Thread: What is the state of the other sports in the GAC?

Contribute to D2

Default What is the state of the other sports in the GAC?

Since football is still about a month away, what is the state of other sports in the GAC and how they compare to the rest of the conferences in D2? I just feel overall sometimes we just don't have the level of overall competition in the GAC. I will say I do believe we hold our own in Softball/Baseball. It does appear we are lagging behind in Basketball. Again we are talking about the conference as a whole.

Default Re: What is the state of the other sports in the GAC?

Quote Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
    Since football is still about a month away, what is the state of other sports in the GAC and how they compare to the rest of the conferences in D2? I just feel overall sometimes we just don't have the level of overall competition in the GAC. I will say I do believe we hold our own in Softball/Baseball. It does appear we are lagging behind in Basketball. Again we are talking about the conference as a whole.
    As a whole, I think we’re lagging in spots. But SAU has competed at a high level in baseball/softball for a long time. OBU had a good baseball run when Norwood was there. Been pretty bad since. HU competes at a high level in women’s b-ball and softball. Ark tech is most definitely nationally relevant in golf. That said, I agree with your overall point. Top of most sports can compete nationally, the drop off from top teams in each sport is just larger imo

Quote Originally Posted by Divisiontwo View Post
    As a whole, I think we’re lagging in spots. But SAU has competed at a high level in baseball/softball for a long time. OBU had a good baseball run when Norwood was there. Been pretty bad since. HU competes at a high level in women’s b-ball and softball. Ark tech is most definitely nationally relevant in golf. That said, I agree with your overall point. Top of most sports can compete nationally, the drop off from top teams in each sport is just larger imo
    It is very hard to compete with the MIAA, GSC and Lone Star in our area.

Football is the only sport that matters!!!

In general, the GAC has made leaps and bounds in a short time. The top end of the conference in most sports now can compete at the absolute highest level. Competitive depth is the next mountain for the league to conquer, and even that is beginning to improve.

The only sports where the GAC struggles to make noise right now are men's basketball and volleyball. I think men's basketball is coming soon. This year's SNU team got a bad draw, but could have made some noise. Volleyball struggles because of the super region that the GAC is in. 35-0 Arkansas Tech barely made the national tournament last season and got a very low seed because the Northern Sun is so loaded. Because of that, volleyball will continue to be an uphill battle until the regions are re-shuffled.

All in all, it's only a matter of time before a GAC school wins a national title. Several schools have been knocking on the door in many different sports.

Here are the best finishes by the conference. The GAC has made the national final four 7 times. . .

2014 Softball - Southeastern Oklahoma State
    2015 Baseball - Henderson State
    2016 Softball - Southern Arkansas
    2017 Women's Basketball - Harding
    2017 Men's Golf - Arkansas Tech
    2017 Football - Harding
    2018 Softball - Southern Arkansas

Round of Eight. . .

2012 Men's Tennis - Ouachita Baptist
    2016 Football - Harding
    2017 Women's Tennis - Southeastern Oklahoma State
    2018 Men's Golf - Arkansas Tech

Round of 16. . .

2012 Men's Basketball - Arkansas Tech
    2015 Men's Tennis - Ouachita Baptist
    2016 Men's Tennis - Southeastern Oklahoma State
    2016 Baseball - Arkansas-Monticello
    2016 Softball - Arkansas Tech
    2017 Women's Soccer - Southwestern Oklahoma State
    2018 Baseball - Southern Arkansas

East Central Men's Cross Country had teams advance to the national meet in 2011 and 2015. Harding Women's Cross Country advanced in 2015 with Oklahoma Baptist advancing in 2017 (their NCAA postseason debut).

Arkansas Tech Women's Golf advanced to the national tournament in 2014, 2015, 2017, and 2018 with Southwestern Oklahoma State in 2014 and Henderson State in 2017.

Southwestern Oklahoma State Men's Golf advanced to the Stroke Play portion of the national championship in 2013 and 2015 with Southeastern Oklahoma State doing the same in 2016 and 2018.

The GAC did win its first national title in 2018. An individual Men's Track & Field Outdoor championship by affiliate Oklahoma Christian. Although it is not a GAC sport, Ouachita Baptist won an individual Wrestling national title in 2015 at the 184 weight class.

It seems the GAC is trending positively when looking at the list. Ten full members are among these top finishes. I believe the conference has done well. As ReddieMade said, "it's only a matter of time before a GAC school wins a national title."

7. Default Re: What is the state of the other sports in the GAC?

Quote Originally Posted by Finishempty Fred View Post
    Football is the only sport that matters!!!
    Never thought I would say this, but I have to agree with you, Fred.