Thread: Anything to this rumor?

Contribute to D2

Default Anything to this rumor?

D & E coming back to the MEC for all sports except football, UNC-Pembroke coming in for football only. Frostburg will be joining the MEC. If this would happen it would take some of the sting out of losing Shepherd and Wise

Default Re: Anything to this rumor?

Only place I've heard the D&E rumor is on this message board and one post on a consulting companies Twitter site. UNC-P was a hot rumor, at least on this message board, about four years ago. That would be a long drive BUUUUUTTTTT...adding them and Frostburg would lock down the 11 game schedule so in effect, they would become the OOC game for each team. I think for it to make sense, there would need to be some other additions which would allow the conference to split into NW/SE divisions.

I saw this post on the GMAC thread. D&E just brought back their WVIAC era train caboose. Coincidental timing? I’m guessing yes (purely coincidental), but the two recent posts did get me thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    Saw this on the D&E site. They said many of the WVIAC schools used to have cabooses at their athletics complexes. They just recently brought theirs back. AB guys, did/do you have one?

Pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsnut View Post
    D & E coming back to the MEC for all sports except football, UNC-Pembroke coming in for football only. Frostburg will be joining the MEC. If this would happen it would take some of the sting out of losing Shepherd and Wise
    Unless UNC-P is dissatisfied with the fact that Limestone went from being a 'scheduling alliance partner' to an 'associate member' of the SAC while Pembroke hasn't (at least, as far as I know), I would be stunned if they considered an offer to become an associate member in the MEC, considering the long drive from that part of North Carolina. If UNC-P was considering becoming an affiliate of a conference besides the SAC, then it would've been the CIAA, considering most of those schools are in North Carolina, though with Chowan remaining in the CIAA as a football affiliate, that door appears to have been closed. I'm not to sure what to make of the Davis & Elkins rumors, though. Unless they're seriously considering bringing Alderson Broaddus back into the fold, which I seriously doubt given the animosity between the two sides, I don't see how D&E is even a good fit for the MEC at this stage.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Stea1th View Post
    I saw this post on the GMAC thread. D&E just brought back their WVIAC era train caboose. Coincidental timing? I’m guessing yes (purely coincidental), but the two recent posts did get me thinking.
    Hahahaha!! The D&E +1 to the MEC for NDC and Urbana is a thought you've had many, MANY times in the past...most recently about a week ago!!!

Still waiting for your thoughts on why such a "trade" would be a good thing for the MEC. Beyond some small travel savings, I cant see any reason why the MEC would want D&E.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    Unless UNC-P is dissatisfied with the fact that Limestone went from being a 'scheduling alliance partner' to an 'associate member' of the SAC while Pembroke hasn't (at least, as far as I know), I would be stunned if they considered an offer to become an associate member in the MEC, considering the long drive from that part of North Carolina. If UNC-P was considering becoming an affiliate of a conference besides the SAC, then it would've been the CIAA, considering most of those schools are in North Carolina, though with Chowan remaining in the CIAA as a football affiliate, that door appears to have been closed. I'm not to sure what to make of the Davis & Elkins rumors, though. Unless they're seriously considering bringing Alderson Broaddus back into the fold, which I seriously doubt given the animosity between the two sides, I don't see how D&E is even a good fit for the MEC at this stage.
    While UNCP would be a great fit for the MEC from an on field standpoint, I think the distance is just too great. The ONLY whay it makes sense is if there are other schools in the mix that would allow the conf to split into divisions.

Nothing beyond idle speculation here but if the MEC were to add a Southern Virginia, AB and Ashland plus one other football school to go along with Frostburg and UNCP, then you get to a point were you can split the conf into two divisions and distance becomes much less of an issue. Yea, alot of speculation there but thats the only way UNCP makes sense to me.

Of course, conference moves sometimes dont make a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    Hahahaha!! The D&E +1 to the MEC for NDC and Urbana is a thought you've had many, MANY times in the past...most recently about a week ago!!!

Still waiting for your thoughts on why such a "trade" would be a good thing for the MEC. Beyond some small travel savings, I cant see any reason why the MEC would want D&E.
    A decrease in travel time/expenses and the restoration of more natural rivalries are really the only advantages for the MEC. I guess it’s also possible that the MEC might gain some sport sponsorships if such an exchange occurred (mens lacrosse come to mind).

In my mind, it’s really more about choosing organization over forced chaos. If you know that you have a member or two that want out, and there are schools that want in, you at least have to consider an organized transition. The alternative could end up being multiple uncoordinated traditional exit notices, fees, delayed exits and delayed entries.

I’m not saying this is the way it will go down, but I have to think that it’s at least been considered.

NDC has admittedly made some knee-jerk decisions regarding conference affiliation in the past several years. From what I’ve read on here, I think it’s arguable that the MEC and AB may have also made some “in the moment” decisions. You can probably add Urbana and UVA-Wise to that camp too. It’s time for some long-term well thought out decisions that give both conferences and their members a chance at long term stability.
    Last edited by Stea1th; 07-04-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Oh, and happy Fourth!

A decrease in travel time/expenses and the restoration of more natural rivalries are really the only advantages for the MEC. I guess it’s also possible that the MEC might gain some sport sponsorships if such an exchange occurred (mens lacrosse come to mind).

In my mind, it’s really more about choosing organization over forced chaos. If you know that you have a member or two that want out, and there are schools that want in, you at least have to consider an organized transition. The alternative could end up being multiple uncoordinated traditional exit notices, fees, delayed exits and delayed entries.

I’m not saying this is the way it will go down, but I have to think that it’s at least been considered.

NDC has admittedly made some knee-jerk decisions regarding conference affiliation in the past several years. From what I’ve read on here, I think it’s arguable that the MEC and AB may have also made some “in the moment” decisions. You can probably add Urbana and UVA-Wise to that camp too. It’s time for some long-term well thought out decisions that give both conferences and their members a chance at long term stability.
    For rivaleies to truely be rivalries, the two schools in them need to be roughly equivilent. In the WVIAC days, the schools that D&E had rivalries with were Ohio Valley, Salem, Bluefield and to a much lesser extent AB. Except for Bluefield, these schools ended up in the GMAC so it eould seem that from a traditional rivals standpoint, they are in the right conference.

Travel distance is also a bit disceving. Sure, there are schools in the MEC that would benefit from a shorter game v D&E than NDC, but not all. I note that WLU and WJ are further from D&E than they are from NDC.

Concerning schools being were they eant to be, i havent heard of any drum beat from NDC or Urbana leadership about their wanting to leave. If you believe posters here who said they heard from reliable sources that the GMAC had approached NDC and Urbana and offered them spots, NDC and Urbana not taking the offers seems to undicate they are happy with the MEC.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 07-04-2018 at 12:49 PM.

I note that WLU and WJ are further from D&E than they are from NDC.
    Yes, you guys are our shortest trip in the MEC. Most are much longer. There are 7 schools with equal to shorter (some much much shorter, like down the street shorter) trips in the GMAC.

Concerning schools being were they eant to be, i havent heard of any drum beat from NDC or Urbana leadership about their wanting to leave.
    You won’t. Schools generally don’t do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsnut View Post
    Interesting. Other than the previously mentioned sports consultant’s tweet, I haven’t heard anything about D&E. There has been lots of speculation that AB might get the call for the “12th spot” (presuming that Frostburg is #11). It would be a kick in AB’s nuts if D&E goes to the MEC with out them.

Agreed. ADs will deny a planned move until the press conference announcing the move. It’s just the way it is.

So we're left to believe a message board poster that has been posting for going on three years now that NDC is "unhappy" in the MEC and looking to move to the GMAC.

So we're left to believe a message board poster that has been posting for going on three years now that NDC is "unhappy" in the MEC and looking to move to the GMAC.
    Captain, you can believe whatever you want.