Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nonconference schedules 2018-19

Default Re: Nonconference schedules 2018-19

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmoves View Post
    Truman should be the favorite in the West GLVC, with Drury a close second. I like Truman's coach 's pedigree, but he is the question mark for them. Still don't understand how they lost their coach to McKendree. Was their some untold story there, or were they just not willing to pay what Mckendree was offering?

Jewell should be good as well. West may be better than East this year. Are we back to two divisions?
    I think Truman is going to be good. However, I'm wondering what your logic is. Drury beat Truman 2 out of 3 last year and Truman lost more than Drury did. Drury returns basically their whole team (lost 1 senior that didn't play much). Truman also lost 1 player, but he led them in scoring, rebounding, FG%, and was their best 3 point shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by DUPanther View Post
    I think Truman is going to be good. However, I'm wondering what your logic is. Drury beat Truman 2 out of 3 last year and Truman lost more than Drury did. Drury returns basically their whole team (lost 1 senior that didn't play much). Truman also lost 1 player, but he led them in scoring, rebounding, FG%, and was their best 3 point shooter.
    It's probably a coin flip between them, but my preference for Truman was based on the games both teams played against Bellarmine. I just thought Truman looked like a better all around team. I also think that Broderic Thomas is a definite candidate for POY in the GLVC and Velky is a hard nosed leader that gives them a tough attitude. The question about Truman's coach is a legitimate question for handicapping purposes, so I will retract my statement that they should be favored over Drury.

It's probably a coin flip between them, but my preference for Truman was based on the games both teams played against Bellarmine. I just thought Truman looked like a better all around team. I also think that Broderic Thomas is a definite candidate for POY in the GLVC and Velky is a hard nosed leader that gives them a tough attitude. The question about Truman's coach is a legitimate question for handicapping purposes, so I will retract my statement that they should be favored over Drury.
    Foster did a nice job at Truman. The new coach has a good resume, but is unproven at this level. He's going to start with a talented team so it'll be interesting to see if he can keep the momentum going into year 3 after most of Foster's guys are gone.

I'm biased, but I'm giving the edge to Drury. Defending West champs (although I'm not sure there is an East and a West this year), bring back the entire team, and had a ton of first year players last year. Hesser's teams always get better when he has continuity, and everyone that made any difference at all is back. Watching them over the summer, it looks to me like Conley Garrison (all GLVC freshman team last year) has elevated his game significantly.

Drury's schedule is up, although they don't have opponents listed for a few events.

Other than what's on their schedule, I've been told they'll play West Texas and Embry-Riddle plus one yet to be named in the West Coast event. One of the opponents for the Thanksgiving Classic is Upper Iowa, not sure who the other one is. In December they'll play at Barry and one other opponent.

So, still 3 games I'm not sure of, but so far a pretty tough non-con. Upper Iowa has been decent and both Barry and West Texas were in the E-8 last year.

Drury's schedule is up, although they don't have opponents listed for a few events.

Other than what's on their schedule, I've been told they'll play West Texas and Embry-Riddle plus one yet to be named in the West Coast event. One of the opponents for the Thanksgiving Classic is Upper Iowa, not sure who the other one is. In December they'll play at Barry and one other opponent.

So, still 3 games I'm not sure of, but so far a pretty tough non-con. Upper Iowa has been decent and both Barry and West Texas were in the E-8 last year.
    I've got a few more of Drury's games figured out now. See my first post for updates.

Velky not listed on Truman's roster. That's a big blow if that's true.

Velky not listed on Truman's roster. That's a big blow if that's true.
    Heard he had the opportunity to graduate in December and begin the next stage of his academic/professional career at the start of 2019, which led to him not returning this season. Frustrating to the common fan, but considering these are Division 2 athletes, it's hard to blame him for taking advantage of a great opportunity that will benefit him for the rest of his life.

Drury the no-doubt favorite in the west now.

Quote Originally Posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
    Heard he had the opportunity to graduate in December and begin the next stage of his academic/professional career at the start of 2019, which led to him not returning this season. Frustrating to the common fan, but considering these are Division 2 athletes, it's hard to blame him for taking advantage of a great opportunity that will benefit him for the rest of his life.

Not a knock on the new coach, but having your coach leave for your senior year probably didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post

Yes that is very large indeed. Velky was once tough kid. He would have been the leader for this year's team. Happy for him, he got a good opportunity in his real life. Happy for me because he would have been tough on my team!

Quote Originally Posted by schnautza View Post
    I've got a few more of Drury's games figured out now. See my first post for updates.
    Besides West Texas, Drury also playing Concordia (CA) and Azusa Pacific in the California event.

That's a pretty tough 3 game start to the season. West Texas was in the Elite 8 last year, Concordia was 20-11, and Azusa Pacific was 21-11 and lost in their Regional semi-final.

Besides West Texas, Drury also playing Concordia (CA) and Azusa Pacific in the California event.

That's a pretty tough 3 game start to the season. West Texas was in the Elite 8 last year, Concordia was 20-11, and Azusa Pacific was 21-11 and lost in their Regional semi-final.
    Good find on APU. That was the missing piece of the puzzle.

With the unbalanced schedule in the GLIAC, GV and Ferris only play once this year

Midwest teams that have NOT released full schedules:
    Cedarville
    LSSU
    Malone
    McKendree
    Salem
    USI
    Last edited by schnautza; 09-13-2018 at 12:03 PM.

14. Default Re: Nonconference schedules 2018-19

According to Western Kentucky website they will play KWC in exhibition on November 3

http://wkusports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

According to BU website, USI is playing in the BU Classic, so it looks like you can add Barry and Northern Michigan to USI's schedule.

16. Default Re: Nonconference schedules 2018-19

According to BU website, USI is playing in the BU Classic, so it looks like you can add Barry and Northern Michigan to USI's schedule.
    That would be some great games to see. It would be very encouraging to see USI do well.

Quote Originally Posted by glvcpro View Post
    That would be some great games to see. It would be very encouraging to see USI do well.
    A little better than the usual lineup for this type of event. NMU is coming off a respectable season, over .500 in the GLIAC, including a 3 point loss to N.C. at Ferris. Barry was an Elite 8 team and brings back a fair amount of talent.

Thanks - I was assuming this would be the case but hadn't seen the article posted. I'm glad BU can line up some tough competition for us.

If anybody has the inside scoop on UIndy's tournament (11/21-11/23 or 24?), I'm seeing some odd schedules.
    UIndy shows "Greyhound Classic" 11/21 LSSU and 11/23 Wilberforce
    LSSU shows " GLIAC/GLVC Crossover" 11/21 UIndy and 11/23 USI
    Wilberforce shows only 11/24 UIndy as well as an 11/21 game at Ohio Christian.

I'm not sure what this means for USI's 2nd game, which I assume should be Wilberforce on 11/21, based on LSSU and UIndy's schedules. If it's actually a GLIAC/GLVC crossover, I wonder if Wilberforce is out and another team has been substituted in there but Indy hasn't updated.

20. Default Re: Nonconference schedules 2018-19

Sad that we have to get our non-conference schedule from coming other teams’ schedules.

The secrecy with USI is hilarious. Like they hid the fact that the Presidential search was rigged.

They hide the fact that the former provost pressured faculty members to change grades for a certain group of students.

It’s all smoke and mirrors at USI. Paper said enrollment article coming next week. I’ll bet you enrollment is down again.

What does Andrew Wright do out there anyways? Seems like $140,000 wasted considering enrollment has dropped every year he has been there!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast