Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 65 of 65

Thread: Moving on up to D1

  1. #61

    Default Re: Moving on up to D1

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    They have PLENTY of $$. But here in Texas, Catholic schools are NOT big into sports. Academics rule.

    Plus, what private school blows away the State schools consistently in football?????
    Pops is right. The Private & Catholic schools would prefer their athletes left with a BA or BS degree after 4-5 years. Not with a CTE.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,844
    Rep Power
    12961

    Default Re: Moving on up to D1

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Whitfield View Post
    Pops is right. The Private & Catholic schools would prefer their athletes left with a BA or BS degree after 4-5 years. Not with a CTE.
    Same with the Texas Catholic Schools (middle & high school). Some have even dropped football.

    I'll tell you.....as much as I LOVE football I would NOT encourage anyone to play beyond HS. My son injured his knee during a game and had surgery to repair it. 8 months later, once released by the surgeon to return to activity, the schools strength coach gave him a work-out to do until Fall camp. On his FIRST day doing the workout, he fractured the knee. He returned to the surgeon who stated it was the routine that caused the injury. The problem, the school refused to pay for care because it didnt happen on campus or during a team function.

    Private insurance refused to pay because it was considered a sports injury connected to the original injury at the school.

    Today, he MUST wear a bandage DAILY as his knee leaks fluid through the surgical location. He played his final year like that. No trainer addressed the issue. He tried and tried to get the school to cover the costs of repair, but the trainer and AD refused.

    4 years later and he is STILL trying to get insurance or the school to cover the repairs....until then, he has a knee doubled in size, can't function properly and is in pain daily. BUT, still has to function and work to feed his family.

    ALL THIS to have a winning season and set a stupid record. And of course, as with most college programs, once you are no longer an asset, no one cares....(well, some colleges do stay loyal to former players and take care of them. I know U of Houston paid for a player's medical costs several years after he graduated....same with ND & Alabama).

  3. #63

    Default Re: Moving on up to D1

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    Same with the Texas Catholic Schools (middle & high school). Some have even dropped football.

    I'll tell you.....as much as I LOVE football I would NOT encourage anyone to play beyond HS. My son injured his knee during a game and had surgery to repair it. 8 months later, once released by the surgeon to return to activity, the schools strength coach gave him a work-out to do until Fall camp. On his FIRST day doing the workout, he fractured the knee. He returned to the surgeon who stated it was the routine that caused the injury. The problem, the school refused to pay for care because it didnt happen on campus or during a team function.

    Private insurance refused to pay because it was considered a sports injury connected to the original injury at the school.

    Today, he MUST wear a bandage DAILY as his knee leaks fluid through the surgical location. He played his final year like that. No trainer addressed the issue. He tried and tried to get the school to cover the costs of repair, but the trainer and AD refused.

    4 years later and he is STILL trying to get insurance or the school to cover the repairs....until then, he has a knee doubled in size, can't function properly and is in pain daily. BUT, still has to function and work to feed his family.

    ALL THIS to have a winning season and set a stupid record. And of course, as with most college programs, once you are no longer an asset, no one cares....(well, some colleges do stay loyal to former players and take care of them. I know U of Houston paid for a player's medical costs several years after he graduated....same with ND & Alabama).
    Agreed. People have no idea how brutal college athletics is on your body. I can tell you both male and female athletes suffer knee, wrist, elbow injuries that they pay for long after their playing days are over. Its best to NOT USE team physicians and find an expert physician who doesn't have ties to any university when it comes to surgery.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Angelo, TX
    Posts
    2,168
    Rep Power
    36801

    Default Re: Moving on up to D1

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    Same with the Texas Catholic Schools (middle & high school). Some have even dropped football.

    I'll tell you.....as much as I LOVE football I would NOT encourage anyone to play beyond HS. My son injured his knee during a game and had surgery to repair it. 8 months later, once released by the surgeon to return to activity, the schools strength coach gave him a work-out to do until Fall camp. On his FIRST day doing the workout, he fractured the knee. He returned to the surgeon who stated it was the routine that caused the injury. The problem, the school refused to pay for care because it didnt happen on campus or during a team function.

    Private insurance refused to pay because it was considered a sports injury connected to the original injury at the school.

    Today, he MUST wear a bandage DAILY as his knee leaks fluid through the surgical location. He played his final year like that. No trainer addressed the issue. He tried and tried to get the school to cover the costs of repair, but the trainer and AD refused.

    4 years later and he is STILL trying to get insurance or the school to cover the repairs....until then, he has a knee doubled in size, can't function properly and is in pain daily. BUT, still has to function and work to feed his family.

    ALL THIS to have a winning season and set a stupid record. And of course, as with most college programs, once you are no longer an asset, no one cares....(well, some colleges do stay loyal to former players and take care of them. I know U of Houston paid for a player's medical costs several years after he graduated....same with ND & Alabama).
    I believe, don't quote me on this, but I believe a lot of these type issues have been cleared up with the renewed partnership with the local hospital. I know that the orthopedics, training staff, coaches, and AD now having weekly meetings together to determine course of action and what not. Sad to hear that he is still having issues.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,844
    Rep Power
    12961

    Default Re: Moving on up to D1

    Quote Originally Posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    I believe, don't quote me on this, but I believe a lot of these type issues have been cleared up with the renewed partnership with the local hospital. I know that the orthopedics, training staff, coaches, and AD now having weekly meetings together to determine course of action and what not. Sad to hear that he is still having issues.
    I sure hope so. In my opinion, ASU head trainer was/is a weak spot. He cleared guys to play injured. My son played an entire season with a separated shoulder, it's now severely deformed.

    Unfortunately, you get athletes who are foolish and will play no matter what. I mean don't get me wrong, I love & respect tough players who are WILLING to play injured, but it's up to coaches, trainers, and the school's leadership to PROTECT student athletes. PERIOD.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •