Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: East vs. West Challenge coming to Sanford Pentagon

  1. #1

    Default East vs. West Challenge coming to Sanford Pentagon


  2. #2

    Default Re: East vs. West Challenge coming to Sanford Pentagon

    Cool!

  3. #3

    Default Re: East vs. West Challenge coming to Sanford Pentagon

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Cool!
    I was waiting for someone else to post as I am boycotting Swisher due to his traitor-like avatar change, haha

    This is cool, I dont hate it. I always thought they should do a big basketball extravaganza like this adding all the schools of SD. Not crossing over levels but just a big weekend showcasing college hoops in SD, SDSU/USD included. Heck, you could even add in the ND schools, play it at centrally located NSU and make a party out of it. It wont happen but for the people of the State of Hoops, itd be outstanding. I hope I dont have to eat crow, but I wouldn't expect Augie and NSU to struggle too much with the west river schools as they havent exactly had a great transition to D2

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    160 miles S of SUFU. As a crow flies
    Posts
    1,533
    Rep Power
    296546

    Default Re: East vs. West Challenge coming to Sanford Pentagon

    Sounds like some Sioux Falls Sun conference home cooking to me.

  5. #5

    Default Re: East vs. West Challenge coming to Sanford Pentagon

    Quote Originally Posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    I was waiting for someone else to post as I am boycotting Swisher due to his traitor-like avatar change, haha

    This is cool, I dont hate it. I always thought they should do a big basketball extravaganza like this adding all the schools of SD. Not crossing over levels but just a big weekend showcasing college hoops in SD, SDSU/USD included. Heck, you could even add in the ND schools, play it at centrally located NSU and make a party out of it. It wont happen but for the people of the State of Hoops, itd be outstanding. I hope I dont have to eat crow, but I wouldn't expect Augie and NSU to struggle too much with the west river schools as they havent exactly had a great transition to D2
    It's just so perfect to have an event like this, with two Division II teams on the west end of the state and two Division II teams on the east end of the state.

    I actually don't love the rotating venues though. Why are BHSU and NSU the only two allowed to host games at their home venue? I suppose Augie is the defacto host at the Pentagon so I'm not too upset over that, but what about Mines? As currently scheduled, you have three games out east and only one in the west.

  6. #6

    Default Re: East vs. West Challenge coming to Sanford Pentagon

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    It's just so perfect to have an event like this, with two Division II teams on the west end of the state and two Division II teams on the east end of the state.

    I actually don't love the rotating venues though. Why are BHSU and NSU the only two allowed to host games at their home venue? I suppose Augie is the defacto host at the Pentagon so I'm not too upset over that, but what about Mines? As currently scheduled, you have three games out east and only one in the west.
    Perhaps there is a revenue split and they know how many would com to the Barnett Center.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    863
    Rep Power
    189219

    Default Re: East vs. West Challenge coming to Sanford Pentagon

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    It's just so perfect to have an event like this, with two Division II teams on the west end of the state and two Division II teams on the east end of the state.
    The Cougars say hello from the east side of the state.

    In all seriousness, I don't follow basketball enough, or really at all, but I found it a little odd that USF was not a part of this East-West Challenge. Especially considering our history with playing BHSU and SDSMT during the transitions and in the past. Odd man out with 5 D2s in SD? Likely.

    I am a fan of the NSIC-MIAA challenge. Seems to work well for regional ranking purposes. Not sure if this replaces that for NSU and AU or simply adds some more games.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    863
    Rep Power
    189219

    Default Re: East vs. West Challenge coming to Sanford Pentagon

    Quote Originally Posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    I always thought they should do a big basketball extravaganza like this adding all the schools of SD. Not crossing over levels but just a big weekend showcasing college hoops in SD, SDSU/USD included. Heck, you could even add in the ND schools, play it at centrally located NSU and make a party out of it. It wont happen but for the people of the State of Hoops, itd be outstanding. I hope I dont have to eat crow, but I wouldn't expect Augie and NSU to struggle too much with the west river schools as they havent exactly had a great transition to D2
    I really like this idea. South Dakota's version of Hockey Day in Minnesota. Maybe Midco or heck even the network stations would be on-board to broadcast stuff all day. Make an event outta it. Hockey Day in MN seems to be very well received.

  9. #9

    Default Re: East vs. West Challenge coming to Sanford Pentagon

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Day View Post
    The Cougars say hello from the east side of the state.
    Well now I feel stupid....

    Once Augie moves up to Division I, USF can slide into its place and my post would be accurate.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    863
    Rep Power
    189219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Well now I feel stupid....

    Once Augie moves up to Division I, USF can slide into its place and my post would be accurate.
    Someone needs to keep the Sioux Falls Sun Conference dream alive!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    2,470
    Rep Power
    45374

    Default Re: East vs. West Challenge coming to Sanford Pentagon

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Day View Post
    Someone needs to keep the Sioux Falls Sun Conference dream alive!
    It makes me beam with pride that my Sioux Falls Sun Conference name is sticking! This will be a thing!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,843
    Rep Power
    189456

    Default Re: East vs. West Challenge coming to Sanford Pentagon

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Day View Post
    The Cougars say hello from the east side of the state.

    In all seriousness, I don't follow basketball enough, or really at all, but I found it a little odd that USF was not a part of this East-West Challenge. Especially considering our history with playing BHSU and SDSMT during the transitions and in the past. Odd man out with 5 D2s in SD? Likely.
    Two obvious reasons USF was excluded:
    1) Augie and Northern have sponsorship deals with Sanford and this event will be played at the Sanford Pentagon when it is in Sioux Falls. USF has a sponsorship deal with Avera
    2) Northern leads the country in D2 attendance every year and Augie is top 5 consistently. Meanwhile USF has middle of the road attendance among NSIC schools.

    What's ironic is USF should have the best record of all South Dakota D2 schools this coming season. If they dont make the Regional this season it probably wont happen before the school goes bankrupt.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    160 miles S of SUFU. As a crow flies
    Posts
    1,533
    Rep Power
    296546

    Default Re: East vs. West Challenge coming to Sanford Pentagon

    Quote Originally Posted by Augieholic View Post
    Two obvious reasons USF was excluded:
    1) Augie and Northern have sponsorship deals with Sanford and this event will be played at the Sanford Pentagon when it is in Sioux Falls. USF has a sponsorship deal with Avera
    2) Northern leads the country in D2 attendance every year and Augie is top 5 consistently. Meanwhile USF has middle of the road attendance among NSIC schools.

    What's ironic is USF should have the best record of all South Dakota D2 schools this coming season. If they dont make the Regional this season it probably wont happen before the school goes bankrupt.
    Bankrupt...They are AU enemy in sports but those are harsh words, unless you have information that I do not have.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    863
    Rep Power
    189219

    Default Re: East vs. West Challenge coming to Sanford Pentagon

    Ahhh forgot about Sanford/Avera angle. Makes sense.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    2,470
    Rep Power
    45374

    Default Re: East vs. West Challenge coming to Sanford Pentagon

    Quote Originally Posted by Augieholic View Post
    Two obvious reasons USF was excluded:
    1) Augie and Northern have sponsorship deals with Sanford and this event will be played at the Sanford Pentagon when it is in Sioux Falls. USF has a sponsorship deal with Avera
    2) Northern leads the country in D2 attendance every year and Augie is top 5 consistently. Meanwhile USF has middle of the road attendance among NSIC schools.

    What's ironic is USF should have the best record of all South Dakota D2 schools this coming season. If they dont make the Regional this season it probably wont happen before the school goes bankrupt.
    Getting a little snarly in Sioux Falls!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •