Thread: Stan Swank

Contribute to D2

Default Re: Stan Swank

That's a big downer !!! Great coach and strange looking dude with a sort of JOHNNY CASH as BB guru look. Teams were almost always prepared to do battle. Managed to be one game over an even split with JESS STROM 10-9. Any guesses about a successor?

His top assistant would be a logical candidate ... former star player at the Boro and has been on staff for a while now. She's also probably pretty immune by now to the circus inside the athletic department up there.

I know nothing other than hearing the rumor of his impending retirement several weeks ago but I agree that Callie Wheeler is the logical choice. She filled in temporarily when he was out on leave this season.

Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    That's a big downer !!! Great coach and strange looking dude with a sort of JOHNNY CASH as BB guru look. Teams were almost always prepared to do battle. Managed to be one game over an even split with JESS STROM 10-9. Any guesses about a successor?
    I love the Johnny Cash comparison. The black jacket and the slicked back hair were his trademarks. He'll always be remembered at the Hammermill as the coach of the team that screwed up our 2014 Elite Eight hosting season. Gannon went 28-4, all four losses coming to Swank's Fighting Scots.

That said, hope he has a great retirement. What a career at Edinboro, highlighted by two Elite Eight appearances.

6. Default Re: Stan Swank

Happy Retirement to Stanley! Great coach and a great guy who did one heck of a job up there all these years. I'd like to thank him for all that he did to make PSAC WBB a truly great sport.

You are a good man, Stanley Swank. Journey Well!

-

Hey coach, gave you a well wish at many a GU/EU WBB games. Always respected you and always had to be wary of your
    fabulous teams. You always got more out of them than most thought possible.
    Best of years ahead.

Edinboro's interim AD is on a hiring flurry: new tennis coach, new wrestling coach, and the rumor is some sort of announcement is coming about women's basketball.

Did Stan have a class signed prior to his announcement? It's getting awfully late.

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Edinboro's interim AD is on a hiring flurry: new tennis coach, new wrestling coach, and the rumor is some sort of announcement is coming about women's basketball.
    Didn't realise that EU athletics were at such a crossroads. Sounds like COACH SWANK, smart man that he is, may have seen the writing on the wall and decided it was a good a time as any to call it quits. If the SCOTS WBB needs some decent, experienced transfers, they could do worse than looking around the Mon Valley. With an unusually large class coming in the fall, the VULCANS will either have a wildly long bench or some players will be/already have moved on.

Didn't realise that EU athletics were at such a crossroads. Sounds like COACH SWANK, smart man that he is, may have seen the writing on the wall and decided it was a good a time as any to call it quits. If the SCOTS WBB needs some decent, experienced transfers, they could do worse than looking around the Mon Valley. With an unusually large class coming in the fall, the VULCANS will either have a wildly long bench or some players will be/already have moved on.
    Not a crossroads. Edinboro usually doesn't have a lot of turnover. Just a lot coming at once. I won't speak for Coach Swank but I imagine "when that day comes" came quicker once his father passed away this season and his grown kids have less opportunity to come home. It also makes it easier when there seems to be an heir apparent.

Not a crossroads. Edinboro usually doesn't have a lot of turnover. Just a lot coming at once. I won't speak for Coach Swank but I imagine "when that day comes" came quicker once his father passed away this season and his grown kids have less opportunity to come home. It also makes it easier when there seems to be an heir apparent.
    And the rumored heir apparent is.....??????

And the rumored heir apparent is.....??????
    My guess is current assistant Callie Wheeler. She covered for Swank this season then he endorsed her in an interview after he announced his retirement.

My guess is current assistant Callie Wheeler. She covered for Swank this season then he endorsed her in an interview after he announced his retirement.

No-brainer in my opinion.

I think Kelly Mazzante would be a swell choice.
    Last edited by Feedoggie; 05-21-2018 at 01:49 PM.

She's definitely ready for a head coaching job ... just not sure she wants one.

17. Default Re: Stan Swank

PSAC WBB hoops fans probably recall her better as Callie Iorfido during her playing days for the Lady Scots. She has been on staff with Stanley since the Fall of 2007.

-

Edinboro makes it official: Callie (Iofiordo) Wheeler is the new head coach. She has been the assistant since 2007 and played for Swank from 2002-06 with tons of honors.

19. Default Re: Stan Swank

Edinboro makes it official: Callie (Iofiordo) Wheeler is the new head coach. She has been the assistant since 2007 and played for Swank from 2002-06 with tons of honors.
    I call that a very good and smart hire by the Boro! Congrats to Coach Wheeler!

-

Certainly some big shoes to fill. Best of luck to her except of course.....