Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: Calu wbb '18-'19

  1. #21

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Her father is assistant director of admissions and she holds the D2 record for consecutive FT made at 95. She's a slightly above average 3pt in the .360-.370 range. For comparison, MIKI GLENN ,whom I never considered a prime 3pt threat, had a 4year average of .342 and did a few other things along the way. I'd never bring someone in for their 3pt shooting unless they were career .400 +. Those players are not playmakers and are frequently defensive liabilities. If this comes to pass it feels more like a favor for her Dad since he had to watch her make the bone-headed move from IUP so at least with the VULCANS she'll play on a winning team. Does she also get free tuition ? If so, no scholly to split. Really not a significant move.
    Actually, just being accurate, Burns made 118 straight free throws...her percentage was down a bit last year as she was forced to take more shots from long-range and the WJ team had to rely upon her and the point guard to take more shots than they should have needed to take like the previous year.

    She wasn't looking to play this next year so something changed to get her interested as she graduated vowing to not play again...she is a 'gym rat' type of hard worker though.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Indiana, Pa.
    Posts
    6,682
    Rep Power
    78065

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Year of free grad school in exchange for playing basketball isn't a bad deal.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,177
    Rep Power
    30352

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Quote Originally Posted by pennbraz View Post
    Actually, just being accurate, Burns made 118 straight free throws...her percentage was down a bit last year as she was forced to take more shots from long-range and the WJ team had to rely upon her and the point guard to take more shots than they should have needed to take like the previous year.

    She wasn't looking to play this next year so something changed to get her interested as she graduated vowing to not play again...she is a 'gym rat' type of hard worker though.
    95 was from 16-17 NCAA record book. Guess she added 23 in 17-18. Career 3pt @ WJU 217-580 for.374 in 2 years. Nice for a .500 team but that isn't enough to make up for TO and minimal steals. COACH STROM was not happy with how '17- '18 ended and looks to be making wholesale changes to her line-up. I could be wrong but I don't see a spot for MB.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,177
    Rep Power
    30352

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Just a short view of one of VULCAN WBB recruits that it would seem COACH STROM may be expecting to contribute in 18-19.

    http://mobile.twitter.com/ShesGotNex...357504/video/1

    SHAUNA HARRISON and the GBU20 women's team is finishing up European U20 championship play. The team is made up of several D1 and D2 players and others who I think have a wish to play in the States. They didn't have a great tourney and will finish at or about .500. The defense looked solid but the offense seemed confused and disjointed.
    Good news for CAL U fans SH finished as the #5/6 player based on an average around 30 minutes per game. Her defense was always solid even against a few larger players. Her offense didn't seem to get going until this game vs Denmark. She looks to be a catch and shoot player rather than a create her own shot like EMMA MAHADY could do several years ago. Though close to 6', I doubt you'll see her taking it inside that much.
    Interesting sidelight is one of her teammates, IRE OZZY MOMODU, will likely be flying into PIT with SH, to begin her 2nd year at RMU.
    Update on SH. She's off to AUSTRIA in August to play in the FIBAU18 EUROPEAN championships. She played for this team last year but when she was named to the U20 team I thought she had aged out. Apparently she is eligible for both teams which really says a lot for her game at a relatively young age. I don't know what else she has going on, but when she gets on the court at the ANGELO DOME in the fall, it will be the 4th country she's competed in this year !! That is a lot of ballin' !
    Last edited by CALUPA69; 07-21-2018 at 07:15 AM.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    W.Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,483
    Rep Power
    4641

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Just a short view of one of VULCAN WBB recruits that it would seem COACH STROM may be expecting to contribute in 18-19.

    http://mobile.twitter.com/ShesGotNex...357504/video/1

    SHAUNA HARRISON and the GBU20 women's team is finishing up European U20 championship play. The team is made up of several D1 and D2 players and others who I think have a wish to play in the States. They didn't have a great tourney and will finish at or about .500. The defense looked solid but the offense seemed confused and disjointed.
    Good news for CAL U fans SH finished as the #5/6 player based on an average around 30 minutes per game. Her defense was always solid even against a few larger players. Her offense didn't seem to get going until this game vs Denmark. She looks to be a catch and shoot player rather than a create her own shot like EMMA MAHADY could do several years ago. Though close to 6', I doubt you'll see her taking it inside that much.
    Interesting sidelight is one of her teammates, IRE OZZY MOMODU, will likely be flying into PIT with SH, to begin her 2nd year at RMU.
    Update on SH. She's off to AUSTRIA in August to play in the FIBAU18 EUROPEAN championships. She played for this team last year but when she was named to the U20 team I thought she had aged out. Apparently she is eligible for both teams which really says a lot for her game at a relatively young age. I don't know what else she has going on, but when she gets on the court at the ANGELO DOME in the fall, it will be the 4th country she's competed in this year !! That is a lot of ballin' !
    I’ll say it is. I just hope she arrives here in good health! (No injuries)

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    975
    Rep Power
    2231

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    95 was from 16-17 NCAA record book. Guess she added 23 in 17-18. Career 3pt @ WJU 217-580 for.374 in 2 years. Nice for a .500 team but that isn't enough to make up for TO and minimal steals. COACH STROM was not happy with how '17- '18 ended and looks to be making wholesale changes to her line-up. I could be wrong but I don't see a spot for MB.
    I"ll go on the record that Mo Burns is a great add...and contributes mightily....
    Good shooters / playmakers are hard to find...esp on womens' side

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    W.Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,483
    Rep Power
    4641

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Well, with the CalU Men’s team in the process of re-inventing itself, we’re anxiously awaiting Coach Strom and what she will surprise us with the Women’s team. Having a fully stocked squad that’s about bursting at the seams is exciting. However, my one concern is whether standout Seairra Barrett will be back. Anyone know?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,177
    Rep Power
    30352

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Quote Originally Posted by Feedoggie View Post
    Well, with the CalU Men’s team in the process of re-inventing itself, we’re anxiously awaiting Coach Strom and what she will surprise us with the Women’s team. Having a fully stocked squad that’s about bursting at the seams is exciting. However, my one concern is whether standout Seairra Barrett will be back. Anyone know?
    My sense is that SEAIRRA, having graduated, may not be back. Trying to get up to date info.
    The huge number of potential players has me very confused. JESS STROM has always seemed very loyal to her players and reticent to cut anyone, but since she has never varied from 12-14 players and having posted 7 newbies on @CalUofPAWBB to go with around 10 returnees, it looks like several someones are out.
    Once again if you're interested in seeing one of those newbies in action, SHAUNA HARRISON, CALU'S latest English import, will be a featured player on GREAT BRITAIN'S FIBA U18 team playing in ROMANIA on Friday 8/3 vs Austria. Games will be streamed on YouTube.com/FIBA. She is still a work in progress and a bit of a quirky player but she reminds me of a EMMA MAHADY/ IRINA KUKOLJ hybrid who can go off for 15-25 points from time to time.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    W.Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,483
    Rep Power
    4641

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    My sense is that SEAIRRA, having graduated, may not be back. Trying to get up to date info.
    The huge number of potential players has me very confused. JESS STROM has always seemed very loyal to her players and reticent to cut anyone, but since she has never varied from 12-14 players and having posted 7 newbies on @CalUofPAWBB to go with around 10 returnees, it looks like several someones are out.
    Once again if you're interested in seeing one of those newbies in action, SHAUNA HARRISON, CALU'S latest English import, will be a featured player on GREAT BRITAIN'S FIBA U18 team playing in ROMANIA on Friday 8/3 vs Austria. Games will be streamed on YouTube.com/FIBA. She is still a work in progress and a bit of a quirky player but she reminds me of a EMMA MAHADY/ IRINA KUKOLJ hybrid who can go off for 15-25 points from time to time.
    I’ve seen some Shawna Harrison’s highlights on YouTube. Thanks for the heads-up on her game tomorrow. This will be a game situation rather than just highlights, which is good. The trouble with watching highlights is.....they all look good!
    Last edited by Feedoggie; 08-02-2018 at 06:26 PM.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,177
    Rep Power
    30352

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Quote Originally Posted by Feedoggie View Post
    I’ve seen some Shawna Harrison’s highlights on YouTube. Thanks for the heads-up on her game tomorrow. This will be a game situation rather than just highlights, which is good. The trouble with watching highlights is.....they all look good!
    Nice game by SH. I'!l take 17Pts and 13 Rbs anytime. She still seems too deferential to other players, always willing to set picks, defend and dive for a loose ball, but never demanding the ball when she's in the open. It will be interesting to see how JESS STROM uses her.
    Last edited by CALUPA69; 08-04-2018 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Spelling

  11. #31
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,177
    Rep Power
    30352

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    SHATARA PARSONS is a glucklicher deutscher basketballspieler...
    http://mobile.twitter.com/passports/...85425967144961

  12. Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    SHATARA PARSONS is a glucklicher deutscher basketballspieler...
    http://mobile.twitter.com/passports/...85425967144961
    What exactly is a gluck licker? Is that legal?

    -

  13. #33
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,177
    Rep Power
    30352

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    What exactly is a gluck licker? Is that legal?

    -
    HAPPY !! Joins VULCAN great BROOQUE WILLIAMS, who just signed with SESTO SAN GIOVANNI in Milan, as former players living the life in Europe. Can't put out the fire !!

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    California, Pa
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Why do you not think seairra barrett won’t be back? She has stated on Facebook numerous times she will be back and since she’s in Calu grad school I don’t see why she wouldn’t. My reasoning for the high number of recruits might be injuries. Remember that at the end of last year/this summer Gina vallecorsa, mia cushon, b jasper, & Abbey sporio were all hurt. Jasper had surgery in the off season and sporio has always had knee problems. Maybe coach strom is playing it safe so she isn’t down to 2 bench players again at the end of the year and who knows whether everyone will be healthy at the start of the year. Emily suckling won’t be back & wouldnt be shocked if Natalia Casals and bebe George doesn’t come back either. Probably looking at around 13-15 players at start of season. Some freshman will leave because a 7+ class never works for anyone.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,177
    Rep Power
    30352

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Quote Originally Posted by rt.calu View Post
    Why do you not think seairra barrett won’t be back? She has stated on Facebook numerous times she will be back and since she’s in Calu grad school I don’t see why she wouldn’t. My reasoning for the high number of recruits might be injuries. Remember that at the end of last year/this summer Gina vallecorsa, mia cushon, b jasper, & Abbey sporio were all hurt. Jasper had surgery in the off season and sporio has always had knee problems. Maybe coach strom is playing it safe so she isn’t down to 2 bench players again at the end of the year and who knows whether everyone will be healthy at the start of the year. Emily suckling won’t be back & wouldnt be shocked if Natalia Casals and bebe George doesn’t come back either. Probably looking at around 13-15 players at start of season. Some freshman will leave because a 7+ class never works for anyone.
    Thrilled to have SB back, but my sense from some tweets was no. I'd be very happy to be wrong. As you indicate there will be a lot of turnover. Jasper's first post op evaluation wasn't positive, so she'll be going back soon. I'll assume SPORIO and CUSHON are ready to go along with Barrett and DJ Hahn plus whoever steps up to fill the 5-8 spots. Coach Strom will be challenged.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    W.Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,483
    Rep Power
    4641

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    CalU Women’s ‘18-‘19 Lineup is UP!
    JASPER, FLOOD-FRANCIS, SPORIO, BARRETT, SUCKLING
    HAHN, JEFFERIES. (Returnees only up)

  17. #37
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,177
    Rep Power
    30352

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Quote Originally Posted by Feedoggie View Post
    CalU Women’s ‘18-‘19 Lineup is UP!
    JASPER, FLOOD-FRANCIS, SPORIO, BARRETT, SUCKLING
    HAHN, JEFFERIES. (Returnees only up)
    Something changed in the overnight. VALLECORSA and GEORGE were added. So 9 returnees plus 7-9 newbies (announced and not) brings the total to 16-18. Still too many but more manageable.
    Side note...VALLECORSA tweeted yesterday that CASALS was coming back though apparently not to play ball.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    W.Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,483
    Rep Power
    4641

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Something changed in the overnight. VALLECORSA and GEORGE were added. So 9 returnees plus 7-9 newbies (announced and not) brings the total to 16-18. Still too many but more manageable.
    Side note...VALLECORSA tweeted yesterday that CASALS was coming back though apparently not to play ball.
    No, not really. It was late when I wrote it last night. Vallecorsa and George were on the roster too....I just overlooked their names! My blunder. It was a relief to see Barrett on the roster!

  19. #39
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,177
    Rep Power
    30352

    Default Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

    Quote Originally Posted by Feedoggie View Post
    No, not really. It was late when I wrote it last night. Vallecorsa and George were on the roster too....I just overlooked their names! My blunder. It was a relief to see Barrett on the roster!
    Certainly a big relief as she comes to the top, as SHATARA did last year, with a mixed bag of help. SPORIO is solid at PG but not MIKI. HAHN is strong defender, but not LANA. The other 6 have yet to define themselves. Which leaves the team with 6 declared, on @CalUofPAWBB and another who claims to be joining the team but hasn't been announced on the Twitter page.
    One that was announced on the team's page but now is gone is 6'1" LILY RITZ of Cambridge Ohio. She looked like really solid choice but may have had second thoughts. As with most of these changes, the update is never given the play of the original commitment so time will tell.
    Also not sure what it means, if anything, but KELLY SABO, the eternal volunteer coach, is not listed on the roster or the coaches page. I've always liked the three coaches working as a team but that happy circumstance seems to have come to an end.
    Last edited by CALUPA69; 08-10-2018 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Additional info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •