Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 82

Thread: McBride out at Calu

  1. #1

    Default McBride out at Calu

    After two sub 500 seasons McBride resigns at Calu .

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    19,486
    Rep Power
    70212

    Default Re: McBride out at Calu

    I heard the same thing about 20 minutes ago.

  3. #3

    Default Re: McBride out at Calu

    Wow.

    Off to Wheeling? Fired or resigned?

    Two years isn't enough time to rebuild the mess Brown left.

  4. Default Re: McBride out at Calu

    According to twitter post , looks like he is making it for family reasons. Will be interesting if he coaches this year.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    W.Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,578
    Rep Power
    4743

    Default Re: McBride out at Calu

    This caught me off guard. Don’t know why he wanted to leave, (personal reasons, etc.) but I guess we’ll just hope for better! Don’t want to go backwards, that’s for sure. We’ve been down for so long and we’ve been wishing for a change and I thought we got it in McBride. So...here we go again.

  6. Default Re: McBride out at Calu

    Jim Boone wanted the job 2 years ago , but was shrugged off by the current administration.

    Looks like a bad move now!

  7. #7

    Default Re: McBride out at Calu

    Former Blackhawk (and North Carolina) star Dante Calabria was a finalist if I recall.

    The time of the year obviously sucks but Cal is a good job. It will get a lot of interest.

    Hate to see coaches leave at the end of May. People say recruits sign with the school and not the coach but I think to a large extent that's a load of crap.

    The only player I know he had officially signed was that PG transfer from Wheeling Jesuit (from Woodland Hills).


    Boone would be interesting. He won big there (a long time ago). On one hand I can see why they passed. On the other ... he'd be very unlikely to jump ship again.


    Outside the box name: former Pitt star, IUP assistant and current staffer at Robert Morris ... Tray Woodall.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,466
    Rep Power
    31538

    Default Re: McBride out at Calu

    Quote Originally Posted by CALU_Crazies View Post
    According to twitter post , looks like he is making it for family reasons. Will be interesting if he coaches this year.
    Followed COACH MCBRIDE and his wife on Twitter. She never really made the transition from CONCORD and I can't recall her tweeting anything about CALU. I still feel it was a good choice and believe he could have turned the program around but in all things, family comes first. Hope it's not too much of a setback.
    Just read his tweet and it sounds almost like he's leaving coaching. Main reason he gives is in fact his wife and family. We'll never know but he sounds like this isn't really what he would have preferred doing.
    Last edited by CALUPA69; 05-30-2018 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Additional info

  9. Default Re: McBride out at Calu

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Former Blackhawk (and North Carolina) star Dante Calabria was a finalist if I recall.

    The time of the year obviously sucks but Cal is a good job. It will get a lot of interest.
    Calabria is at IMG, right? Would that be a good move, financially or career-wise, to move from IMG to CALU? My guess is that IMG pays well, and they attract the best talent from around the world with their reputation, and no NCAA oversight (as in, I was dismissed because my paperwork was incorrect from 4 years ago).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,037
    Rep Power
    2237

    Default Re: McBride out at Calu

    former psac'er kurt kanaskie or is he enjoying being a assistant too much?

    Boone is good call...

    And again, what about SRU's favorite, Reynolds?

    What about Sancomb from WJ? Or is he too much of a question mark?

  11. #11

    Default Re: McBride out at Calu

    I thought of Sancomb immediately. Heck Cal to Wheeling is close enough he may not even have to move.


    Lot of retreads being mentioned. Let's toss Gary Edwards, too. Get the old band back together. Lol.

    Maybe if KR can bring Micah Till with him ....
    He'll get some buzz but he didn't apply two years ago.


    The interesting item is can they lure a sitting head coach in June? If not ... then retread alley starts to look much better. Sancomb may be a little too hot right now but, wow, that would be a big 'get' if they could land him.

    They'll get a lot of applicants ... perhaps some D1 assistant-types.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, MD
    Posts
    2,312
    Rep Power
    1742

    Default Re: McBride out at Calu

    Wow. I wonder what his plans are.

    I don't know much about Kent as a student. His brother Kevyn was a star at Alderson Broaddus and was NCAA D2 Academic Player of the Year as a Mathematics major. He had all A's in every class but one....a 88. I know he went on to get his doctorate in mathematical engineering. If Kent has the smarts like his brother, maybe he feels he can make more money in the private sector. He seemed to really enjoy coaching though.

    A little surprised to read here that Cal turned Boone down. I went to his coaching clinics back when he was up there the first time. I know he was a big name up there and did some great things. He does bounce around a lot though.
    Last edited by JDonAB92; 05-31-2018 at 09:33 AM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    19,486
    Rep Power
    70212

    Default Re: McBride out at Calu

    McBride was making just under $95k at Cal. Reynolds is just over $105k at Slippery Rock. It would take even more money for Reynolds to leave and I doubt Cal pays even $105k for their next coach.

  14. #14

    Default Re: McBride out at Calu

    Interesting. Recall SRU is purely a football school. What KR accomplishes there is really amazing. That program is the red-headed stepchild on campus. No support. Little money. No following.

    Of course, Cal used to dump tons in to men's basketball. Not sure that's the case any longer.

    Support-wise ... I've been in the Angelo Dome 4-5 times. Those 4-5 men's games combined didn't draw 800 people. Two of them were basically IUP home games.

    KR went hard after the IUP job when Bravado got hired. He was closer to getting it than many IUP fans want to believe (by that, he was a finalist).

    While KR gets little love at SRU ... He also gets left alone. His theatrics wouldn't fly everywhere nor would his recruiting style. Combine the two and he's a good fit at SRU.

    If I was Cal ... and he just wanted a raise ... I'd find a way to get him $120,000. Even then I'm not sure he'd leave.

    Like him or hate him ... he's a good coach. I often wonder what some of the big name PSAC coaches could do if they had his financial restraints. He finds a way. Year after year.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,037
    Rep Power
    2237

    Default Re: McBride out at Calu

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Interesting. Recall SRU is purely a football school. What KR accomplishes there is really amazing. That program is the red-headed stepchild on campus. No support. Little money. No following.

    Of course, Cal used to dump tons in to men's basketball. Not sure that's the case any longer.

    Support-wise ... I've been in the Angelo Dome 4-5 times. Those 4-5 men's games combined didn't draw 800 people. Two of them were basically IUP home games.

    KR went hard after the IUP job when Bravado got hired. He was closer to getting it than many IUP fans want to believe (by that, he was a finalist).

    While KR gets little love at SRU ... He also gets left alone. His theatrics wouldn't fly everywhere nor would his recruiting style. Combine the two and he's a good fit at SRU.

    If I was Cal ... and he just wanted a raise ... I'd find a way to get him $120,000. Even then I'm not sure he'd leave.

    Like him or hate him ... he's a good coach. I often wonder what some of the big name PSAC coaches could do if they had his financial restraints. He finds a way. Year after year.
    Agree with all of that....right on point.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,466
    Rep Power
    31538

    Default Re: McBride out at Calu

    Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    McBride was making just under $95k at Cal. Reynolds is just over $105k at Slippery Rock. It would take even more money for Reynolds to leave and I doubt Cal pays even $105k for their next coach.
    But It would be truly strange if CALU were able to snag REYNOLDS from SRU. 18 years ago DR ARMENTI persuaded DARCIE VINCENT, who had just finished her best season at the ROCK, to take a leap of faith and see if she could do the same for the VULCAN WBB program. That worked out pretty well.
    Truth is that I can't recall any other instance where any recent administration has hired a coach from another PSAC school. I'm sure I'll be corrected. SANCOMB does seem like the obvious choice.

  17. #17

    Default Re: McBride out at Calu

    The two I remember were Darcie Vincent from SRU to Cal and then when IUP hired THE Lou Tepper away from Edinboro.


    Sancomb would be the jackpot for Cal -- albeit perhaps a bit messy right now. Obviously they'd have to vet him pretty closely. Heck, his players could come with him and not even have to sit out a year.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, MD
    Posts
    2,312
    Rep Power
    1742

    Default Re: McBride out at Calu

    It appears McBride may be moving back home to take over his father's business.

  19. #19

    Default Re: McBride out at Calu

    Looking at the Cal roster (and what the new coach would inherit):

    Jahmere Howze will be a senior this fall. Solid post player ... likely preseason All-PSAC West selection

    I assume Luka Andjusic took a medical redshirt last year and 'could' return for his last season. Not a star but a solid guard.

    Philip Alexander was really the building block of the McBride era. He showed flashes of being a big-time talent last year as a true freshman. Big guard at 6'6".


    Graduation losses (huge percentage of the scoring):
    Robel Teckle
    Cordell Smith
    Terry Davis Jr.
    Isaiah Lewis
    Jay Tucker
    Eric Green (didn't play much)

    Known signings on the way to the Mon Valley:

    * High School post player from Freedom (WPIAL)
    * Wheeling Jesuit transfer PG (from Woodland Hills) -- on film he has a lot of former UPJ PG Dale Clancy in his game (same size, too)

    If the three top returners do indeed stay, the new coach may be able to scrap together the rest of the team this summer with some imports. It could at least make them somewhat competitive in 2018-19. Scary part for Cal is Howze and Alexander would be 'big time' free agents if they decide to transfer while this search is in process. As we know, PSAC coaching searches aren't fast. Also recall how long it took to hire McBride and the circus that surrounded it.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    13,193
    Rep Power
    319142

    Default Re: McBride out at Calu

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    The two I remember were Darcie Vincent from SRU to Cal and then when IUP hired THE Lou Tepper away from Edinboro.


    Sancomb would be the jackpot for Cal -- albeit perhaps a bit messy right now. Obviously they'd have to vet him pretty closely. Heck, his players could come with him and not even have to sit out a year.
    Guess it would depend on what the violation(s) actually are. As for the WJ players coming with him...that would be funny considering how a number of them have posted about how they are going to "finish strong" at WJ in his honor!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •