Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sancomb Out At Wheeling Jesuit

Contribute to D2

Default Sancomb Out At Wheeling Jesuit

Not much information right now, but Sancomb is out at WJU.

Default Re: Sancomb Out At Wheeling Jesuit

Pretty big deal there.

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    Pretty big deal there.
    Yup.

Nothing confirmed yet, but it seems he was fired (which makes it even more shocking) and *maybe* had something to do with Sancomb's salary.

Quote Originally Posted by ssidiver View Post
    Yup.

Nothing confirmed yet, but it seems he was fired (which makes it even more shocking) and *maybe* had something to do with Sancomb's salary.
    If fired, that is troubling. These days it seems like folks rarely get fired except for serious transgressions. Wasn’t he in running for YSU job that went to Calhoun?Thought his teams were very well coached. Coincidentally Jeremiah Wilson is leaving WJ who was a very strong player.
    Last edited by Columbuseer; 05-07-2018 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Factual error

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by ssidiver View Post
    Yup.

What does this mean?

Teams will have a bidding war for Preston Boswell if he leaves.

8. Default Re: Sancomb Out At Wheeling Jesuit

isn't Indiana High All-Stater Carlos Carter slated to go to WJU? If so, I wonder if this throws a crimp in those plans?

-

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    isn't Indiana High All-Stater Carlos Carter slated to go to WJU? If so, I wonder if this throws a crimp in those plans?

-
    Correct. I suspect he bails. He had offers out the you know what.

Jesuit fans, former players, and alums are pissed on twitter

Why is the school putting out a statement that they will honor all player scholarships after firing the coach?

Didn't their women's coach just leave?

Quote Originally Posted by JDonAB92 View Post
    Why is the school putting out a statement that they will honor all player scholarships after firing the coach?

Didn't their women's coach just leave?

Scholarships are one-year deals. I read that to mean for perhaps all the incoming players signed to LOI's.

By all reports this was a tremendously unpopular move by WJ. They are going to see a mass exodus out of the program -- likely starting today.

I would assume Cal's Kent McBride takes a heavy interest in this job. He hasn't done too well at Cal but had success in the MEC.

Two Questions: Would Kevin Reynolds be interested?

Would WJ entertain Reynolds?

This move defies logic...Sancomb fired is More surprising than Crutch leaving WL.... Getting Fired as a STUD coach? Something is fishy...

Hard to believe it was a money motivated move, after WJ has committed to having football--presumable WJ understands the expenses that it takes to have quality programs? And what would you save by hiring a lesser experienced coach, $30K?

Just odd, odd fire here..

I read he's already lawyered up. There's definitely a big part of this not made public yet. This is really late in the year to do this, too.

I don't know. It's going to be an interesting job now. Candidates might say ... if they fired that guy after just winning the MEC and having one of the top programs in the region ...

I couldn't see Reynolds applying. I was shocked he didn't apply for the Cal job two years ago. Slippery Rock is a good fit for him. His antics wouldn't fly everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post

This move defies logic...Sancomb fired is More surprising than Crutch leaving WL.... Getting Fired as a STUD coach? Something is fishy...

Hard to believe it was a money motivated move, after WJ has committed to having football--presumable WJ understands the expenses that it takes to have quality programs? And what would you save by hiring a lesser experienced coach, $30K?

Putting Reynolds in there to replace Sancomb is like Duke firing K and replacing him with Bruce Pearl. Danny ran a solid program on and off the court. It is well known that he graduated players on time for those that stayed. I don't know if JUCO U really fits Wheeling Jesuit too well.

If he was terminated because of salary issues, then that has to deter a lot of coaches. I wouldn't really want to go in there and follow Sancomb. Their women's coach just left as well for another D2 job that has had less than stellar results over the years. There are rumors out there that they asked coaches to take pay cuts due to the cost of starting up football.

Quote Originally Posted by JDonAB92 View Post
    Putting Reynolds in there to replace Sancomb is like Duke firing K and replacing him with Bruce Pearl. Danny ran a solid program on and off the court. It is well known that he graduated players on time for those that stayed. I don't know if JUCO U really fits Wheeling Jesuit too well.

If he was terminated because of salary issues, then that has to deter a lot of coaches. I wouldn't really want to go in there and follow Sancomb. Their women's coach just left as well for another D2 job that has had less than stellar results over the years. There are rumors out there that they asked coaches to take pay cuts due to the cost of starting up football.
    Not knowing the situation inside / out, that seems plausible.....

Quote Originally Posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post

Hey...There is a MEC program that is considering leaving to save travel $'s that will probably be considerably less than that so anything is possible! That said, if he has in fact "lawyered-up," that speaks to an alleged contract violation on his part vice a cost saving move by the school.

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    Hey...There is a MEC program that is considering leaving to save travel $'s that will probably be considerably less than that so anything is possible! That said, if he has in fact "lawyered-up," that speaks to an alleged contract violation on his part vice a cost saving move by the school.
    Yep. UVA wise has officially announced it is leaving the mec after the upcoming season.
    I know the mec rules about football but for a school like wju to take on this burden which is a huge money loser for d2 schools and most d1 schools was difficult to defend after the diocese bailing them out from financial collapse. Imho, alternatively they could have gone to another conference or dropped to d3. Asking basketball coaches to take A pay cut, if true, raises competency issues regarding the administration.

You don't fire the head coach of your best program -- who, by most accounts, is a great person/coach and has an impeccable reputation -- for refusing to take a pay cut. He should be getting a raise for the job he's done there -- not to mention just winning the MEC.

If you actually do ... then you might as well drop athletics. That would be beyond a slap in the face to alumni, fans and boosters.

Interesting also that the AD and SID are forwarding comment requests to HR. Common in business but not so much in athletics.

Something doesn't add up here, boys and girls. Two sides to every story. Hopefully the Wheeling media is all over this and gets some news.

Have to wonder how many coaches have already contacted Boswell and Pegram -- off the record, of course.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast