Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Augie d1 thread

Contribute to D2

Default Augie d1 thread

As many know there has been talk of Augustana going d1, with its funding and elite sports teams. Along with the growing community some prominent boosters are pushing for it, lead by Sanford Hospital CEO Kelby Krabbenhoft..... here is his interview with kwsn about future d1 outlook

http://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-talk...WCCkTM.twitter

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Default Re: Augie d1 thread

My take on that is that his focus is on basketball. As far as his take on football- well, the Pioneer would be the best that they could do. Worst case scenario- leave that beautiful K-O stadium empty on Saturday afternoons.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    My take on that is that his focus is on basketball. As far as his take on football- well, the Pioneer would be the best that they could do. Worst case scenario- leave that beautiful K-O stadium empty on Saturday afternoons.
    I think you are right. The focus is on basketball. The problem they have is that one of the biggest financial donors they have is aligned with football. Not only does he donate but he is employed. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I feel like no scholarship D1 football would be the death of the football program. I could be wrong but I know when they considered going that route 9-10 years ago the consensus was there would be a mass exodus of football players looking for other programs. Maybe that would be the fallout before you rebuild the program under the no scholarship model but I think it would be a tough sell with very good D1 FCS teams/leagues and a very good D2 league in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Augiefanman View Post
    I think you are right. The focus is on basketball. The problem they have is that one of the biggest financial donors they have is aligned with football. Not only does he donate but he is employed. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I feel like no scholarship D1 football would be the death of the football program. I could be wrong but I know when they considered going that route 9-10 years ago the consensus was there would be a mass exodus of football players looking for other programs. Maybe that would be the fallout before you rebuild the program under the no scholarship model but I think it would be a tough sell with very good D1 FCS teams/leagues and a very good D2 league in the city.
    I think the no-scholarship football approach would be a terrible path. If you need to ditch football to go D-1, it's not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by wsuguy87 View Post
    I think the no-scholarship football approach would be a terrible path. If you need to ditch football to go D-1, it's not worth it.
    I've said it before on here and I'll say it again- and I know that there are MSU people who read this.

If MSU drops football- like they did the year after I graduated- I will not give one red cent to MSU again. I'll be a whore and sell my loyalty to some other athletic program.

I have heard some rumors that MSU would possibly follow Augie to D1 if they did this and join the Pioneer. And that would be a mistake.

I've said it before on here and I'll say it again- and I know that there are MSU people who read this.

If MSU drops football- like they did the year after I graduated- I will not give one red cent to MSU again. I'll be a whore and sell my loyalty to some other athletic program.

I have heard some rumors that MSU would possibly follow Augie to D1 if they did this and join the Pioneer. And that would be a mistake.
    What if they moved up with football but found a conference besides the PFL?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by njmav1 View Post
    What if they moved up with football but found a conference besides the PFL?
    I would still support MSU if they did that since they wouldn't be dropping football. However:

A. We would need a new stadium. I don't see the president pushing for such a move.

B. We would need more fans. The same people around Mankato who say, "I don't go because they are "only" D2" are the same people who will be too cheap to go to D1 games because ticket prices are higher.

C. The only other possible conference to join would be the Missouri Valley Football Conference. Tough competition with the four Dakota schools and UNI for starters.

D. Money for all sports would have to increase. Basketball has the money but the other sports?

I'll try to make sure Augieholic or I get you an Augie hat and t-shirt immediately after declaring your free agency. :)

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    I'll try to make sure Augieholic or I get you an Augie hat and t-shirt immediately after declaring your free agency. :)

Quote Originally Posted by wsuguy87 View Post
    I agree.

I'll one up you with a BSU hat and a Hockey Jersey!
    Millsy

Quote Originally Posted by Millsy View Post
    I'll one up you with a BSU hat and a Hockey Jersey!
    This free agency thing is looking good!

Nah, we already know he'd be a Mustang fan...

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Nah, we already know he'd be a Mustang fan...
    There would be obvious geographical advantages. BLHS Mustangs, similar distance to drive, able to consume complimentary Schwan's products........

Someone on another thread made a good point. If they dropped all of their scholarships with the intention of growing later, they would have a huge amount of ground to make up. He said that they should keep the same number for now and go Independent in FCS.

WSC could offer chocolate milk by the gallon

Quote Originally Posted by wscsuperfan View Post
    WSC could offer chocolate milk by the gallon

There are enough NSIC fans in Minnesota and South Dakota already - Laker will come join the flock in Iowa! #feathersup

If Augie decides to leave I'm okay with sticking it out a few more years at D2 to watch Augie and their situation.
    I'm not going to lie if MSU went D1 I'd be thrilled I don't want to lose football but if we could keep it I want to be in the best position to be successful immediately. So take your time and let the offers come to you MSU

I know this is the Augie D1 thread, but MSU has been mentioned a few times. I actually would really dislike a move to D1 unless they were 100% prepared to make the jump (which includes a football stadium upgrade or all-out replacement).

Regarding both Augie and MSU, they are too good athletically at the D2 level overall to move up and be bottom feeders for a handful of years in low-level D1 conferences. It does make sense at Augie with the size and financial wherewithal of Sioux Falls. Just not sure it would work in Mankato. Mankato is a hockey town and they no longer even come close to selling out their hockey games after the conference realignment. Money would NOT be there overall for a complete move to D1 at MSU.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast