Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GVSU 2018

Default GVSU 2018

I noticed that GVSU updated its 2018 football roster which seems to be pretty final heading into camp. I’ve noticed a lot of key contributors get New Jersey #’s as well as a lot of transfers across the DL and 1 on the OL and RB. They seem to have put together a very strong team on paper. Thoughts?

http://www.gvsulakers.com/roster.aspx?path=football

2. Default Re: GVSU 2018

Also have a very strong recruiting class coming in.

Default Re: GVSU 2018

Quote Originally Posted by OhioDadGVSON View Post
    Also have a very strong recruiting class coming in.
    Glad you're excited, Dad. and I'm sure your son is a fine player. Keep in mind, that on average, there is a MAX of one true freshman that plays each year at GV. In most years, all of the new recruits red-shirt. Not saying it won't happen, but the premise that this "strong recruiting class" will impact anything on the field this season is probably unlikely.

4. Default Re: GVSU 2018

They certainly have a ton of talent. We’ll see if this group can regain the “edge” that Ferris and Ashland has over them last season. I hope the boys are extremely hungry and motivated to play Indy at home after the way they lost last season to start @indianapolis, especially with this being Bart’s last season. The team was a few plays away from going 11-0 or 10-1 last season so hopefully with most the big games at home, the ball will bounce our way this time around

5. Default Re: GVSU 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Irishlaker View Post
    Glad you're excited, Dad. and I'm sure your son is a fine player. Keep in mind, that on average, there is a MAX of one true freshman that plays each year at GV. In most years, all of the new recruits red-shirt. Not saying it won't happen, but the premise that this "strong recruiting class" will impact anything on the field this season is probably unlikely.
    I get it for sure. I understand the situation. GO LAKERS.

6. Default Re: GVSU 2018

Quote Originally Posted by GVLakerFan24 View Post
    They certainly have a ton of talent. We’ll see if this group can regain the “edge” that Ferris and Ashland has over them last season. I hope the boys are extremely hungry and motivated to play Indy at home after the way they lost last season to start @indianapolis, especially with this being Bart’s last season. The team was a few plays away from going 11-0 or 10-1 last season so hopefully with most the big games at home, the ball will bounce our way this time around
    I honestly believe GV will make a serious run this year. I’m interested to see how the defensive line develops without EJ WhItlow (great DL Coach that took a job at Miami Ohio) but from the looks of it GV could easily go 10-1 or 11-0 this season. They have a tough schedule but the beauty about that is the fact that a lot of those tough games will be played in Lubbers.

7. Default Re: GVSU 2018

Quote Originally Posted by CasualFootballFan View Post
    I honestly believe GV will make a serious run this year. I’m interested to see how the defensive line develops without EJ WhItlow (great DL Coach that took a job at Miami Ohio) but from the looks of it GV could easily go 10-1 or 11-0 this season. They have a tough schedule but the beauty about that is the fact that a lot of those tough games will be played in Lubbers.
    Yes they lost a very good D line coach in Whitlow. But they hired a very capable young coach in Jalon Bibbs. I don’t believe there will be a drop off at all.

The thing I am most interested in is the amount of transfers on the roster this year. I don't think we ever tried to "avoid" D1 transfers, but we rarely have had as many D1 transfers on the roster as we do now. By my count, 14 on the roster this year, with a couple more from NAIA. We had 13 D1 transfers last year, but only a handful of them played meaningful minutes. Part of me wonders if maybe the program has seen other schools building up quickly with transfers and decided to dive head first in to the same type of thing? I mean you just had West Florida get to the title game with almost an entire team of transfers. Guess we'll see how many of these guys plays this season.

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    The thing I am most interested in is the amount of transfers on the roster this year. I don't think we ever tried to "avoid" D1 transfers, but we rarely have had as many D1 transfers on the roster as we do now. By my count, 14 on the roster this year, with a couple more from NAIA. We had 13 D1 transfers last year, but only a handful of them played meaningful minutes. Part of me wonders if maybe the program has seen other schools building up quickly with transfers and decided to dive head first in to the same type of thing? I mean you just had West Florida get to the title game with almost an entire team of transfers. Guess we'll see how many of these guys plays this season.

I think the right ones can obviously help. I just don’t know that it’s sustainabke long term to depend on them. Commerce had loads of them as well as West Florida. Just think eventually the culture it builds could become the issue. GV has done quite well doing it the “right” way. As a fan, I prefer that. NWMSU is prime example of dominating without it. GV isn’t so inferior to them to need that IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Divisiontwo View Post
    I think the right ones can obviously help. I just don’t know that it’s sustainabke long term to depend on them. Commerce had loads of them as well as West Florida. Just think eventually the culture it builds could become the issue. GV has done quite well doing it the “right” way. As a fan, I prefer that. NWMSU is prime example of dominating without it. GV isn’t so inferior to them to need that IMO.
    I think it might be necessary when the teams in your own conference you are chasing are doing it. Usually, teams in a conference are going to replicate what the top dog is doing to try and catch them. No different here.

Northville, MI (after over 35 yrs in Midland, MI)

I think it might be necessary when the teams in your own conference you are chasing are doing it. Usually, teams in a conference are going to replicate what the top dog is doing to try and catch them. No different here.
    This could be dangerous for me to post, but I'll take the hit. Could it be a means to bypass a tough admission level? Yes the CURRENT GV leadership does require a certain level of HS success. Transfers don't need to meet as high a bar as a freshman to be admitted to a school, including GV. So I bet it's a combo of thing. Local talent- how far can one fiscally recruit?, and academics.

Fire away.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
    This could be dangerous for me to post, but I'll take the hit. Could it be a means to bypass a tough admission level? Yes the CURRENT GV leadership does require a certain level of HS success. Transfers don't need to meet as high a bar as a freshman to be admitted to a school, including GV. So I bet it's a combo of thing. Local talent- how far can one fiscally recruit?, and academics.

Fire away.
    I don't believe that to be the case. GVSU transfer requirements include a 2.5 GPA at your previous school. The middle 50% of freshman admissions at GVSU have at least a 3.3 GPA, which leads me to believe the minimum GPA is probably around 2.5, and that's for high school, which is by all standards easier than college.

Not that it matters much, but one of the transfers, Thad Little, had been on GVSU's team previously, then transferred to a CC, and now is back at GVSU (and was last year). So he got in previously. Haha.

Fire away.
    That's very interesting. If you are right, it's a great job by the coaches to find a way. I believe Truman State has extremely difficult transfer rules. To transfer in, a student had to be eligible for TSU admission standards out of high school. So theoretically, a student could have a 4.0 in three years at a school and still not be eligible to transfer to Truman.

I don't believe that to be the case. GVSU transfer requirements include a 2.5 GPA at your previous school. The middle 50% of freshman admissions at GVSU have at least a 3.3 GPA, which leads me to believe the minimum GPA is probably around 2.5, and that's for high school, which is by all standards easier than college.

Not that it matters much, but one of the transfers, Thad Little, had been on GVSU's team previously, then transferred to a CC, and now is back at GVSU (and was last year). So he got in previously. Haha.
    The minimum requirement to get into GV when I was in high school 15 years ago was 2.9. It was 2.5 to transfer in. That freshman number has definitely gone up since 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachinLaker View Post
    The minimum requirement to get into GV when I was in high school 15 years ago was 2.9. It was 2.5 to transfer in. That freshman number has definitely gone up since 2003.
    GVSU doesn't list a minimum freshman admission standard, just the GPA range of the middle 50% (3.3-3.8). So I'm not sure there *is* a minimum for first-year students. I suppose it is just a combination of GPA, test scores, volunteer work, etc. But at least for transfers, it is a 2.5. I'm just guessing based on the middle 50% being 3.3-3.8 for first-year students, that the minimum for freshman admission they usually take is probably around 2.5 as well. I know a couple people who were near that GPA in my high school and scored over 30 on their ACT's and got in to schools they had no business being in, GPA-wise. Who knows!

So you're saying that there are 2.5 HS GPA getting admitted as freshman? Hmm, ok. But I still stick to my guns that it's easier and a much lower bar, for a transfer to get in than a freshman. This is the case at many schools... including MSU and UofM.

So you're saying that there are 2.5 HS GPA getting admitted as freshman? Hmm, ok. But I still stick to my guns that it's easier and a much lower bar, for a transfer to get in than a freshman. This is the case at many schools... including MSU and UofM.
    There might be. I don't know. Nobody does. But if the middle 50% is 3.3-3.8, then they might be if they have good test scores. But what is an equivalent HS GPA to a 2.5 college GPA that you need to get admitted as a transfer?

Michigan actually requires a 3.0 GPA and at least 30+ transferable credits. That's why UM rarely takes in transfers most years, because not many players transferring from other schools can get in.

GVSU doesn't list a minimum freshman admission standard, just the GPA range of the middle 50% (3.3-3.8). So I'm not sure there *is* a minimum for first-year students. I suppose it is just a combination of GPA, test scores, volunteer work, etc. But at least for transfers, it is a 2.5. I'm just guessing based on the middle 50% being 3.3-3.8 for first-year students, that the minimum for freshman admission they usually take is probably around 2.5 as well. I know a couple people who were near that GPA in my high school and scored over 30 on their ACT's and got in to schools they had no business being in, GPA-wise. Who knows!
    It's true that they don't have a minimum requirement - anymore. However, when I applied in 2002, their admission requirements brochure had stated a minimum of a 2.9 was required for admission. I don't think it was too long after that the minimum requirement was dropped. At the time, I didn't have a 2.9 (2.7) and was initially turned down. But yeah, they definitely have a set minimum of 2.5 for transfers and have maintained that as far as I'm aware. I'm honestly surprised they haven't upped that number over time as GVSU has become more selective.

8-3 again :( prove me wrong please

Quote Originally Posted by 4nick8 View Post
    8-3 again :( prove me wrong please
    They will

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast