Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 64

Thread: Stadium Rankings.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain.
    Posts
    416
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    18783

    Default Stadium Rankings.

    Okay as my annual tradition I will ask what are your favorite MIAA stadiums ranked 1-12? Keep in mind, I don't mean product on the field, or necessarily stadium atmosphere (although I that has a lot to do with it too), I am talking facilities.

    Also, are there any new upgrades that you all find exciting? New turf, end zone complexes, seating arrangements etc.?
    Go Bronchos!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    19,343
    Rep Power
    640208

    Default Re: Stadium Rankings.

    There are so many I haven't seen in person, and so many changes that I have no idea how to rank them, other than Pitt in first and southern in last place.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    1,465
    Rep Power
    10722

    Default Re: Stadium Rankings.

    1. PSU - Even with all the renovations to other MIAA stadiums in the conference, I think this one is still my favorite. Large press box, double-decker visitors side, large video board, good capacity. Looks like a miniature D-1 stadium.

    2. MWSU - Probably the biggest modern press box in the MIAA, largest video board in the conference is a sight to behold, no track, new end zone party pavilion should be a cool addition, good capacity. All around impressive stadium. Maybe someday the visitors side stands could be upgraded again but they are nice enough for the foreseeable future.

    3. UCM - Great press box, good video board, new visitors side stands, large capacity, new residence hall near one endzone is a nice touch with a Spin Pizza to boot. I think the home side could use chair back seating instead of rail backs. Very attractive stadium.

    4. UCO - Great press box, good video board, nice stands, large capacity, and no track. All around attractive facility.

    5. Northwest - Great press box, large video board, nice visitors stands. Capacity could be increased perhaps if attendance warrants.

    6. WU - Nice press box, video board, and all around attractive stadium. Not sure what could be done to move this stadium further up the list except maybe a renovation to the visitors side.

    7. FHSU - New video board and new chairback seats are solid additions to a nice stadium in Hays, KS. Good pressbox, but could be expanded.

    8. ESU - Press box is nice but could be expanded to push it further up the list. Video board puts this one above LWU for me by a hair.

    9. LWU - Good press box, nice stands, nice end zone facility, no track, and good capacity but lack of a video board pushes this one down the list a bit for me. Still a very attractive stadium.

    10. UNK - New video board needed. Pressbox is only one level on the side facing the field. Capacity according to Lopers.com is a little small at 5,250. No track is a positive.

    11. NSU - Antiquated pressbox is the main thing holding this stadium back imo. No track is a positive.

    12. MSSU - New endzone facility is a very nice addition but the rest of the stadium needs a major overhaul which is planned to happen once the funds become available.
    Last edited by GRIFFan_Kyle@MoWest; 07-04-2018 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Town name correction

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    1,465
    Rep Power
    10722

    Default Re: Stadium Rankings.

    TBH, I feel that ranking the top half of the stadiums in the MIAA is a tough task which speaks well of the quality of facilities in the conference. A lot comes down to personal preference. We are very blessed in the MIAA.

  5. #5

    Default

    I’ll make sure to post pics of FHSU’s video board once the limestone/brick wrap is complete. Should be done in time for season.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6

    Default Re: Stadium Rankings.

    Quote Originally Posted by GRIFFan_Kyle@MoWest View Post
    TBH, I feel that ranking the top half of the stadiums in the MIAA is a tough task which speaks well of the quality of facilities in the conference. A lot comes down to personal preference. We are very blessed in the MIAA.
    I think the top ten stadiums in the MIAA could be ten of the top 30-40 stadiums in the country. I would switch UNK and LWU. The press box at Hunter Stadium is not really that nice (IMO) and I don't think they have suites. UNK has better parking for tailgating and the press box/suites are really nice and spacious.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    8,727
    Rep Power
    236137

    Default Re: Stadium Rankings.

    Gotta rank NW 1st just for all the accolades listed on the home side ;-)
    Seriously I’ve been to every one(even prior members SBU, LU & MO St).
    MSSU is last by a long shot as a visitor there are things I like about all the others.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    321
    Rep Power
    35414

    Default Re: Stadium Rankings.

    I'm not really ranking here, and I haven't been to them all so I wouldn't be able too. Also, I'm not a part of press or a big boy club so have no idea how good the boxes stack up...so my comments are

    FHSU moves up with the addition of the parking lot for tailgating last year (used to be just a dirt/dust hole) and the addition of the jumbotron this year. The stadium itself is okay, aesthetically the limestone is nice; and, I like the leniency to allow fans to walk around the track.

    NW Mo - stadium is probably the best (of the ones I've been too) - I like the outside railing where you can stand and the trees and seating, especially if you're touting kids along is a great place to let them run around. There are no-reentry rules sometimes I don't get and I have no idea where to park and usually end up 10 blocks away among the houses which I don't like. I do like being able to walk through their campus though.

    I'm personally not a fan of the bowl design, I would rank ESU ahead of Washburn here. This being a beauty contest, I rank ESU ahead in keeping their grass greener on the outside, Washburn grass areas always seem dormant by the time football season hits. I also like ESU field better with the alternating dark and light greens and the hexagons in the endzone.

    Pitt ranks high in all aspects, i'm not sure I could find a fault....except

    While Kearney doesn't seem to me to have any overly unique quirks or imposing feature, one thing I like versus most others and in particular the Kansas schools; Kearney doesn't have a track around their field. I like the more modern look of a football field without the track.

    Haven't been to UCM in years, what I recall it's right up there with Pitt and NW Mo.

    UCO - similar to the features of Kearney, overall it's fine, I personally wouldn't rank it too high among the MIAA schools though.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Stadium Rankings.

    Quote Originally Posted by GRIFFan_Kyle@MoWest View Post
    1. PSU - Even with all the renovations to other MIAA stadiums in the conference, I think this one is still my favorite. Large press box, double-decker visitors side, large video board, good capacity. Looks like a miniature D-1 stadium.

    2. MWSU - Probably the biggest modern press box in the MIAA, largest video board in the conference is a sight to behold, no track, new end zone party pavilion should be a cool addition, good capacity. All around impressive stadium. Maybe someday the visitors side stands could be upgraded again but they are nice enough for the foreseeable future.

    3. UCM - Great press box, good video board, new visitors side stands, large capacity, new residence hall near one endzone is a nice touch with a Spin Pizza to boot. I think the home side could use chair back seating instead of rail backs. Very attractive stadium.

    4. UCO - Great press box, good video board, nice stands, large capacity, and no track. All around attractive facility.

    5. Northwest - Great press box, large video board, nice visitors stands. Capacity could be increased perhaps if attendance warrants.

    6. WU - Nice press box, video board, and all around attractive stadium. Not sure what could be done to move this stadium further up the list except maybe a renovation to the visitors side.

    7. FHSU - New video board and new chairback seats are solid additions to a nice stadium in Hays, KS. Good pressbox, but could be expanded.

    8. ESU - Press box is nice but could be expanded to push it further up the list. Video board puts this one above LWU for me by a hair.

    9. LWU - Good press box, nice stands, nice end zone facility, no track, and good capacity but lack of a video board pushes this one down the list a bit for me. Still a very attractive stadium.

    10. UNK - New video board needed. Pressbox is only one level on the side facing the field. Capacity according to Lopers.com is a little small at 5,250. No track is a positive.

    11. NSU - Antiquated pressbox is the main thing holding this stadium back imo. No track is a positive.

    12. MSSU - New endzone facility is a very nice addition but the rest of the stadium needs a major overhaul which is planned to happen once the funds become available.
    I have no problem with the rankings but Western's press box, while infinitely better than the old one, is really not that great. It would probably be somewhere in the middle just in terms of its size and functionality.

  10. Default Re: Stadium Rankings.

    Of the stadium I've been to:

    Pitt State: I'm biased, but it's the best. Could definitely need a freshened up a bit. Seems like most of the red seats are really faded now. The graphics covering the back of the Jungletron are incredibly faded and aging. The press box looks nice from the outside, but the actual working space is a joke. One of the smallest in the league. Even with the track the seats still seem like they're really close to the field.

    UCM: This was a good stadium before the renovations, now it's great. I really enjoyed my experience there last season (outside of the Pitt loss).

    Hays: Nice enough. Haven't been in a few years. It's in the middle of nowhere, but I kind of enjoy the vastness of the prairie.

    Washburn: It's fine. Pretty much up-to-date. Press box is great, even if a weird part of me misses the single-wide trailers from way back in the day.

    Northeastern State: You're right on top of the action with great sight lines. It's pretty outdated otherwise.

    Missouri Western: can't really have too much of an opinion because I haven't been since the renovations.

    Missouri Southern: woof. The Lions have a great basketball arena and a fantastic baseball stadium, but they also have the worse football facility in the conference, even with that out-of-place building in the end zone.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    1,465
    Rep Power
    10722

    Default Re: Stadium Rankings.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I have no problem with the rankings but Western's press box, while infinitely better than the old one, is really not that great. It would probably be somewhere in the middle just in terms of its size and functionality.
    I think you're out of your mind. I already know you have a personal axe to grind with our press box.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Stadium Rankings.

    Quote Originally Posted by GRIFFan_Kyle@MoWest View Post
    I think you're out of your mind. I already know you have a personal axe to grind with our press box.
    HA HA HA. We should go to a game together and I'll show you.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    1,465
    Rep Power
    10722

    Default Re: Stadium Rankings.

    I'm not really talking about the press area as much as I am the indoor club, the president's club and the 12 suites. Most don't have all of that. Don't really care as much if press folks don't have riser seating in the press box tbh.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    1,465
    Rep Power
    10722

    Default Re: Stadium Rankings.

    I would love that. xD I'm sure the press area isn't exactly what you would want but I feel like the rest of it is pretty nice. I've been in the indoor club and I was impressed. Have to think the suites and President's club are nice too

  15. #15

    Default Re: Stadium Rankings.

    Quote Originally Posted by GRIFFan_Kyle@MoWest View Post
    I would love that. xD I'm sure the press area isn't exactly what you would want but I feel like the rest of it is pretty nice. I've been in the indoor club and I was impressed. Have to think the suites and President's club are nice too
    Yes they are nice. If you have been in that structure, imagine dividing it by the elevator into field side and parking lot side. What is parking lot side is nice and something the other's don't have on that level (Northwest has the same thing underneath but they use it more for media conferences rather than social gatherings). The suites and and president's club are very common situations in the other good boxes so there are no criticisms from me there, only compliments. In fact, one thing I do like about the suites is the indoor/outdoor aspect.

    So again, my criticism is about the media level where, once again, no one listened to the SID and built it as they would best use it.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Stadium Rankings.

    And one more thing. I've been going to games there forever. From where they were to where they are is incredible and I always enjoy going. The Western group is always so welcoming which reflects very nicely on them, especially considering where I went to school.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    1,465
    Rep Power
    10722

    Default Re: Stadium Rankings.

    Can't disagree with any of that Brandon. I'm glad that the MWSU folks have made you feel welcome as that's how I think it should be as well. 'Axe to grind' was probably a bit over the top as a phrase to describe your legitimate criticism of the press area as they should take into consideration the functionality of that space for press purposes. I guess when I say 'press box' I use that very loosely to refer to the entire homeside structure above the stands which I'm sure is a bit of a misnomer. TBH, I don't begrudge anyone for attending or being a fan of NW as I consider them to be a sort of model D2 institution much like UCM or Pitt State and others. I prefer to think of it as a fun (albeit there is some bad blood for some I'm sure) and emotional geographic rivalry almost as if between brothers, one a little older than the other if you catch my drift. Looking forward to the return of football and an interesting week one rivalry matchup that hopefully won't turn out to be a complete green on gold beatdown. Hard to beat a week one game in the 'Ville.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    1,465
    Rep Power
    10722

    Default Re: Stadium Rankings.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hornetfan View Post
    I think the top ten stadiums in the MIAA could be ten of the top 30-40 stadiums in the country. I would switch UNK and LWU. The press box at Hunter Stadium is not really that nice (IMO) and I don't think they have suites. UNK has better parking for tailgating and the press box/suites are really nice and spacious.
    Very good point about the difference between UNK and LWU facilities in terms of suites vs lack of suites. Honestly, I haven't been to either of these stadiums yet so some of my opinion would have to be taken with a dash of salt. You could definitely make a pursuasive argument to switch some of these rankings as I have not seen some of these facilities in person or don't know the details about some of them.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Peters, Missouri
    Posts
    4,472
    Rep Power
    182850

    Default Re: Stadium Rankings.

    Lindenwood is getting new turf this year with colored in endzones which will add to the appeal of HCH.

    There are also plans for a jumbotron in the near future.
    Cool Story Bro

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    321
    Rep Power
    35414

    Default Re: Stadium Rankings.

    Just curious which stadiums have high schools played at them if anybody knows - Hays has two high schools use theirs and Emporia does as well. I don't know about Maryville but they have an awesome mascot - the Spoofhounds

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •