Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Lone Star Conference Media Day 2018

Contribute to D2

Default Re: Lone Star Conference Media Day 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Whitfield View Post
    However, an 8-3 record might get a team an invitation to the Heart Of Texas Bowl (In Waco this year) or the Live United Texarkana Bowl (Texarkana, AR)
    not if that team is from Portales!

Quote Originally Posted by Boohaha View Post
    Bitter party of one, your table is ready!

If your Hounds have as big a chip on their shoulders as you do, they should do well this season.

Quote Originally Posted by WT_ALUM08 View Post
    Hahahahahahaha

Thanks for the laugh on a otherwise very mundane Tuesday. I’m sure the wagon wheel is coming straight back at you.

I went to the first WT practice. 120 kids suited up. I was told 6 or 7 more are still awaiting some summer grades and NCAA clearinghouse stuff. To quote A WT HC coach who coaches another (more minor) sport, "I hate the f*cking NCAA."

Impressions:
    Mitch Hood will be the QB. Good arm. Good arm strength. Can make the long sideline out pass. Very accurate. Mobile. I'm told he's smart, makes good reads, and has a commanding presence in the huddle.

I counted 17 OL's. Some big boys. Young. Talented. But, young.

WR corps much better than last year. A large contingent of them. Again, very young. Some speed, some size.

RB's have speed.

DB's look way ahead talent-wise than last year. But, young.

DL's need a few of those clearinghouse guys to get cleared.

Two HS kids were brought in to supplement Cummins for kicking duties. One from outside Wichita, Ks who was rated the best HS placekicker in Kansas last year and one from Austin. Chatted with them. Both had multiple kicks over 50 yards last year.

I talked with several kids. Enthusiasm seems high.

I haven't checked out the latest roster yet, but the Buffs have few seniors, not so many juniors or sophomores, and a boatload of RSF and freshmen. Young, young, young. We'll be a work in progress. Better than last year, but certainly not where Hughes is headed. If you look up in the 4th quarter and the top teams in the LSC are still playing their two deeps in the 4th quarter, I'd call that great progress over last year.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 08-07-2018 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    If your Hounds have as big a chip on their shoulders as you do, they should do well this season.
    According to the last article that just may be so, more guys were in summer workouts than ever before, fall camp has started very fast.

According to the last article that just may be so, more guys were in summer workouts than ever before, fall camp has started very fast.
    Last weekend was move-in for the football players. I've moved over to a nicer part of town and now I get to drive by the stadium every day. I'm looking forward to seeing the result of all the summer football camps we've been hosting, and the ability to boast a national ranking. I've heard that we have signed some massive lineman, granted that was word of mouth from RAs so their judgement of what is "massive" may not be the same as what I think. It's easy to be optimistic without seeing the competition, but I think ENMU will be making some positive changes on the defensive side of the ball. If we can fill in the hole Cass left behind, we will be in control of our own destiny this season.

*lifts green tinted glasses to scratch nose*

9. Default Re: Lone Star Conference Media Day 2018

Quote Originally Posted by BuffTough View Post
    I will answer with my maroon tinted glasses. If you think WT is finishing 8th you are kidding yourself. I think most people are sleeping on the buffs because of what they did last year on offense. If WT can get the offensive line gelling early in the year I fully expect WT to have a winning season. Based off some of the things I have been hearing out of that locker room....WT may have the biggest O-Line in the conference. Depending on what the coaches want to do with the true freshman lineman this could be an awesome year. Hughes was smart with his redshirts last year and let a lot of players develop. I am hearing this year might be different, he feels that some of the new players to the program will be ready to start first year in. Secondly I think WT finally has a legit starter for QB and one grooming for the future starting position. If the defense can perform as well as they did last year.... I think WT can finish up to 4th in the conference. Watch out for the 2019 season...... If they develop and get all cylinders firing.. they can be scary.

That was 100% maroon tinted with a lot of optimism.
    Hope you are right! If the Buffs could double their win total from 2017, that would be an amazing turn around. To think that Mike Nesbitt could not win more than six games in each of his last three seasons and he was asked to clean out his desk

10. Default Re: Lone Star Conference Media Day 2018

Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    And a couple nights at a Holiday Inn Express
    Nothing wrong with that. At least the players will feel smarter.

11. Default Re: Lone Star Conference Media Day 2018

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    I went to the first WT practice. 120 kids suited up. I was told 6 or 7 more are still awaiting some summer grades and NCAA clearinghouse stuff. To quote A WT HC coach who coaches another (more minor) sport, "I hate the f*cking NCAA."

Impressions:
    Mitch Hood will be the QB. Good arm. Good arm strength. Can make the long sideline out pass. Very accurate. Mobile. I'm told he's smart, makes good reads, and has a commanding presence in the huddle.

I counted 17 OL's. Some big boys. Young. Talented. But, young.

WR corps much better than last year. A large contingent of them. Again, very young. Some speed, some size.

RB's have speed.

DB's look way ahead talent-wise than last year. But, young.

DL's need a few of those clearinghouse guys to get cleared.

Two HS kids were brought in to supplement Cummins for kicking duties. One from outside Wichita, Ks who was rated the best HS placekicker in Kansas last year and one from Austin. Chatted with them. Both had multiple kicks over 50 yards last year.

I talked with several kids. Enthusiasm seems high.

I haven't checked out the latest roster yet, but the Buffs have few seniors, not so many juniors or sophomores, and a boatload of RSF and freshmen. Young, young, young. We'll be a work in progress. Better than last year, but certainly not where Hughes is headed. If you look up in the 4th quarter and the top teams in the LSC are still playing their two deeps in the 4th quarter, I'd call that great progress over last year.
    Thanks chip for the updates, keep them coming

12. Default Re: Lone Star Conference Media Day 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie8myBrainz View Post
    Last weekend was move-in for the football players. I've moved over to a nicer part of town and now I get to drive by the stadium every day. I'm looking forward to seeing the result of all the summer football camps we've been hosting, and the ability to boast a national ranking. I've heard that we have signed some massive lineman, granted that was word of mouth from RAs so their judgement of what is "massive" may not be the same as what I think. It's easy to be optimistic without seeing the competition, but I think ENMU will be making some positive changes on the defensive side of the ball. If we can fill in the hole Cass left behind, we will be in control of our own destiny this season.

*lifts green tinted glasses to scratch nose*
    There's a nice part of Portales?

Quote Originally Posted by gruesome View Post
    its all nice

Quote Originally Posted by gruesome View Post

15. Default Re: Lone Star Conference Media Day 2018

Wow!!! Now that’s good

my favorite place is when i walk in to Greyhound arena and see the Wagon Wheel still hanging there!

my favorite place is when i walk in to Greyhound arena and see the Wagon Wheel still hanging there!

Stopped in at MARK’s grill in Portales last week
    Great burger and onion rings
    Didnt know the place existed till someone told us in Artesia

19. Default Re: Lone Star Conference Media Day 2018

That’s true the last couple years, hopefully we can be competitive again to challenge for it. If eastern didn’t win a few games we couldn’t call it a rivalry. ( we let you barrow it,not keep it)

Quote Originally Posted by Little squirrel View Post
    That’s true the last couple years, hopefully we can be competitive again to challenge for it. If eastern didn’t win a few games we couldn’t call it a rivalry. ( we let you barrow it,not keep it)
    15-15, and before Don Carthel came along Eastern was starting to walk away with it. in the past 5 years WT has won once.

But i do love the rivalry!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast