Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vulcans mbb sancomb era...

Contribute to D2

Default Re: Vulcans mbb sancomb era...

Maybe Howze transferred back to Urbana?? ORRRRR...Maybe WJU! I hear they are looking for players!! That would be TOOOOOOO FUNNY!!!

If Cal's Jacob Thibodeau decides to transfer, Cal will be in REAL trouble!!
    Last edited by boatcapt; 07-30-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Bigs are hard to find this time of the year.

What is truly odd about this development is that there was no good reason to post the roster until at least the start of the semester. Or later. And if you are going to post it, be damn sure everyone on it is all in or leave them off. Really bad start for SANCOMB.

Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    What is truly odd about this development is that there was no good reason to post the roster until at least the start of the semester. Or later. And if you are going to post it, be damn sure everyone on it is all in or leave them off. Really bad start for SANCOMB.
    As I recall, Sancomb was not an instant success at WJU. There were some pretty lean years at the start of his tenure until he got his type of players in and was able to completely install his type of system. Maybe Howze was just not his player...so therefore, expendable.

This is beginning to stink. For all intents and purposes we’ll be starting all over again. I forsee another sub 500 season once more. This is now beyond getting old! I’ll be 70 on my next bday, and am beginning to worry if I’ll ever see the Men’s program back to where it was under Jim Boone, and the early days under BB.

Hard to really sugarcoat it ... Howze is a huge loss. That's a senior-to-be coming off a 17 ppg and 7 rpg season.

My observations of him last year was he was a big talent -- but may not have been 'all in' at times. He had some games he just vanished. Other games he was a major force.

Danny was a tremendous, fluke hire. He's also not a miracle worker. Cal isn't going 25-5 this year (or dancing). His history has shown he's a 'ground up' coach and that takes time. The quick fix was Kevin Reynolds. Danny will be more long-term.

McBride wasn't a fit in the PSAC West. I don't think he was ever going to take Cal back to the glory years. The zero defense philosophy will get you killed in the West. The attendance numbers and watching some games ... the Angelo Dome wasn't exactly humming, either.

There's likely a story behind Howze's departure. No coach would run off his best player in late July.

Pegram was a big land. Let's see who else he gets in the next couple weeks. They obviously need to be enrolled by the first day of class.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 07-31-2018 at 11:25 AM.

7. Default Re: Vulcans mbb sancomb era...

Hearing that Sancomb has hired Steve Bridgeman as his full time assistant. I believe Bridgeman graduated from WJU in 2015, was ass't at Goshen for 2015-16, then was an ass't at WVA Wesleyan for a short period. https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-7-26-18/

Quote Originally Posted by Feedoggie View Post
    This is beginning to stink. For all intents and purposes we’ll be starting all over again. I forsee another sub 500 season once more. This is now beyond getting old! I’ll be 70 on my next bday, and am beginning to worry if I’ll ever see the Men’s program back to where it was under Jim Boone, and the early days under BB.
    On the positive side, DS is a great coach, whose teams play cohesively and rarely take bad shots. They also play good defense. I think the only real question is whether he keeps the parochial high school connections that provided strong players to WJU; if not, can he recruit the same level of players without this connection?
    I thought McBride was a good coach also, given his record at Concord against WLU.

9. Default Re: Vulcans mbb sancomb era...

Like it or not, many D1 and D2 programs are building teams with transfers, including schools in the PSAC. Sancomb appears willing to start from scratch with both high school recruits and even an ass't who has no experience at all in the PSAC and not much overall recruiting experience having graduated from WJU in 2015. Building from scratch requires patience. I am sure there are players on the way to increase the current Cal roster size of 5. But the timing of McBride's departure definitely presents challenges for 2018-19.

Quote Originally Posted by Columbuseer View Post
    I thought McBride was a good coach also, given his record at Concord against WLU.
    The MCBRIDE situation was unique and really could not have been foreseeable. As far as I can determine he has made a decision, at least for now, to leave coaching. For someone as young and respected as he is that choice is mind blowing. I wish he had been a bit more forthcoming is his exit remarks. Hope all is well with his family.

I don't see DS having much success in the parochial arena. Coming from that background myself I know there were very few students with that background. WBB has one CANEVIN grad on the current roster and another coming in this year. Curiously the only other VULCAN athlete that comes to mind from a parochial hs was an offensive lineman from 91-94, team captain and PSAC WEST first team and that is FB HC GARY DUNN out of SETON-LASALLE. Maybe he can give DS some numbers to call.

Quote Originally Posted by PSACwatcher View Post
    Like it or not, many D1 and D2 programs are building teams with transfers, including schools in the PSAC. Sancomb appears willing to start from scratch with both high school recruits and even an ass't who has no experience at all in the PSAC and not much overall recruiting experience having graduated from WJU in 2015. Building from scratch requires patience. I am sure there are players on the way to increase the current Cal roster size of 5. But the timing of McBride's departure definitely presents challenges for 2018-19.

You got it. The whole culture has changed. And, of course, the players have led the revolution -- transferring at record numbers.

One PSAC West coach told me personally he hates recruiting high school players. Too much drama -- mainly from the parents. He said they are already agitated that little Johnny isn't at Duke or Syracuse. So few are anywhere near ready to play at this level as true freshmen. Most need to redshirt which typically opens the next can of worms. Then ... poof ... they turn into pumpkins a week after the season ends. Wasted time and money for all involved.

CALUPA69 don't panic as I'm not shifting this to Joe but just as an example ... the vast majority of players he's had transfer out were almost all high school recruits. I'm sure there's been one but I can't recall any transfer imports who have then left to go somewhere else. Joe rarely takes a one-year transfer unless it's one they can't pass up (like this year or a Shawn Dyer).

I think many D2 coaches prefer to get the kid who was perhaps a D1 reach, got there and realized he may be best suited down a level. They tend to be much more loyal to the program. So much of it is the coach, too. Is it just a basketball team or is it really a family-oriented program culture. There's a massive, massive difference between the two. Joe has the latter. Sancomb had it at WJ. West Liberty has it. There aren't many. There's a reason the same teams get wiped out with outgoing transfers year after year.

13. Default Re: Vulcans mbb sancomb era...

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    So much of it is the coach, too. Is it just a basketball team or is it really a family-oriented program culture. There's a massive, massive difference between the two.
    Dang, BigIndian! Excellent insight.

PATIENCE. Well, as a long-time Vulcan Basketball supporter, I can tell you that we've been runnin' on EMPTY in the "patience" department for many a moon. I thought we were on the right track with Coach McBride. I expected this being his third year, we would've finally turned the corner. But it is now impossible. Our one bright spot, (Howze) has now vanished, leaving the rest of the team looking at one another with "deer-in-the-headlights" faces.
    Of course, we'll support Coach Sancomb, and watch him try to patch together a team. Starting over again with McBride was fun while it lasted. But it had begun to get exasperating...with injuries, inconsistent play, and now starting from square one again..
    Sorry to go on and on about this, but I'm sure you get my drift. Best of luck to ALL the PSAC West teams this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedoggie View Post
    PATIENCE. Well, as a long-time Vulcan Basketball supporter, I can tell you that we've been runnin' on EMPTY in the "patience" department for many a moon. I thought we were on the right track with Coach McBride. I expected this being his third year, we would've finally turned the corner. But it is now impossible. Our one bright spot, (Howze) has now vanished, leaving the rest of the team looking at one another with "deer-in-the-headlights" faces.
    Of course, we'll support Coach Sancomb, and watch him try to patch together a team. Starting over again with McBride was fun while it lasted. But it had begun to get exasperating...with injuries, inconsistent play, and now starting from square one again..
    Sorry to go on and on about this, but I'm sure you get my drift. Best of luck to ALL the PSAC West teams this year.
    I would be feeling much as you do if VULCANS BB was ONLY MBB. Though I was optimistic with the hiring of MCBRIDE, I am not going to go all in until there is consistent competitive play for several seasons. It may be too simplistic, but I want to have the same confidence in MBB that I have in WBB. There have been very few games in the last 15 years when a VULCANS WBB team took the court that I didn't feel confident that if they played to their ability a W was the likely outcome. The men's game is much tougher but schools like IUP, WLU and recently SHIP and GANNON have developed the kind of consistency that used to be the trademark of CALU MBB. I remain confident it will be again...hopefully sooner rather than later.

Tough blow for your roster this late. Hopefully you can piece something together for the season

17. Default Re: Vulcans mbb sancomb era...

Hearing that Cal is bringing in a transfer from Rutgers. 6’4” pudgy forward Matt Bullock who did not get much playing time over the past few years at Rutgers.

Hearing that Cal is bringing in a transfer from Rutgers. 6’4” pudgy forward Matt Bullock who did not get much playing time over the past few years at Rutgers.
    Hard to figure player. He was quite a star in NJ hs ball which is a pretty decent level and the first recruit when the new coach took the job. But he never really got into any games for whatever reason. Probably should have left after first year. Blowing off a year of eligibility for two minutes of PT seems foolish. HS highlights indicate he's a decent player but time will tell.

Not many 6'4" forwards playing in the Big Ten. I assume he was a walk-on there?

20. Default Re: Vulcans mbb sancomb era...

Bullock was not a walk on at Rutgers. He was Steve Pikell's first scholarship recruit when he took the Rutgers job.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast