Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: SMSU Mustangs 2018

Default Re: SMSU Mustangs 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Clean Liver View Post
    If there's food, fun 'n friends, people will come out. It was, imo, a good time for all. H***, we traveled 800 miles!

Never thought the guy in charge had his s**t together, anyway. I suggested a burger contest with locals and he nixed that idea. "Bring your grill, bring your best recipe and all the fixins and see what happens." If I were nearby I'd jump at the chance. AG Bowl is so-so. Homecomin' is just that...renew old acquaintances and get hammered. Ya need to do somethin' that draws the local people.
    you are correct that a local event is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    I wasn't referencing the board - we're probably one of the more represented on the board. I do see your point about other levels of football. D3 counts too - lots of MIAC fans, if I am correct.
    gotcha.

i think SMSU loses fans 4 places -- all about equal

1. St John's - plenty of Johnnies in the area
    2. Gophers - many have tickets and go there instead
    3. NDSU - big following there because kids go there and Marshall kids go there
    4. SDSU - see NDSU

I bet we lose 100 fans a game to people who are from Marshall but go to Brookings or Fargo instead for a Saturday game when there is a Mustang home game. Not much you can do about it either except win more.

3. Default Re: SMSU Mustangs 2018

Quote Originally Posted by MrMustang View Post
    gotcha.

i think SMSU loses fans 4 places -- all about equal

1. St John's - plenty of Johnnies in the area
    2. Gophers - many have tickets and go there instead
    3. NDSU - big following there because kids go there and Marshall kids go there
    4. SDSU - see NDSU

I bet we lose 100 fans a game to people who are from Marshall but go to Brookings or Fargo instead for a Saturday game when there is a Mustang home game. Not much you can do about it either except win more.
    Very true. I think we just get lost in the mix, not much that can be done about it I suppose.

We also had a few Augustana familes, and a couple of Bethel folks. SMSU was the closest by a longshot - I knew who John Gagliardi was in elementary school, but I couldn't have told you if SSU/SMSU had a football team or not.

Quote Originally Posted by 212 Degrees View Post
    Just to be certain, I would never complain about the fans or city of Marshall but on key recruiting gameday visits (Ag Bowl & Homecoming), that stadium HAS TO be packed in order to get them to commit over more successful programs. And the last 2 years, it wasn't. We have one of the best stadiums in the conference and we should have it packed more than the area high school games, on those 2 days.
    Numbers don't really reflect what you're saying.....

2018 AgBowl: 2,877
    2018 Homecoming: 2,932
    2018 others: 1,458

2017 AgBowl: 3,340
    2017 Homecoming: 3,878
    2017 others: 1,674

How many area high school games are averaging 3,000 attendance?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMustang View Post
    The KC BBQ people who run it wanted it moved. It had to be in August to be a qualifier for the National competition in KC and for the Jack in Tennessee. Too bad because it was great in September. But to count for the season standing etc it had to be in August
    I wondered if that had to do with it....

I think they've done well to package Smokefest with Marshall's Sounds of Summer.

6. Default Re: SMSU Mustangs 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Numbers don't really reflect what you're saying.....

2018 AgBowl: 2,877
    2018 Homecoming: 2,932
    2018 others: 1,458

2017 AgBowl: 3,340
    2017 Homecoming: 3,878
    2017 others: 1,674

How many area high school games are averaging 3,000 attendance?
    It looked half full to me both times. I stand corrected.

The stadium seems to start out partially populated, but by the end of the first quarter, good size crowds at both. Peeps showing up "stylishly late"
    Last edited by DAWGS; 11-09-2018 at 03:25 PM.

8. Default Re: SMSU Mustangs 2018

Couple of notes:

-Blake went out with a bang - he went 43-70(!), both of which are single game school records.

-Daniel Davis becomes the 8th player in Mustang history with 1,000 yards in a season.

predictions

1st team :

Blake
    Dan Davis
    Ratkovich

2nd team:

Ney
    Hollowell

HM

Acker - had a very good year in the middle

Beyond that unsure

I heard there were changes coming to the defensive staff? Anyone heard anything?

Quote Originally Posted by mav5 View Post
    I heard there were changes coming to the defensive staff? Anyone heard anything?
    Awfully short romance.

Southwest Minnesota State (D-II): Per source, defensive coordinator Todd Strop has been let go.

Quote Originally Posted by mav5 View Post
    nope

Awfully short romance.

Southwest Minnesota State (D-II): Per source, defensive coordinator Todd Strop has been let go.
    what????
    why?

obvioulsy it wasn't results driven. we were actually competent

it is hard to be a Mustang football fan. That is all. It is always a climb uphill.

15. Default Re: SMSU Mustangs 2018

I'm confused. I thought the defense looked 10 times better and actually fought in every contest. Unless the intent is to switch to the 4-3, this puzzles me.

I'm sure with Gimbel back and a new DC expectations were high. 4-3 or 3-4 shouldn't matter, the guy was given only one year. MrMustang is correct. It's hard to be a fan with the constant turnover. Imagine what it's like to be a player?

Is Sauter difficult to work with/for?? CONSTANT turnover.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

I'm sure with Gimbel back and a new DC expectations were high. 4-3 or 3-4 shouldn't matter, the guy was given only one year. MrMustang is correct. It's hard to be a fan with the constant turnover. Imagine what it's like to be a player?
    Only one year? That doesn't seem like much of a chance to me!

Hand the keys to Bullerman, please!

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    Is Sauter difficult to work with/for?? CONSTANT turnover.
    I think it speaks more to the University itself and the top. Athletics not adequately funded and makes it hard on the coaches. What our coaches do is amazing with the budget.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast