Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NSIC Stadium Rankings

Contribute to D2

Default NSIC Stadium Rankings

Saw that the MIAA Thread was doing this so I thought I would start one for the NSIC.

My criteria for the rankings is... 1. How modern the facility is. 2. The amenities. 3. The view and what surrounds the stadium. 4. The fan atmosphere.

1. Augustana
    2. Southwest Minnesota St
    3. Minnesota Duluth
    4. Bemidji St.
    5. Upper Iowa
    6. Sioux Falls
    7. Winona St.
    8. Mary
    9. Minot St.
    10. St. Cloud St.
    11. Wayne St.
    12. Northern St.
    13. Minnesota St.
    14. Minnesota St.- Moorhead
    15. Concordia St. Paul
    16. Crookston

Default Re: NSIC Stadium Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
    Saw that the MIAA Thread was doing this so I thought I would start one for the NSIC.

My criteria for the rankings is... 1. How modern the facility is. 2. The amenities. 3. The view and what surrounds the stadium. 4. The fan atmosphere.

1. Augustana
    2. Southwest Minnesota St
    3. Minnesota Duluth
    4. Bemidji St.
    5. Upper Iowa
    6. Sioux Falls
    7. Winona St.
    8. Mary
    9. Minot St.
    10. St. Cloud St.
    11. Wayne St.
    12. Northern St.
    13. Minnesota St.
    14. Minnesota St.- Moorhead
    15. Concordia St. Paul
    16. Crookston
    Not sure I can accurately rank them as I've been to about half and only viewed others on video. From what I've seen, I'm glad you ranked BSU in the top 4 because I think "The Chet" is a cool, small-school stadium that has improved. And with the view of the lake, it's pretty under-appreciated.

I haven't been to Augie's stadium, so can't say it's not better than SMSU, but that's best of those I've seen in-person.

I think the biggest change I'd make on this list is moving up Minot. Based on what pictures I've seen with their stadium upgrades, they probably deserve to be up in the Top 5.

I'd probably drop BSU because I believe Lake Bemidji is the main thing it has going for it. Otherwise, it's a pretty average stadium I think.

Haven't been to a lot of the stadiums in the NSIC, but have been to CSP and it's pretty nice in my opinion. Just not much atmosphere.
    I would place MN. State just ahead of Crookston, as the only thing it has going for it, imo, is you're close to the action. Otherwise, the place is antiquated with a terrible pressbox.

Ouch

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Quote Originally Posted by MStateMaverick View Post
    Haven't been to a lot of the stadiums in the NSIC, but have been to CSP and it's pretty nice in my opinion. Just not much atmosphere.
    I would place MN. State just ahead of Crookston, as the only thing it has going for it, imo, is you're close to the action. Otherwise, the place is antiquated with a terrible pressbox.
    Visitor's side at CSP is awful. UMC's visitor's side is even worse. At both places I try to go sit on the home side. Much better view and it isn't crowded, you have plenty of room.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    Visitor's side at CSP is awful. UMC's visitor's side is even worse. At both places I try to go sit on the home side. Much better view and it isn't crowded, you have plenty of room.
    SW had visitor bleachers planned, among other things, but none of it happened. Wonder who was in charge of that fiasco?

Quote Originally Posted by Clean Liver View Post
    SW had visitor bleachers planned, among other things, but none of it happened. Wonder who was in charge of that fiasco?
    If Southwest's visitor's side was halfway decent it would be #1. I like the overhang for when it is rainy or cold.

If Southwest's visitor's side was halfway decent it would be #1. I like the overhang for when it is rainy or cold.
    I agree, the overhang is nice. The visitor's side is, on occasion, some modular aluminum bleachers. "Hi. If you look across the field you'll see our stadium."

Only have not been to Bemidji, Moorhead, and Crookston. Ranking more as a fan than player...

SMSU
    Augie
    UIU
    USF
    WSU
    Kato
    UMD
    BSU
    Minot State
    Mary
    St. Cloud
    Wayne State
    Northern State
    Moorhead
    CSP
    Crookston

I actually like the visitor's berm at SMSU instead of bleachers. I like the green grass and natural bowl feel. Similarly, I like Augie's endzone berm. I give the nod to top stadium to SMSU though due to the open concourse and the suites having an outside seating area. USF's suites are all enclosed as well; I wish the Bob had the patios on the north and south sides of the press box/suites as it was designed to. Top 4/5 sounds about right for us. Open concourse, easily accessible tailgates.

UMD was nothing special to me, unless you move it up for one big reason. Endzone beer garden.

UIU I feel is super underrated. Beautiful at night when the sun sets. Intentionally built small, well built and cool architecture

The WSU cracker box makes for a great atmosphere and after the remodel looks the part.

Kato. Admittedly, I'm partial to the ol Blake. Endzone berm, fans right on top of you, great sight-lines, place can get loud, and that glorious natural grass. All this makes up for the press box, porta potties, etc.

Bemidji has the lake. Cool. I couldn't decide between beer or the lake, went with the beer.

Minot. Haven't been back since they finished the rest of the stadium but was making progess. But why not Minot.

Mary. Multipurpose. The Howard Wood Field of Bismarck. Kinda cool nestled into the hill but very meh.

St. Cloud. You can see the river. But not as cool as a lake. Also the one-side thing feels weird.

Wayne. I know they're remodeling but again a fairly benign stadium. I mean the grandstand is old and has some history?

Northern. See Mary, minus the cool hill. Easy to tailgate and still watch the game though; I greatly enjoyed this feature. Will dramatically move up the list when their new one opens.

Moorhead. Haven't been. Doesn't sound like I'm missing much.

CSP. Yawn. The visitors bleachers are terrifying and frequently had more USF fans than CSP fans in the stadium. Also the home bleachers being so tall and narrow is weirdly off-putting.

Crookston. Yeaaaaa.
    Last edited by Otis Day; 07-17-2018 at 03:38 PM.

If you go to Bemidji- try for an early season night game, or Homecoming.

Jumping in the lake after a Homecoming win is a classic that I'm glad I got to see in person.

UIU night games are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Clean Liver View Post
    Yes, it would've been awesome to get to Phase 2 of the project. I've seen pictures of what Phase 2 of the R/A Facility was supposed to look like too, but that never happened either. Almost makes me wonder it was intentionally drawn up that way in order to secure the necessary funding. Maybe one day the second phase would happen, but not likely...

I also go back to the fact that we don't have the rich alumni base that many of these other schools have. SMSU isn't very old, just celebrating its 50th year last year. Except for U-Mary (1959), all other NSIC schools opened about 100 years ago or more (BSU opened in 1919, the third most recent opening). Compare SMSU athletic facilities and program standing to where all of these programs were when they hit the 50-year mark.

Is it at its full potential? No, but it's still a damn fine stadium!

Very happy to see schools updating or building new stadiums. NSU will be great when finished. Swisher is the Howard Wood of the North, windy and a big ass track. From pictures of Minot's stadium it is underrated. Old MSU Blake puts you right on the action. I'm a big fan boy of Kirkeby-Over stadium.No track, sunk 6' in the ground and great handicapped viewing. UMD voice of the Bulldogs calls it a broadcasters dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Yes, it would've been awesome to get to Phase 2 of the project. I've seen pictures of what Phase 2 of the R/A Facility was supposed to look like too, but that never happened either. Almost makes me wonder it was intentionally drawn up that way in order to secure the necessary funding. Maybe one day the second phase would happen, but not likely...

I also go back to the fact that we don't have the rich alumni base that many of these other schools have. SMSU isn't very old, just celebrating its 50th year last year. Except for U-Mary (1959), all other NSIC schools opened about 100 years ago or more (BSU opened in 1919, the third most recent opening). Compare SMSU athletic facilities and program standing to where all of these programs were when they hit the 50-year mark.

Is it at its full potential? No, but it's still a damn fine stadium!
    From what I understand, the entire area beneath the stadium is vacant. Was supposed to be locker rooms etc. so players from both teams wouldn't have to walk two blocks to the field, but somehow the budget got...

Quote Originally Posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    UMD voice of the Bulldogs calls it a broadcasters dream.
    Weak point for press box at Southwest is that they broadcast from down on the goal line.

Quote Originally Posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    Ouch
    Northern St. will move up quite a bit once new stadium is finished. The tailgating and fan atmosphere is great! But in terms for the stadium itself, meh....

Auggie has the best stadium in the conference because of the massive grandstand and pressbox helps. The endzone berm is a nice feature! The stadium is ready for D1 if Auggie decides if they'll go that route or not. Only thing they need is LIGHTS and turf needs to be replaced.

SMSU has the most impressive grandstand of the schools but not as well rounded as Augustana's. No locker rooms, scoreboard operating room is in the endzone and essentially there is no visitors side.

UMD has the impressive view of lake Superior and has the modern game day experience. The size of the stadium is appropriate for the size of the school. The big eyesores are the visitors side and the visiting coaching booth is REALLY crammed for such a modern stadium.

BSU also has the breath taking view of the lake. While the stadium is old, the game day experience is authentic and more simple which is refreshing.

Upper Iowa's pressbox is the most current in terms of flash and has a massive scoreboard. Visitors side is definitely one of the nicer ones in the NSIC. The stadium is smaller but fits to how small Upper Iowa as a university.

Winona St as a opposing team you feel like your playing in a dog cage with the student section right in your face in the endzone. The view of the bluffs is nice! The pressbox, while modern, looks like it was put up in a hurry and didn't take the time to build it to stand out from the rest.

Mary plays in a very well rounded stadium that has modern amenities and great viewing! However Mary is ranked lower because the idea they share the facility with other teams doesn't sit well for me and the fan atmosphere isn't there.

Minot St. They've made some nice upgrades to the stadium and has a nice open concourse! The view of the city is nice either for day/night games. They're aren't higher only because the tailgating and atmosphere is really lacking.

St. Cloud St. is very spacious that has a nice view of the river. But no visitors side is weird and the stadium looks like one large slob of concrete from a distance.

Wayne St. will move up a little as they're getting a new pressbox but its nice they are keeping the historical grandstand instead of demolishing it. Other then that it doesn't have much to offer.

Northern st (see above)

Minnesota St. I could have them ranked higher but I despise old Blakeslee so much I could also rank it lower, but didn't because the tailgating and fan atmosphere is rock solid! The only thing I will say positive about the Blake is that theres no bad seat in the house and your right by the action! Grass field is a bonus! However that pressbox is so bad that it looks abandoned and that the high school I went to has a better pressbox. It just amazes me for how good we are and all of the support we get we can't muster the funds for a new stadium. I'm shocked it hasn't affected recruiting.

The only thing going for moorhead is that they have a nice turf field but nothing else. But the turf field has a big billboard on both sides so that doesn't do it for me.

CSP is nothing more then a High School stadium. The seats are high and very far and the huge track makes it a lot worse. The visitors side seating is very sketchy.

Crookston - uhhhhhhh they have a grass field??? I guess?

18. Default Re: NSIC Stadium Rankings

I'm very new to the NSIC (my son is entering his second year at USF) and I would have a hard time arguing with your statement. The visitor stands were rough, but the home stands were awesome. A great atmosphere for last year's game.

I forgot about USF, silly me! From just looking at it the grandstand is impressive because it has double deck seating and is nice and open. But if you look closer in the pressbox it is incomplete (my guess is they ran out of funds to finish?). The pressbox is filled with cubicles for coaching booths and there're two doors that if you open, will lead you to your death.

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
    I forgot about USF, silly me! From just looking at it the grandstand is impressive because it has double deck seating and is nice and open. But if you look closer in the pressbox it is incomplete (my guess is they ran out of funds to finish?). The pressbox is filled with cubicles for coaching booths and there're two doors that if you open, will lead you to your death.
    Bingo.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast