Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Millersville Football...back to the stone ages?

Default Re: Millersville Football...back to the stone ages?

Quote Originally Posted by shiplb54 View Post
    I played for coach Morgan. He is a hard worker. I watched him play at Bucknell and he helped out with my high school team, and then I had the honor to play for him at Ship as well. He will work as hard as any other coach in the PSAC. He will demand hard work and commitment both on the field and in the classroom from his athletes. He has the tools to create great young men. It will take some time to turn around the program, but he has what it takes.
    Give him two years and you will see a major difference. This man can coach.

I don't think they've ever hired a bad coach. The question is can they recruit on a thin budget?

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I don't think they've ever hired a bad coach. The question is can they recruit on a thin budget?
    He was the recruiting coordinator at Shippensburg for several years, in Shippensburg does not have a much better budget.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I think that's been the hardest adjustment for the past two coaches. Both came from two schools where there is a nearly endless supply of money for football (Northwestern and North Dakota). I recall Justin Lustig telling me how difficult that transition was for him coming from Ball State.

It's tough. D2 football is like MLB. How do the Pirates play with the Yankees? It might even be worse in the PSAC.

6. Default Re: Millersville Football...back to the stone ages?

Morgan is a players coach who will motivate his guys to compete day in and day out in practice and that turns into a competitive team on game day. As mentioned previously he already was getting good talent at Shippensburg on limited funds and he knows the Southeastern and Central PA area very well so his recruiting knowledge will help him with increasing the talent level at the Ville. I wonder if Coach Mac will allow him to poach any coaches away from Ship? As for Ship if I'm assuming Mac promotes former SU QB
    Jeff Tomasetti the new OC along with QB Coach and WR Coach while hiring someone to be the new recruiting coordinator and RB coach.

7. Default Re: Millersville Football...back to the stone ages?

I think this is a fine choice. Ship's track record for potent offense has been strong during Coach Mac's tenure and Morgan has had a key role. The Z-men, Zulli and Zapoticky, thrived under center.

The questions are...can Morgan recruit the kind of s-a's who prospered at Ship, and can he live with the never-ending scholarship limits imposed at the Ville for God knows how long?

Finally, Millersville found a skipper from within the PSAC. I believe this should have happened long ago. The winning season drought stands at 17. Gotta end soon. It's a program without an identity, maybe Morgan can establish one that hasn't occurred since the GAC era.

8. Default Re: Millersville Football...back to the stone ages?

Colby couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag...he was brutal. Breitbach was no better.

Millersville used to compete and yes, beat, the Blooms and WCUs and Ships and ESUs of the division during Carpenter's tenure. The well's been empty since.

9. Default Re: Millersville Football...back to the stone ages?

Quote Originally Posted by Ville8405 View Post
    I think this is a fine choice. Ship's track record for potent offense has been strong during Coach Mac's tenure and Morgan has had a key role. The Z-men, Zulli and Zapoticky, thrived under center.

The questions are...can Morgan recruit the kind of s-a's who prospered at Ship, and can he live with the never-ending scholarship limits imposed at the Ville for God knows how long?

Finally, Millersville found a skipper from within the PSAC. I believe this should have happened long ago. The winning season drought stands at 17. Gotta end soon. It's a program without an identity, maybe Morgan can establish one that hasn't occurred since the GAC era.
    What scholarship limits were imposed at the Ville? As long as its above 7 he will be able to recruit quality SA's to Millersville. In his tenure at Shippensburg he's never had more than 10 at his disposal and until maybe the last year or two it was regularly about 5-7 scholarships divided up. What he did do was find quality gems aka diamonds in the rough with good grades so they got academic money to offset the tuition and sprinkled in some football scholarship money to keep the cost down as much as possible.

10. Default Re: Millersville Football...back to the stone ages?

Quote Originally Posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
    What scholarship limits were imposed at the Ville? As long as its above 7 he will be able to recruit quality SA's to Millersville. In his tenure at Shippensburg he's never had more than 10 at his disposal and until maybe the last year or two it was regularly about 5-7 scholarships divided up. What he did do was find quality gems aka diamonds in the rough with good grades so they got academic money to offset the tuition and sprinkled in some football scholarship money to keep the cost down as much as possible.
    Well his press conference and introduction was uninspiring. He said he would work hard, but so does everyone else. I noticed one coach is already off the staff list. Try to fill that spot now, and install your offense during camp. It's not his fault, he has been dealt a bad hand.

Quote Originally Posted by SBR140 View Post
    Well his press conference and introduction was uninspiring. He said he would work hard, but so does everyone else. I noticed one coach is already off the staff list. Try to fill that spot now, and install your offense during camp. It's not his fault, he has been dealt a bad hand.

all support staff were let go, save the interim coach, but I don't even know his status right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ville8405 View Post
    Colby couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag...he was brutal. Breitbach was no better.
    WOW, I wondered how long it would be before Miles Gallagher showed up....!!!!

13. Default Re: Millersville Football...back to the stone ages?

Morgan is a players coach who will motivate his guys to compete day in and day out in practice and that turns into a competitive team on game day. As mentioned previously he already was getting good talent at Shippensburg on limited funds and he knows the Southeastern and Central PA area very well so his recruiting knowledge will help him with increasing the talent level at the Ville. I wonder if Coach Mac will allow him to poach any coaches away from Ship? As for Ship if I'm assuming Mac promotes former SU QB
    Jeff Tomasetti the new OC along with QB Coach and WR Coach while hiring someone to be the new recruiting coordinator and RB coach.
    I just heard from good source that it appears Tomasetti is leaving Shippensburg.

14. Default Re: Millersville Football...back to the stone ages?

Quote Originally Posted by PSACattack View Post
    I just heard from good source that it appears Tomasetti is leaving Shippensburg.
    I wonder if he left for Millersville OC job? Probably a combo of OC/QB Coach. In that case Ship would be pressed to find a interal hire who can fill that void this season permanently as their OL coach isn't a X and O's guy in the spread he's great at getting the best out of his olineman that's it IMO. Coach Mac is a defensive guy so he won't call plays it has to be a up and coming position coach in the PSAC east who already has recruiting ties in SEPA and Central PA. There's one person I'd recommend who is a position coach at another PSAC East school who I think would thrive under coach Mac as a OC. We'll see if he puts his name into the ring before I say a name lol.

it has to be a up and coming position coach in the PSAC east who already has recruiting ties in SEPA and Central PA.
    Speaking of recruiting, CALU was able to sign two players from MIDDLETOWN HS which is just up the pike from MU. I'm not going through all the lists but I'd be interested if anyone else was able to snap up some players while this chaos was happening.

Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Speaking of recruiting, CALU was able to sign two players from MIDDLETOWN HS which is just up the pike from MU. I'm not going through all the lists but I'd be interested if anyone else was able to snap up some players while this chaos was happening.
    Chaos is a good word, thanks to Athletic Director Gallagher. This is what happens when you let a young, inexperienced narcissist hold the reigns. School is out for the summer. Players are going home not knowing what's going on. With all the uncertainty of the program, I'm curious to know if any current players have bailed. And what about recruits? Gallagher waits until the 11th hour to make a HC change. That process, as noted by FightingScot82, is quite lengthy. I still wonder why this was started in February, rather than November. Then, 3 of the 5 finalists backed out of consideration. Your top guy, who is arguably an MU legend with a great resume', tells you to go pound salt! Two others follow suit.
    This whole thing has been so poorly handled. No talent, no money...no money, no talent. This disaster rests squarely on Gallagher's shoulders. Yet, for some reason, I don't think he cares.
    Hey CALUPA69, please go through the lists and let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by QBWR View Post
    Chaos is a good word, thanks to Athletic Director Gallagher. This is what happens when you let a young, inexperienced narcissist hold the reigns. School is out for the summer. Players are going home not knowing what's going on. With all the uncertainty of the program, I'm curious to know if any current players have bailed. And what about recruits? Gallagher waits until the 11th hour to make a HC change. That process, as noted by FightingScot82, is quite lengthy. I still wonder why this was started in February, rather than November. Then, 3 of the 5 finalists backed out of consideration. Your top guy, who is arguably an MU legend with a great resume', tells you to go pound salt! Two others follow suit.
    This whole thing has been so poorly handled. No talent, no money...no money, no talent. This disaster rests squarely on Gallagher's shoulders. Yet, for some reason, I don't think he cares.
    You mean CALU can't come up with 20 to 30 JUCO players, unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by QBWR View Post
    I'm going to assume that Folmar declined due to salary. That range should have been clear from the start. Breitbach was making $102,000. I'm also going to assume Folmar makes more than that at Elon. Sometimes its worth taking a pay cut for the job you want. Sometimes its not worth it.

The only other reason is that Folmar remembered that he'd have to hustle for any increase in scholarship funds. You don't do that at private schools.

No doubt. Elon went from dumpster fire to playoffs in Curt's first year. Those 'quick flips' catch a lot of peoples attention. Smart move staying put and waiting for a bigger fish. The Shepherd to the East rumors sure don't make it anymore attractive.

As of today, HC Morgan and (former) interim HC Sutjak are the only coaches listed on the staff directory.
    With most players gone until camp starts, it should make evaluating players real interesting. How soon before Morgan questions his decision? Hopefully, he made no promises or guarantees to that knucklehead Gallagher.
    Any of you Shipp guys heard anything about support staff? And what about Tomasetti? Are they giving him the OC job?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast