Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 137

Thread: Calu wbb '18-'19

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    W.Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,578
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    4743

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Cal women sure had their hands full with a very impressive Bloom team. Cal couldn’t put them away...The Huskies would always answer back. They were a well-coached team. I was surprised to see the Rock beat them today.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,465
    Rep Power
    31538

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Got some depressing news from a good source about @CalUofPAWBB. Apparently LILLY RITZ has given in to freshman blues and transferred to WJU partly to be closer to her BF. Big loss as she was the tallest player on a team that, as has been discussed, lacks inside defense. Checked on website and she has been deleted. Really not surprised with the size of the incoming class.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    W.Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,578
    Rep Power
    4743

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    [QUOTE=CALUPA69;2336746]Got some depressing news from a good source about @CalUofPAWBB. Apparently LILLY RITZ has given in to freshman blues and transferred to WJU partly to be closer to her BF. Big loss as she was the tallest player on a team that, as has been discussed, lacks inside defense. Checked on website and she has been deleted. Really not surprised with the size of the incoming class.[/QUOTE

    Thats the way it is, I guess.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,465
    Rep Power
    31538

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    W vs SRU at home. Not much else to say. 4 players in double figures led by VALLECORSA with 22. Took 14 more shots and got THE ROCK in major foul trouble with PATTERSON fouling out and 3 other starters with 4 each leading to a 16 pt differential at the line. That was the game.On to LHU on Saturday.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    W.Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,578
    Rep Power
    4743

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    W vs SRU at home. Not much else to say. 4 players in double figures led by VALLECORSA with 22. Took 14 more shots and got THE ROCK in major foul trouble with PATTERSON fouling out and 3 other starters with 4 each leading to a 16 pt differential at the line. That was the game.On to LHU on Saturday.
    Good gawd...what’s with shooting (and missing) so many 3-pointers? Yeesh!
    Also, I can’t believe they allowed SRU’s Hinderliter to drive the basket the entire game. She single-handidly took it to us.
    That can’t happen on their floor.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,465
    Rep Power
    31538

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Quote Originally Posted by Feedoggie View Post
    Good gawd...what’s with shooting (and missing) so many 3-pointers? Yeesh!
    Also, I can’t believe they allowed SRU’s Hinderliter to drive the basket the entire game. She single-handidly took it to us.
    That can’t happen on their floor.
    Just around T'GIVING we discussed the weakness in pressuring the opponent's guards which, if you've heard JESS STROM speak, is the core of her defensive approach. It hasn't improved since then and the competition is much better. There may be incremental improvements but I wouldn't expect the shutdown D we've grown used to seeing. This may be the lull before Coach is able to get that exact mix of players. Similar to 12-13 and 13-14 were less than stellar years before 14-15. Still it looks possible that the VULCANS could be 15-1 before heading to IUP in 12 days so we really can't complain. Most programs can't dream of that record much less whine about less than stellar games. I think CALU WBB fans are definitely spoiled.
    Win at LHU was routine and ups the record to 13-1. Looking at PSAC WBB standings it stunning to notice that 13 of 17 teams in the league have overall records that are basically .500 or less. Only IUP, CALU, BORO and SHU have double digit wins halfway through the season. Haven't been following the other conferences in the region but I'm guessing only 2-3 PSAC teams seem likely to get to the regionals.1/19 BORO@IUP and 1/23 CALU@IUP should begin to sort things out.
    Last edited by CALUPA69; 01-13-2019 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Additional info

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    W.Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,578
    Rep Power
    4743

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Great effort ladies!
    Last edited by Feedoggie; 01-23-2019 at 06:48 PM.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,465
    Rep Power
    31538

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Have to admit I was totally surprised by the result at IUP. Though the record is good this VULCAN WBB team doesn't seem as smooth and organized as those beginning in 14-15. So I decided to check and see how they compared to the NC team. Bad comparison right. Very young team compared to totally veteran team. One star quality player versus 3-4 in that year. Well, I couldn't have been more wrong. This year 16-1 vs 14-3 after 17 games. Virtually identical scoring(73.6/73.3)and rebounds(36.2/37.7) per game. More steals(13.6/11.9) per game but also more TO(14.8/13.7). FG% up(.430/.414), FT%even(.721/.729), 3PT% down(.290/.303). Probably the biggest difference,as noted, is the diversity of legitimate scoring options. 18-19 has basically only BARRETT and VALLECORSA. 14-15 had GLENN, MAHADY, FRATZ, and KUKOLJ.
    I have no idea if any of this means a thing except perhaps how good JESS STROM is at molding players into her system. That is amazing to watch year after year.

  9. #69

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Have to admit I was totally surprised by the result at IUP. Though the record is good this VULCAN WBB team doesn't seem as smooth and organized as those beginning in 14-15. So I decided to check and see how they compared to the NC team. Bad comparison right. Very young team compared to totally veteran team. One star quality player versus 3-4 in that year. Well, I couldn't have been more wrong. This year 16-1 vs 14-3 after 17 games. Virtually identical scoring(73.6/73.3)and rebounds(36.2/37.7) per game. More steals(13.6/11.9) per game but also more TO(14.8/13.7). FG% up(.430/.414), FT%even(.721/.729), 3PT% down(.290/.303). Probably the biggest difference,as noted, is the diversity of legitimate scoring options. 18-19 has basically only BARRETT and VALLECORSA. 14-15 had GLENN, MAHADY, FRATZ, and KUKOLJ.
    I have no idea if any of this means a thing except perhaps how good JESS STROM is at molding players into her system. That is amazing to watch year after year.

    The extent I usually watch of the women's game is maybe the last 5 minutes but I did watch this IUP/Cal game in its entirety. Beyond that I'm kind of a boxscore reader.

    As Strom told the Indiana Gazette, their goal was to make IUP uncomfortable. They did that and then some. IUP is a finesse team and a three-point shooting team. How do you combat that? Physicality and pressing the defense out 5' to 6' beyond the arc.

    IUP 'officially' had 21 turnovers although that was likely the result of a hometown scorekeeper. Most I spoke to after the game pegged the actual amount north of 30. That included a staggering amount of self-inflicted turnovers.

    Amazingly, the rebounding was close to even. But, Cal got every one that mattered it seemed. They really attacked the glass and IUP's post players were a little soft on the boards.

    Cal is also the only team that actually lines up and attacks Carolyn Appleby rather than just trying to slow her down. It worked. She got rattled and in early foul trouble. Cal was a lot more 'hungry' in this first meeting.

    Round 1 to the Vulcans. Likely 3 more to go. Just a guess, but they'll all come down to the final minute.

  10. #70

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    IUP 'officially' had 21 turnovers although that was likely the result of a hometown scorekeeper. Most I spoke to after the game pegged the actual amount north of 30. That included a staggering amount of self-inflicted turnovers.
    With the play-by-play style of stats, it's hard for the official scorekeeper to influence the amount of turnovers since every possession has to "end" on either a made FG, missed shot / defensive rebound, FT attempt, or turnover.

    I glanced at the stat sheet and figured that IUP had 67 offensive possessions, which is a rather slow-paced game. 21 turnovers in 67 possessions is a ton -- over 30% of the possessions. This is why the number of turnovers probably "felt" like more than the actual total.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ft Worth, TX
    Posts
    796
    Rep Power
    7313

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    [QUOTE=Golden89;2344982]With the play-by-play style of stats, it's hard for the official scorekeeper to influence the amount of turnovers since every possession has to "end" on either a made FG, missed shot / defensive rebound, FT attempt, or turnover.


    I'm probably wrong here but I thought a turnover is comprised of things like a wayward pass (either going OB or being intercepted by the opp team) ball being stolen etc. Basically loosing control of the ball through a player's error and not by a missed FG attempt.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,465
    Rep Power
    31538

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Another game, another tight W. 62-56 over 5-7 MC. It was the BARRETT and VALLECORSA show with a number of other players filling in. 41of 62 PTS, 17 of 31 RBS and 8 of 16 STEALS. It is beginning to look like this large freshman class may be less than we'd hoped for. Next up CLARION before the 2nd half of the Western schedule. Can anyone else step up ?

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denton County, TX
    Posts
    10,914
    Rep Power
    172233

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    The extent I usually watch of the women's game is maybe the last 5 minutes but I did watch this IUP/Cal game in its entirety. Beyond that I'm kind of a boxscore reader.

    As Strom told the Indiana Gazette, their goal was to make IUP uncomfortable. They did that and then some. IUP is a finesse team and a three-point shooting team. How do you combat that? Physicality and pressing the defense out 5' to 6' beyond the arc.

    IUP 'officially' had 21 turnovers although that was likely the result of a hometown scorekeeper. Most I spoke to after the game pegged the actual amount north of 30. That included a staggering amount of self-inflicted turnovers.

    Amazingly, the rebounding was close to even. But, Cal got every one that mattered it seemed. They really attacked the glass and IUP's post players were a little soft on the boards.

    Cal is also the only team that actually lines up and attacks Carolyn Appleby rather than just trying to slow her down. It worked. She got rattled and in early foul trouble. Cal was a lot more 'hungry' in this first meeting.

    Round 1 to the Vulcans. Likely 3 more to go. Just a guess, but they'll all come down to the final minute.
    I still recall the last Cal WBB game I called for CUTV, which was the overtime thriller at the Angelo Dome during the 2014-2015 title run. For whatever reason, at least since Tom McConnell became head coach at IUP, Cal's been a PITA to IUP more often than not, but that game sticks out because a missed foul shot in the final seconds of regulation basically was a catalyst in Cal's win that year.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

  14. #74

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    I still recall the last Cal WBB game I called for CUTV, which was the overtime thriller at the Angelo Dome during the 2014-2015 title run. For whatever reason, at least since Tom McConnell became head coach at IUP, Cal's been a PITA to IUP more often than not, but that game sticks out because a missed foul shot in the final seconds of regulation basically was a catalyst in Cal's win that year.
    I beleive Tom is 4-10 versus Cal.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,465
    Rep Power
    31538

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    He's actually doing better recently 2-2 versus 2-8 in first ten games against JS. As was said the VULCANS defensive emphasis wins a lot of games when offense oriented teams like IUP run into truly organized resistance only once or twice a year.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,465
    Rep Power
    31538

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    JESS STROM sort of game against an overmatched CLARION team. VULCANS turned over the GE 25 times, including 18 steals, leading to 41 pts. Everyone played (4 freshmen totaled 55 minutes) and nearly everyone scored. Good game to rest and prepare for SRU and BORO. Those two are critical in the run up to the league and regional tournaments.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,465
    Rep Power
    31538

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Well hosting is out of the question. This was the first 1 pt loss since Jan '16 vs ESU. Hard to say it but I don't see how they've won 18 games. If SEAIRRA BARRETT doesn't get her 20+ the chances of winning are not good. Look for them to be a dangerous opponent in the PSAC and probably in the REGIONALS, but likely won't get past the 2nd round. A lot of talented players are simply not getting it done especially on offense.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,465
    Rep Power
    31538

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Curious event today... an apparently really talented young women committed to @CalUofPAWBB. 6'1" G/F KENDRA MCPEEK of Binghamton( NY) HS and Montverde Academy of Florida tweeted her decision and was followed by a tweet on the VULCANS page with a picture of KM standing with Coaches STROM and TETZLAW. Not unusual except it's happening at a not great time for the team and is bound to have some players looking over their shoulder. Not unusual except that she apparently is 6'1" G which is common in D1 but pretty rare in D2. Not unusual except several scouting reports view her as a good D1 prospect and she still had a good deal of time to wait to decide. Don't get me wrong, I'll be excited if she's here in the fall, but I can't shake the feeling that there's more to this than meets the eye.
    http://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=C...ypeahead_click

  19. #79
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lalaland
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    21956

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Curious event today... an apparently really talented young women committed to @CalUofPAWBB. 6'1" G/F KENDRA MCPEEK of Binghamton( NY) HS and Montverde Academy of Florida tweeted her decision and was followed by a tweet on the VULCANS page with a picture of KM standing with Coaches STROM and TETZLAW. Not unusual except it's happening at a not great time for the team and is bound to have some players looking over their shoulder. Not unusual except that she apparently is 6'1" G which is common in D1 but pretty rare in D2. Not unusual except several scouting reports view her as a good D1 prospect and she still had a good deal of time to wait to decide. Don't get me wrong, I'll be excited if she's here in the fall, but I can't shake the feeling that there's more to this than meets the eye.
    http://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=C...ypeahead_click
    Looks like the player's post was on Jan 28. Not sure when a player posts can be controlled.

    If the commitment came in the fall, would the same players be looking over their shoulder? Doesn't the team/coach have to restock players at all positions?

    UPJ has four six-footers on their squad.

  20. #80

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Schools don't tweet verbals. That means she's signed.

    It's the coaches job to constantly sign the best available player. If that hurts feelings ... so be it.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •