Thread: Redshirt Rules

Contribute to D2

Default Redshirt Rules

Did you guys see this?

The NCAA just changed the redshirt rules.  Now a player can play in 4 games and still keep his redshirt!!  HUGE game changer. Will also be interested to see how this affects kids staying in school and transferring.  It might only be for Division 1 per the NCAA twitter account. Will have to wait and see.

In addition a coach can no longer keep a kid from transferring from MW to NW or any other school. The Saban rule has been put into effect!

Interesting times, wonder how that changes things on the recruiting trail and in practices?

Default Re: Redshirt Rules

Redshirt: https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...-opportunities

Permission to contact: https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...ontact-process

Both appear to be D1 rules only at this point.

Interesting for sure. Really was hoping the redshirt rule would have applied to D2 as well this year.

A couple of things...these rules are for Division I football only right now. Hasn't filtered down to D2 yet, but I don't know if you were insinuating that or not. The redshirt rule is only in the case of a medical or hardship. It's not for a team to play a player for four games then sit them and still keep eligibility. This is really only an increase of two games to the current rule that had been in place for D1 already. As far as a transfer rule, individual conferences can still mandate years that a player must sit if transferring from one conference school to another. Conference rules sometimes are stricter than NCAA rules, so a coach can't stop a permission to contact, but a conference can still say "you will sit out a year and won't receive a scholarship during that year," which is the current rule if you transfer within the MIAA.

Quote Originally Posted by mosoman View Post
    A couple of things...these rules are for Division I football only right now. Hasn't filtered down to D2 yet, but I don't know if you were insinuating that or not. The redshirt rule is only in the case of a medical or hardship. It's not for a team to play a player for four games then sit them and still keep eligibility. This is really only an increase of two games to the current rule that had been in place for D1 already. As far as a transfer rule, individual conferences can still mandate years that a player must sit if transferring from one conference school to another. Conference rules sometimes are stricter than NCAA rules, so a coach can't stop a permission to contact, but a conference can still say "you will sit out a year and won't receive a scholarship during that year," which is the current rule if you transfer within the MIAA.
    This is not the way the Nebraska AD explained the changes on a tv interview. Said that if you had a player you weren't sure was ready yet that you could now play him up to four games to see if he was ready before you decide to red shirt him or not.
    Luck is where Preparation meets Opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by voicefromthestands View Post
    This is not the way the Nebraska AD explained the changes on a tv interview. Said that if you had a player you weren't sure was ready yet that you could now play him up to four games to see if he was ready before you decide to red shirt him or not.
    That's how it read in the Kansas City Star.

From everything that I’ve read, you can play a kid in 4 games and if you decide he isn’t ready he just redshirts and doesn’t use a season. I think we’re going to see a lot of draft eligible players sit bowl games now and coaches put in “true freshmen” to play without burning eligibility.

One note I did read. If a player graduates in December (JUCO or HS) he cannot play in the bowl game the team is in. IE player graduates December 2018, he can’t suit up for the Cotton Bowl in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk