Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Derek Redd reports Shepherd is leaving the MEC after next year

Default Re: Derek Redd reports Shepherd is leaving the MEC after next year

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Cost-wise ... yeah, no improvement going from D2 to D3. Helmets and pads cost the same. You could probably make a case some D3's in states like PA actually spend more. PSAC schools give out scholarships based on 'raised' money (donors). That's not costing the school anything. The privates like Gannon can just discount tuition but that's still costing the school money. Many D3 schools draw the same (or better) than D2 schools.

I'm sure one of you will add to this but does the NAIA play by the same rules? Meaning, do NAIA schools have to have the same number of sports for boys and girls (or, the same amount of participants)? If not, then that possibly changes the conversation some.

The other reality is would Bluefield or Salem, etc., really do any better on the D3 level? In D2 they are usually playing the role of non-conference smackdown opponent (for pay).
    NAIA requires schools to sponsor a minimum of 6 sports, I believe it is 3 men's and 3 women's sports. That's four less than D2.

Additionally, NAIA sports have lower scholarship limits. For example, football has a cap of 24 scholarships. Also, NAIA also counts aid differently too: All institutional aid counts as athletic scholarships. The only exemptions are for federal and state aid, external scholarships that the students get on their own, and students that are above certain academic cutoffs are not counted toward the limit.

It seems like it could be really easy for a school to cut down on costs in the NAIA if they really want to.

Exactly. That's why I think they are not jumping to the GMAC. If you're SEC football ... not going to jump at the chance to join the Big East.
    Especially since Big East football no longer exists...
    www.facebook.com/RabsReporter
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Quote Originally Posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
    That's it. Ashland is a private Ohio school. I think they are very happy in the GLIAC and there is no good reason for them to leave. The GMAC needs one more football playing school, two if AB leaves, and waiting on Ashland borders on the ridiculous.
    Its possible that Ashland's standing invite may have more to do with UIndy (Commissioner's alma mater) than it does Ashland itself.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    You asked what might be hindering Ashland from making the jump. I listed their lack of history/bond as a hindrance, not a selling point.
    It was a follow on question. Kind of in response to those who say there is no way Ashland would EVER join the MEC. If Ashland is kicking the tires on leaving the GLIAC but doesn't share any lifelong bonds with the current members of the GMAC, why would they not consider the MEC? MEC is made up of now 50% private schools so it's not like they would be the only private member...the history of the MEC on the national stage is pretty good for a conference that is only six years old...and I would think Ashland would have a pretty good chance of duplicating Shepherds performance in the football playoffs...From a basketball standpoint the MEC is at least comparable to the GLIAC giving Ashland at least six games against highly ranked teams every year.

There is something driving Ashland to not be completely happy with the GLIAC and not to be happy with the current situation in the GMAC. Your assessment as to why this is might be 100% on the money...but then again, maybe not. Maybe the MEC addresses the "issue" that is keeping Ashland from jumping. Either way, it's worth a phone call.

It will be real interesting to see what becomes of the Wheeling Jesuit men's basketball program.

These things come and go but this may linger for several years.

It will be real interesting to see what becomes of the Wheeling Jesuit men's basketball program.

These things come and go but this may linger for several years.
    I'd love to know what the true issue is/was. Was the HC truly fired because of violation(s) in 2011 that just came to light or is that just a convenient excuse for firing him for another reason? Neither side seems willing to even hint at what the 2011 violation(s) were so it's impossible to tell.

To the long term prospects for WJ men's basketball, I think it really depends on who they hire AND weather the program has to endure a major penalty for the 2011 violation(s). Right guy and minor or no penalty and they could continue on with hardly a hick-up.

7. Default Re: Derek Redd reports Shepherd is leaving the MEC after next year

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    I'd love to know what the true issue is/was. Was the HC truly fired because of violation(s) in 2011 that just came to light or is that just a convenient excuse for firing him for another reason? Neither side seems willing to even hint at what the 2011 violation(s) were so it's impossible to tell.

To the long term prospects for WJ men's basketball, I think it really depends on who they hire AND weather the program has to endure a major penalty for the 2011 violation(s). Right guy and minor or no penalty and they could continue on with hardly a hick-up.
    I'd love to know as well, but knowing my alma mater they'll never say what violations occurred.

I'm still surprised that our only self-punishment was to fire Sancomb. We didn't vacate wins or reduce scholarships. This only makes sense if the admin is actually thinking that just Sancomb would be punished for the violations. That said, I can't think of many things that would result in only a coach getting punished.

Alternatively, this could be a pile of bull and our admin is trying to cover-up another questionable decision that was made without thinking. Who knows with us.

If there are violations I just hope they're unrelated to his tenure as athletic director. He was the AD from 2007 to 2013.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011