Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSAC Student-Athlete Scholars

Default PSAC Student-Athlete Scholars

42% of PSAC student-athletes made the grade of at least a 3.25 GPA for this honor. That's something to be proud of. I would say the programs are doing something right.

It's interesting to note the # of awardees for the private institutions. Evidence of grade inflation?

Link below.

http://www.psacsports.org/news/2018/...ith-3-053.aspx

Default Re: PSAC Student-Athlete Scholars

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    42% of PSAC student-athletes made the grade of at least a 3.25 GPA for this honor. That's something to be proud of. I would say the programs are doing something right.

It's interesting to note the # of awardees for the private institutions. Evidence of grade inflation?

Link below.

They also sponsor more sports.

No, I think they put more emphasis on the student's education and besides they recruit more intelligent kids in general.
    Say like at IUP who tries to win a championship with goon players but gets beat by a 2nd yr W Fla team.
    Too bad

I'm sure that's the case. Just enjoy your yearly beating.

5. Default Re: PSAC Student-Athlete Scholars

b]42% of PSAC student-athletes made the grade of at least a 3.25 GPA for this honor. That's something to be proud of. I would say the programs are doing something right.[/b]

Link below.

My years of experience following IUP/PSAC sports would tell me that the women athletes are probably really bringing up that overall average. The vast majority of them do really well in the classroom it seems. Much better than their male counterparts in most instances.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
    No, I think they put more emphasis on the student's education and besides they recruit more intelligent kids in general.
    Say like at IUP who tries to win a championship with goon players but gets beat by a 2nd yr W Fla team.
    Too bad
    Here's to an 0-11 season for St Thugnacious.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    My years of experience following IUP/PSAC sports would tell me that the women athletes are probably really bringing up that overall average. The vast majority of them do really well in the classroom it seems. Much better than their male counterparts in most instances.

-
    I saw something on Facebook comes across that IUP had a record number of student athlete scholars this past year.

The demand put on student athletes is huge. The PSAC SAs don't even travel that far as other conferences and divisions do, and I'm still amazed at what these young men and women do. Yes, some run into some difficulty, but even maintaining a 2.5 is quite a challenge with some of the majors these players take on and still meet the team requirements on commitments.
    Personally, I'm very proud of my son and how he juggles all this.

Link below.

iupgroundhog always have to put a spin to make IUP look good or seem better than what they are, I believe you just hate private schools. They earned the grades, nothing is just given.

Quote Originally Posted by VulCanDoIt View Post
    The demand put on student athletes is huge. The PSAC SAs don't even travel that far as other conferences and divisions do, and I'm still amazed at what these young men and women do. Yes, some run into some difficulty, but even maintaining a 2.5 is quite a challenge with some of the majors these players take on and still meet the team requirements on commitments.
    This is very true, anyone who can handle the demands of both class, and college athletics deserves credit. Most athletes also avoid some of the destructive choices students sometimes make.

Also, heard this morning that IUPs Natalie Cignetti is PSAC scholar -Athlete of the year. She's also a really nice person.

Quote Originally Posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
    Too bad
    I can tell you that's a false assumption. Kids going to the private schools are more likely to be white (they're all Catholic) and middle class. Hurst and Seton Hill have fairly lame and tame campus cultures too. The pseudo-fake sticker price is there to scare off the students who are the most cost-conscious. Private schools use athletics and international recruiting services to boost minority enrollment. A kid or family from Farrell or Erie or New Kensington see that sticker price and move on. This leaves the private schools with applicants who are more likely to be academically prepared and more likely to be able to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony33 View Post
    iupgroundhog always have to put a spin to make IUP look good or seem better than what they are, I believe you just hate private schools. They earned the grades, nothing is just given.
    It's because IUP is better than everyone else.

We just are. You need to just accept it and move on.

Grade inflation at private colleges is well-documented. See link below. That is the one that jumped out at me but I could put 1,000 reports and studies up here that show the same thing. Ironically, I didn't mention IUP in my post at all. I have a bias against private schools. I support public schools. No spin required.

https://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ivate-college/

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I can tell you that's a false assumption. Kids going to the private schools are more likely to be white (they're all Catholic) and middle class. Hurst and Seton Hill have fairly lame and tame campus cultures too. The pseudo-fake sticker price is there to scare off the students who are the most cost-conscious. Private schools use athletics and international recruiting services to boost minority enrollment. A kid or family from Farrell or Erie or New Kensington see that sticker price and move on. This leaves the private schools with applicants who are more likely to be academically prepared and more likely to be able to pay.
    If the football team at St. Thugs is mainly Catholics ... I may switch religions.

16. Default Re: PSAC Student-Athlete Scholars

Probably one big advantage that college student-athletes have over their non-athletic cohorts is that they learn outstanding time management skills fairly early on.

It has always been my experience that if you ask a busy person to do something then it will get done. They don't tend to put things off "til later" or "tomorrow" like most of us seem to do.

-

Probably one big advantage that college student-athletes have over their non-athletic cohorts is that they learn outstanding time management skills fairly early on. It has always been my experience that if you ask a busy person to do something then it will get done. They don't tend to put things off "til later" or "tomorrow" like most of us seem to do.
    -
    A body (or mind) in motion tends to stay in motion and a body (or mind) at rest tends to stay at rest.

Probably one big advantage that college student-athletes have over their non-athletic cohorts is that they learn outstanding time management skills fairly early on.

It has always been my experience that if you ask a busy person to do something then it will get done. They don't tend to put things off "til later" or "tomorrow" like most of us seem to do.

-
    And more academic supervision and support.

For the record I always supported the additions of Gannon and Mercyhurst into the PSAC. They both had a long history of competition with PSAC schools and I believe those schools are integrated into the local community and region in a positive way.. I objected to the addition of Seton Hill. I didn't think that school shared the same values and purpose of the other member schools. I didn't like the way they used athletics (exclusively) to legitimize their brand and the fact that their minority enrollment is almost entirely from the football and basketball teams. I don't think that's the way things are supposed to be run.

Some of you know but the schedule they keep is insane. There's no time to hang with Suzy Sorority and the other drunken bafoons on campus.

Between study halls, team meals, meetings, practices, training, etc. .... only so many hours in a day. They also can't just blow off a class without getting reamed out.

I know the NCAA has bylaws about hours per week .... sounds good but is all crap.

Athletes also get a lot of perks -- even at this level. Let's not feel too bad for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast