Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shepherd to PSAC for fall 2019?

Contribute to D2

Default Shepherd to PSAC for fall 2019?

From the Martinsburg local Sunday edition.

http://www.journal-news.net/sports/l...-for-shepherd/

Two interesting items from article

- That school to substitute for Shepherd could be Frostburg State, a member of the Capital Athletic Conference, which is losing two of its members in the fall. The university in Allegany County, Maryland, is in the midst of studying a possible rise to Division II from its current membership in non-scholarship Division III. “According to (Frostburg Athletic Director Troy) Dell, … the idea of adding FSU was received very favorably during the Mountain East Conference’s presidents meetings.”

- The longest trip Shepherd would face in the PSAC East would be about four hours. The Rams have just four of their 11 opponents in the MEC falling within those parameters, and three just barely. “Right off the bat, from a travel standpoint, it would be a better scenario,” Winbush (Shepherd Vice President for Athletics Chauncey Winbush) said, “and from a cost standpoint, too.”

Default Re: Shepherd to PSAC for fall 2019?

I used to say that I felt Shepherd would never leave the MEC and WVIAC before it. Now, I'm not so sure. The PSAC East looks pretty appealing from a financial standpoint. Not to mention ... Hello Shipp!

We wholeheartedly approve of this idea. And Ram Stadium would instantly become the coolest football venue in the PSAC East.

Last edited by jrshooter; 03-25-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Tough View Post
    I used to say that I felt Shepherd would never leave the MEC and WVIAC before it. Now, I'm not so sure. The PSAC East looks pretty appealing from a financial standpoint. Not to mention ... Hello Shipp!
    I'm surprised they want to leave being they have an open road to playoffs in foosball every season.

However, they would have much easier travel into Pennsylvania for away games.

Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    We wholeheartedly approve of this idea. And Ram Stadium would instantly become the coolest football venue in the PSAC East.
    I have never been there. What makes it so cool?

Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    I'm surprised they want to leave being they have an open road to playoffs in foosball every season.

However, they would have much easier travel into Pennsylvania for away games.
    I don't think it is good, in the long term, to be able to so easily dominate a league. Look what happened this year to them in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    It's very unique, Bart. If you're coming in from Hagerstown, you travel an iron bridge over the Potomac from Maryland into West Virginia on Route 480, and the stadium is right there, sunken to the left. And it's a gorgeous field and stadium. Has a big-game feel there.
    Last edited by jrshooter; 03-25-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    It's very unique, Bart. If you're coming in from Hagerstown, you travel an iron bridge over the Potomac from Maryland into West Virginia on Route 480, and the stadium is right there, sunken to the left. And it's a gorgeous field and stadium. Has a big-game feel there.
    I think having the stands right on top of the field and no track adds to the atmosphere of the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    They actually have fans in the seats as opposed to half empty dead stadiums like the PSAC.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    I don't think it is good, in the long term, to be able to so easily dominate a league. Look what happened this year to them in the playoffs.
    Have felt that way for years, if a team doesn't get much of a challenge how will they respond if they get to the playoffs? Although some of the MEC teams over the years have played Shep pretty tough (Glenville for one) there hasn't been a consistently strong rivalry program over the years.

But who knows, with the retirement of Coach Cater & his great program maybe we won't be as strong ...

They actually have fans in the seats as opposed to half empty dead stadiums like the PSAC.
    Yeah, having plenty of folks is pretty cool but just think if they would let us have lights!!

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    But what happen to them the year before?

If I am Shepherd I am staying in the Mountain East. But good luck in whatever decision they make.

Quote Originally Posted by Clydes 'N Rams View Post
    Have felt that way for years, if a team doesn't get much of a challenge how will they respond if they get to the playoffs? Although some of the MEC teams over the years have played Shep pretty tough (Glenville for one) there hasn't been a consistently strong rivalry program over the years.

But who knows, with the retirement of Coach Cater & his great program maybe we won't be as strong ...
    You're always going to have the advantage of a fairly strong pull from within the beltways. You're able to recruit from a whole different area. That's big.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    But what happen to them the year before?

If I am Shepherd I am staying in the Mountain East. But good luck in whatever decision they make.
    What has happened to them three times since 2010?

Quote Originally Posted by Clydes 'N Rams View Post

I'm wondering if his retirement was the catalyst for the AD to listen to the PSAC?

Why did he retire? I never heard any reason.

Do you think he would have gone along with a move away from a West Virginia based league?

I'm wondering if his retirement was the catalyst for the AD to listen to the PSAC?

Why did he retire? I never heard any reason.

Do you think he would have gone along with a move away from a West Virginia based league?
    I think Coach Cater just decided it was time to go. Remember, this wasn't a young guy leaving.

17. Default Re: Shepherd to PSAC for fall 2019?

What makes RAM Stadium so special...? Watch this brief game recap (2015 vs. Grand Valley State) and you will see. Jam packed stadium and the crowd reallly gets into it. Loud and fun games. The backdrop and scenery add to it. Watch for your self...Add the fans from the top PSAC schools and you’re pushing 6,000 per game easily.
    https://www.ncaa.com/video/football/...erd-highlights

18. Default Re: Shepherd to PSAC for fall 2019?

Or you can check out scenes (full game) from the 2015 Regional Championship Game. Slippery Rock @ Shepherd. Great/Best atmosphere in the PSAC/MEC.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf701fTOYQQ

19. Default Re: Shepherd to PSAC for fall 2019?

Also...Shepherd can and would start stealing top PSAC prospecfs as well while nothing would change with there current recruiting style.

I think from a travel and financial perspective this could make sense for Shepard. I still think the PSAC has too many teams, but if they aren’t eliminating, you have to add another to get back to an even number.

That said, I think this would instantly provide more credibility to the league. I also think you add more balance to the league as well.

On paper, when you look at the East and West, you then have an easy 6 teams every year that you are realistically thinking have shot to get into the playoffs.

East: West Chester, Shippensburg, and Shepard

West: IUP, Cal, and SRU

The league that West Florida plays in had (I think) 4 teams tied for first in the conference with 5-3 records. That’s balance and playing real good football. I would like for the PSAC to get to that point. You aren’t going to get to that point by beating up on the Cheyney’s and Millersville’s of the world.

For fans of all of the programs I mentioned, you have to accept that your playoff odds each year decrease, but you hope in the long run it makes the program(s) better suited to eventually go play for and win national championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast