Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: 2018 NSIC Basbeall

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    16,836
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    728933

    Default 2018 NSIC Basbeall

    Final NSIC regular season standings

    1. Minot State (31-14, 29-6)
    2. Augustana (40-8, 26-8)
    3. St. Cloud State (28-13, 21-8)
    4. Minnesota State-Mankato (31-14, 26-10)
    5. Concordia-St. Paul (23-14, 16-10)
    6. Winona State (18-21, 17-15)
    7. Wayne State (20-24, 18-16)
    8. Northern State (20-18, 13-13)
    9. Upper Iowa (17-24, 15-18)
    10. Sioux Falls (15-31, 15-21)
    11. Southwest Minnesota State (17-23, 12-18)
    12. Minnesota-Duluth (16-29, 12-21)
    13. Minnesota-Crookston (24-27, 10-22)
    14. Bemidji State (8-36, 6-24)
    15. Mary (5-38, 2-30)

    Minot State wins the NSIC regular season championship, the first ever NSIC championship for a Beavers' men's program.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    16,836
    Rep Power
    728933

    Default Re: 2018 NSIC Basbeall

    2018 NSIC Tournament - Sioux Falls, SD (Karras Park & SF Stadium)

    First Round - Wednesday, May 9
    #1 Minot State vs. #8 Northern State (12:00 p.m.)
    #4 Minnesota State-Mankato vs. #5 Concordia-St. Paul (12:30 p.m.)
    #2 Augustana vs. #7 Wayne State (6:00 p.m.)
    #3 St. Cloud State vs. #6 Winona State (6:30 p.m.)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Belton, MO
    Posts
    2,853
    Rep Power
    319856

    Default Re: 2018 NSIC Basbeall

    This hasn't happened for several years in the MIAA but I see the MIAA isn't the only conference that rewards teams for not playing games. St Cloud finished 13 games above .500 (21-8), 1-1/2 games behind Mankato (26-10) but had a .002 better winning % so they get the 3 seed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector
    Posts
    46,574
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: 2018 NSIC Basbeall

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    This hasn't happened for several years in the MIAA but I see the MIAA isn't the only conference that rewards teams for not playing games. St Cloud finished 13 games above .500 (21-8), 1-1/2 games behind Mankato (26-10) but had a .002 better winning % so they get the 3 seed.
    The current Gopher hockey coach who was the coach at St. Cloud said tonight at the Gopher Caravan about Big Ten hockey that the Gophers missed the NCAA playoffs by .001 to the team that won it all, UMD. So it can come down to that little bit.

    Or of course, it just pours gasoline on the rivalry between MSU and SCSU.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector
    Posts
    46,574
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: 2018 NSIC Basbeall


  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector
    Posts
    46,574
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: 2018 NSIC Basbeall


  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Renville County, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,680
    Rep Power
    4781

    Default Re: 2018 NSIC Basbeall

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    This hasn't happened for several years in the MIAA but I see the MIAA isn't the only conference that rewards teams for not playing games. St Cloud finished 13 games above .500 (21-8), 1-1/2 games behind Mankato (26-10) but had a .002 better winning % so they get the 3 seed.
    It would seem that if anything, the team playing fewer games should not be rewarded in a case like this. Especially if the cancelled games opponent is within a reasonable distance; i.e., within 2 hours or less. For example, the MSU softball team had a weather related cancellation with SW State in April, and was not made up later. I found this surprising, as Marshall and Mankato MN are at most an hour and a half distant. Understandably, this is ultimately up to school officials, and mutual agreement. However, it would be desirable to have a more uniform conference policy in place for this type of situation.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Belton, MO
    Posts
    2,853
    Rep Power
    319856

    Default Re: 2018 NSIC Basbeall

    Quote Originally Posted by MStateMaverick View Post
    It would seem that if anything, the team playing fewer games should not be rewarded in a case like this. Especially if the cancelled games opponent is within a reasonable distance; i.e., within 2 hours or less. For example, the MSU softball team had a weather related cancellation with SW State in April, and was not made up later. I found this surprising, as Marshall and Mankato MN are at most an hour and a half distant. Understandably, this is ultimately up to school officials, and mutual agreement. However, it would be desirable to have a more uniform conference policy in place for this type of situation.
    I know the MIAA doesn't allow teams to make up any of the weekend series games. I always thought that was crazy but it was explained that they don't want teams choosing which games to make up (rescheduling the series with a bottom team but not the series against one better teams) in a terrible weather year when many games are cancelled.

    Team that are the closest geographically usually play midweek single games in 3 different weeks and I think those games can be made up.
    Last edited by Randy; 05-09-2018 at 09:32 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Renville County, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,680
    Rep Power
    4781

    Default Re: 2018 NSIC Basbeall

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I know the MIAA doesn't allow teams to make up any of the weekend series games. I always thought that was crazy but it was explained that they don't want teams choosing which games to make up (rescheduling the series with a bottom team but not the series against one better teams) in a terrible weather year when many games are cancelled.

    Team that are the closest geographically usually play midweek single games in 3 different weeks and I think those games can be made up.
    I can see their rationale, but agree that teams that are close geographically should be able to make up at least those games midweek.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    16,836
    Rep Power
    728933

    Default Re: 2018 NSIC Basbeall

    NSIC Tournament - First Round
    Northern State 13, Minot State 6
    Concordia-St. Paul 7, Minnesota State-Mankato 4
    Augustana 10, Wayne State 0
    St. Cloud State 23, Winona State 0

    ===============================

    NSIC Tournament Games - Thursday, May 10

    Elimination Games
    Minot State vs. Minnesota State-Mankato
    Wayne State vs. Winona State

    Winner's Bracket
    Northern State vs. Concordia-St. Paul
    St. Cloud State vs. Augustana

  11. #11

    Default Re: 2018 NSIC Basbeall

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I know the MIAA doesn't allow teams to make up any of the weekend series games. I always thought that was crazy but it was explained that they don't want teams choosing which games to make up (rescheduling the series with a bottom team but not the series against one better teams) in a terrible weather year when many games are cancelled.

    Team that are the closest geographically usually play midweek single games in 3 different weeks and I think those games can be made up.
    Quote Originally Posted by MStateMaverick View Post
    I can see their rationale, but agree that teams that are close geographically should be able to make up at least those games midweek.
    The teams have I believe a five day window to get the three game series in. They can start as early as Thursday and go into Monday, although I don't think they can take more than one day off between games.
    With increased accuracy of weather forecasts I think it's worked out pretty well over the last few years. An MIAA team hasn't lost more than one game to the weather since the 2015 season.
    Or we've just had great weather.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    16,836
    Rep Power
    728933

    Default Re: 2018 NSIC Basbeall

    NSIC Tournament - May 10

    Elimination Games
    Minot State 3, Minnesota State-Mankato 2 (Mankato eliminated)
    Wayne State 9, Winona State 7 (Winona eliminated)

    Winner's Bracket Games
    Concordia-St. Paul 5, Northern State 4
    Augustana 5, St. Cloud State 2

    Elimination Games
    Minot State 13, St. Cloud State 6 (SCSU eliminated)
    Northern State 12, Wayne State 6 (WSC eliminated)

    =================================

    Games for Friday, May 11

    Winner's Bracket
    Concordia-St. Paul vs. Augustana

    Elimination Game
    Minot State vs. Northern State

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    16,836
    Rep Power
    728933

    Default Re: 2018 NSIC Basbeall

    May 11
    Augustana 8, Concordia-St. Paul 4
    Minot State 4, Northern State 1 (NSU eliminated)
    Concordia-St. Paul 4, Minot State 2 (Minot eliminated)

    May 12
    Augustana 10, Concordia-St. Paul 9

    Augustana wins the 2018 NSIC Tournament.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector
    Posts
    46,574
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: 2018 NSIC Basbeall


  15. Default Re: 2018 NSIC Basbeall

    This bracket makes absolutely no sense
    How did Augustana get the 5th seed in the region with 44 wins, when they were #1 in the country at the end of April?

    Also, how did St Cloud get in with 29 wins when they were 3rd in the regular season and got beat by Minot in the tournament?

    Minot had 36 wins, regular season title and got 3rd in the conference tournament that should have been more than enough to get in.

  16. #16

    Default Re: 2018 NSIC Basbeall

    Quote Originally Posted by jaydin20 View Post
    This bracket makes absolutely no sense
    How did Augustana get the 5th seed in the region with 44 wins, when they were #1 in the country at the end of April?

    Also, how did St Cloud get in with 29 wins when they were 3rd in the regular season and got beat by Minot in the tournament?

    Minot had 36 wins, regular season title and got 3rd in the conference tournament that should have been more than enough to get in.
    Conference standings and national rankings don't mean anything in regional rankings.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector
    Posts
    46,574
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: 2018 NSIC Basbeall

    Quote Originally Posted by jaydin20 View Post
    This bracket makes absolutely no sense
    How did Augustana get the 5th seed in the region with 44 wins, when they were #1 in the country at the end of April?

    Also, how did St Cloud get in with 29 wins when they were 3rd in the regular season and got beat by Minot in the tournament?

    Minot had 36 wins, regular season title and got 3rd in the conference tournament that should have been more than enough to get in.
    In basketball, the regular season title seems to mean something. Evidently it must not in baseball.

  18. Default Re: 2018 NSIC Basbeall

    Quote Originally Posted by jaydin20 View Post
    This bracket makes absolutely no sense
    How did Augustana get the 5th seed in the region with 44 wins, when they were #1 in the country at the end of April?

    Also, how did St Cloud get in with 29 wins when they were 3rd in the regular season and got beat by Minot in the tournament?

    Minot had 36 wins, regular season title and got 3rd in the conference tournament that should have been more than enough to get in.
    Weak schedule. Part of it is the NSIC's fault for scheduling the traditionally stronger teams against each other and the weaker teams against each other with not as many games against the other group. Then they went 1-7 vs Pittsburgh St and Kearney early in the season, and SCSU was 2-0 vs then in the regular season.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Belton, MO
    Posts
    2,853
    Rep Power
    319856

    Default Re: 2018 NSIC Basbeall

    When the first rankings came out 3 weeks ago, I was surprised that CentralMO with around 10 losses was #1 and Augie with 2 losses was #2. But when I examined the spreadsheet published with the rankings, the Mules had a significantly higher SOS and had played 12 games against regionally ranked opponents compared to Augie's 4. Augie also had played 6 or 7 games against non D2 opponents while CentralMO had played 0. It was clear that Augie was being punished for not playing a tough enough schedule.

    Upon further review, Augie record for this process is 39-8 so they only played 5 non D2 opponents.
    Last edited by Randy; 05-14-2018 at 12:23 PM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: 2018 NSIC Basbeall

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    When the first rankings came out 3 weeks ago, I was surprised that CentralMO with around 10 losses was #1 and Augie with 2 losses was #2. But when I examined the spreadsheet published with the rankings, the Mules had a significantly higher SOS and had played 12 games against regionally ranked opponents compared to Augie's 4. Augie also had played 6 or 7 games against non D2 opponents while CentralMO had played 0. It was clear that Augie was being punished for not playing a tough enough schedule.
    Playing a D2 schedule seems to be very important in the eyes of the baseball committee. I understand it is easier for the MIAA to get non-con D2 games due to our location but part of that is an effort to schedule D2 games. The MIAA only played two games against non-D2 schools this year according to the NCAA web site where as the NSIC played 32 non-D2 games and the GAC played 27 non-D2 games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •