Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: Wheeling Jesuit hires new basketball coach

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, MD
    Posts
    2,327
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    1742

    Default Wheeling Jesuit hires new basketball coach


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, MD
    Posts
    2,327
    Rep Power
    1742

    Default Re: Wheeling Jesuit hires new basketball coach

    More from Wheeling Jesuit:

    https://wjucardinals.com/news/2018/6...ead-coach.aspx

    Say what you want, but it seems like a really good find.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,504
    Rep Power
    31611

    Default Re: Wheeling Jesuit hires new basketball coach

    Quote Originally Posted by JDonAB92 View Post
    More from Wheeling Jesuit:

    https://wjucardinals.com/news/2018/6...ead-coach.aspx

    Say what you want, but it seems like a really good find.
    What I'd say is it seems like a reasonable choice given the very tough circumstances. A bit young but moving up quickly. As per previous discussion PFW uses the PREP SCHOOL/ TRANSFER route a lot in making up their team. Last year's roster featured 3 HS, 6PS and 5 TRFRS. He definitely will be tested as a coach but almost more as a recruiter. Can't say how the administration will take to the hired gun school of recruiting.
    May be just me but two things stuck out in the press release. Talking about the recent success of WJU MBB with no mention of the coach was odd. I think it would have been smoother to talk about the future only. And the multiple endorsements felt like you just signed a COACH K equivalent rather than a young, reasonably successful fill-in. A bit of overkill.
    It will be interesting to see how CARDINALS MBB is able to adapt.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Wheeling Jesuit hires new basketball coach

    It will be even more interesting if Danny's legion of followers stick with the team. The way WJ has gone silent on Danny ... I'm sure has really thrilled his supporters.

    I don't put too much stock in teams taking transfers. That's the norm now.

    A D2 coach told me personally he doesn't even look at high school players anymore. Too many diva types and the parents all think their kid is Steph Curry.

    As for the young man they just hired ... tough spot, for sure.

    He's replacing a tremendously popular coach. His only two returning studs allegedly are already gone. It's not going to happen overnight.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    13,375
    Rep Power
    357006

    Default Re: Wheeling Jesuit hires new basketball coach

    Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    What I'd say is it seems like a reasonable choice given the very tough circumstances. A bit young but moving up quickly. As per previous discussion PFW uses the PREP SCHOOL/ TRANSFER route a lot in making up their team. Last year's roster featured 3 HS, 6PS and 5 TRFRS. He definitely will be tested as a coach but almost more as a recruiter. Can't say how the administration will take to the hired gun school of recruiting.
    May be just me but two things stuck out in the press release. Talking about the recent success of WJU MBB with no mention of the coach was odd. I think it would have been smoother to talk about the future only. And the multiple endorsements felt like you just signed a COACH K equivalent rather than a young, reasonably successful fill-in. A bit of overkill.
    It will be interesting to see how CARDINALS MBB is able to adapt.
    Oh I don't know that the endorsements are any more over the top than to having two high profile former WJ players and a "coach" in the front row at your new coaches press conference...all dressed in shinny new Cal gear!

    I would have been shocked if WJ said anything about Sancomb in the press release for their new coach. I mean, they fired him for what they feel are NCAA violations. And what are they going to say? We think Danny was great, he is the only reason we were good last year and really wish he was still here but he's not so we got this new guy.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Wheeling Jesuit hires new basketball coach

    They should serve chicken and pasta at his intro dinner. I think they have an account set up to cover the bill.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    13,375
    Rep Power
    357006

    Default Re: Wheeling Jesuit hires new basketball coach

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    It will be even more interesting if Danny's legion of followers stick with the team. The way WJ has gone silent on Danny ... I'm sure has really thrilled his supporters.

    I don't put too much stock in teams taking transfers. That's the norm now.

    A D2 coach told me personally he doesn't even look at high school players anymore. Too many diva types and the parents all think their kid is Steph Curry.

    As for the young man they just hired ... tough spot, for sure.

    He's replacing a tremendously popular coach. His only two returning studs allegedly are already gone. It's not going to happen overnight.
    As my grandma used to say, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. WJ fired Sancomb for what they feel was violations of NCAA rules. These violations, if true, reflect poorly on WJ and possibly open them up to further penalties beyond their firing of Sancomb.

    I think this is about the only thing WJ can do. Turn the page and move on. They are never going to be able to convince the Sancomb supporters that he did anything wrong so there is no point trying. Every day the school picks at the scab is a day longer until the fans come back.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,504
    Rep Power
    31611

    Default Re: Wheeling Jesuit hires new basketball coach

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    It will be even more interesting if Danny's legion of followers stick with the team. The way WJ has gone silent on Danny ... I'm sure has really thrilled his supporters.

    I don't put too much stock in teams taking transfers. That's the norm now.

    A D2 coach told me personally he doesn't even look at high school players anymore. Too many diva types and the parents all think their kid is Steph Curry.

    As for the young man they just hired ... tough spot, for sure.

    He's replacing a tremendously popular coach. His only two returning studs allegedly are already gone. It's not going to happen overnight.
    I only mentioned the currently popular methods of recruiting because looking back at the previous rosters there are almost no transfers or prep schools listed. A great many religious schools and academies seem to predominate since until about 2 months ago this was a hallmark of SANCOMB coached teams which the PR staff in Wheeling were only too pleased to crow about. Public schools like PFW and most of the PSAC schools certainly don't operate to that standard. The change may or may not happen but I think both COACH PECKINPAUGH and the WJU administration may be in for some degree of culture shock.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Wheeling Jesuit hires new basketball coach

    If anything it should help attendance up on the hill top.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    13,375
    Rep Power
    357006

    Default Re: Wheeling Jesuit hires new basketball coach

    Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    I only mentioned the currently popular methods of recruiting because looking back at the previous rosters there are almost no transfers or prep schools listed. A great many religious schools and academies seem to predominate since until about 2 months ago this was a hallmark of SANCOMB coached teams which the PR staff in Wheeling were only too pleased to crow about. Public schools like PFW and most of the PSAC schools certainly don't operate to that standard. The change may or may not happen but I think both COACH PECKINPAUGH and the WJU administration may be in for some degree of culture shock.
    The question I have is is Sancomb willing to change and bring in a ton of transfers THIS year? Even if he is, will he know how to "plug into" this process? As you said, it runs counter to the WJU culture which is the same culture Sancomb has lived for over 10 years as the head basketball coach and Athletic Director.

    At his core, Sancomb wants to bring in HS players and mold them into what he want's them to be over the next 4-5 years. Transfers are a completely different animal. 99% of the time they come fully formed and their new coach has little opportunity to mold them. Coach has to be willing to take them warts and all and figure out how best to use each one differently. Not every coach can do that.

    I think both places are effectively being forced into bring in a bunch of transfers this coming year. Question is who is the most capable of doing this and will it be a long term shift in culture that lasts years or will it be a one or two year aberration before each (The school "culture" at WJ...The HC's "personal DNA" at Cal) goes back to their old ways.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    19,518
    Rep Power
    70284

    Default Re: Wheeling Jesuit hires new basketball coach

    Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    As my grandma used to say, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. WJ fired Sancomb for what they feel was violations of NCAA rules. These violations, if true, reflect poorly on WJ and possibly open them up to further penalties beyond their firing of Sancomb.

    I think this is about the only thing WJ can do. Turn the page and move on. They are never going to be able to convince the Sancomb supporters that he did anything wrong so there is no point trying. Every day the school picks at the scab is a day longer until the fans come back.
    Is this confirmed? I was told a story - totally unsubstantiated - that wasn't an NCAA violation. Sure we know there are NCAA violations but are they related? Sometimes the process for one thing uncovers other things. I'm just trying to figure out a scenario where both stories are true because I can't imagine Cal would hire him so quickly if NCAA violations were the reason for his firing.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    13,375
    Rep Power
    357006

    Default Re: Wheeling Jesuit hires new basketball coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Is this confirmed? I was told a story - totally unsubstantiated - that wasn't an NCAA violation. Sure we know there are NCAA violations but are they related? Sometimes the process for one thing uncovers other things. I'm just trying to figure out a scenario where both stories are true because I can't imagine Cal would hire him so quickly if NCAA violations were the reason for his firing.
    Not confirmed, just going off of statements (from WJ and Sancomb's lawyer), reporting and time frame. Could be that the alleged NCAA violations and Sancomb's firing are not related but that seems unlikely.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,504
    Rep Power
    31611

    Default Re: Wheeling Jesuit hires new basketball coach

    Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    The question I have is is Sancomb willing to change and bring in a ton of transfers THIS year? Even if he is, will he know how to "plug into" this process? As you said, it runs counter to the WJU culture which is the same culture Sancomb has lived for over 10 years as the head basketball coach and Athletic Director.

    At his core, Sancomb wants to bring in HS players and mold them into what he want's them to be over the next 4-5 years. Transfers are a completely different animal. 99% of the time they come fully formed and their new coach has little opportunity to mold them. Coach has to be willing to take them warts and all and figure out how best to use each one differently. Not every coach can do that.

    I think both places are effectively being forced into bring in a bunch of transfers this coming year. Question is who is the most capable of doing this and will it be a long term shift in culture that lasts years or will it be a one or two year aberration before each (The school "culture" at WJ...The HC's "personal DNA" at Cal) goes back to their old ways.
    As much as Pres. Jones would like it, my bet is that DS changes his mindset and recognises that public colleges, even reasonably popular and successful ones, don't have the same connection to a complete group of high schools that Catholic colleges do. When parents spend thousands of dollars on a Gr 1-12 Catholic education it follows that they may want their students to continue on that course in college. He took advantage of that connection during his tenure at WJU. That no longer exists. As far as I can tell he needs a little over 95 minutes of playing time to fill based on the average minutes per game of his six returnees. If COLLIN MACADAMS sticks with his commitment that leaves probably 3-5 more players for a minimal team. Waiting for announcements.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,504
    Rep Power
    31611

    Default Re: Wheeling Jesuit hires new basketball coach

    Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    I only mentioned the currently popular methods of recruiting because looking back at the previous rosters there are almost no transfers or prep schools listed. A great many religious schools and academies seem to predominate since until about 2 months ago this was a hallmark of SANCOMB coached teams which the PR staff in Wheeling were only too pleased to crow about. Public schools like PFW and most of the PSAC schools certainly don't operate to that standard. The change may or may not happen but I think both COACH PECKINPAUGH and the WJU administration may be in for some degree of culture shock.
    Actually as I thought about this more it seems both coaches really need a top notch assistant almost as much as they need players. Someone with a lot of experience as as assistant but preferably someone with HC experience. Connection to statewide and regional HS coaches and conferences would be a major boost to both of these men in their entirely new situations.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, MD
    Posts
    2,327
    Rep Power
    1742

    Default Re: Wheeling Jesuit hires new basketball coach

    Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    What I'd say is it seems like a reasonable choice given the very tough circumstances. A bit young but moving up quickly. As per previous discussion PFW uses the PREP SCHOOL/ TRANSFER route a lot in making up their team. Last year's roster featured 3 HS, 6PS and 5 TRFRS. He definitely will be tested as a coach but almost more as a recruiter. Can't say how the administration will take to the hired gun school of recruiting.
    May be just me but two things stuck out in the press release. Talking about the recent success of WJU MBB with no mention of the coach was odd. I think it would have been smoother to talk about the future only. And the multiple endorsements felt like you just signed a COACH K equivalent rather than a young, reasonably successful fill-in. A bit of overkill.
    It will be interesting to see how CARDINALS MBB is able to adapt.
    To be truthful, Sancomb was an assistant briefly at Wheeling before becoming the head boys coach at St Mary's Ryken HS over here in Maryland. Before taking over WJ, he didn't have the greatest profile but turned out to be good.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,504
    Rep Power
    31611

    Default Re: Wheeling Jesuit hires new basketball coach

    Quote Originally Posted by JDonAB92 View Post
    To be truthful, Sancomb was an assistant briefly at Wheeling before becoming the head boys coach at St Mary's Ryken HS over here in Maryland. Before taking over WJ, he didn't have the greatest profile but turned out to be good.
    Difference was, if I'm correct, that he became an assistant to an established HC in a settled situation. In both of these jobs it would be a great help if the assistant knew the league and had regional connections with coaches whose players may be available. In SANCOMB'S case I might even suggest a call to TONY MOROCCO, the recently retired long time HC at SETON HILL to see if he's be interested in a short term gig while DS gets his program up and running. He actually knows both the PSAC and the WVIAC/MEC having been in charge in GREENSBURG for 15 years. Who knows, having coached against each other for some years they may have the familiarity to make it work. Strictly until a younger assistant can be brought on board.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Wheeling Jesuit hires new basketball coach

    Tark the Shark would be interesting but he never recruited all that well at Seton Hill.

  18. Default Re: Wheeling Jesuit hires new basketball coach

    Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Difference was, if I'm correct, that he became an assistant to an established HC in a settled situation. In both of these jobs it would be a great help if the assistant knew the league and had regional connections with coaches whose players may be available. In SANCOMB'S case I might even suggest a call to TONY MOROCCO, the recently retired long time HC at SETON HILL to see if he's be interested in a short term gig while DS gets his program up and running. He actually knows both the PSAC and the WVIAC/MEC having been in charge in GREENSBURG for 15 years. Who knows, having coached against each other for some years they may have the familiarity to make it work. Strictly until a younger assistant can be brought on board.
    Danny Sancomb and 76 year-old Tony Morocco are from two different eras and would most likely be like oil and water. Danny Sancomb won the MEC with the help of graduate assistants and without a full time assistant. He sure doesn't need Morocco's help to get his program at Cal up and running. He needs to hire a hard working, young assistant who will get after it. I'm sure he will find one soon.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,504
    Rep Power
    31611

    Default Re: Wheeling Jesuit hires new basketball coach

    Quote Originally Posted by PSACwatcher View Post
    Danny Sancomb and 76 year-old Tony Morocco are from two different eras and would most likely be like oil and water. Danny Sancomb won the MEC with the help of graduate assistants and without a full time assistant. He sure doesn't need Morocco's help to get his program at Cal up and running. He needs to hire a hard working, young assistant who will get after it. I'm sure he will find one soon.
    So grad assistant DRAKE GODDARD or PAT MOSEH ???

  20. #20

    Default Re: Wheeling Jesuit hires new basketball coach

    You know it's officially July when grad assistants are being discussed. Lol.

    Almost football time ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •