Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thursday Games?

Default Re: Thursday Games?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    The next question is the reason for the good attendance? Thursday (less distractions) or early season and the attendance would be higher whatever day the game is played?
    Ding ding ding!

Pitt State hadn't had their early season swoon and NW hadn't revealed that they were the least enjoyable to watch NW team in a while.

2. Default Re: Thursday Games?

Quote Originally Posted by GorillaBred View Post
    Ding ding ding!

Pitt State hadn't had their early season swoon and NW hadn't revealed that they were the least enjoyable to watch NW team in a while.
    And MSSU had hopes of a 3 win season instead of an 0-fer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss My Ass View Post
    I'm not sure if Labor Day weekend is always a factor in scheduling the home opener for Thursday night. I always felt like it had more to do with the beginning of school. The school has all these new freshmen on campus and they schedule the first home game for a Thursday night to help get all these new students involved in the whole college scene. The school has a captive student audience on a Thursday night. UCM usually has a street festival that afternoon with lots of fun things for the students to do and then a lot of them naturally go to the game. Other than maybe Family Weekend or Home Coming, it's probably the most attended game by the students. I went to the UCM at Pitt State game in 2016 for the Pitt home opener on a Thursday night and it looked like they had a similar festival type deal going on for the students. Again, I think it has more to do with student involvement than anything else.
    The next question is the reason for the good attendance? Thursday (less distractions) or early season and the attendance would be higher whatever day the game is played?

Randy, I think the attached earlier post by KMA makes a good point about the start of school and having a captive student audience on a Thursday night. I would say the students turn out more for that game than any other game. My own observation of the crowd on Thursday night home openers supports that theory.
    Last edited by Mulas; 05-14-2018 at 06:56 PM.

It’s great for the student body, keeps Labor Day weekend open, and I really enjoyed as a player. I’m assuming most of the conference has each of the first two weeks on Thursday, so that each school can have its annual home opener festivities each year when the students will more likely be there. Which, obviously, is geared toward student engagement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, there could be a lot of factors. Central Missouri last year obviously had a name opponent that typically travels well to boost attendance in week 1. Weather is typically less of an issue in late August than in October and November.

It seems kind of odd that a marquee matchup like ESU and NW in week one only drew a little more than average. Maybe they'd have had a larger crowd on Saturday, or maybe Northwest has just done a good job of maximizing attendance regardless of opponent and day - in their five home games last year attendance never never dipped below 7,000 and never exceeded 8,600.

6. Default Re: Thursday Games?

Quote Originally Posted by Erbert View Post
    It’s great for the student body, keeps Labor Day weekend open, and I really enjoyed as a player. I’m assuming most of the conference has each of the first two weeks on Thursday, so that each school can have its annual home opener festivities each year when the students will more likely be there. Which, obviously, is geared toward student engagement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your assumption is correct. Each school plays their first two games on Thursday night (one home and one away) so that every school has a Thursday night home opener. The students are wired up with the start of school (especially all those wide eyed freshmen) and you throw in a street fair, etc. and bingo the students turn out big time for the Thursday night home opener. Some of the posters are over thinking this Thursday night home opener....hey, it's not rocket science.... it's just marketing the product at the beginning of the school year when you have a captive student audience for the home opener on a Thursday night.
    Last edited by Kiss My Ass; 05-15-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    Yeah, there could be a lot of factors. Central Missouri last year obviously had a name opponent that typically travels well to boost attendance in week 1. Weather is typically less of an issue in late August than in October and November.

It seems kind of odd that a marquee matchup like ESU and NW in week one only drew a little more than average. Maybe they'd have had a larger crowd on Saturday, or maybe Northwest has just done a good job of maximizing attendance regardless of opponent and day - in their five home games last year attendance never never dipped below 7,000 and never exceeded 8,600.
    Tired of playing ESU?

It's not a marquee matchup when one team has won 145 in a row in the series.

Thursday game is fine the week before Labor Day, as others have said. After that, it's just dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBearcat View Post
    It's not a marquee matchup when one team has won 145 in a row in the series.

Thursday game is fine the week before Labor Day, as others have said. After that, it's just dumb.
    "No. 1 vs. No. 4? *Yawn*"

Congratulations! Your Smug Bearcat credentials have been renewed for another season!

10. Default Re: Thursday Games?

Slow time for football news, so just a quick shout out to our baseball teams playing in the regional starting Thursday in Magnolia, Arkansas. Half of the 8 team field comes from the MIAA. All games can be watched for free on the MIAA network.

Team-Seed
    UCM - 2
    UCO - 3
    PITT - 4
    EMP - 8

Good luck guys.

11. Default Re: Thursday Games?

Your assumption is correct. Each school plays their first two games on Thursday night (one home and one away) so that every school has a Thursday night home opener. The students are wired up with the start of school (especially all those wide eyed freshmen) and you throw in a street fair, etc. and bingo the students turn out big time for the Thursday night home opener. Some of the posters are over thinking this Thursday night home opener....hey, it's not rocket science.... it's just marketing the product at the beginning of the school year when you have a captive student audience for the home opener on a Thursday night.
    FWIW, I think both Pitt and MoSo would play week 2 home games on Saturday. I think they would play week 1 home games on Saturday, except for the short week it would leave them leading up to week 2.

12. Default Re: Thursday Games?

Quote Originally Posted by GorillaBred View Post
    FWIW, I think both Pitt and MoSo would play week 2 home games on Saturday. I think they would play week 1 home games on Saturday, except for the short week it would leave them leading up to week 2.
    GorillaBred - I'm not exactly sure what you're saying in your post, but here's the schedule for Pitt and Mo South for the first two weeks.

Pitt State: Week 1 - Thursday Aug. 30 - 7:00 at home vs. UCO
    Week 2 - Thursday Sept.6 - 7:00 at Emporia State

Mo South: Week 1 - Thursday Aug. 30 - 7:00 at Nebraska Kearney
    Week 2 - Saturday Sept. 8 - 6:00 home vs Lindenwood

Apparently the Thursday / Thursday thing the first two weeks doesn't hold true in every case, as Mo South opens at home at 6:00 on a Saturday night in week two.
    Last edited by Kiss My Ass; 05-16-2018 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Mule View Post
    Slow time for football news, so just a quick shout out to our baseball teams playing in the regional starting Thursday in Magnolia, Arkansas. Half of the 8 team field comes from the MIAA. All games can be watched for free on the MIAA network.

Team-Seed
    UCM - 2
    UCO - 3
    PITT - 4
    EMP - 8

Good luck guys.
    Actually they are not on the MIAA Network. They will be produced by Southern Arkansas but will be free since they are NCAA post season games. https://livestream.com/accounts/10140781

14. Default Re: Thursday Games?

Thanks Hornetfan for the correction on the live stream. I was in Warrensburg for the MIAA tourney last week and saw some great games. If I were #1 seed Southern Arkansas I would not want to open up against #8 seed Emporia State......the Hornets are scary and I will not be surprised if ESU defeats Southern Arkansas.

I added a thread in the "Other Sports" forum for the Central Baseball Regional. I included a link to the tournament home page and audio links for most of the schools.

16. Default Re: Thursday Games?

OK, thanks Randy.
    Last edited by Shanghai Mule; 05-16-2018 at 02:40 PM.

"No. 1 vs. No. 4? *Yawn*"

Congratulations! Your Smug Bearcat credentials have been renewed for another season!
    We all know how important pre-season rankings are.

Smug or sandbagger? Polar opposites, no?

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBearcat View Post

Smug or sandbagger? Polar opposites, no?
    That's why you get the credentials - you make both look so effortless.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12