Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UIU Peacocks 2018

Default UIU Peacocks 2018

Just starting a thread, old one seems to have gone away.
    On the plus side, Curran is back to run the offense. Minus side, looking for another strength coach. Heard he was doing a great job but was too salty for some. Another minus is the high percentage of young men departing after freshman year. Awful hard to move forward.
    They should compete, but a middle of the road season appears to be on the horizon.

2. Default Re: UIU Peacocks 2018

The strength coach loss was significant. He was doing a good job, players liked him. Some need to grow thicker skin but coaches should know better, someone is always listening. Summer hasn't been as productive as it could be. Tipping point ahead as AD wants to move up as a program.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Default Re: UIU Peacocks 2018

Any info on UIU scholarship numbers towards the 36 now allowed?

Laker - not sure, but do think they will start moving towards more in a responsible fashion. New AD has been a plus and is working on many fronts to help improve all the programs. The scholarship one is tricky as you have to make sure the budgets are there to support. At a small school like UIU it's a little bit more work then some of the larger state schools where there are more revenue streams, but with that being said my speculation is there will be some movement, but only after they make sure it's sustainable from a budget perspective.

My thoughts on season ahead - our D should be tough, have been impressed on the improvement the last couple of years and we should have experience at most of the positions. Offense will have experience at skill positions, but the o-line will be the focus as it was pretty thin by end of year. Recruiting class looks solid on paper - but freshman are freshman and there are usually only a handful that contribute their first year. Looking at schedule I can absolutely see an above .500 record this year.

Quote Originally Posted by cidpeacock View Post
    The strength coach loss was significant. He was doing a good job, players liked him. Some need to grow thicker skin but coaches should know better, someone is always listening. Summer hasn't been as productive as it could be. Tipping point ahead as AD wants to move up as a program.
    Like move up the NSIC standings? Or 'move up' move up, as in D1?

Standings....

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Day View Post
    Like move up the NSIC standings? Or 'move up' move up, as in D1?
    I just got through reading a post on another site where the guy insists that UIU should go D1.

Now he is talking about a D2 school named Campbellsville State in North Carolina who used to be really good in football in the 90s.

And no, he isn't talking about Campbellsville in Kentucky, or the Campbell Camels. Those two I know about. I think that he is smoking something.

Who was the strength coach that left?

9. Default Re: UIU Peacocks 2018

Does the continued absence of an oline coach lead to the unsettled line?

10. Default Re: UIU Peacocks 2018

Strength coach was Zach Anderson. As far as scholarships go, as of the 2017 recruiting class, they were at 28. As far as a move to D1........how? On campus enrollment of right around 1,000 and a high percentage of each freshmen class leaving after freshman year. By my count 14 out of around 35 from the 2017 recruiting class are gone.
    Happy 4th to you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
    Standings....

12. Default Re: UIU Peacocks 2018

It sure does not help. Guess we will find out. Very young line this year. Really surprised they do not have one.

13. Default Re: UIU Peacocks 2018

If you are referring to the absence of an oline coach it's huge. I have watched the line miss on a crucial 4th and 1 early in a game, come to the sideline and have zero interaction with a coach. No GA to help recognize the look they saw, no correction, etc. the opponent used the same look, same blitz later in a key time and guess what, it worked again. Part of what is needed to move up in the standings.

14. Default Re: UIU Peacocks 2018

100% correct. Also the RPO is a little predictable. Case in point, back to back pick sixes when a simple pump fake/ hitch n'go would have been huge.

15. Default Re: UIU Peacocks 2018

Pushing the ball downfield more often would help. Their routes get jumped pretty hard.

16. Default Re: UIU Peacocks 2018

New strength coach is David Consiglio, former assistant at Western Kentucky.

17. Default Re: UIU Peacocks 2018

Looks like UIU will be in the market for a linebacker coach. Again. Coach Alberswerth will be leaving for D1 Memphis.

18. Default Re: UIU Peacocks 2018

New coach hired. Dante Bartee - former DC for the Perry Pumas , very sucessful high school program in Arizona. Best guess is he will be coaching linebackers.

19. Default Re: UIU Peacocks 2018

After two games, a few things really stand out. 1) If they cannot do something to establish some form of a ground game, it will be a long season. 2) Going back to point 1, Lammers is taking way too many hits this early in the season. 3) Starting o-line consists of three freshmen, one soph, and one junior. Inexperience shows. Again going back to point 1, they have to do something to build confidence. Make a concerted effort to run the ball. Drive blocking is easier than pass blocking. Three yards and a cloud of dust. 4) Blitz pickup is horrible. Effort is there but a 185 lb kid is not going to stop a 225 lb backer with a head of steam. Looking at the roster, there are several backup linebackers who were effective running backs at the high school level. Maybe consider cross training a few of these 210/220 pounders to help with the blitz pickup and grinding out a few yards. Parmely has been missed.

Pretty disappointed in the start of the season. Young Offensive line that hasn’t quite figured things out yet. I think they’ll improve as the season rolls on but with two losses and Winona, Mankato and SF still left on the schedule leaves no room for any other losses to get a winning record.
    Side note, I’m not sure what is going on at Upper Iowa. A couple years ago they froze hiring and benefits because they were cash strapped due to the previous president overspending on building yet now they are adding sports like crazy. I may be biased but if you want your main sports to thrive maybe you should invest in them first before adding new sports. Football is only at like 23 scholarships. You are already handicapped because of the location, don’t handicap their scholarships. And adding Esports? Really? Get it together UIU!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast