Thread: Toughest 3 game stretch

Contribute to D2

Default Toughest 3 game stretch

On ESPNU Radio this morning they had a topic of the toughest 3 game stretch for FBS teams. I thought it would be cool to do ours.

CAL start off on the road with Ohio Domican, Kutztown, and Shippensbug. Then has a home opener. OOOF!
    Also saw Clarion has CAl, IUP and Slipper Rock. That's a rough one.

What do you got?

Default Re: Toughest 3 game stretch

Shippensburg (2017 records)

Slippery Rock (8-3)
    California (9-3)
    @ Bloomsburg (7-4)
    @ West Chester (9-4)
    LIU Post (8-2)

Mercyhurst
    Bloomsburg (7-4)
    @ IUP (13-1)
    Slippery Rock (8-3)

Clarion gets stuck with that stretch all the time. Brutal.

at Millersville, Morgan and Co. will have their eyes opened....hopefully they get by Pace to open, but then its into the fire...
    @ IUP
    vs. Rock
    @ West Chest.
    some boys will become men, in that 4 week stretch....maybe even the AD...???

Quote Originally Posted by QBWR View Post
    at Millersville, Morgan and Co. will have their eyes opened....hopefully they get by Pace to open, but then its into the fire...
    @ IUP
    vs. Rock
    @ West Chest.
    some boys will become men, in that 4 week stretch....maybe even the AD...???

And what is really bad is the IUP game was originally a home game but got switched to a road game once Cheyney messed up the schedule and then it just got moved to a Thursday night.

Clarion has to take this one running away. This will be the 5th straight year they have a 3 game stretch of Cal/IUP/Rock in that order. Over the previous four years that gauntlet combined for an overall record of 110-30 with probably no less than 5/6 of those 30 losses coming in the playoffs or state game. A brutal stretch, oh and if your wondering they are 1-11 in those games over that stretch....

Quote Originally Posted by CUlater View Post
    Clarion has to take this one running away. This will be the 5th straight year they have a 3 game stretch of Cal/IUP/Rock in that order. Over the previous four years that gauntlet combined for an overall record of 110-30 with probably no less than 5/6 of those 30 losses coming in the playoffs or state game. A brutal stretch, oh and if your wondering they are 1-11 in those games over that stretch....
    That 110-30 ... subtract the games beating each other. Scary numbers versus rest of West.

Quote Originally Posted by CUlater View Post
    Who lost that 1 to the Golden Eagles ???
    Looking back over the last 10 years, CALU has had some close games with CLARION but hasn't lost recently.
    Last edited by CALUPA69; 06-15-2018 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Additional info

Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Who lost that 1 to the Golden Eagles ???
    Looking back over the last 10 years, CALU has had some close games with CLARION but hasn't lost recently.

I believe it was Slimey Pebble.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    I believe it was Slimey Pebble.
    Yup. Clarion 27, Rock 24 in 2016:

https://clariongoldeneagles.com/news...over-rock.aspx
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Clarion is never an easy game. Always physical and a grind. The record doesn't reflect it but they rarely just get run out of the stadium.

They do a good job there with the limited resources they have. Call it a trap game or, as I see it the Hawks were hungover from the previous two weeks, ... whatever but Clarion pushed IUP around last year. IUP got real lucky to escape up there.

12. Default

It’s not out of the world to think 0-5 for Cal to start could happen.
    ODU is full of studs , Ktown and Ship are solid teams out east.

Boro has taken allot of lumps from Cal the last 15 Year’s , and IUP is the favorite by a stretch.

4-1 would be great, 3-2 is more realistic imo.

I believe it’s been since 04 that boro got the best of Cal so that one has me very worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CALU_Crazies View Post
    It’s not out of the world to think 0-5 for Cal to start could happen.
    ODU is full of studs , Ktown and Ship are solid teams out east.

Boro has taken allot of lumps from Cal the last 15 Year’s , and IUP is the favorite by a stretch.

4-1 would be great, 3-2 is more realistic imo.

I believe it’s been since 04 that boro got the best of Cal so that one has me very worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's correct. 05 was when Cal really started turning the corner. I went down to watch the game at Adamson and Joe Ruggerio and Antoine Bagwell upset Edinboro.

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    Shippensburg (2017 records)

Slippery Rock (8-3)
    California (9-3)
    @ Bloomsburg (7-4)
    @ West Chester (9-4)
    LIU Post (8-2)

Mercyhurst
    Bloomsburg (7-4)
    @ IUP (13-1)
    Slippery Rock (8-3)
    Tough for sure. How about LHU 3 non league games @Duquesne, IUP-Home and at Texas A&M Commerce. Unreal. Must be getting free air-fare , lodging and meals on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP412 View Post
    Tough for sure. How about LHU 3 non league games @Duquesne, IUP-Home and at Texas A&M Commerce. Unreal. Must be getting free air-fare , lodging and meals on that one.
    Hands down LHU and Ship have the toughest schedules when you consider the OOC games as well as the cross over division games. Ship essentially swapped a 1 win Cheyney team for a playoff LIU team while having to play SRU and Cal in crossover play. On the other side LHU hosts the reigning PSAC champ, travels to what might be the 2018 NEC conference champs (FCS) and also travels to the reigning D2 champs under the lights in Texas in front of a rowdy 8000+ fans.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Clarion is never an easy game. Always physical and a grind. The record doesn't reflect it but they rarely just get run out of the stadium.

They do a good job there with the limited resources they have. Call it a trap game or, as I see it the Hawks were hungover from the previous two weeks, ... whatever but Clarion pushed IUP around last year. IUP got real lucky to escape up there.
    They have been surprisingly competitive in those games despite their record and increasingly competitive over the last two. Last year they shut out all three of those teams in the second half with their defense giving up only 21 cal/23 IUP/10 Rock. those are some pretty good offenses to hold to those numbers with not much help from their own. should be interesting this year as they added a lot of speed and athleticism to that D that already returned a good chunk of their talent and the offense looks like it will be improved greatly putting some talent on the outsides for the first time since they graduated their two AA WR's. QB situation should be set and they have a real nice stable of RB's, looking forward to it.

17. Default Re: Toughest 3 game stretch

'14-'19, that is 6 straight years Clarion will play Cal, IUP, SRU in that order? Imagine Maryland having to play OSU, Michigan & PSU in that order for 6 straight seasons? Clarion has played at least 2 of those back to back every since 2010. SRU hasn't played Cal & IUP back to back since 2005, I wonder if it's an accident or done on purpose? But Steve is adding another team to a league that is run backwards.......

Clarion should raise a fuss about it. That can't happen year after year.

Coaches will babble on about the next game, etc., but that trio certainly takes a major toll.