Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thursday Games?

Default Thursday Games?

Sorry...newbie question I’m sure, but what’s the reasoning/purpose behind the Thursday games to start the football season?

Default Re: Thursday Games?

1. It's a 3 day weekend (Labor Day). You need to have the game before the students go home
    2. It's an advantage the next week if your opponent plays a Sat. game as you get more recovery and preparation time
    3. It's a disadvantage if you don't play on Thursday if your next opponent does as they get more prep time and recovery.
    4. You have had plenty of time to prepare for your opponent during fall camp so there's no reason not to play on a Thursday.

There are a lot of reasons not to play on Thursday.
    People have to work. It requires a day off of work if you travel. Worse tailgating, smaller crowds, worse atmosphere.

If the others in the conference do it, you pretty much have to, though.

I hate Thursday games.

4. Default Re: Thursday Games?

I'm not sure if Labor Day weekend is always a factor in scheduling the home opener for Thursday night. I always felt like it had more to do with the beginning of school. The school has all these new freshmen on campus and they schedule the first home game for a Thursday night to help get all these new students involved in the whole college scene. The school has a captive student audience on a Thursday night. UCM usually has a street festival that afternoon with lots of fun things for the students to do and then a lot of them naturally go to the game. Other than maybe Family Weekend or Home Coming, it's probably the most attended game by the students. I went to the UCM at Pitt State game in 2016 for the Pitt home opener on a Thursday night and it looked like they had a similar festival type deal going on for the students. Again, I think it has more to do with student involvement than anything else.
    Last edited by Kiss My Ass; 05-14-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Also, keep in mind that all but one game in the first two weeks are Thursday night games this season (the lone exception: Lindenwood at Missouri Southern in Week 2). Could that be a disadvantage for Lindenwood when they host Central Oklahoma or MoSo when they travel to Northwest on Sept. 15 (Week 3)?

I love Thursday games. I wish a meaningful Thursday game was played every week.

The reason they play Thursday night game is that is the earliest day that is allowed. If the NCAA allowed them to play the previous Saturday, I'm sure they'd do that instead and then take a week off at some point.

7. Default Re: Thursday Games?

Even though Thursday is the earliest day they can play a game, I have to agree with KMA that there may be other reasons for playing the home opener on a Thursday night. As mentioned, the administration has a captive student audience with lots of wide eyed freshmen and the school provides a fun pregame festive atmosphere for the Thursday night home opener. The next time I run into UCM president Chuck Ambrose I'm going to ask him about the reasons for having the home opener on a Thursday night.

I love Thursday games because I take Thursday off to tailgate, go to the game and still have 3 day weekend.

Don't think anyone has mentioned this, but some of the reasoning may have to do with the heat. Day games can be very hot and the fields really soak up the heat. Just a thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Thepeman View Post
    Don't think anyone has mentioned this, but some of the reasoning may have to do with the heat. Day games can be very hot and the fields really soak up the heat. Just a thought!
    Then play the game on Saturday NIGHT.

Quote Originally Posted by PSR View Post
    Then play the game on Saturday NIGHT.
    +1

Thursday night games started when we had out of conference games. If you had a good opponent- you would schedule a Thursday night game with the hope that it would get picked up to be televised- because there weren’t very many games scheduled on Thursdays, and if it had the opportunity to be a good game chances were better to get picked up. But now they are all in conference games- odds aren’t likely that they will get picked up. That was the original idea - Then they said that since that went away they liked having 10 days between the first two games. But then they went and changed it to the first 2 weeks everyone has Thursday night games. Basically what I’m getting at is that all of the rational that I’ve been told over the years as to why they do it is BS. My guess is that basically it boils down to because it’s probably easier for them - it sure isn’t for the fans advantage!

I am not a fan of Thursday night games...I could live with the opener being on Thursday, wouldn't like it but could live it with. Now, since 2014 each of the 1st two weeks are Thursday nights (at least for NW). My preference would be for the conference to have 1 Thursday night game (rotate it so no one left out) and then the rest of week games could be on Saturday. That way a true fan could catch 4 teams playing that 1st week! It'll never happen but nice to wish/dream!!

13. Default Re: Thursday Games?

Appreciate the responses!

The reason for my question was through my own personal experience with Thurday night games at my Alma Mater in TX where the crowds were always awful.

Its gonna be tough with work, but will just have to deal with it. Good thing I’m old and dont need as much sleep

Quote Originally Posted by ruwallydog View Post
    Appreciate the responses!

The reason for my question was through my own personal experience with Thurday night games at my Alma Mater in TX where the crowds were always awful.

Its gonna be tough with work, but will just have to deal with it. Good thing I’m old and dont need as much sleep
    Thursday nighters hurt the crowds at Pitt.

Quote Originally Posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    There are a lot of reasons not to play on Thursday.
    People have to work. It requires a day off of work if you travel. Worse tailgating, smaller crowds, worse atmosphere.

If the others in the conference do it, you pretty much have to, though.

I hate Thursday games.
    Idk about the rest of the MIAA, but NW averaged 7,884 fans in home games last year. The opening night game against Emporia State drew 8,055 fans.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatMediaStudent1 View Post
    Idk about the rest of the MIAA, but NW averaged 7,884 fans in home games last year. The opening night game against Emporia State drew 8,055 fans.
    Missouri Western had five home Thursday night games in the last six years (none in 2013 or 2015, but two in 2012). Last year, the first game attendance vs. Missouri Southern was 3874, 96% of the average (3,995). That was also after a season-opening loss at UNK took some wind out of the sails. The other four games were above the average, most significantly.
    2016 - vs. UNK (season opener), 6,017 (117% of average)
    2014 - vs. UCM (season opener), 5,105 (123%)
    2012 - vs. UCM (season opener), 5,471 (115%), vs. William Jewell (week 2), 4,811 (101%)

Looking at last year's Thursday night season openers:
    UCM vs. Pitt State - 10,379 (123% of average)
    UCO vs. Lindenwood - 5,931 (119%)
    NSU vs. WU - 2307 (115%)
    UNK vs. MWSU - 6514 (122%)
    MSSU vs. FHSU - 5726 (111%)
    NWMSU vs. ESU - 8,055 (102%)

17. Default Re: Thursday Games?

Thanks GrifFan - so much for those posters that were complaining about poor attendance for Thursday night home openers.

18. Default Re: Thursday Games?

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    Also, keep in mind that all but one game in the first two weeks are Thursday night games this season (the lone exception: Lindenwood at Missouri Southern in Week 2). Could that be a disadvantage for Lindenwood when they host Central Oklahoma or MoSo when they travel to Northwest on Sept. 15 (Week 3)?
    Now there's a good excuse for one of our many losses this upcoming season. If we only had two more days to prepare, we might have a chance against Northwest. LOL!!!!!!!!

19. Default Re: Thursday Games?

Thats awesome! Thanks GrifFan

The next question is the reason for the good attendance? Thursday (less distractions) or early season and the attendance would be higher whatever day the game is played?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast