Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SMSU Mustangs 2018

Contribute to D2

Default Re: SMSU Mustangs 2018

Crazy "stat" from Connor Wilkie in pregame show. There are only four players still on the roster from the 2014 signing class (redshirt seniors), five if you include the TE coach. 47 players signed that year.

2. Default Re: SMSU Mustangs 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Crazy "stat" from Connor Wilkie in pregame show. There are only four players still on the roster from the 2014 signing class (redshirt seniors), five if you include the TE coach. 47 players signed that year.
    The attrition rate for the SMSU program is a huge problem, in my opinion. Look at the number of players from the last two recruiting classes (2017 and this past February), who have quit. That says a lot about how their (players) viewpoint on their development and happiness within the program.

It'll be interesting to see what the new president thinks of athletics as a whole and the job coaches like Sauter are doing. Though with a 6-year contract, he's probably not going anywhere soon.

It'll be interesting to see what the new president thinks of athletics as a whole and the job coaches like Sauter are doing. Though with a 6-year contract, he's probably not going anywhere soon.
    C'mon Stanger, You know as well as I do coachin' contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on. Maybe bein' part of the MN System is different, but I doubt it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Clean Liver View Post
    C'mon Stanger, You know as well as I do coachin' contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on. Maybe bein' part of the MN System is different, but I doubt it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I think it's different at lower levels. This isn't the Big Ten. We don't have money lying around to buy out coaches. If we did that, it would probably only leave us with less money to offer the new coach.

6. Default Re: SMSU Mustangs 2018

After the entire turnover of the coaching staff, combined with the fact that half of the current staff are recent graduates with limited experience, I wonder how much longer he wants to be here. Although I don't believe winning 2 games this year will get him many options better than what he has now. It just seems to be something more going on within this program.

7. Default Re: SMSU Mustangs 2018

Quote Originally Posted by 212 Degrees View Post
    After the entire turnover of the coaching staff, combined with the fact that half of the current staff are recent graduates with limited experience, I wonder how much longer he wants to be here. Although I don't believe winning 2 games this year will get him many options better than what he has now. It just seems to be something more going on within this program.
    I think you're looking to deep into it. Sauter isn't going anywhere. SMSU doesn't have the money to buy a coach out of his contract unless Nick Saben wanted the gig. We've had a rough start, yes, but the dropped pass and some bad calls flip the other way and we have a shot to win the thing. The one thing that needs to be fixed asap is the Offensive Line. Blake got sacked 8 times and we had 5 yards rushing. He didn't have a clean pocket all game. I'm not discrediting Wayne's front 7, but we can't allow that from any team, especially with a tough road schedule on the horizon. We finally get some great play out of our defense and we can't put up points.

This is an amazing stat which I will delve into when I have time. Truly mind boggling.

Crappy recruiting that must be addressed. If I was the President of SMSU, Cory would be in my office to discuss this. Not saying it is his fault (don't have enough info), but it is a problem.

I am sure there are many things that have gone into this, but I am going to go back and look and see what has happened and comment on it. Amazing to say the least.

The attrition rate for the SMSU program is a huge problem, in my opinion. Look at the number of players from the last two recruiting classes (2017 and this past February), who have quit. That says a lot about how their (players) viewpoint on their development and happiness within the program.
    It is a huge problem but I am going to partially defend the coaches on ONE part of this.

SMSU has an enrollment problem and they admissions folks haven't done a good enough job in fixing this. Thus, for example, football is expected to recruit not just for a team, but to fill enrollment, even if they are borderline kids (both in talent and academics) they are signed to add numbers.

This is part of the huge loss referenced by Stanger above.

I would have to look into the number more, but probably a lot of those kids quit football but stay in school thus at least helping with enrollment.

But, I wonder if we wouldn't be better off signing 20 really good players, having a roster of 90 and not all the excess that aren't going to make it. Worth a debate.

I just know that Sauter is expected to boost enrollment as well as coach - not the best circumstances

one football field issues.

That offensive line is just plain awful. Worst I have seen in 29 years of following SMSU football -- and it isn't even close.

If I go through and look at all the lines since 1990, there might be 1 or 2 in the Strasheim Era close to as bad, but this bunch is awful,.

"We finally get some great play out of our defense and we can't put up points."

My goodness: First Downs: Wayne 26, SMSU 8, Total yds : Wayne 417, SMSU 142. Wayne turned the ball over 4 times, SMSU should of gotten beat by 30 - but maybe turning them over is what you mean by "great defense." Without the turnovers, Wayne probably would of had 500 yds, so lets look at the bright side, I'll give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by sabre View Post
    "We finally get some great play out of our defense and we can't put up points."

My goodness: First Downs: Wayne 26, SMSU 8, Total yds : Wayne 417, SMSU 142. Wayne turned the ball over 4 times, SMSU should of gotten beat by 30 - but maybe turning them over is what you mean by "great defense." Without the turnovers, Wayne probably would of had 500 yds, so lets look at the bright side, I'll give it a shot.
    Say what you want, but holding the opponent to only 23 points doesn't happen very often around here, especially in games where the offense doesn't show up.

13. Default Re: SMSU Mustangs 2018

Quote Originally Posted by MustangAlum View Post
    I think you're looking to deep into it. Sauter isn't going anywhere. SMSU doesn't have the money to buy a coach out of his contract unless Nick Saben wanted the gig. We've had a rough start, yes, but the dropped pass and some bad calls flip the other way and we have a shot to win the thing. The one thing that needs to be fixed asap is the Offensive Line. Blake got sacked 8 times and we had 5 yards rushing. He didn't have a clean pocket all game. I'm not discrediting Wayne's front 7, but we can't allow that from any team, especially with a tough road schedule on the horizon. We finally get some great play out of our defense and we can't put up points.

Maybe you're right. We'll see as the season goes on. Kind of discouraging to see the line play better against Mankato than Wayne State. Maybe.....just maybe, the offense had a tough day because Coach Frana (now the OC at Wayne) knows the offense inside and out, and assisted the defensive staff at Wayne for this week's game. It's a stretch but I'm looking for reasons and game breakers.

14. Default Re: SMSU Mustangs 2018

Quote Originally Posted by MrMustang View Post
    It is a huge problem but I am going to partially defend the coaches on ONE part of this.

SMSU has an enrollment problem and they admissions folks haven't done a good enough job in fixing this. Thus, for example, football is expected to recruit not just for a team, but to fill enrollment, even if they are borderline kids (both in talent and academics) they are signed to add numbers.

This is part of the huge loss referenced by Stanger above.

I would have to look into the number more, but probably a lot of those kids quit football but stay in school thus at least helping with enrollment.

But, I wonder if we wouldn't be better off signing 20 really good players, having a roster of 90 and not all the excess that aren't going to make it. Worth a debate.

I just know that Sauter is expected to boost enrollment as well as coach - not the best circumstances

Good point. I would be interested in researching as to whether the departed recruits stayed and finished school, dropped out or ended up in another program. I mean SMSU is still a NCAA Division 2 school, with decent facilities, in a good conference and a low cost. I think playing and succeeding there is a pretty good sales pitch even for a "borderline" student-athlete.

15. Default Re: SMSU Mustangs 2018

one football field issues.

That offensive line is just plain awful. Worst I have seen in 29 years of following SMSU football -- and it isn't even close.

If I go through and look at all the lines since 1990, there might be 1 or 2 in the Strasheim Era close to as bad, but this bunch is awful,.

FYI - The line returns 3 starters and another player who started one game. Experience is there.

Maybe you're right. We'll see as the season goes on. Kind of discouraging to see the line play better against Mankato than Wayne State. Maybe.....just maybe, the offense had a tough day because Coach Frana (now the OC at Wayne) knows the offense inside and out, and assisted the defensive staff at Wayne for this week's game. It's a stretch but I'm looking for reasons and game breakers.
    212 - I agree. I think Frana had significant input into the game plan and his knowledge of SMSU's talent (he recruited and coached the o-line) and SMSUs tendencies certainly provided him with an advantage that certainly helped Wayne out. If you were at the game you saw that they were holding whiteboards up in front of the signal callers to shield Frana (who was in the press box during the game) from seeing them. Having said that, the line struggled, Sauter admitted that and they need to learn and get better. I still believe this team has talent, Certainly enough to beat Wayne last weekend (dropped TD and failure to capitalize on the turnovers). They need to learn to win. Two weeks in a row they have not taken advantage of opportunities they have had to change the momentum of the game.

17. Default Re: SMSU Mustangs 2018

Quote Originally Posted by DAWGS View Post
    212 - I agree. I think Frana had significant input into the game plan and his knowledge of SMSU's talent (he recruited and coached the o-line) and SMSUs tendencies certainly provided him with an advantage that certainly helped Wayne out. If you were at the game you saw that they were holding whiteboards up in front of the signal callers to shield Frana (who was in the press box during the game) from seeing them. Having said that, the line struggled, Sauter admitted that and they need to learn and get better. I still believe this team has talent, Certainly enough to beat Wayne last weekend (dropped TD and failure to capitalize on the turnovers). They need to learn to win. Two weeks in a row they have not taken advantage of opportunities they have had to change the momentum of the game.
    Yeah, I'm hoping that (Frana) was the reason. The dropped touchdown was painful and hard to come back from. We'll see ho we do this week against a better team. Hopefully SMSU is slowly getting better too because an upset could save this season.

Yeah, I'm hoping that (Frana) was the reason. The dropped touchdown was painful and hard to come back from. We'll see ho we do this week against a better team. Hopefully SMSU is slowly getting better too because an upset could save this season.
    You got that right!

19. Default Re: SMSU Mustangs 2018

This is an amazing stat which I will delve into when I have time. Truly mind boggling.

Crappy recruiting that must be addressed. If I was the President of SMSU, Cory would be in my office to discuss this. Not saying it is his fault (don't have enough info), but it is a problem.

I am sure there are many things that have gone into this, but I am going to go back and look and see what has happened and comment on it. Amazing to say the least.
    Some things to think about:

First, is this only happening here to this degree or everywhere? What's the average amount of 5th year seniors on a given DII roster? Because remember, guys like Hilgert, Huot, etc. gave up redshirts and other players who graduated in 4 years may have decided to call it a career, not quit the team. I was at the senior night game for the Gophers last year and that's a BIG 10 school that only had like 8-10 guys. (I know the coaching transitions and what not might skew that number) But my point is this, in every program at every level you won't be able to carry your entire class through until the end because guys start seeing the writing on the wall when they're 3rd on the depth chart as a junior behind sophomores, can't balance school/football, transfer somewhere closer to home and hang it up-- it happens. I think my freshman year at SMSU we had half of our incoming class not on the team by spring ball. College football is tough as hell man and not everyone is cut out for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangAlum View Post
    Some things to think about:

First, is this only happening here to this degree or everywhere? What's the average amount of 5th year seniors on a given DII roster? Because remember, guys like Hilgert, Huot, etc. gave up redshirts and other players who graduated in 4 years may have decided to call it a career, not quit the team. I was at the senior night game for the Gophers last year and that's a BIG 10 school that only had like 8-10 guys. (I know the coaching transitions and what not might skew that number) But my point is this, in every program at every level you won't be able to carry your entire class through until the end because guys start seeing the writing on the wall when they're 3rd on the depth chart as a junior behind sophomores, can't balance school/football, transfer somewhere closer to home and hang it up-- it happens. I think my freshman year at SMSU we had half of our incoming class not on the team by spring ball. College football is tough as hell man and not everyone is cut out for it.
    Part of it is also the recruiting class size. 47 kids is a TON!! That's twice as many as MSU brings in every year. No chance you can bring in 40-50 kids each year and keep even half, unless you're running with 150 players.

Likely there are many in that 47 who had no shot at playing D2 ball but took the chance for a few months. And schools that aren't in a position to be choosy with players will take them all and hope they pan out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast