Thread: NW Spring Game

Default NW Spring Game

Anybody attend? How did we look?

Default Re: NW Spring Game

I didn't go. The Daily Forum/Foolem seemed enthusiastic:

http://www.maryvilledailyforum.com/s...b9777c2f5.html

Hopefully better along the o-line so we can actually use Caldwell.

As spring ball often goes - it really is almost impossible to really tell a whole lot. To me, of the three QBs I liked Wright the best and then Kowalski. The running back situation will be pretty much the exact opposite of last year- meaning it will be tough to decide which one gets the ball because between Caldwell, Jones, Strayhorn, Thomas, and even White - they should be loaded for bear. What I saw out of the WRs was the exact same thing we all saw last year- which doesn’t bode well. Bane has turned into the second coming of Kendal Wright, and no one besides Tiny Tatum could run a route to save their lives. With the mashup of players it is impossible to really tell anything about the OL or DL for that matter. I do think you can probably keep your eye on Kaelin Key at DT - I think he will be the next stud DT. I also found it interesting that they had Elijah Green playing DT. It was good to see Chama Pierre back playing CB.

Quote Originally Posted by A-TownBearcat View Post
    Anybody attend? How did we look?
    NW won

Quote Originally Posted by Spider 2 Y Banana View Post
    NW won

I heard they lost?

Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    I heard they lost?
    Yes. Now .500 in the preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatDude View Post
    As spring ball often goes - it really is almost impossible to really tell a whole lot. To me, of the three QBs I liked Wright the best and then Kowalski. The running back situation will be pretty much the exact opposite of last year- meaning it will be tough to decide which one gets the ball because between Caldwell, Jones, Strayhorn, Thomas, and even White - they should be loaded for bear. What I saw out of the WRs was the exact same thing we all saw last year- which doesn’t bode well. Bane has turned into the second coming of Kendal Wright, and no one besides Tiny Tatum could run a route to save their lives. With the mashup of players it is impossible to really tell anything about the OL or DL for that matter. I do think you can probably keep your eye on Kaelin Key at DT - I think he will be the next stud DT. I also found it interesting that they had Elijah Green playing DT. It was good to see Chama Pierre back playing CB.
    He only runs a 4.9 (40). They will put some pounds on him this summer and fall and move him to DT.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    I heard they lost?
    You lost Caldwell...don't be a hater.

From what I saw, we could have a two QB system this Fall. Kowalski throwing and Wright running, which could add a dimension to the running game that we lacked in 2017.

Caldwell can't transfer until he finishes his degree at MW, according to Daily Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by NW Normal View Post
    From what I saw, we could have a two QB system this Fall. Kowalski throwing and Wright running, which could add a dimension to the running game that we lacked in 2017.

Caldwell can't transfer until he finishes his degree at MW, according to Daily Forum.
    Not really sure why we would need that added dimension this year from a running QB...it appears that we have exceptional talent in the backfield, plus we have more mobile qb's than last year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NW Normal View Post
    If we are depending on the Daily Fool’em for facts, we are hard pressed.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenwoodBearcat View Post
    Not really sure why we would need that added dimension this year from a running QB...it appears that we have exceptional talent in the backfield, plus we have more mobile qb's than last year as well.
    It never hurts to have the added dimension of a QB that can run. I think we saw that missing last year. It just seems to be a part of what we've done in recent years when the offense has really been on. That said, and probably to your point, last year was also different because we didn't have the consistency from the RB spot, and that looks to be significantly improved this year.

QB is a threat to keep the read plays (which will be good with new backs), the ability to scramble when passing plays break down (and actually get first downs), the ability to run plays with an extra blocker at the point of attack. ?Running QBs absolutely change the entire game. It's all about converting 1st downs and having a QB that can run allows drives to sustain.

Of course a QB has to be able to throw too, but one that can run changes how defenses have to play.

15. Default NW Spring Game

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatDude View Post

The inability of the WRs to run clean routes might complicate the passing game a little. Mel or AD would have had them running bleachers to cure that kind of mental inattention for good :-).

Given that’s a carry-over problem from last year, and it’s a coachable thing to iron out, I wonder why it’s still happening/not being coached?

But then, I guess the WRs do have to learn to catch the ball first :-).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lleachieshusband; 04-22-2018 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by catz54 View Post
    QB is a threat to keep the read plays (which will be good with new backs), the ability to scramble when passing plays break down (and actually get first downs), the ability to run plays with an extra blocker at the point of attack. ?Running QBs absolutely change the entire game. It's all about converting 1st downs and having a QB that can run allows drives to sustain.

Of course a QB has to be able to throw too, but one that can run changes how defenses have to play.
    I was simply meaning why would we need to bring in another QB for the wildcat situation. This almost proved detrimental during Brady Bolles SR season and Kyle Zimmerman JR season. I for one am always for a dual threat QB, but not the Wildcat B.S...

17. Default

I was simply meaning why would we need to bring in another QB for the wildcat situation. This almost proved detrimental during Brady Bolles SR season and Kyle Zimmerman JR season. I for one am always for a dual threat QB, but not the Wildcat B.S...

A duel-threat QB is nice to have, but you will notice that we struggled early in 2015 because they tried to use Brady as a run-first QB, and defenses would simply stack the line/blitz and wouldn’t respect anything downfield. It was only when Brady started passing first that freed up the rest of the offense. I hope that the OC remembers that, because if the OL doesn’t improve, and we can’t get the ball to the wideouts, it may be an ugly repeat of last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by catz54 View Post

All a good running QB needs to be able to do passing the ball is to shot put it to a TE. :)

If anyone thinks that the QB from Elkhorn is only a threat to run the ball they would be mistaken. He is a scrambler. Was told by one of his assistant coaches from high school that he was only sacked once in his 4 years there. Whether that carries over to his college career remains to be seen. Looks like we are blessed with 2 very talented quarterbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by voicefromthestands View Post
    If anyone thinks that the QB from Elkhorn is only a threat to run the ball they would be mistaken. He is a scrambler. Was told by one of his assistant coaches from high school that he was only sacked once in his 4 years there. Whether that carries over to his college career remains to be seen. Looks like we are blessed with 2 very talented quarterbacks.
    He did have a line that gave him an average of 5 seconds in the backfield as well, but he is the real deal. He can run and pass quite well.