Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTU field renovations

Default MTU field renovations

This is long over due! Finally some upgraded bleachers/press box and closer parking. Teams will still have a mile walk from the locker room however!

http://www.mtu.edu/giving/athletics/...ties/football/

http://www.mtu.edu/giving/athletics/...l/football.pdf

Default Re: MTU field renovations

But nothing in the budget for a lawnmower!

Northville, MI (after over 35 yrs in Midland, MI)

Nice to see the commitment. I still need to see a game up there. I was close to going in '17, but DD's wedding bumped it. Maybe in '19

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    But nothing in the budget for a lawnmower!
    Why with the turf they have would they need a lawn mower?

Quote Originally Posted by champgymusa View Post
    Why with the turf they have would they need a lawn mower?
    Didn't know they had turf now. Internet hasn't reached up there yet to pass on the news.

Didn't know they had turf now. Internet hasn't reached up there yet to pass on the news.
    Tech added lights and has a nice turf field..added a few years ago I believe...

So what...Sherman Field and the related "lawnmower" jokes will always work for GV fans. Dick Nelson is smiling somewhere and asking..."can we at least get some goats or cows out there to trim that thing down?"

8. Default Re: MTU field renovations

The Field Turf was added back in 2007 if my memory serves.

yes it was like at least five years ago...kle is usually up on this stuff

10. Default Re: MTU field renovations

New to the game. Is there any schools in the GLIAC that still has natural grass.

Northville, MI (after over 35 yrs in Midland, MI)

Quote Originally Posted by OhioDadGVSON View Post
    New to the game. Is there any schools in the GLIAC that still has natural grass.
    Oh boy, this might drag up some interesting comments.
    But yes, Northwood still has a grass field. There are plans to switch it, but it used to be last on their list of improvements for athletics (not sure for its current status.. This might be a good strategy since even Nwood knows how bad that field is and it might help keep the donations coming since something has to be done about the field. Trust me, it has some serious issues.. drainage, "holes" etc.

While this renovation looks to be a major upgrade over the current facilities at MT, I have to say that I'm pretty underwhelmed by the design shown in the renderings. Most major DII football stadium renovations that I have seen over the past 5 years or so are both larger and more aesthetically pleasing than what is presented by these renderings. I understand that needs and resources vary widely among DII football programs and their fanbases but I would expect that an institution with an enrollment around 7000 like MTU would aim a little higher when embarking on a major stadium renovation such as this. I know that this is largely a matter of opinion but I wonder if anyone else has a similar reaction to the renderings. Is average attendance at MTU football games not proportional to their enrollment?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GRIFFan_Kyle@MoWest View Post
    While this renovation looks to be a major upgrade over the current facilities at MT, I have to say that I'm pretty underwhelmed by the design shown in the renderings. Most major DII football stadium renovations that I have seen over the past 5 years or so are both larger and more aesthetically pleasing than what is presented by these renderings. I understand that needs and resources vary widely among DII football programs and their fanbases but I would expect that an institution with an enrollment around 7000 like MTU would aim a little higher when embarking on a major stadium renovation such as this. I know that this is largely a matter of opinion but I wonder if anyone else has a similar reaction to the renderings. Is average attendance at MTU football games not proportional to their enrollment?
    Interesting take.

I highlighted two segments: First, you point out that "needs and resources vary widely" in D2. Then, you ask if "average attendance at MTU games is proportional to their enrollment". In my mind, if one truly understands and accepts that needs and resources vary widely, then there is no presumption of an accepted "proportion" of attendance to enrollment. What is said proportion, and by whom is it set/created? The varying needs of each school, program, student body, local community, etc. make such an axiom impossible to assert...not to mention irrelevant.

It's like saying that one understands that families have different incomes, needs, religions, etc., but then asserting that they all have to live in the same type of house and when they update the house they have to commit a certain amount of resources to doing it and it has to have a certain level of "impressiveness". Doesn't work that way.

For a program that was nearly disbanded 15 years ago to now have enough strength to warrant any kind of upgrade to its facilities is terrific. Add in that they average less than 2000 fans per game, have a decidedly limited population locally from which to pull fans, AND that they are really a hockey school, and I'd say that anything they can and are willing to do in this realm is pretty neat.

You're absolutely welcome to be "underwhelmed"...not telling you what opinion to have. Just offering another way of viewing things.

as someone who grew up going to mtu games i think the plans are about what id expect...they get 1-2 grand per game....mtu is a hockey school...the population is small up here and a few high schools play their games on saturdays...people also like to sit on the hillside and they have a pavillion that serves beer and a lot of people (relatively speaking) watch the game from there...there is no need for a larger grandstand

one problem with their plan is the snow is just finally melting which i am sure pushed things back a little

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Nicolette View Post
    Interesting take.

I highlighted two segments: First, you point out that "needs and resources vary widely" in D2. Then, you ask if "average attendance at MTU games is proportional to their enrollment". In my mind, if one truly understands and accepts that needs and resources vary widely, then there is no presumption of an accepted "proportion" of attendance to enrollment. What is said proportion, and by whom is it set/created? The varying needs of each school, program, student body, local community, etc. make such an axiom impossible to assert...not to mention irrelevant.

It's like saying that one understands that families have different incomes, needs, religions, etc., but then asserting that they all have to live in the same type of house and when they update the house they have to commit a certain amount of resources to doing it and it has to have a certain level of "impressiveness". Doesn't work that way.

For a program that was nearly disbanded 15 years ago to now have enough strength to warrant any kind of upgrade to its facilities is terrific. Add in that they average less than 2000 fans per game, have a decidedly limited population locally from which to pull fans, AND that they are really a hockey school, and I'd say that anything they can and are willing to do in this realm is pretty neat.

You're absolutely welcome to be "underwhelmed"...not telling you what opinion to have. Just offering another way of viewing things.
    well put

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Nicolette View Post
    Interesting take.

Well said Tony...I think many of us remember the battle at the Big House as part of the fund raising to help Tech keep the program. I wish they had a visitor locker room that a little closer but this is a really nice upgrade for the Huskies. Tech also has a great home game vibe with their band too. I know GVSU took pop ups to the game and did half time on the sidelines. The new shorter NCAA half time rules really hurt at Tech. Hope they get the snow gone and the buildings up!!

17. Default Re: MTU field renovations

Well said Tony...I think many of us remember the battle at the Big House as part of the fund raising to help Tech keep the program. I wish they had a visitor locker room that a little closer but this is a really nice upgrade for the Huskies. Tech also has a great home game vibe with their band too. I know GVSU took pop ups to the game and did half time on the sidelines. The new shorter NCAA half time rules really hurt at Tech. Hope they get the snow gone and the buildings up!!
    Tech wishes they had a Home locker room a little closer

18. Default Re: MTU field renovations

I'm sure the majority of other fans will think this is an underwhelming upgrade, which may be the case for their school, but for Tech it is huge. If they went any bigger it would just be empty seats, which creates a negative atmosphere. The enrollment of 7000 is mostly engineering students, grad students and foreign students so not exactly the rabid sports fan base other schools might have. The community is a combined population of less than 10,000 people so there isn't a huge pool to draw from there either. Also, with the distance of travel to Houghton, there are very few visiting fans. Like Tony mentioned, the program was canceled 15 years ago before being saved last minute and, ever since, been mostly running on alumni donations and fundraising. All that being said, Tech still manages to produce a highly competitive team which keeps the deeply loyal small fan base coming game after game no matter sun, wind, rain, snow, snow or more snow. So as minor as the upgrade may seem to the outside, it is long overdue and will increase the game day atmosphere 10X for the fans attending and the players as well.

I think the only way Tech can grow the attendance at football games is if they built an indoor stadium and had a winning team. Late in the season when the weather turns to crap and there's nothing to play for but pride, the interest really drops off. The fans tend to move indoors to the hockey arena. HEY! Wait a minute....there's a idea! Let's start Arena Football in the GLIAC!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCommissioner View Post
    I think the only way Tech can grow the attendance at football games is if they built an indoor stadium and had a winning team. Late in the season when the weather turns to crap and there's nothing to play for but pride, the interest really drops off. The fans tend to move indoors to the hockey arena. HEY! Wait a minute....there's a idea! Let's start Arena Football in the GLIAC!
    Yeah, I don't think that MTU and Keweenaw Area could really handle having an indoor football stadium. The Yooper Dome in Marquette sits 8,000 for football and gets a lot of assorted events there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast