Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 306

Thread: Bloomsburg

  1. #21

    Default Re: Bloomsburg

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Not saying they aren't good ... just not used much.
    The quality of the QB play in recent years had to be an issue too. I hope its improved this year.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Bloomsburg

    For those playing at home, the last wr to transfer from Bloom to W. Chester was Brandon Simmons.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Bloomsburg

    Good to see Bloom's future QB throw 5 tds in first half of local all-star game.
    http://www.dailyitem.com/sports/leib...07e0908f9.html

  4. #24

    Default Re: Bloomsburg

    Jim Doyle will be calling the games on the new station this year. He is a reason why I am still following Husky sports.
    http://www.buhuskies.com/news/2018/7...ll-season.aspx

  5. #25

    Default Re: Bloomsburg

    Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Jim Doyle will be calling the games on the new station this year. He is a reason why I am still following Husky sports.
    http://www.buhuskies.com/news/2018/7...ll-season.aspx
    That's good news, Jim Doyle is a great announcer. I have friends in the area very disappointed with last years coverage issues - you couldn't go too far from Bloomsburg and still hear the game. Personally, it seemed a bit of an over reaction to me, but it is what it is, and this year is a good conclusion, with probably a better radio station.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Bloomsburg

    Steelers vs Eagles tonight

    Matt Feiler: "he’s probably the strongest guy on the offensive line." https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...man-120354549/

  7. Default Re: Bloomsburg

    Any word on camp and the recruits?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Etters PA
    Posts
    1,124
    Rep Power
    50301

    Default Re: Bloomsburg

    Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Good to see Bloom's future QB throw 5 tds in first half of local all-star game.
    http://www.dailyitem.com/sports/leib...07e0908f9.html
    Uh, I wouldn't annoint Leiby just yet. :)

    http://www.hudl.com/v/28NP4v

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Indiana, Pa.
    Posts
    8,301
    Rep Power
    100913

    Default Re: Bloomsburg

    Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    Uh, I wouldn't annoint Leiby just yet. :)

    http://www.hudl.com/v/28NP4v
    He may not throw five passes in a whole game at Bloom.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Bloomsburg

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    He may not throw five passes in a whole game at Bloom.
    After reading the posts about IUP's running game, that may be a stretch for the hawks too.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Bloomsburg

    The initial roster is up. There are no freshman recruits listed, except DE Simon who transferred in early from prep school.

    Missing from spring roster: DB Brown, DB Ashford, DB Villafane, (all eligible for redshirts, if that is the case) WR: Cunningham. RB: Welton. DL Gadinski who hasn't redshirted yet. OL: Ortolani.

    Additions to spring roster: DB Edney Celius 1,000 yd rusher at Gettysburg H.S. listed as R-Fr (don't know where he was last year) WR Jagger Hartshorn transferred in. Good to see RB Gooden getting another chance. RB Sillman made a fall roster.

    http://wwwbuhuskies.com/roster.aspx?...&path=football
    Last edited by Bart; 08-13-2018 at 07:38 AM.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Bloomsburg

    Freshman recruits were added.

    Missing: OL Besecker, OL Nicholls, WR Foust

    New freshman recruits: WR Swanson 6'5" 200, DL Mowery 6"2" 260

    http://www.buhuskies.com/roster.aspx?path=football

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Etters PA
    Posts
    1,124
    Rep Power
    50301

    Default Re: Bloomsburg

    So who has inside track at QB? Benjamin?

  14. #34

    Default Re: Bloomsburg

    Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    So who has inside track at QB? Benjamin?
    He has 2 years of experience in the program, and has the high school accolades:"Was named AP AAAA First Team All-State at quarterback in 2015 ... also First Team Eastern PA All-State at quarterback ... was the Min-Maxwell Award winner ... Lancaster-Lebanon League Section 1 Player of the Year and was a two-time First Team All-Section selection ... totaled 4,911 yards passing, 929 yards rushing, and 67 total touchdowns in career ... Army Scholar-Athlete Award winner ... member of Honor Roll all four years and was a member of the National Honor Society with a 4.0 GPA ..."

    Next is the battle for the back-up. Levengood is a R-So, and three freshman recruits: Leiby, Van Scyoc, and Woford. One of the freshman is going to give up a redshirt.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Selinsgrove PA
    Posts
    282
    Rep Power
    36

    Default Re: Bloomsburg

    Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    The initial roster is up. There are no freshman recruits listed, except DE Simon who transferred in early from prep school.

    Missing from spring roster: DB Brown, DB Ashford, DB Villafane, (all eligible for redshirts, if that is the case) WR: Cunningham. RB: Welton. DL Gadinski who hasn't redshirted yet. OL: Ortolani.

    Additions to spring roster: DB Edney Celius 1,000 yd rusher at Gettysburg H.S. listed as R-Fr (don't know where he was last year) WR Jagger Hartshorn transferred in. Good to see RB Gooden getting another chance. RB Sillman made a fall roster.

    http://wwwbuhuskies.com/roster.aspx?...&path=football
    Brown ,Villafane and Gadinski would be possible starters on defense or at least see a lot of time. Where did they go? Also I thought McCracken had a medical redshirt?
    Luckily Gooden was allowed to return.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Bloomsburg

    Quote Originally Posted by BloomFan View Post
    Brown ,Villafane and Gadinski would be possible starters on defense or at least see a lot of time. Where did they go? Also I thought McCracken had a medical redshirt?
    Luckily Gooden was allowed to return.
    DB and DL look like they have numbers, so maybe they took a redshirt. Maybe not. McCracken must have decided 5 years of college was enough.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Selinsgrove PA
    Posts
    282
    Rep Power
    36

    Default Re: Bloomsburg

    Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    He has 2 years of experience in the program, and has the high school accolades:"Was named AP AAAA First Team All-State at quarterback in 2015 ... also First Team Eastern PA All-State at quarterback ... was the Min-Maxwell Award winner ... Lancaster-Lebanon League Section 1 Player of the Year and was a two-time First Team All-Section selection ... totaled 4,911 yards passing, 929 yards rushing, and 67 total touchdowns in career ... Army Scholar-Athlete Award winner ... member of Honor Roll all four years and was a member of the National Honor Society with a 4.0 GPA ..."

    Next is the battle for the back-up. Levengood is a R-So, and three freshman recruits: Leiby, Van Scyoc, and Woford. One of the freshman is going to give up a redshirt.
    Benjamin might not pass too much. It could be heavily a running game type season. Big experienced O line with 4 seniors and 5 talented running backs who could contribute well.

    Benjamin can be good but has a lack of passing weapons. Allen is proven solid and Popson has potential but they need more . Maybe Smethers or Gilhool can step up. Honestly Wr Ethan Price's stats weren't eye catching but he could of really helped here as a junior deep threat. Also there is no tight end returning at all with any receiving yards.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Bloomsburg

    Quote Originally Posted by BloomFan View Post
    Benjamin might not pass too much. It could be heavily a running game type season. Big experienced O line with 4 seniors and 5 talented running backs who could contribute well.

    Benjamin can be good but has a lack of passing weapons. Allen is proven solid and Popson has potential but they need more . Maybe Smethers or Gilhool can step up. Honestly Wr Ethan Price's stats weren't eye catching but he could of really helped here as a junior deep threat. Also there is no tight end returning at all with any receiving yards.
    They are going to run. Schlegel at 6'3" 250 has TE size, and Jagger Hartshorn could be a surprise at wr. Both are converted QBs.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Selinsgrove PA
    Posts
    282
    Rep Power
    36

    Default Re: Bloomsburg

    Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    They are going to run. Schlegel at 6'3" 250 has TE size, and Jagger Hartshorn could be a surprise at wr. Both are converted QBs.
    You are right Schlegel might be it. He's a real good athlete. Also Tristan Blasko, the true freshman as his film as a pass catcher at Tight End is really impressive. Vitti looks like a pretty good blocker at Tight End so that could no doubt help the running game.
    The talented Running Game could be very exciting honestly if the starting O line stays healthy. Not tons of depth out of the starting 5, with game experience. Lets just hope the injury bug dont hit there.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Bloomsburg

    College football: Bloom touts depth, experience, winning record

    By DOYLE DIETZ FOR THE NEWS-ITEM

    BLOOMSBURG — For all the depth and experience the Bloomsburg University football has coming into the 2018 season, the bottom line for the Huskies to extend their streak of consecutive winning seasons to 20 – and meeting their goal of bettering last year’s 7-4 overall and 4-3 record in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference East Division – in all likelihood depend on a group of experienced offensive linemen.


    Senior team captain Travis Krall is the anchor at left guard, and redshirt junior Seth Jonassen returns at center. In addition the Huskies got 20 combined starts from redshirt senior Josh Tripp from Southern Columbia, redshirt senior Chris Dunford, redshirt sophomore Shawn Page, Jr., redshirt senior Blake Remensnyder and redshirt junior Scott Rucci.


    “Travis Krall leads the way, and Seth Jonassen is an all-league style player who can play both center and tackle,” Paul Darragh, who enters his sixth season as head coach and 22nd overall with a 41-17 record, said. “A lot of playing experience returns to the offensive line alongside Krall and Jonassen, and the experience and staying healthy are keys.



    “We’re not far off from last season’s “Sharpen the Axe” mentality, and this year’s team preaches working to outwork others. We have to be able to prepare well in order to play well.


    “This group has certainly proved through the spring and hopefully they continue to in the fall that they understand the importance of preparation. A 7-4 season is nothing to be ashamed of, but we all have higher expectations, but we also realize that it takes a lot of hard work and good fortune to be better than that.”


    Last season the Huskies rushing attack finished seventh in the PSAC, totaling 1,881 yards for san average of 171.0 yards per game, and 22 touchdowns. Returning are three veterans in Qmac Quiteh, Alex Gooden and Tre Green, and they will be joined by Hakeem Sillman and Okay Osameka.


    Quiteh is coming off a year when he was an All-Conference selection after rushing for 998 yards and eight rushing touchdowns. Gooden ran for 681 yards and three touchdowns, and Green ran for 138 yards and one touchdown.


    “We have three or four guys that are capable of playing,” Darragh said. “It is critical for us in our offense to have a stable of tailbacks.


    “Depth there is critical because in the past we’ve relied a lot on the tailback position. We’re excited about the experience coming back at that spot.”


    Jack Gaugler from Selinsgrove was the leading rusher among the fullbacks and also caught two passes. Returning after being injured last season is Alex Arcangeli.


    “Having two of our top three fullbacks back gives us two different types of players and two different styles,” Darragh said. “Jack is more of a traditional fullback, while Alex is a guy who can run with the ball and presents us with versatility on how to use him in one-back sets and such.”


    Experience upfront and in the backfield should help the development of a group of young quarterbacks. Redshirt freshman Erik Benjamin goes into the season No. 1 on the depth chart after serving as backup to Chris Palubinsky, who passed for nearly 1,900 yards and 11 touchdowns and set a school record for quarterback with 10 rushing touchdowns.


    “This is Erik’s job now, and it is his time to flourish,” Darragh said. “He is very comfortable in the system, and has all the athletic attributes you want in a quarterback.”


    Returning at wide receiver is All-Conference selection Michael Allen and Jay Popson. Allen caught 49 passes for 650 yards and eight touchdowns, Popson was second on the team with 32 catches for 512 yards and three other receivers – including converted quarterback Duffy Gilhool — contributed 33 receptions for an additional 472 yards.


    With the graduation of captain Aaron Allison the Huskies will be young at the tight end position. Kevin Vitti, a fullback at Jim Thorpe, and Ben Frey, who is the long snapper on special teams, are the leading candidates, but Arcangeli may move back to the position.


    Don Hansen First Team All-American tackle Jake Klinger from Central Columbia and Don Hansen First Team All-American end Chris Gary lead a defensive line that had 20.5 of the team’s 35.5 sacks. Klinger had 11 sacks and Gary had seven.


    “When you look at your team, you first look at how you are going to be up front, because that is where you win games,” Darragh said. “I think this unit is definitely another strength of our team as long as we can stay healthy.


    “Some of the best players on our football team are on our defensive line, and our depth at the defensive end position can add volumes to the quality of our play, and Alex Findura, whose versatility has shown on the defensive line and even in some offensive sets.


    “Alex is a guy who has shown great promise as both a defensive end and a defensive tackle. We’re going to hopefully be near the top of the league again in sacks.”


    Darragh feels that the linebackers as a group are ready for the challenge of playing up to last year’s standards that accounted for nine sacks and six fumble recoveries. He has high expectations for team captain Nate Monroe as a player and as a leader on the defensive side of the ball.



    “It starts with the bell cow of the defense, Nate Monroe, because he is who gets us lined up,” Darragh said. “With the complexities that today’s offenses bring to the table, his experience, durability, and quick thinking is invaluable.”


    Although the Huskies play out of a 4-3 base defense, they do use a lot of 4-2-5 looks because of the offensive style on the other side of the ball. Redshirt junior Alex Annan brings experience to the linebacker position and is also a leader.


    After graduating 2017 captain Eric Schwartz in the defensive backfield, Darragh is excited about the depth at the position and the combinations of players that the Huskies will feature in the secondary. Although the safety position is young and features some developmental periods, there is also experience at the position with several reserves returning.


    “We start at the cornerback position with one team captain in Dexter Jordan and a guy that could have been a captain in Marquis Seamon,” Darragh said. “Josh Salak has really come through and proven to be a heck of a physical safety, and he can also play some of the nickel position as well, so I think he is in a spot where he can really flourish.


    “Our goal is to find our best seven or eight guys and rotate them between safety, corner and nickel and see where everyone fits best in the scheme. Competition is good, there are a lot of young guys like Tyshaun Pollard, Chris Monaco, Victor Delgado and KaSean Patterson in the mix for playing time, so hopefully that competition brings the talent to a level that we can use to compete against these spread offenses.”


    With the retirement of Ed Rush after 13 years as coach of the special teams Darragh will take over coaching the specialists. Offensive players will handle the bulk of the returns for both punts and kickoffs, and some defensive players will also get a chance in the return game.


    Of the 13 returning starters, seven are on offense and six on defense. Of the 11 starters lost, four were on offense, five on defense and two on special teams.


    “We’re excited about the season,” Darragh said. “We had a very good spring and now each day we get closer and closer to kickoff.


    “We’ve got a great opportunity to be better than we were last year.”


    By making that evaluation, Darragh is putting it on the line for his team.

    https://www.newsitem.com/sports/coll...19a6e5b5c.html

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •