Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Humboldt State will discontinue after 2018 season

Contribute to D2

Default Humboldt State will discontinue after 2018 season

per sources

Default Re: Humboldt State will discontinue after 2018 season

3. Default Humboldt State Football Entering Final Season

http://www.hsujacks.com/news/2018/7/...-decision.aspx

HSU just announced 2018 will be the final season for their football. They couldn't raise enough money and do not want to further spend on football at the expense of their academic programs.
    Follow my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/CWUCrimsonCommitted

Blog Entries

Default Re: Humboldt State Football Entering Final Season

Not surprised based on the vibe we've all been getting these past few seasons.

No disrespect to Humboldt fans in moving on quickly, but the focus for the remaining schools is to find a way to fill those holes in the schedule in 2019. This is difficult at best.

I can already tell you what we'll read here:
    We need to move up
    We need to move down
    Bring back the old Columbia Football Assoc
    Combine with LSC
    Combine with RMAC
    Get rid of football

CWU is clearly trying to make football a priority and in the short term we will benefit from the purge of HSU talent....... remember WWU transfers in 2009?........ but yet another blow to west coast football.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Quote Originally Posted by Goods View Post
    but yet another blow to west coast football.
    After the initial shock, I wondered what the other schools will end up doing. Who besides CWU would go FCS? Would Simon Fraser go back to the Canada West? Would other schools go D3 or NAIA?

Lots of questions to be answered.

No disrespect to Humboldt fans in moving on quickly, but the focus for the remaining schools is to find a way to fill those holes in the schedule in 2019. This is difficult at best.

We need to move up
    We need to move down
    Combine with LSC
    Combine with RMAC
    Get rid of football

CWU is clearly trying to make football a priority and in the short term we will benefit from the purge of HSU talent....... remember WWU transfers in 2009?........ but yet another blow to west coast football.
    Good to see you around Goods. I agree with this assessment and them not hiring a coach was just writing on the wall. So much for the hope of adding 3 new scholarships for this year.

All those NAIA schools that should be D2 should be fast tracked in.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    After the initial shock, I wondered what the other schools will end up doing. Who besides CWU would go FCS? Would Simon Fraser go back to the Canada West? Would other schools go D3 or NAIA?

Lots of questions to be answered.
    GNAC is safe for SFU in other sports and it does really well overall in them. The football question would still be out there as to what they'd do, especially as they are looking into D1-hockey as an option. I'm not sure CWU has the funds to go FCS, but with the stadium upgrade that may have been something they were looking into too. Would this also push CETYS to the LSC and help bolster that conference in football?

We need to move up
    We need to move down
    Combine with LSC
    Combine with RMAC
    Get rid of football

Football alliance with the LSC would be great, if the details and scheduling strategy can be worked out.

And then there were four.

11. Default Re: Humboldt State Football Entering Final Season

Extremely sad news! Wouldn't be surprised if Western Oregon is next.

12. Default Re: Humboldt State Football Entering Final Season

I feel like WOU maybe next too. Lone Star would love APU and they must consider it now for stability. That leaves SFU and CWU hoping to get into the RMAC with a max of one spot open. Today is the day GNAC football died.

13. Default Re: Humboldt State Football Entering Final Season

http://www.gnacsports.com/football/n...r-2018-season/

Hope the Commissioner addresses what we all have on our minds soon. Possible solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Grill View Post
    Extremely sad news! Wouldn't be surprised if Western Oregon is next.
    Why would WOU be next? This has never been discussed, there's a strong football alumni group, and a history of more than 100 years of playing the sport. Pure speculation on your part with no knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by CWU_Wildcats View Post
    I feel like WOU maybe next too. Lone Star would love APU and they must consider it now for stability. That leaves SFU and CWU hoping to get into the RMAC with a max of one spot open. Today is the day GNAC football died.
    LSC going to 10 teams, they're not adding Azusa over on the West Coast. The RMAC is full -- where in the hell are you getting this?

16. Default Re: Humboldt State Football Entering Final Season

Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    LSC going to 10 teams, they're not adding Azusa over on the West Coast. The RMAC is full -- where in the hell are you getting this?
    Hey Man! You need to relax Francis it's a message board and folks can express their thoughts and opinion. I've been to Western Oregon and the stands were empty, maybe because they were playing SFU.

17. Default Re: Humboldt State Football Entering Final Season

Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    Why would WOU be next? This has never been discussed, there's a strong football alumni group, and a history of more than 100 years of playing the sport. Pure speculation on your part with no knowledge.
    Humboldt State University and Western Washington University both had over a hundred years of tradition of playing football.

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Grill View Post
    Hey Man! You need to relax Francis it's a message board and folks can express their thoughts and opinion. I've been to Western Oregon and the stands were empty, maybe because they were playing SFU.
    I've been to a helluva lot more games than you, they sold out all their games once during a winless season. There is absolutely NO EVIDENCE that SFU, CWU, or APU, are in any better shape than WOU in this, other than that SFU has a legit league to go to and that's in Canada (which wouldn't be a bad option). On the main page of D2football.com, go to "TEAMS" and they have the leagues. The RMAC is full, the LSC just added UT-Permian Basin, which brings them to 10. The GNAC's best hope resides in getting a scheduling agreement with the LSC, going independent, or begging the College of Idaho, Carroll College, SOU, and EOU, into the conference.

People can express their thoughts and opinions, so can the drunk at the bar, but if they're not based in some sort of FACTS, I'm not listening. The RMAC and the LSC have no incentives to add any GNAC teams and won't do so. CWU and APU are in no great bargaining position right now, along with WOU -- SFU is in the best with the Canadian option. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by SGAstumpJ View Post
    And then there were four.
    And we're ALL in the same boat. No one has an advantage to joining a conference over another, no matter how many NFL or CFL guys are currently playing. The key is independent, a scheduling agreement with another conference, or getting NAIA teams to move up. B.S. speculation on the RMAC adding another member or two is just that: B.S.

The worst part about speculation is that - even if it's totally inaccurate - if you don't nip it at the bud a lot of people will come to believe it. That's all tsull was doing.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast