Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: Shepherd-- some very early thoughts

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, District of Columbia, United States
    Posts
    602
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    4281

    Default Shepherd-- some very early thoughts

    Shepherd will be entering its final MEC season which I'm sure the rest of the MEC will want to give Shepherd one last battle in the trenches. Shepherd has a new head coach in Ernie McCook, but it doesn't feel like that will be a huge impact. Coach McCook has been associated with Shepherd football for seventeen years going on eighteen. It will be interesting to see the coaching differences. McCook was a huge reason why Shepherd's offense has opened up so much over the years. After talking to a couple of players on the team, they feel like they have plenty of talent returning to the field this year. Quarterback is a huge concern especially for the start of the season. There is no clear frontrunner going into August. The defense knows they are going to have to be stout this year. The offensive line knows they are going to have to improve on run blocking. They also know they have two very good running backs expected to see the bulk of the carries this year. Funny thing is even with the new coaching staff in place, it might be a return to classic Monte ball-- run the ball and play defense.

    Can't wait!!!!!!!!

  2. Default Re: Shepherd-- some very early thoughts

    I don't see Shepherd sticking to running the ball to slow things down for the new QB. I think Bagent will win out a close battle with Jack Darcy for the QB position. Perhaps possible giving both a shot early on. (If one wins out early -- does the other transfer to Shippensburg after the season with Jesse Correll as the OC) I think both QB's can come in and run the Run Pass Option offense. If we return a healthy Hakeem Holland combined with Feiss, Allen and Cornish. We would be stupid to stick to the run and not stretch the field running an up tempo offense. Its college football, the defense will give up points, we need to make sure we score more than the other team. I really hope we can fill the void on the outstanding pass rushers and Gupton in the middle. My biggest concerns is can we improve the interior defensive line and be able to stop teams on 3rd down. I think we have an excellent recruiting class, I have heard no details regarding transfers in or transfers out. Should be interesting! Go Rams!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Shepherd-- some very early thoughts

    I believe it is a good thing that the new coach has his first season in the last season of play in the MEC. I think this will help establish things with first year QB and with a number of new coaches prior to entering play against PSAC teams. My fear is that they will struggle (at least from what we've been use to over the years) this year given all the changes and really feel the impact of Cater's absence. I have confidence that McCook and Kline will do a good job with the team but it may take a little more time than fans anticipate but we will soon see.

    Does anyone know when fall practice starts and are they open to the public?

    " I think Bagent will win out a close battle with Jack Darcy for the QB position." I don't see these two guys on the roster? These are the QBs I see on the roster.

    13 Tyler Crounse QB Jr. 5-10 245 Lusby, Md. Patuxent
    14 Lane Bryson QB So. 5-11 190 Gainesville, Va. Battlefield
    15 Calvin Reighard QB Sr. 6-1 210 Germantown, Md. Seneca Valley
    19 Stephen Curran QB Jr. 6-1 205 Galena, Md. Kent County

  4. Default Re: Shepherd-- some very early thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by wvftballfan View Post
    I believe it is a good thing that the new coach has his first season in the last season of play in the MEC. I think this will help establish things with first year QB and with a number of new coaches prior to entering play against PSAC teams. My fear is that they will struggle (at least from what we've been use to over the years) this year given all the changes and really feel the impact of Cater's absence. I have confidence that McCook and Kline will do a good job with the team but it may take a little more time than fans anticipate but we will soon see.

    Does anyone know when fall practice starts and are they open to the public?

    " I think Bagent will win out a close battle with Jack Darcy for the QB position." I don't see these two guys on the roster? These are the QBs I see on the roster.

    13 Tyler Crounse QB Jr. 5-10 245 Lusby, Md. Patuxent
    14 Lane Bryson QB So. 5-11 190 Gainesville, Va. Battlefield
    15 Calvin Reighard QB Sr. 6-1 210 Germantown, Md. Seneca Valley
    19 Stephen Curran QB Jr. 6-1 205 Galena, Md. Kent County

    Incoming freshman and transfers are not included on the roster yet. There will be some tweaks to that list. I don't think Deonte Glover will be on the roster after popping up on the local police report today.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Shepherd-- some very early thoughts

    NCAA rules for fall camp are hindered by the start of school and the start of competition...

    If your school starts August 13; football camp can start August 3...
    9 days of practice 4 after the mandatory 5 day acclimation with mandatory off day every 6

    Shepherd could start August 8 with school starting August 27, so 16 days of practice, 11 after he 5 day acclimation period... so 11 practices before school starts going into the first game... if August 27 is first day of school... then and NDC have same start date last I looked..

  6. #6

    Default Re: Shepherd-- some very early thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by rockytopram View Post
    Incoming freshman and transfers are not included on the roster yet. There will be some tweaks to that list. I don't think Deonte Glover will be on the roster after popping up on the local police report today.
    Are these incoming freshmen or transfers?

  7. Default Re: Shepherd-- some very early thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by wvftballfan View Post
    Are these incoming freshmen or transfers?
    Freshmen

  8. #8

    Default Re: Shepherd-- some very early thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by rockytopram View Post
    Incoming freshman and transfers are not included on the roster yet. There will be some tweaks to that list. I don't think Deonte Glover will be on the roster after popping up on the local police report today.
    Thanks
    Last edited by wvftballfan; 07-28-2018 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Edit

  9. #9

    Default Re: Shepherd-- some very early thoughts

    This Deonte Glover is 30 years old according to the Martinsburg Journal. Also arrested were Deonte Glover, 30, of Job Road, Inwood;

  10. #10

    Default Re: Shepherd-- some very early thoughts

    It’s Shepherd’s Glover. They corrected his age to 20 in a later report. Prostitution? Really? You’re 20. Get a girlfriend or go to a party.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Indiana, Pa.
    Posts
    7,753
    Rep Power
    90044

    Default Re: Shepherd-- some very early thoughts

    Yeah, that's not one you see very often when it comes to college athletes being booted off a team.

  12. Default Re: Shepherd-- some very early thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Yeah, that's not one you see very often when it comes to college athletes being booted off a team.
    Situations like this is one of the reasons Cater and crew lightly recruited the local talent in the Panhandle. Too many players tend to get in trouble when there is free time being close to home. It is usually because of a fight or possession. Agree, I don't see this that often. MPD just busted 5 others a week or two prior. I also saw an individual from one street from my house included on this list.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Upper Frog Hollow, WV
    Posts
    1,712
    Rep Power
    423

    Default Re: Shepherd-- some very early thoughts

    Wasn't Glover initially a walk on to WVU then transferred to Shepherd. That's been awhile. Surely Glover would be over 20 by now.

  14. Default Re: Shepherd-- some very early thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsnut View Post
    Wasn't Glover initially a walk on to WVU then transferred to Shepherd. That's been awhile. Surely Glover would be over 20 by now.
    Yes, he started out at WVU.

  15. Default Re: Shepherd-- some very early thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by wvftballfan View Post

    " I think Bagent will win out a close battle with Jack Darcy for the QB position." I don't see these two guys on the roster? These are the QBs I see on the roster.

    13 Tyler Crounse QB Jr. 5-10 245 Lusby, Md. Patuxent
    14 Lane Bryson QB So. 5-11 190 Gainesville, Va. Battlefield
    15 Calvin Reighard QB Sr. 6-1 210 Germantown, Md. Seneca Valley
    19 Stephen Curran QB Jr. 6-1 205 Galena, Md. Kent County


    Looks like the 2018 Roster is being updated--freshman are being added: https://shepherdrams.com/roster.aspx?path=football

    Sad to see Hakeem Holland removed— he was a talent I wanted to see
    Last edited by rockytopram; 07-31-2018 at 02:35 PM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    12,016
    Rep Power
    136894

    Default Re: Shepherd-- some very early thoughts

    Certainly there must be more than three RBs on the roster...right?

  17. #17

    Default Re: Shepherd-- some very early thoughts

    Wonder what happened to Holland?

  18. Default Re: Shepherd-- some very early thoughts

    We have 3 # “15”, we should be set!!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    469
    Rep Power
    5263

    Default Re: Shepherd-- some very early thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    Certainly there must be more than three RBs on the roster...right?
    Yeah....unless a few of the incoming freshmen or possible transfer did not have the academics to get in.

    Guess we have to play the waiting game.

  20. Default Re: Shepherd-- some very early thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    Yeah....unless a few of the incoming freshmen or possible transfer did not have the academics to get in.

    Guess we have to play the waiting game.
    I'm aware of two freshman commits. Now if they end up in Shepherdstown, we will have to wait and see. Zyan is listed on the roster, just his number is in the position column.

    Antwan Squire
    https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3785907...b2890d2cb8e384

    Zyan Sturdivant
    https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3785907...b2890d2cb8e384

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •