Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New kick off rule for 2018

Default Re: New kick off rule for 2018

Whoa, this certainly makes the game less fun! Isn't this a prelude to eliminating the kickoff altogether? Basically, any kickoff placed inside the 15 yard line the receiver will simply call for a fair catch and there will be no return so why even run the kick off? Just place the ball at the 25 and bring on the offense. This is a huge change which I don't think bodes well for the sport.

The below excerpt from the NCAA communique is the most Duh? Obvious thing I've ever read.

"The Football Rules Committee made the proposal to continue efforts to increase the number of touchbacks during kickoffs since fewer injuries occur during kickoffs that result in touchbacks than on kickoffs that are returned."

Doesn't this say there are fewer injuries when play is stopped than when play is resumed?

3. Default Re: New kick off rule for 2018

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    Whoa, this certainly makes the game less fun! Isn't this a prelude to eliminating the kickoff altogether? Basically, any kickoff placed inside the 15 yard line the receiver will simply call for a fair catch and there will be no return so why even run the kick off? Just place the ball at the 25 and bring on the offense. This is a huge change which I don't think bodes well for the sport.

The below excerpt from the NCAA communique is the most Duh? Obvious thing I've ever read.

"The Football Rules Committee made the proposal to continue efforts to increase the number of touchbacks during kickoffs since fewer injuries occur during kickoffs that result in touchbacks than on kickoffs that are returned."

Doesn't this say there are fewer injuries when play is stopped than when play is resumed?
    I'd say it going towards the elimination. Even the NFL is considering it. At least it gives the option of a return. The fair catch isn't mandatory, right? And the coverage team still needs to be there in case of a drop/fumble.

Whoa, this certainly makes the game less fun!
    As a player, I got to play on special teams as a sophomore in high school and a freshman in college. It gave me opportunities to do something that I otherwise wouldn't have had. Kick return, kick cover- use your speed and agility to make a play.

As a coach, I would put kids on the field who weren't going to start on offense or defense. Again, it made them feel like an important part of the team.

I think that they would like to limit the number of kick returns. They would be happy with not having them at all. Unfortunate.

5. Default Re: New kick off rule for 2018

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    As a player, I got to play on special teams as a sophomore in high school and a freshman in college. It gave me opportunities to do something that I otherwise wouldn't have had. Kick return, kick cover- use your speed and agility to make a play.

As a coach, I would put kids on the field who weren't going to start on offense or defense. Again, it made them feel like an important part of the team.

I think that they would like to limit the number of kick returns. They would be happy with not having them at all. Unfortunate.
    Kudos to you on this. How many complete moron coaches completely ignore much of their players and don't let them do anything and then have the kids check out mentally since they feel like they are not wanted or needed?

You are a good man and a wise coach. Believe in a kid and give them an opportunity to do something and you almost are always rewarded for it.

-

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Kudos to you on this. How many complete moron coaches completely ignore much of their players and don't let them do anything and then have the kids check out mentally since they feel like they are not wanted or needed?

You are a good man and a wise coach. Believe in a kid and give them an opportunity to do something and you almost are always rewarded for it.

-
    Thanks. I had some kids who hadn't been out for football and came out their senior year. They didn't have much athletic ability and were not going to start on offense or defense. This was payback for two a day practices and for supporting their teammates. I still get along with them three decades later and they always refer to me as "Coach". It is one thing when your stars remember you, but I think it is guys like this who appreciate you more.

As I said above, I really thought it was important as I was earning my stripes towards the starting lineup to play on special teams. It gave me a lot more confidence once I moved into that role.

New rule, New Sux as explained above.

Quote Originally Posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
    New rule, New Sux as explained above.
    So what will the coaches do with the new rule - kick high but not as deep to force a fair catch ? No change for the kicker, let the return team decide ? When will the return team call for a fair catch ? Anywhere behind the 5 ? Don't really like the rule, but it will be interesting to see the effect.

9. Default Re: New kick off rule for 2018

Evolution of the game for safety is inevitable. When I read some of the other ideas brought up, this was the best option. If this does work from a safety aspect and the fans support it, it may save kick offs from being eliminated all together.

I really don't see the safety aspect of this. Something's should be left alone, kickoffs could be a great strategy if coached correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by VulCanDoIt View Post
    Evolution of the game for safety is inevitable. When I read some of the other ideas brought up, this was the best option. If this does work from a safety aspect and the fans support it, it may save kick offs from being eliminated all together.
    I think this will render the kickoff meaningless. I understand the power of the NFL but I believe there will be another outdoor league emerge that has kickoffs and has a more rapid and exciting pace of play. When that happens my hypothetical new football league just might thrive.

College and pro football should keep kickoffs. I would think they can alter tackling and blocking rules (I can't tell you how they would do that) to preserve the excitement of the return. In baseball they call a triple the most exciting play and I think in football the kickoff is the most exciting.
    Last edited by iupgroundhog; 04-17-2018 at 10:16 AM.

I think this will render the kickoff meaningless. I understand the power of the NFL but I believe there will be another outdoor league emerge that has kickoffs and has a more rapid and exciting pace of play. When that happens my hypothetical new football league just might thrive.

College and pro football should keep kickoffs. I would think they can alter tackling and blocking rules (I can't tell you how they would do that) to preserve the excitement of the return. In baseball they call a triple the most exciting play and I think in football the kickoff is the most exciting.
    Agreed.

Very True. Can change a game in one play.

This is the beginning of rule changes geared toward reducing concussions. Kickoffs are the worst for brain-jarring hits. This is CYA as the NCAA hopes to afford some future lawsuits.

It's a downer for the game but I figured it was coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by UNALions View Post
    This is the beginning of rule changes geared toward reducing concussions. Kickoffs are the worst for brain-jarring hits. This is CYA as the NCAA hopes to afford some future lawsuits.

I would like to see statistics for injuries during onside kicks. I bet that they would be fairly high.

Look what the Assumption kickoff team did against IUP in the playoff game. It had IUP beyond frazzled out there with trickery (and got a huge, unexpected onside kick). As you recall, IUP struggled mightily at times last year covering kickoffs.

A massive number of football concussions come on the kickoff / kick return. You really get players left high and dry and receiving some totally unexpected hits. That said, special teams sure can alter a game or swing the momentum.

I forget if it was Assumption or West Florida but one of them had that real hyped up kick returner. When teams purposely kick away from guys, etc., ... it sure changes the game.

Mixed feelings.

When cops started using radar, drivers started using radar detectors. The game of cat and mouse continues in football too.

When the kickoff line was moved from the 30 to the 35, more touchbacks were expected. It would be interesting to see statistics to see if this happened, but it's likely that kicking teams lofted kickoffs higher and short of the goal line since the coverage team was now five yards closer to the returner, thus causing fewer touchbacks. So once all the positive/negative reactions clear to this rule, the real question is how will kicking teams handle this new rule?

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    When cops started using radar, drivers started using radar detectors. The game of cat and mouse continues in football too.

When the kickoff line was moved from the 30 to the 35, more touchbacks were expected. It would be interesting to see statistics to see if this happened, but it's likely that kicking teams lofted kickoffs higher and short of the goal line since the coverage team was now five yards closer to the returner, thus causing fewer touchbacks. So once all the positive/negative reactions clear to this rule, the real question is how will kicking teams handle this new rule?
    its more in the hands of the return team, mostly. do you fair catch inside the 5 ? 10 ? If you are behind you don't fair catch. If you are ahead you fair catch whenever you can, to avoid a fumble.

If I was ahead I would try to kick high to encourage a fair catch, but kicking a pop up between the 15-20 isn't as easy as it sounds. If I'm behind I try bouncers to force returns, get a better shot at a fumble. maybe more likely to onside kick earlier.

what do you think ?

Quote Originally Posted by UNALions View Post

The rules of the game have already changed enough to protect some of those crushing hits (blind side blocks for example). You mess with to much, you loose the energy of the game and what makes it a fun game to watch and especially play. You know what you're signing up for when you play the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Look what the Assumption kickoff team did against IUP in the playoff game. It had IUP beyond frazzled out there with trickery (and got a huge, unexpected onside kick). As you recall, IUP struggled mightily at times last year covering kickoffs.

A massive number of football concussions come on the kickoff / kick return. You really get players left high and dry and receiving some totally unexpected hits. That said, special teams sure can alter a game or swing the momentum.

I forget if it was Assumption or West Florida but one of them had that real hyped up kick returner. When teams purposely kick away from guys, etc., ... it sure changes the game.

Mixed feelings.
    I have to disagree with the MASSIVE NUMBER of football concussions, just because you get blasted does not mean you received a concussion. It's the overplay of words like MASSIVE and no stats to back-up the word MASSIVE. I can count on 1 hand how many times the games have been stopped due to Special Teams injuries. One rule they need to impose, if you cause an injury by an illegal hit and they can no longer play in the game, neither can you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast