Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Augustana thinking D1?

Contribute to D2

Default Augustana thinking D1?

http://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-talk...-tom-lee-hire/

Podcast about Augustana potentially going D1. Every one of these commentators thinks Augie is seriously considering a move to D1.

Some points mentioned
    -Move would be specifically for the Summit league.
    -Football is a top consideration and would not be discontinued ie Nebraska Omaha.
    -The pioneer conference being a top contender as a non-scholarship football conference.
    - Would be considered sooner rather than later.
    - Current budget is 10M, compared to 17M for USD and 20M for SDSU. Both more than those schools had when they went D1.

Default Re: Augustana thinking D1?

I have previously stated that if any current NSIC member made the move, it would most likely be Augustana. As they don't have the expense of Division I men's and women's hockey to deal with. Also, they are located in a well-populated area.

Quote Originally Posted by MStateMaverick View Post
    I have previously stated that if any current NSIC member made the move, it would most likely be Augustana. As they don't have the expense of Division I men's and women's hockey to deal with. Also, they are located in a well-populated area.
    But they don't have any advantages over NSIC schools. None. And if you say otherwise, you'll be scolded. :)

All this Summit league and non scholarship D1 football is enough to make me ill. The Summit is an unstable league. The Horizon non scholly league stretches from NY to CA. There is much to be said for the stability of the NSIC. If more teams keep moving to D2 and watering it down, I could see NSIC splitting to a stronger-weaker team league.
    Last edited by vikingfaithful; 04-11-2018 at 09:46 PM. Reason: let my emotions get the best of me

Quote Originally Posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    All this Summit league and non scholarship D1 football is enough to make me ill. The Summit is an unstable league. The Horizon non scholly league stretches from NY to CA. There is much to be said for the stability of the NSIC. If more teams keep moving to D2 and watering it down, I could see NSIC splitting to a stronger-weaker team league.
    For something like this I'd, personally, love the emotional view. This is kind of a big deal.

I have been thinking about that part too. Who replaces Augie in the NSIC? Do we roll with an awkward 15 teams? Do we split to one seven and one eight team conference?

What I have always feared is an all-minnesota conference. I am more so guessing it will be more of a have and have not split. Between facilities and mostly scholarships/mainly football.

Fargo guy on Bison 1660 was going off on Sioux Falls and how they have been stewing and rehashing and have nothing else to talk about but this D1 thing. However, he is a moron. If there is one time I will cover the backside of Sioux Falls it is in dealing with these braindead Bison fans. (Not all, just most I have had to meet.)

Quote Originally Posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    Who replaces Augie in the NSIC? Do we roll with an awkward 15 teams? Do we split to one seven and one eight team conference?

What I have always feared is an all-minnesota conference. I am more so guessing it will be more of a have and have not split. Between facilities and mostly scholarships/mainly football.
    I'm personally opposed to Augie leaving but they won't be asking me my opinion. I've talked to a couple of people about this.

Black Hills and SD Tech are too far west. Kearney is pretty far for most schools besides Wayne. No one in North Dakota to add. Wisconsin has no D2 football teams. That leaves Iowa. Morningside doesn't seem to have any interest in returning. Which other schools there have the potential to move up? One name that I heard was Grand View. Private Lutheran school of about 2000 nicknamed the Vikings. They have won the NAIA national championship in football and in wrestling seven times. They are located in Des Moines so they are in a major market.

I haven't heard anything about a team dropping out besides AU so all we can do is speculate.

Would love to see Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan, Tech was a member until the early 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Umdfan35 View Post
    Would love to see Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan, Tech was a member until the early 80's.
    I remember when Tech was in the NIC. And when UMD was in the MIAC!

What about a 3-pod system of sorts?

Quote Originally Posted by wsuguy87 View Post
    But they don't have any advantages over NSIC schools. None. And if you say otherwise, you'll be scolded. :)
    I will, so I won't.:)

I would imagine a major concern of Augustana administrators in considering a move up is whether the market for Division I is already saturated with two institutions already at that level? (In South Dakota)
    Out of personal curiosity, is non-scholarship football at the Division-I level about the same caliber of athletes as at a good Division 2 program? I've never seen a team from that category play, so I have no idea.
    Last edited by MStateMaverick; 04-12-2018 at 06:53 PM. Reason: qualifying words

Quote Originally Posted by MStateMaverick View Post
    I will, so I won't.:)

I would imagine a major concern of Augustana administrators in considering a move up is whether the market for Division I is already saturated with two institutions already at that level? (In South Dakota)
    Out of personal curiosity, is non-scholarship football at the Division-I level about the same caliber of athletes as at a good Division 2 program? I've never seen a team from that category play, so I have no idea.
    It's so hard to make that determination. Something I've done for years in my spare time is review signing classes at all levels. I'll look at the awards the signees have received, along with their game tape and measurables (size and athletic abilities). In my opinion pioneer level guys fall in the average of the preferred fcs walk on. (Ie they were not offered athletic money at the fcs level but were guaranteed a roster spot).

These types of guys seemed to be highly sought after at the d2 level. I feel a top echelon nsic squad could hang with a middle tier pioneer team. But San Diegos team that won a fcs playoff game would beat mankato handily.
    Last edited by tman28; 04-13-2018 at 04:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tman28 View Post
    These types of guys seemed to be highly sought after at the d2 level. I feel a top echelon nsic squad could hand with a middle tier pioneer team. But San Diegos team that won a fcs playoff game would beat mankato handily.
    I was at the NSDSU playoff win over San Diego the week after they had upset Cal-Davis or Cal-Poly- whichever one had suffered some terrible injuries. Tough for them to play in a tough Fargo environment- had some pretty decent athletes, just not enough to beat the Bison.

I also saw SDSU pound on Butler a few years ago. Butler wasn't very good. I think Drake would be in the same boat.

Until I hear or read any credible evidence that Augustana is pondering a move to D1, I will not believe any of it. The 9 team Summit league needs AU more then AU needs the Summit league. Also, it would not surprise me if NDSU goes full fledge D1 in the near future as in FBS for football. The MAC would be a great fit for the BISON.

Until I hear or read any credible evidence that Augustana is pondering a move to D1, I will not believe any of it. The 9 team Summit league needs AU more then AU needs the Summit league. Also, it would not surprise me if NDSU goes full fledge D1 in the near future as in FBS for football. The MAC would be a great fit for the BISON.
    On the contrary, most of the voices on the radio have been speaking to the point of how they don't believe Augie makes sense and don't really want them, other than a close contest.

Also, the rumors are that IF NDSU goes FBS it would not be the MAC. They claim it isn't a fit and that NDSU has more funds and support and talent and would be looking somewhere more like maybe an all new Mountain West which is looking to have a shake up soon.

Again, just the messenger here delivering what Bison 1660 has poisoned my ears with.

On the contrary, most of the voices on the radio have been speaking to the point of how they don't believe Augie makes sense and don't really want them, other than a close contest.

Also, the rumors are that IF NDSU goes FBS it would not be the MAC. They claim it isn't a fit and that NDSU has more funds and support and talent and would be looking somewhere more like maybe an all new Mountain West which is looking to have a shake up soon.

Again, just the messenger here delivering what Bison 1660 has poisoned my ears with.
    Due to many Factors, NDSU is best suited at FCS ie Lack of population, need bigger stadium...

I think Augy to D1 b good. Sioux Falls big and growing! Augy has room to expand their already really good stadium!

Quote Originally Posted by Fan1 View Post
    Due to many Factors, NDSU is best suited at FCS ie Lack of population, need bigger stadium...

I think Augy to D1 b good. Sioux Falls big and growing! Augy has room to expand their already really good stadium!
    Augustana has high tuition, well over $30.000 a year. School would need to raise an additional ten million every year to be competitive, also no state aid like SDSU and USD.
    Will D1 bring in more students? Augie is a U. with an athletic dept, not vise versus. Also would need to add seating capacity at KO stadium. NSU with facilities coming and huge fan support may be in better fit for D1

Augustana has high tuition, well over $30.000 a year. School would need to raise an additional ten million every year to be competitive, also no state aid like SDSU and USD.
    Will D1 bring in more students? Augie is a U. with an athletic dept, not vise versus. Also would need to add seating capacity at KO stadium. NSU with facilities coming and huge fan support may be in better fit for D1
    Ha, maybe so but no way that happens. Maybe more realistic if we had a Mankato size city which is still 30 years away.

Ha, maybe so but no way that happens. Maybe more realistic if we had a Mankato size city which is still 30 years away.
    Aberdeen is already more populous than Brookings and Vermillion, besides Wolves nation runs from Groton to Gettysburg. Aberdeen is so close to 4Life's favorite fan base, that a football game at NSU would draw 30.000 easily with some good fights in the stands. Basketball games with the bunnies would always sellout. Someone explained on this board that athletes at NSU basically go to school for free through some formula, so scholarships would be easy to raise. If you think about it NSU would be as good of fit for D1 as AU.

Quote Originally Posted by North Ala Screwdriver View Post
    A rather interesting article. Many unknowns and risks for the administrators that would be making the ultimate decision.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast