Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Coaches in the GAC currently?

Contribute to D2

Default Best Coaches in the GAC currently?

Who are some of the best coaches in the GAC currently?

Think about what they have done since they have been here, where the program was before, and where is the program headed in the future.

Here are my top picks in no order:

1. Scott Maxfield- Has been constant, every year Henderson has a chance for a Title. Almost had a job at UAPB.
    2. Paul Simmons-Good first year and solid coaching years as an assistant at Harding. Can he keep it up?
    3. Tod Knight-Only recent success with OBU, very good at Delta (I think that is right). Has turned OBU into one of the top Football programs in the GAC.
    4. Bill Keopple-May have had the greatest turn arounds for a GAC program. SAU has been historically terrible. Will not be surprised if he is offered a job by a FCS school.
    5. SE OK Coach-Don't know too much, but they are a dark horse program now.

Thoughts? Who am I missing? Remember this is a current list. No reason to name coaches who coached 20 years ago.

Default Re: Best Coaches in the GAC currently?

Quote Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post

Think about what they have done since they have been here, where the program was before, and where is the program headed in the future.

1. Scott Maxfield- Has been constant, every year Henderson has a chance for a Title. Almost had a job at UAPB.
    2. Paul Simmons-Good first year and solid coaching years as an assistant at Harding. Can he keep it up?
    3. Tod Knight-Only recent success with OBU, very good at Delta (I think that is right). Has turned OBU into one of the top Football programs in the GAC.
    4. Bill Keopple-May have had the greatest turn arounds for a GAC program. SAU has been historically terrible. Will not be surprised if he is offered a job by a FCS school.

Thoughts? Who am I missing? Remember this is a current list. No reason to name coaches who coached 20 years ago.
    10 straight winning seasons, I wouldn't call that recent success. Coach Knight is the GOAT of the GAC. Coach Simmons doesn't belong in the conversation. He doesn't have enough tenure to be judged as a head coach.

Maxfield is 54-12 against GAC competition since the inception of the league and five of those losses came last season.

I think it's safe to say he's the one everyone else is chasing. I'd put Knight No. 2, Keopple No. 3 and then everyone else.

Simmons will be there soon IMO, but you can't put him ahead of those three's sustained success after just one year.

Quote Originally Posted by ReddieMade View Post
    Maxfield is 54-12 against GAC competition since the inception of the league and five of those losses came last season.

I think it's safe to say he's the one everyone else is chasing. I'd put Knight No. 2, Keopple No. 3 and then everyone else.

Simmons will be there soon IMO, but you can't put him ahead of those three's sustained success after just one year.
    I can live with this assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Finishempty Fred View Post
    I can live with this assessment.
    Your original response was "I can agree to that."

Just wanted to make sure everyone knows you conceded to that before you altered your response.

Maxfield at this point.... but with all the things going on at HU, I think even those outside the program see the continued upward trajectory there. Simmons will be the guy soon enough. So glad he loves HU and will be our guy for a while.

Your original response was "I can agree to that."

Just wanted to make sure everyone knows you conceded to that before you altered your response.
    Yeah I forgot that was the coach of them things from across the street lol

Spot on ranking. I am convinced Finishempty Fred is really Rex Nelson.

Hahahahaha that would be hilarious, but I don’t think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Divisiontwo View Post
    Hahahahaha that would be hilarious, but I don’t think so.
    I don't know Rex Nelson is a pretty crazy guy.

Not even close, but good try. Lol

I'm pretty sure Rex is too busy to come on this board and agitate all the rivals. That's my job!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Finishempty Fred View Post
    I'm pretty sure Rex is too busy to come on this board and agitate all the rivals. That's my job!!!!!
    Rex is one of those guys where he became a Sports Personality in Arkansas for doing random jobs in Arkansas and meeting those local celebrities.

Hud Jackson is a magician, have you ever been to Monticello?

Quote Originally Posted by Weevil Watcher View Post
    I have. It alsways seems to be over really quick when we go though. Been long time since Allred

You’ve obviously not been here. Last time here with Harding it was awesome. Y’all won. But we competed at a high level.

Considering you are ranked in top 5 nationally, why would you even respond?

Rhetorical of course.

17. Default Re: Best Coaches in the GAC currently?

You’ve obviously not been here. Last time here with Harding it was awesome. Y’all won. But we competed at a high level.

Rhetorical of course.
    Last year was a really good game between HU and UAM. Tolliver was a beast...very impressed with him in that game. But last year was in Searcy, not Monticello. When we were there in 2016 the score was 36-0 at halftime, and Harding won 57-7. That being said, y'all's defense was much improved last year, and I am interested to see what you do this year. Jackson should be commended for his recent coordinator hires as they have helped make UAM more competitive.

Ray Monica at Arkansas Tech. I'm personally biased because of what I saw him do at Kutztown in the PSAC (he led the Golden Bears to their first ever PSAC football title in 2011), but compared to Scott Maxfield, Tod Knight and Paul Simmons, I would argue that Monica has been one of the more underrated coaches in the GAC given what he's building in Russellville.

Bo Atterberry is the head coach at SOSU, BTW.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Rhetorical of course.

You obviously weren’t there the last time HU was. I’ve been to Monticello plenty. Seen some good teams and some even better players there.

Weevil Watcher ya got to stay away from that bottle. I believe he is 23-53. He sure is a magician though, he makes wins "disappear".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast