Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: IUP Spring Ball begins today

Contribute to D2

Default Re: IUP Spring Ball begins today

I'm thinking more along the lines of what if Lenny blows his knee out Week 1.

2. Default Re: IUP Spring Ball begins today

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I'm thinking more along the lines of what if Lenny blows his knee out Week 1.
    Then it's time to stamp E.L.E. on the season. (Extinction Level Event)

I was just saying that Pietropola could do the mop up duty if you wanted to save a redshirt year for the frosh QBs.

Well, I'm sure they recruited both of these QBs to come here and play and be Lenny's heir. I'm sure that they must believe in their abilities. I would go with one of them in that scenario if practicable.

But I do concur with you that they likely will try and find a stopgap/non-disaster alternative QB on the transfer wire this summer. But you may not get a lot of quality if the only job description is to be Lenny's backup and take snaps when the outcome of a game has already been decided. I personally would just rather see them go with one of the incoming frosh QBs for this role if they feel like they are ready for such an assignment.

-

That's the Catch 22. Hard to lure a transfer to a D2 school to ride pine.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    That's the Catch 22. Hard to lure a transfer to a D2 school to ride pine.
    Maybe a Junior or Soph who will get some time this year, and be top guy in a year, to let the Freshman develop. Then again Hankins could have filled in last year, if he'd been able to handle his classes. I suppose one of the Freshman can do it in a worst case scenario - maybe one will be really good.

This is the tough part of a D2 school when it comes to having adequate recruiting and succession plans in place. It’s hard, nearly impossible actually, to do it at the skill positions.

The two freshmen they brought in this past year... One is the heir apparent likely. The other one won’t be here in two years. Good quarterbacks don’t stay sitting on the bench in one place for very long. Anybody that thinks IUP keeps both of those guys for 4 years is out of their mind. Whichever guy “loses the battle” next year is gone after the season.

I agree about a quarterback transfer. It would behoove them to get a guy suited for this level that’s got two years of eligibility remaining. You recruit him and say, “You’re going to back up this season, but next year you’re our guy.” That’s not out of the realm of possibility, but it’s certainly not easy to find that guy.

There’s guys out there just looking to play while finishing a degree. There’s guys looking to just simply go elsewhere. A lot of quarterbacks are buried on D1 depth charts and should have been D2 players all along. Those guys are out there, but you just have to find them.

The next element of that is how do you handle both of the incoming freshman sitting on the bench an extra year if you play a transfer? Neither will likely be happy. Then you risk both leaving. Or you risk them being unfocused, thus causing problems off the field or having trouble in the classroom. It’s tough.

As great as it is to say you can have a QB start for four years, I’m not sure having a redshirt freshman start behind center next year is the answer. Lenny Williams was a special and rare talent. Not everyone will bring that as a 19-20 year old.

This whole discussion though, especially looking to 2019 and beyond, is why they need to get done what they need to get done this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingo. Recruit two and one will be getting his release come January.

7. Default Re: IUP Spring Ball begins today

IUP has a superstar 5th year senior QB, 2 outstanding incoming freshmen recruits, and the possibility of adding an emergency transfer while Pietropola could fill that role, if necessary. It just needs to be managed. The rest is academic.

Has ADP still not caught up academically to return to the field? Last I saw he was still enrolled for the Spring 2018 semester...

Well looks like part of the crisis may be over as the NCAA just changed redshirting rules. Players can now play in 4 games while still retaining their "redshirt" year which means theoretically if both IUP freshman QB's are equally talented they can stagger their mop up duty time where neither plays more than 4 games allowing them both to be redshirt freshmen next season. One thing I dislike about that rule is if you have a kid who plays the last 4 games of the season, puts up gaudy numbers and breaks school rushing/passing records in their 4.5 years on the field to me you have to put an asterick next to their name as they got almost an extra half season of eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
    Well looks like part of the crisis may be over as the NCAA just changed redshirting rules. Players can now play in 4 games while still retaining their "redshirt" year which means theoretically if both IUP freshman QB's are equally talented they can stagger their mop up duty time where neither plays more than 4 games allowing them both to be redshirt freshmen next season. One thing I dislike about that rule is if you have a kid who plays the last 4 games of the season, puts up gaudy numbers and breaks school rushing/passing records in their 4.5 years on the field to me you have to put an asterick next to their name as they got almost an extra half season of eligibility.
    Man that is a huge change to the redshirt rules! Be curious to see where this leads on kids staying in school and staying at a school.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallst View Post
    Man that is a huge change to the redshirt rules! Be curious to see where this leads on kids staying in school and staying at a school.
    Exactly I honestly think that this change will lead to more transferring as kids will have tape for 4 games can transfer to another school and still have up to 3 years of eligibility remaining. The kids now have leverage with transferring as they've waived the rule stating student athletes need permission from their current schools to contact other institutions regarding possibly transferring to their school. If they aren't going to pay these kids at least let them have these leverage options to maximize their collegiate career experience.

Any change to basketball?

Did the NCAA give any insight into why they changed the red shirt rule?

Wait just a minute... I don’t think this impacts division 2. Every news release I’ve read clearly reads “D1 football players”

Quote Originally Posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
    Has ADP still not caught up academically to return to the field? Last I saw he was still enrolled for the Spring 2018 semester...
    Forget about ADP, that Ship has sailed. The 2 frosh are good enough to back up Lenny. Look for TE recruit to see plenty of reps if he matches his tape and credentials coming in. Hard to believe that kid didn't get FCS offers....Also due to purely numbers some of the DL recruits should get reps....

16. Default Re: IUP Spring Ball begins today

I see that the local edition today reported the demise of IUP's student newspaper The Penn as a print paper. It will be all digital come this fall. Shocking after 94 years.

-

17. Default Re: IUP Spring Ball begins today

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    I see that the local edition today reported the demise of IUP's student newspaper The Penn as a print paper. It will be all digital come this fall. Shocking after 94 years.
    -
    Shocking, I guess. Not surprising, however. In fact, I'm surprised the print version survived up until now. I have fond memories of coming out of class and seeing a stack of The Penn. Everybody picked one up. Kept students engaged with the happenings at the university and the world. I wonder if they are as engaged today.

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    Shocking, I guess. Not surprising, however. In fact, I'm surprised the print version survived up until now. I have fond memories of coming out of class and seeing a stack of The Penn. Everybody picked one up. Kept students engaged with the happenings at the university and the world. I wonder if they are as engaged today.

I remember reading The Penn. After Homecoming and IUPatty’s weekends you couldn’t get your hands on them. The big thing on campus was to check the police blotter section, especially after those weekends.

Wasn’t a bad student run newspaper. I knew some guys who were some of the sports writers for the paper.

People read it while I was there, but I’m not sure what content they were necessarily looking for.

-

I haven’t read a paper on paper in years.

But I guess students weren’t using the food coupons which is why I picked up the Penn back in the day....

-
    The next thing to go will be the IUP Magazine in my mail box. Society is slowly cutting the connections to us old farts.