Thread: WSSU Plans for New Football Stadium and Arena

Contribute to D2

Default WSSU Plans for New Football Stadium and Arena

WSSU's 20 year master plan came out and it calls for a new on campus stadium (6,000 capacity) and a new convocation center/arena (3,000 capacity).

Personally I think both of those sizes are too small for our school, but at least there are proactive conversations taking place. Also, not the biggest fan of the proposed "L shaped field" as there looks to be no visitor side in the picture.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local...9d882d21c.html

Default Re: WSSU Plans for New Football Stadium and Arena

That would be weird to have that "L" shaped seating but I see a clue that it may not be that way. Despite seeing what looks like a press box on the upper side of the field, the Ram head logo at midfield is shown facing the possible seating that is hidden by the trees on the lower side. I don't think anyone would have a logo on the playing surface oriented to where it would be upside-down to everyone in the stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Boys View Post
    That would be weird to have that "L" shaped seating but I see a clue that it may not be that way. Despite seeing what looks like a press box on the upper side of the field, the Ram head logo at midfield is shown facing the possible seating that is hidden by the trees on the lower side. I don't think anyone would have a logo on the playing surface oriented to where it would be upside-down to everyone in the stands.
    That's a good catch and I hope that is the case.

You can't tell by the picture, but that area with the trees is a steep hill with a straight drop off. If you click the link (https://www.wssu.edu/student-life/un...ges/faqs-2.jpg), everything behind that fence is a straight down hill.

I'm no engineer so I don't know if it could be feasible to build a structure off the side of the hill to support bleachers.

I'm no engineer either; I also know absolutely nothing about your campus but I did get an idea. I used google satellite map to get a better understanding of the terrain. Since you already have a football field with track (just without the bleachers) that's a good start. I would remove Cromartie Street between the south end of the Gaines Center to the turn at Atkins Hall. Use the slope from Cromartie down to the track to build the west bleachers on; this would be similar to Henderson State. Shift the field as close to the bleachers as the NCAA allows and this might leave enough room on the east side for a few rows of seating. In the space where Cromartie was you can make that the pedestrian plaza like we did on the west side of our stadium at Arkansas Tech with that section of the street removed. I have no expectations that this is possible, it's just an idea.

To reference the ideas:
    ATU - https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2903...!3m1!1e3?hl=en
    HSU - https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1347...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

5. Default Re: WSSU Plans for New Football Stadium and Arena

Only 6,000? What's Winston's average home attendance (excluding homecoming)? I figured if they ever built their own stadium it would have a smaller capacity than BGS, but thought WSSU could justifiably build a 10K capacity stadium.
    Last edited by 4_tattoos; 06-12-2018 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Boys View Post
    I'm no engineer either; I also know absolutely nothing about your campus but I did get an idea. I used google satellite map to get a better understanding of the terrain. Since you already have a football field with track (just without the bleachers) that's a good start. I would remove Cromartie Street between the south end of the Gaines Center to the turn at Atkins Hall. Use the slope from Cromartie down to the track to build the west bleachers on; this would be similar to Henderson State. Shift the field as close to the bleachers as the NCAA allows and this might leave enough room on the east side for a few rows of seating. In the space where Cromartie was you can make that the pedestrian plaza like we did on the west side of our stadium at Arkansas Tech with that section of the street removed. I have no expectations that this is possible, it's just an idea.

To reference the ideas:
    ATU - https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2903...!3m1!1e3?hl=en
    HSU - https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1347...!3m1!1e3?hl=en
    That's a really good idea to remove Cromartie street, and without having the need for a track, I think that could give us enough room to have a home and away side. Back in 03-04 the school turned one of the main streets into a pedestrian walk way, which in my opinion was a great move. So I am all for tearing up that stretch of Cromartie, because outside of move in day that stretch of the street isn't really utilized that much.

Quote Originally Posted by 4_tattoos View Post
    Only 6,000? What's Winston's average home attendance (excluding homecoming)? I figured if they ever built their own stadium it would have a smaller capacity than BGS, but thought WSSU could justifiably build a 10K capacity stadium.
    Technically we have not had a non homecoming game "stated attendance" above 6K since 2014 when we hosted Tuskegee. Now our school is notorious for under counting our attendance. They don't count the band and that takes up a section, plus they get really funny with the students (they swipe their cards but don't send them through the turnstile at the gate). We had a game with St Augs in 2012 that had over 9K, and I have been to plenty of games since then with similar crowd sizes but somehow the numbers never seem to be reported close to that. With a new AD coming to the school it should be interesting to see if our attendance reporting starts to change.

With all that said, I agree and in my opinion we shouldn't build a stadium under 12K. We would at least want to be able to host homecoming, and even at 12K we would be turning people away. The school is projected to get to around 6K enrollment so we need something that is big enough to hold students and fans (especially since student fees are supposed to guarantee entry to sporting events for students).

We also hold graduation outside now (weather permitting), and this past class had around 1,200 students to walk, so a 6K stadium wouldn't cut it to allow enough guest.

Based on the future rendition of the new football stadium, they must be anticipating a decline in game attendances in the coming years (see link).

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local...9d882d21c.html

Even with both teams on the field, the stadium's over half empty. Maybe a 3,000 seat stadium will suffice;)

Quote Originally Posted by LegalRam View Post
    Technically we have not had a non homecoming game "stated attendance" above 6K since 2014 when we hosted Tuskegee. Now our school is notorious for under counting our attendance. They don't count the band and that takes up a section, plus they get really funny with the students (they swipe their cards but don't send them through the turnstile at the gate). We had a game with St Augs in 2012 that had over 9K, and I have been to plenty of games since then with similar crowd sizes but somehow the numbers never seem to be reported close to that. With a new AD coming to the school it should be interesting to see if our attendance reporting starts to change.

With all that said, I agree and in my opinion we shouldn't build a stadium under 12K. We would at least want to be able to host homecoming, and even at 12K we would be turning people away. The school is projected to get to around 6K enrollment so we need something that is big enough to hold students and fans (especially since student fees are supposed to guarantee entry to sporting events for students).

We also hold graduation outside now (weather permitting), and this past class had around 1,200 students to walk, so a 6K stadium wouldn't cut it to allow enough guest.
    Go with the crazy idea from above and add an upper deck on either or both sidelines. Coupled with the north endzone seating, that would probably be about 12,000. You can always close it off when you anticipate it will not be needed.

10. Default Re: WSSU Plans for New Football Stadium and Arena

I spoke to a person who was intimately involved with the long-range master plan pitched to the WSSU Board of Trustees. The football stadium idea was added as a very "viable" option but he also said that it was meant to serve as a "point of leverage" to hopefully "jolt" the NC General Assembly and City leaders into action. The person I spoke to said that since members of the NC legislature who oppose WSSU owning Bowman Gray Stadium have stonewalled progress, adding an on-campus stadium option to the long range plan would "raise eyebrows" to possibly speed up the final purchase process. He noted that since many alumni have already openly expressed a need and desire to build our own facility it was a "calculated" strategey to have the resaerch firm who compiled the master plan include this option in our long range planning. I said to him, this all sounds good but what's the end game? According to him, owning Bowman Gray Stadium is "still" the first option because the university really wants the land that accompanies it as well as Civitan Park. Interesting strategy... We'll see if it pans out! Stay tuned!

11. Default Re: WSSU Plans for New Football Stadium and Arena

WSSU has put out a Frequently asked questions link: https://www.wssu.edu/about/news/arti...ster-plan.html

Take a look at how they address the new stadium and Bowman Gray.

12. Default Re: WSSU Plans for New Football Stadium and Arena

Yeah 6000 does seem small. Hopefully they build it in a way that additional seating can be added in the future (if needed).

I'd just like to get down that way one time & catch a game at the venerable BG just for the uniqueness of the stadium!

That's a really good idea to remove Cromartie street, and without having the need for a track, I think that could give us enough room to have a home and away side. Back in 03-04 the school turned one of the main streets into a pedestrian walk way, which in my opinion was a great move. So I am all for tearing up that stretch of Cromartie, because outside of move in day that stretch of the street isn't really utilized that much.
    You are quite incorrect in regards to the use of that stretch of Cromartie. It is the only way to go through the campus. Remove that stretch and folks are forced to deal with the MLK lights and pedestrians. It is essential for campus operations such as police and maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by wssuram View Post
    You are quite incorrect in regards to the use of that stretch of Cromartie. It is the only way to go through the campus. Remove that stretch and folks are forced to deal with the MLK lights and pedestrians. It is essential for campus operations such as police and maintenance.
    Campus police and maintenance wouldn't constitute a significant portion of the campus population. If you cut off that little streatch you would be essentially just be cutting it from the new dorm/old Dillard to Gaines. There is not that much need to go that route. There is essentially no building that couldn't still be accessible by another road. Also, there are long term plans to move that entrance of the campus down to MLK and Reynolds Park Road, while turning MLK from a 4 lane to 2 lane road. With the new road they built, and tearing out of the old stadium drive exit there is essentially no need for people to take that stretch of MLK if they aren't going to the school.

I say that to say a small inconvenience for maintenance and campus police is worth it if we are trying to find space to build a legitimate on campus facility. Plus a lot of people were also thinking there would be issues when they tore roads out of the middle of campus before, and we see that has served as a major benefit.

Campus police and maintenance wouldn't constitute a significant portion of the campus population. If you cut off that little streatch you would be essentially just be cutting it from the new dorm/old Dillard to Gaines. There is not that much need to go that route. There is essentially no building that couldn't still be accessible by another road. Also, there are long term plans to move that entrance of the campus down to MLK and Reynolds Park Road, while turning MLK from a 4 lane to 2 lane road. With the new road they built, and tearing out of the old stadium drive exit there is essentially no need for people to take that stretch of MLK if they aren't going to the school.

I say that to say a small inconvenience for maintenance and campus police is worth it if we are trying to find space to build a legitimate on campus facility. Plus a lot of people were also thinking there would be issues when they tore roads out of the middle of campus before, and we see that has served as a major benefit.
    I am speaking of more than police and maintenance who use the road as I am in campus daily. Furthermore, minor inconveniences are critical when it comes to emergency management. An incident occurs in Foundation Heights or Brown Hall, Cromartie to MLK to Reynolds Park Road is not an efficient route.

Additionally, if MLK is reduced from 4 lanes to 2 lanes, closing Cromartie off makes no sense because it forces more traffic on to MLK.
    Last edited by wssuram; 06-17-2018 at 11:06 PM.

I disagree. Cutting Cromartie from Gaines to Atkins would work for Stadium and not cause a problem.

It would be about an extra 1/2 mile and 3 lights.
    I am speaking of more than police and maintenance who use the road as I am in campus daily. Furthermore, minor inconveniences are critical when it comes to emergency management. An incident occurs in Foundation Heights or Brown Hall, Cromartie to MLK to Reynolds Park Road is not an efficient route.

Additionally, if MLK is reduced from 4 lanes to 2 lanes, closing Cromartie off makes no sense because it forces more traffic on to MLK.
    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

As willicor pointed out you are only talking about a short distance and a handful of lights for a campus police officer to have to go around and down MLK. Plus they do have sirens that they can cut on to speed up the process of getting to Foundation Heights or Brown if it's a true emergency. In addition, we don't have on campus EMS, so an ambulance would be coming from offsite anyway and cutting off that portion of Cromartie would have no impact on ambulance services. Also, Campus Police and Maintenance already have to go a roundabout way to get to Gleason, Wilson, and Rams Commons so this really wouldn't be that much more time than it currently takes to get to those dorms.

Quote Originally Posted by willicor View Post
    I disagree. Cutting Cromartie from Gaines to Atkins would work for Stadium and not cause a problem.

It would be about an extra 1/2 mile and 3 lights.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    So where will there be a flow for traffic? That set up makes for a recipe for constant bottleneck traffic.

I would not worry much about that as i dont see this as being a reality as long as there is a chance for obtaining Bowman Gray. The land that BG is on is more of a value to the university than the stadium.