Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Augustana thinking D1?

Contribute to D2

Default Re: Augustana thinking D1?

Quote Originally Posted by North Ala Screwdriver View Post
    Interesting. I didn't recall that they were in the NCC and didn't realize their enrollment was less than 2K.

The NCC was a very tough conference. I guess most of them are now DI.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    Augustana has high tuition, well over $30.000 a year. School would need to raise an additional ten million every year to be competitive, also no state aid like SDSU and USD.
    Will D1 bring in more students? Augie is a U. with an athletic dept, not vise versus. Also would need to add seating capacity at KO stadium. NSU with facilities coming and huge fan support may be in better fit for D1
    The no state aid aspect makes a transition like this particularly challenging.

I know most of the non-Augie fans on here think Augie's athletic department spends its days swimming in a Scrooge McDuck-like vault of gold coins, but the reality is that the athletic department and coaches essentially have to fundraise their budgets from scratch every single year. If I understand it correctly, South Dakota is one of two states that doesn't allow private schools to receive any state funding for athletics, so any money the athletic department raises comes from donors of varying types and degrees.

That's my understanding at least. So it's not like they already have a solid baseline of athletic department funding and simply need to ask for a few extra dollars from private resources. They would need to get even more funding from the private donors they're already tapping, or aggressively dig up new donors with deep enough pockets to make a major impact, both short-term and long-term.

Quote Originally Posted by UNALions View Post
    Interesting. I didn't recall that they were in the NCC and didn't realize their enrollment was less than 2K.

As of 2000, the conference included

Augustana (still Division II)
    Minnesota State (still Division II)
    Morningside (now Division III)
    Nebraska Omaha (now Division I)
    Northern Colorado (now Division I)
    North Dakota (now Division I)
    North Dakota State (now Division I)
    St. Cloud State (still Division II)
    South Dakota (now Division I)
    South Dakota State (now Division I)

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post

That's my understanding at least. So it's not like they already have a solid baseline of athletic department funding and simply need to ask for a few extra dollars from private resources. They would need to get even more funding from the private donors they're already tapping, or aggressively dig up new donors with deep enough pockets to make a major impact, both short-term and long-term.
    And that is my question. How many new donors are out there, that are not already contributing to the two current D-1s in South Dakota? Or current donors to Augustana that are willing to give enough more to make a move up viable? Maybe there are, and maybe they can maintain attendance and increase it to Division-I levels. But as article mentions, that is difficult to predict.
    I personally don't care either way if Augustana moves to Division-I or not, but I can see how this has long-term implications and risks.

I know most of the non-Augie fans on here think Augie's athletic department spends its days swimming in a Scrooge McDuck-like vault of gold coins, but the reality is that the athletic department and coaches essentially have to fundraise their budgets from scratch every single year. If I understand it correctly, South Dakota is one of two states that doesn't allow private schools to receive any state funding for athletics,
    I thought that this was a picture of you! My question is, if SD is one of two states that doesn't allow private schools to receive state funding for athletics- why would ANY state allow public money to go athletics? I wouldn't be very happy if my tax money was going to pay for the St. John's or St. Thomas programs, for example.

I know most of the non-Augie fans on here think Augie's athletic department spends its days swimming in a Scrooge McDuck-like vault of gold coins, but the reality is that the athletic department and coaches essentially have to fundraise their budgets from scratch every single year. If I understand it correctly, South Dakota is one of two states that doesn't allow private schools to receive any state funding for athletics, so any money the athletic department raises comes from donors of varying types and degrees.

You are correct about SD being one of two states not offering private schools financial aid. My tongue in cheek talk about NSU going D1 is only pointing out they are probably in better shape to move up then Augie. Of course USD and SDSU fund raise heavily in Sioux Falls and do not forget about U of Sioux Falls athletic budget coming from the same place. Raising another 10 million EVERY year would be a daunting task for Augustana. NOBODY from AU has even hinted that they want to go D1 in the near future. The talk is media and gossip driven.

Quote Originally Posted by UNALions View Post

Augustana was in the NCC since the mid 30's and the school struggled for winning seasons in D2 conference that won many national championships. In less then 20 year span from the 80' until the breakup of the NCC in the 90's N. Colorado won 2 football NC, same for NDSU and 1 for UND. Total enrollment at Augie is 2080.

Augustana was in the NCC since the mid 30's and the school struggled for winning seasons in D2 conference that won many national championships. In less then 20 year span from the 80' until the breakup of the NCC in the 90's N. Colorado won 2 football NC, same for NDSU and 1 for UND. Total enrollment at Augie is 2080.
    I would also add that as a whole, we've seen the gap between the old NCC schools and the schools that were already in the NSIC. Not every year in every sport, but it's at a fairly consistent level.

As you said, there's a long history for those schools at the Division II level. It's easy to forget that the NSIC has only been Division II since 1995, moving up from the NAIA. Competing on the national level, Winona MBB and Concordia VB have 11 of the conference's 20 national titles in team sports. The NCC Four have the other 9 titles, each of them winning at least 2 team titles in their 10 years in the NSIC.

My Two Cents:

Sanford health system in Sioux Falls is a big Augie backer...it is Kelby's dream (their CEO) for them to be in Div 1 and will not stop until it comes to be. Hence, the move to the Arena for basketball from a facilities standpoint. While MBB and WBB could make the move the flag ship sport of FB would be left in shambles in the Pioneer league as they are not going to be able to join the MVC (my opinion). While USF would lose the rivalry down the street for sports USF/Northern etc could benefit...this could be in some ways a good thing from a football and bb standpoint as Augie would try to recruit in BB in a different way and then in football they would be recruiting kids with no scholarships.

Quote Originally Posted by JackHandy View Post
    My Two Cents:

Sanford health system in Sioux Falls is a big Augie backer...it is Kelby's dream (their CEO) for them to be in Div 1 and will not stop until it comes to be. Hence, the move to the Arena for basketball from a facilities standpoint. While MBB and WBB could make the move the flag ship sport of FB would be left in shambles in the Pioneer league as they are not going to be able to join the MVC (my opinion). While USF would lose the rivalry down the street for sports USF/Northern etc could benefit...this could be in some ways a good thing from a football and bb standpoint as Augie would try to recruit in BB in a different way and then in football they would be recruiting kids with no scholarships.
    Kelby also has ties to MN. ST. U. (Mankato), he gifted the athletic dept. 5 million of his OWN money and admonished MSU to move up as well. Kelby's son Louis played football for AU a 6' 5" OL back around 2007- 2011. Still Kelby is all about Basketball frequently doing radio as a color commentator with voice of the Vikings Jeff Fylling who also works for Sanford. Despite Kelby's on air pleas for AU to go D1, I absolutely do not believe Augie will.

Kelby also has ties to MN. ST. U. (Mankato), he gifted the athletic dept. 5 million of his OWN money and admonished MSU to move up as well. Kelby's son Louis played football for AU a 6' 5" OL back around 2007- 2011. Still Kelby is all about Basketball frequently doing radio as a color commentator with voice of the Vikings Jeff Fylling who also works for Sanford. Despite Kelby's on air pleas for AU to go D1, I absolutely do not believe Augie will.
    It's so hard to say. Kelby has a lot of pull in sioux falls. I graduated with his son Joe and also know louie. Things seem to happen when kelby pushes for them. I think it will come down to the leadership at Augustana. It does interest me to see how this possible move would affect local recruiting here though.

[QUOTE=tman28;2202382]It's so hard to say. Kelby has a lot of pull in sioux falls. I graduated with his son Joe and also know louie. Things seem to happen when kelby pushes for them. I think it will come down to the leadership at Augustana. It does interest me to see how this possible move would affect local recruiting here though.[/QUO

You're a football guy tman, if Augie football would go non scholarship D1 recruiting would not change much. 30 scholarship for around 100 players is not a whole lot of money, academic money is where most of help comes from. Some recruits would love to say they are D1 and flying to California instead of a bus trip to Crookston would be inviting. Most likely the same kind of D2 students would be recruited. Despite Kelby's desire to push AU up to D1, I do NOT believe it will happen. Augie's football rivalry with USF is a lot of fun although, it's been one sided in favor of the Coo.

First off, that's what I have always said is Sioux Falls is certainly large enough (and growing) that there is more than enough funds waiting there, the problem is you have to capture the attention of the general public and being a private school, it could come with some trade offs. Like I've said, I feel this would be a high, public figure dream more than the Augieholics of the world.

On a completely off topic subject with no white house to put this. I was flipping through channels and saw some college women's bowling...um, if the NSIC has some that need to do something for the old Title IX, that seems pretty inexpensive...

Quote Originally Posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    First off, that's what I have always said is Sioux Falls is certainly large enough (and growing) that there is more than enough funds waiting there, the problem is you have to capture the attention of the general public and being a private school, it could come with some trade offs. Like I've said, I feel this would be a high, public figure dream more than the Augieholics of the world.

On a completely off topic subject with no white house to put this. I was flipping through channels and saw some college women's bowling...um, if the NSIC has some that need to do something for the old Title IX, that seems pretty inexpensive...
    Yea you did... 2018 National Champs! Anchor Down!

I think it is inevitable Augie moves up. The biggest boosters and administration wants it so it is going to happen. I would expect and announcement this summer. Yes, that soon. Going to happen.

I also think it SCSU will move up in 10 years by dropping football. That makes sense when you consider where hockey is for SCSU (all that matters now) and most SCSU football fans will be able to get their fix in Collegeville.

Crookston should got the Morris route but won't

16. Default Re: Augustana thinking D1?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    As of 2000, the conference included

Augustana (still Division II)
    Minnesota State (still Division II)
    Morningside (now Division III)
    Nebraska Omaha (now Division I)
    Northern Colorado (now Division I)
    North Dakota (now Division I)
    North Dakota State (now Division I)
    St. Cloud State (still Division II)
    South Dakota (now Division I)
    South Dakota State (now Division I)
    Morningside is NAIA, not D3.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandan View Post
    Morningside is NAIA, not D3.
    That's what I meant, oops.......

What is the cost of attendance at Augustana versus Northern State?

If Augie goes D1 it will be the death of the football program.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    What is the cost of attendance at Augustana versus Northern State?
    Augustana is $53K while NSU is $20K based on the tuition difference. Aug tuition is $40K. NSU's is $8K.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast