Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KWC Football

Contribute to D2

Default KWC Football

Kentucky Wesleyan graduated around 23 seniors on a team that was dominated this past season with freshmen. Coach Holsclaw has already brought in his first wave of recruits to replace the seniors and any players who quit. KWC will probably never see another Keelan Cole. At one time I thought KWC would eventually be a top ranked football team in DII. I was at the college as a student in 1983 when they started the football program. It baffles me why I ever thought Wesleyan would ever be a national contender in football.

The program got off to a terrible start from the get go. While I was a student there some of the football players wore hoods and mugged a Dominos Pizza delivery man. How cool is that? If some of the team members were not moral delinquents, the team was absolutely horrible. Some seasons they couldn't even beat D3 JV programs. Rob Mallory, the current Director of Athletics at KWC, could bring in a high quality football coach with his connections, but the college is so afraid that nobody will ever be able to recruit the number of players into a D2 football program like Brent Holsclaw can. I am not sure how many of these players are on scholarship.

I'm not sure the athletic department and football in particular will ever be very strong anytime in the near future, and maybe that is for the best. The current administration wants the college to really focus on it's academic profile and according to the college they have been rated as the best institution in Kentucky to attain a Bachelor of Arts degree. I don't doubt that and it makes me proud that a small college like KWC can have that type of academic reputation. So, even if Brent can bring in a high number of football players, they will have to be students who can meet the academic challenges of the college and there are no free academic rides at Kentucky Wesleyan, especially not now and perhaps there never was. They just got kicked off the team if they flunked out or mugged someone.

Also, for those teams visiting Steele Stadium this upcoming season, they will be greeted with a new turf playing surface. The new turf surface has been laid at Steele Stadium with the support of a Corporate Sponsor in Independence Bank.

I am not knocking these players that have been signed. They have to be good kids and good students. They come from Kentucky, Alabama, Florida and Georgia. Honestly, I hope they do great. Most of all I hope they learn, graduate, and become leaders in their respective professions in the future.

The class of 2018 is as follows, first wave:

Peyton Peters, WR
    6'2"-180lbs /Owensboro, Ky./Apollo

Tyreik Norwood, DE
    6'4"-220lbs /Winchester, Tenn./Franklin Co.

Mack Guice III, CB
    5'10"-155lbs /Gurley, Ala./Madison Co.

Landan Thomas, RB
    5'9"-195lbs /Coral Springs, Fla./Coral Springs Charter School

Chase Wilson, QB
    5'11" – 185lbs /Scottsville, Ky./Allen Co. Scottsville

Terrion Dangerfield, OLB
    5'10"-225lbs/Norcross, Ga./Norcross

Jalen Humphrey, ILB
    6'0" – 223lbs/Huntsville, Ala./Lee

Isaiah McCaulley, OL
    6'4"-260lbs/Madison, Ala./Lee

Darryl Pointer Jr., DE
    6'0" – 215lbs/Decatur, Ala./Austin

Kyle Hurt, OLB
    5'11" – 195lbs/Mayfield, Ky./Mayfield

Kyron Anderson, OLB
    6'0" – 185lbs/Louisville, Ky./Butler

Shamar Foster, OLB
    6'3" – 206lbs/Hopkinsville, Ky./Christian Co.

Jacob Johnson, OL
    6'3" – 275lbs/Hartselle, Ala./Hartselle

Armand Childs, DB
    5'11" – 175lbs/Warner Robbins, Ga./Northside

Alijah McGhee. CB
    6'2" – 180lbs/Byron, Ga./Northside
    Last edited by alumnifan; 05-07-2018 at 08:13 AM.

Default Re: KWC Football

KWC and AB should take pride in the fact that these two programs laid the bare ground necessary for what is going to be a very good football conference. It may seem that I am being critical of the KWC football program, but that is really not the case at all. I am just being honest.
    Last edited by alumnifan; 05-07-2018 at 07:15 AM.

I don't know how many football players are on scholarship, if any. Some players have to be on scholarship, I guess. However with the number of players on the team, many are not on an athletic scholarship. They could be getting other kinds of financial aid. KWC has always done a good job of getting kids financial aid right out of high school in order to bring them to Wesleyan as students if the college wanted them, regardless of whether they are athletes or not.

Does anyone know what KWC's schedule is? I'm surprised they haven't posted it as of June 5 (neither has Malone, for that matter).
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

The 2018 schedule is on the KWC athletic website.

Coach Brent Holsclaw enters his 16th season as head coach at KWC. His combined record in the Great Midwest Athletic Conference is 2-7 with both wins coming over Malone. In 2014, Coach Holsclaw produced a season record of 7-4 with wins over Trinity Bible, Arizona Christian, Faith, Lindenwood Belleville, Limestone, Virginia Lynchburg and Ohio Midwestern. In the 2015 season, Coach Holsclaw went 5-6 with wins over the University of God's Chosen, Central State, Louisiana College, Alfred State, and UNC Pembroke.

The following is his record per season.

2003 - 1-9
    2004 - 4-7
    2005 - 3-7
    2006 - 0-11
    2007 - 3-8
    2008 - 4-6
    2009 - 2-9
    2010 - 5-6
    2011 - 1-10
    2012 - 2-9
    2013 - 0-11
    2014 - 7-4
    2015 - 5-6
    2016 - 3-8
    2017 - 2-8
    Last edited by alumnifan; 07-08-2018 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alumnifan View Post
    The 2018 schedule is on the KWC athletic website.

Coach Brent Holsclaw enters his 16th season as head coach at KWC. His combined record in the Great Midwest Athletic Conference is 2-7 with both wins coming over Malone. In 2014, Coach Holsclaw produced a season record of 7-4 with wins over Trinity Bible, Arizona Christian, Faith, Lindenwood Belleville, Limestone, Virginia Lynchburg and Ohio Midwestern. In the 2015 season, Coach Holsclaw went 5-6 with wins over the University of God's Chosen, Central State, Louisiana College, Alfred State, and UNC Pembroke.

The following is his record per season.

2003 - 1-9
    2004 - 4-7
    2005 - 3-7
    2006 - 0-11
    2007 - 3-8
    2008 - 4-6
    2009 - 2-9
    2010 - 5-6
    2011 - 1-10
    2012 - 2-9
    2013 - 0-11
    2014 - 7-4
    2015 - 5-6
    2016 - 3-8
    2017 - 2-8
    He still has a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony33 View Post
    He still has a job.
    He is the only employee at KWC who is guaranteed a job for the rest of his life. Apparently, he knows where the bodies are buried.
    Last edited by alumnifan; 07-09-2018 at 07:56 PM.

He is the only employee at KWC who is guaranteed a job for the rest of his life. Apparently, he knows where the bodies are buried.
    WOW.

9. Default Re: KWC Football

Trinity Bible, Arizona Christian, Faith, Lindenwood Belleville, Limestone, Virginia Lynchburg and Ohio Midwestern. University of God's Chosen, Central State, Louisiana College, Alfred State, and UNC Pembroke.
    How do these contest count?

Quote Originally Posted by OhioD2 View Post
    How do these contest count?
    Trinity Bible College (NCCAA), Arizona Christian (NAIA), Louisiana College (NCAA D3) are all considered as countable opponents by the NCAA. They don't count towards playoff eligibility but do count for statistical purposes.VU-Lynchburg is now a countable opponent because they joined the NCCAA. Faith, Ohio Midwestern and God's Chosen are not countable according to the NCAA.

Those seasons never mattered anyway. He knew they would never make the playoffs. I doubt they will ever make the playoffs while he's the head coach, and nobody other than the All American Club (boosters) really seems to care - IMO. I am not even sure where the boosters stand with the athletic program now. The sad part about the whole situation is the fact that KWC has a really nice D2 football facility. The field has beautiful new turf laid, state of the art. The boxes are nice. The visitor's section is equivalent to other small stadiums. They have a very adequate weight room. Maybe, Coach Holsclaw was the one that got all that done. I kind of doubt it, though. Anyway, if the college is going to be satisfied with the football program winning one or two games a year in the G-MAC, then that is their prerogative. I don't like the fact and I think the college can do better. Any football coach worth their weight in salt can recruit in a region where there is basically no small college football program in their immediate area other than their own. Southwest Kentucky produces state champions in programs like Mayfield, Paducah Tilghman and even Caldwell County. There are a lot of good high school programs with good players in southern Indiana, southern Illinois and western Kentucky.

Also, if you think his players are shining stars in their academic endeavors, you would be mistaken. I believe he produced four players that were named to the G-MAC all academic team. I am pretty sure that is a lower percentage, given the number of players on the squad, than any of the other athletic teams at the college.
    Last edited by alumnifan; 07-13-2018 at 01:39 AM.

Guess not.

Well, Coach Holsclaw has resigned. "We all wish him well" in his next career. "First and foremost" next up to take over the reigns of the KWC Panther football team is Associate Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator, Taurean Smith. You really need some continuity between this season and next. Coach Smith has been on staff since the 2014 season. In the 2014 season his defense gave up 35 points per game on average. In the 2015 season his defense gave up 29 points per game on average. In the 2016 season his defense gave up 36 points per game on average, and in the 2017 season his defense gave up 48 points per game on average. I rounded those numbers off. So, basically his defense, on average, gave up around 36.5 points per game in the past four seasons. If anyone wants to dispute that statistic, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Overall, I think this is very good news for the athletic department in the long term. However, in the short term I wouldn't bet the farm on any game this upcoming season in favor of the Panthers. Last season was Taurean Smith' worst defensive season since he has been the Defensive Coordinator at KWC. Anytime your defense gives up 47.8 points per game, that's not good. However, I would say that last season was probably the toughest schedule the football team has had in awhile. This upcoming season they will play eight G-MAC teams plus Kentucky State and Quincy. So, who knows? Maybe, they will win some games this season or none. I hope they go undefeated and win the National Championship. However, that is not going to happen to say the least. The article on the KWC athletic website stated there will be a national search after the 2018 season. I'm sure there will be plenty of coaches who are associate head coaches and maybe even head coaches from other NCAA programs that will immediately show interest in some form or another.

The good news is the KWC football team will hopefully improve over the next few years. Any coach that is hired has his work cut out for him. Coach Holsclaw supposedly resigned and his duties will officially end on July 31st. The bad news is there could be defection in the ranks right off the bat this season. One promising note on that subject is Coach Smith has been responsible for much of the recruiting. I would say by the end of the season there will be a coaching short list, and sometime during the Spring semester a new head coach will be in the office at the WHRC. How many players will get the boot is anybody's guess. The new coach will have to put together a new staff and bring in all new recruits and assimilate current players into his system. And, the list is endless if he wants to be successful. God Bless America!
    Last edited by alumnifan; 07-20-2018 at 01:25 AM.

14. Default Re: KWC Football

Wow, effective July 31 and first game is September 1. Interim coach has his work cut out for him. Thanks for the "opportunity"?

On Saturday, September 27, KWC travels to Hillsdale. Last year's contest with the Chargers didn't end so well for KWC. Also on the agenda is ODU, Findlay and Tiffin. Those are four tough teams. Does anyone believe that the Panthers might be able to beat at least one of these teams? Hillsdale returns QB Chance Stewart, a 6-foot, 5-inch, 245-pound senior (originally a Big 10 recruit). Also returning is pre-season All-American wide-receiver Trey Brock, a 6-foot, 3-inch senior who has caught the eye of NFL scouts. Hillsdale just completed installing a brand new playing field and made some minor improvements to the stadium. One pre-season poll has Hillsdale at number 24 in the nation, primarily based upon the Chargers returning offensive power. I'd like to predict Hillsdale to be the 2018 GMAC champion, but to do that they'll have to beat ODU, Findlay and Tiffin, or at least two of those opponents. So what's the 2018 season going to be for KWC with a new head coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Looking For 9 View Post
    Good football move?? I say yes. Very good man but week after week he got out coached on game day.
    Thank you. Now, you can get Brent Holsclaw to send you messages on Facebook. He has contacted me by message a couple of times wanting me to accept his friend request. First of all, he is not my friend. I have never talked to him. I only know of his coaching record and have watched him coach games at KWC. Brent, I merely pointed out your record, and I also was stating what many of the fans wanted to see happen. I did not cause you to resign. You could have stayed at KWC for another 25 years, probably. Much of what I said was simply facts. However, the football program will not see any significant improvement for probably three years. I am not your enemy, Brent Holsclaw. I have been asked to resign from several professional positions and I survived. You currently secured a job in the private sector before you resigned. I never had that luxury. I appreciate your contributions to the KWC football team as a player, but if you have a problem it is not with me. Perhaps, you should contact other people who could advise you as to why people like me felt the way they did, and I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE.

On numerous occasions on this board other posters have voiced their dissatisfaction with the KWC football program. I simply got tired of watching the program get beat consistently on a regular basis and often times by large margins. If your coaching abilities were more adequate, I am sure you could have procured another coaching job at another college or at least at a high school program if you met the academic qualifications. I wish you well. I really do, but don't try to intimidate me any further by messaging me on Facebook. Don't tell me to accept your Friend request. You can't anyway, because I have you blocked, and if by some chance you attempt to find where I live and come to my residence, you will be greeted accordingly. May God Bless you in your future endeavors.

The only current 2018 listing for Kentucky Wesleyan Football on the Official website of Kentucky Wesleyan Athletics is the Schedule for 2018. There is no official roster out yet, and there is no official Coaching Staff named, as of yet, for this year on the Official Site of Kentucky Wesleyan Athletics. We know Coach Taurean Smith will be the Interim Head Coach for this season and we know the schedule, but that's all we know officially. Their first game is on September 1st. The recruits for 2018 have already been announced, but that was before the Head Coach resigned. How many of those players come into the program is anybody's guess. Who knows? Coach Smith may have a complete team, but my guess is that he is still looking for replacement players while getting his practices organized and scheduled. I could be wrong, but there has to be some truth to that statement.

Outsiders perspective - I don’t think this is the type of coaching change you lose a lot of recruits over.

Well, the Panthers won one at home against Coach John L. Smith's KSU Thoroughbreds, 19-13. Coach Smith has dropped quite a bit in his college coaching career since leaving the University of Louisville job. Kentucky State was the first team Wesleyan ever played against in the modern football era back in the early 1980's. They played KSU on the football field at Owensboro Senior Hgh School and KWC got stomped. So, the Panthers stand at 1-2. KSU is 0-3. Good for Coach Smith. The search will still be on for a new head football coach after this season. However, interim Head Coach Taurean Smith might land a head job somewhere else if he can win four more games. He will definitely find a coaching job somewhere. The KWC squad is not quite as large as normal this year. I assume some players were dismissed or left after the last coach resigned.
    Last edited by alumnifan; 09-18-2018 at 02:13 AM.

Wesleyan has gotten hammered the past two games. However, Hillsdale and ODU are probably the two best teams in the league. To say this year's team does not play well on the road is an understatement, but they lost at home to Findlay by 50 points in the first game of the season. I don't expect them to win at Alderson Broaddus either. AB will play KWC tough at their place. I hope the new head coaching hire can do something to make this program respectable. They play hard at times, but they just don't have enough of the tough and durable small college football players needed to win tough games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast