Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 Central Region players on USA Men's Roster

Default 7 Central Region players on USA Men's Roster

From The Joplin Globe:

The Missouri Southern men's basketball team will be well-represented at the USA Sports and Tours D-2 Men's Basketball Tour of Brazil this summer.

MSSU announced Tuesday that head basketball coach Jeff Boschee will lead the USA squad, which is composed of nine players from various NCAA Division II basketball teams. Three of those players will include Southern's Parker Jennings and incoming transfer Ted Brown, both juniors, as well as sophomore transfer Cam Martin.

The tour will last 10 days and feature three games against Brazilian professional teams in a three-day stretch, beginning with a game on Aug. 1 in Jundiai, a city located in the province of Sao Paulo, and concluding two days later with a final game in Rio de Janeiro. It will also make a stop in Osasco to play a contest on Aug. 2.

Throughout the tour, players will have opportunities to visit famous Brazilian landmarks such as Copacabana Beach, the world renowned Christ the Redeemer statue and Sugar Loaf Mountain.

A Southern news release stated, "While in Brazil, the team will experience educational, cultural and social aspects of Brazilian life through city, school and sports club visits."

Jennings, a guard, appeared in 20 games for the Lions last season and shot better than 42 percent from beyond the 3-point line. Martin, at the forward and center positions, shot 51 percent from the field as a freshman at Jacksonville State, while Brown, a center, averaged 8 points on 57-percent shooting at Concordia-St. Paul.

Other members of the USA team are Johnny Beeninga of Minnesota State-Moorhead, Eric Dust of Missouri-St. Louis, Zach Fisher of Truman State, Drew Guebert of Sioux Falls, Joe Smoldt of Upper Iowa and Ryan Welty of Northwest Missouri.

On the women's side, the 2018 USA D-2 basketball team named to the squad Washburn junior Reagan Phelan, who averaged 14.9 points, 2.9 assists and 2.0 steals per game to help lead the Ichabods to the quarterfinals of the MIAA tournament for the first time in four seasons.

The women's team has 10 players representing eight teams and three conferences. Phelan will be one of five players from the MIAA.

The USA men's and women's teams will meet for orientation in Orlando, Florida, on July 30 before departing for Sao Paulo.

Default Re: 7 Central Region players on USA Men's Roster

While we are happy to see Brianna Kusler on the womens side, it is very confusing how Ian Smith was selected for this squad...

And Teddy Brown was selected?! Bahaha

The women's team is coached by UCM's Dave Slifer, who also has three players going.

Quote Originally Posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    And Teddy Brown was selected?! Bahaha
    Ted Brown could be a dominant player and I wish WSU had been successful in recruiting him but I haven't seen anything that makes him deserve this.

The team whose coach is going is always heavily represented on these. It may also depend on the kid and their family's financial situation, since they have to pay their own way or at least raise the funds to go. I'm glad to see the 3 MSSU players on the team to give them more time to work together and to give Boschee more time to learn their games and coach them up.

7. Default Re: 7 Central Region players on USA Men's Roster

If you thought this was some sort of Central Region all-star team, you've misunderstood.

Now we are aware they are playing, and representing the USA. Let's root for them to perform well, and adds a little basketball interest for us while we look forward to November.

Quote Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
    Ted Brown could be a dominant player and I wish WSU had been successful in recruiting him but I haven't seen anything that makes him deserve this.
    That's my point I mean, perhaps he could be Carter Evans-like where there is high hopes for four years but you only get maybe a little over one year of that potential. I have my doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    That's my point I mean, perhaps he could be Carter Evans-like where there is high hopes for four years but you only get maybe a little over one year of that potential. I have my doubts.
    We will be very glad if we get a little over a year of Carter Evans like performance out of him. We don't care what he has done in the past. We are hoping for lots of dominant performances out of him in the future.

What has he shown you that has led you to believe he could be a dominant player? This is someone who averaged 8ppg-5rpg in 18mpg last year, granted some of that falls at the feet of Joey James' incompetence but not the majority of it. Hes a 47% FT shooter who doesnt block shots, doesnt run the court well, and turns it over quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Augieholic View Post
    What has he shown you that has led you to believe he could be a dominant player? This is someone who averaged 8ppg-5rpg in 18mpg last year, granted some of that falls at the feet of Joey James' incompetence but not the majority of it. Hes a 47% FT shooter who doesnt block shots, doesnt run the court well, and turns it over quite a bit.
    Well with all that there has to be some upside. Although my sample size is pretty small, at times when I have watched it looked to me like there was some latent skill there. Gave me the impression though of being one of those guys that wasn't overly motivated. Could have something to do with the program I suppose.

Well with all that there has to be some upside. Although my sample size is pretty small, at times when I have watched it looked to me like there was some latent skill there. Gave me the impression though of being one of those guys that wasn't overly motivated. Could have something to do with the program I suppose.
    I watched as Concordia lost early last year to a very mediocre Presentation College last year. Mr. Brown was basically invisible and had like two points and a few boards.

13. Default Re: 7 Central Region players on USA Men's Roster

You all can decide for yourself after you see him perform again in person, assuming you are willing to make the drive down to Joplin in March for the regional.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post
    You all can decide for yourself after you see him perform again in person, assuming you are willing to make the drive down to Joplin in March for the regional.
    Haha

15. Default Re: 7 Central Region players on USA Men's Roster

Quote Originally Posted by mosofan1 View Post
    We will be very glad if we get a little over a year of Carter Evans like performance out of him. We don't care what he has done in the past. We are hoping for lots of dominant performances out of him in the future.
    When the team goes 58-12 his last two years I think they got their money's worth out of Evans, and you can argue how effectively he was used. My guess is that the NSU fans may realize his true worth and game impact only after his departure. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by benchwarmer75 View Post
    When the team goes 58-12 his last two years I think they got their money's worth out of Evans, and you can argue how effectively he was used. My guess is that the NSU fans may realize his true worth and game impact only after his departure. Time will tell.
    I think everyone fully appreciates what he did last year and the sacrifice he made to be a full out team player. His Sabonis style post passes had me all nostalgic! It was more so the injuries and how long it took him to get it going. Not totally his fault, I felt he was one of the best recruits we have ever had come in during my time as a fan and I try not to get too hyped on recruits. I'm not bashing him at all, just wanted to be clear.

17. Default Re: 7 Central Region players on USA Men's Roster

2-0 so far. 70-52 win yesterday and 85-72 today. Central Region looking strong against these Brazilians!

Missouri Southern twin towers dominating the boards (and another set of tall twins are still back in Joplin). Oh my!

18. Default Re: 7 Central Region players on USA Men's Roster

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post
    2-0 so far. 70-52 win yesterday and 85-72 today. Central Region looking strong against these Brazilians!

Missouri Southern twin towers dominating the boards (and another set of tall twins are still back in Joplin). Oh my!
    Definitely looking forward to the upcoming season. Lots of returning talent, plus the added size. Should be a special season.

19. Default Re: 7 Central Region players on USA Men's Roster

What is the website to follow the results, etc. for this tour?

20. Default Re: 7 Central Region players on USA Men's Roster

Another W for USA as they claim an 83-75 victory. One short sequence had Southern's Martin and Brown swatting away back to back Brazilian shots from in the lane. Team is having a great trip!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast