Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wait til next year

Contribute to D2

Default Wait til next year

Looking at next season in the region. (The regional set up tends to overshadow conference affiliations for those teams that are truly contenders to win the region). Ferris State is likely to be ranked #1 in the country to start the season. They are losing significant talent, but with Hankins returning, they will be the presumed favorite. They are losing 4 of their top players in minutes played, however. The biggest losses are Cushingberry and King. They play a bunch of people, however, and you would expect the younger guys to be better next season than this season. I wonder, however, how long they will be holding on to their coach. I gotta believe that some decent lower level d1 looking to fill a vacancy would take a serious look at Bronkema.

Bellarmine will probably be ranked deservedly in the top 5 at the begining of the year. Entire front court should be returning. Losing two guards, but there are already clearly established and very good replacements, plus may be getting a fifth year senior in Jenkins. Really no reason to think that BU won't be as good next year, if not better, as they were this year.

Findlay is losing Sullivan and Kimbrough and at least one other starter. They are well coached and always competitive, but based only upon returning players, they don't look to be a threat to win the region.

LSSU is losing most of their scoring punch. Not looking for them to be a threat, again based only on returning players.

Indy would be another team returning quite a bit of talent, plus getting back a very good player who was out the whole season. Probably a team to watch.

Default Re: Wait til next year

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmoves View Post
    Looking at next season in the region. (The regional set up tends to overshadow conference affiliations for those teams that are truly contenders to win the region). Ferris State is likely to be ranked #1 in the country to start the season. They are losing significant talent, but with Hankins returning, they will be the presumed favorite. They are losing 4 of their top players in minutes played, however. The biggest losses are Cushingberry and King. They play a bunch of people, however, and you would expect the younger guys to be better next season than this season. I wonder, however, how long they will be holding on to their coach. I gotta believe that some decent lower level d1 looking to fill a vacancy would take a serious look at Bronkema.

Bellarmine will probably be ranked deservedly in the top 5 at the begining of the year. Entire front court should be returning. Losing two guards, but there are already clearly established and very good replacements, plus may be getting a fifth year senior in Jenkins. Really no reason to think that BU won't be as good next year, if not better, as they were this year.

Findlay is losing Sullivan and Kimbrough and at least one other starter. They are well coached and always competitive, but based only upon returning players, they don't look to be a threat to win the region.

LSSU is losing most of their scoring punch. Not looking for them to be a threat, again based only on returning players.

Indy would be another team returning quite a bit of talent, plus getting back a very good player who was out the whole season. Probably a team to watch.
    And USI with Wod will suck! (oops forgot to switch to one of my dozen other usernames and say it in some unintelligible manner!)

Seriously though, I think you left out Drury. They had a lot of young talent and one of the top coaches in the region. I think they make a lot more noise next year.
    Last edited by KnightStalker; 03-23-2018 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightStalker View Post
    And USI with Wod will suck! (oops forgot to switch to one of my dozen other usernames and say it in some unintelligible manner!)

Seriously though, I think you left out Drury. They had a lot of young talent and one of the top coaches in the region. I think they make a lot more noise next year.
    No seriously, what will USI have on the court next year? No bigs or pg; no body on bench to fill those. Mateo is okay but nothing sexy. Alex can but shouldn’t run pg. I imagine they will scramble to fill the voids. I don’t see next year anymore successful as this year; might actually be worse unless they pull rabbit out of hat with recruits. There is room for improvement in littles game but not sure that’s going to be the difference maker. Oh well.

4. Default Re: Wait til next year

GLVC back in charge next year. Wod of course will be flipping channels on his couch.

1. Bellarmine
    2. Ferris
    3. Drury
    4. Lewis (returning solid players and adding a hell of a player from Parkside)
    5-8. Does it really matter?

Quote Originally Posted by KnightStalker View Post

5. Default Re: Wait til next year

Unless Mike Mullins has a few good
    referrals to pass along to Wod, then we will be worse than this year. Stein and Little are the only 2 we can count on for production. Mateo doesn't hurt you but he is never going to be much of a scorer, he wasn't at the high school level either. So unless we add 3 thumpers, which would be a modern day miracle for Wod, this is another lost season in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by glvcpro View Post
    No seriously, what will USI have on the court next year? No bigs or pg; no body on bench to fill those. Mateo is okay but nothing sexy. Alex can but shouldn’t run pg. I imagine they will scramble to fill the voids. I don’t see next year anymore successful as this year; might actually be worse unless they pull rabbit out of hat with recruits. There is room for improvement in littles game but not sure that’s going to be the difference maker. Oh well.

Rumor has it that Hankins will be taking his talents to Xavier next year. I have heard it from several people. Bellarmine has to be the early favorite to host.

Quote Originally Posted by dabatl View Post
    Rumor has it that Hankins will be taking his talents to Xavier next year. I have heard it from several people. Bellarmine has to be the early favorite to host.
    Really? Didn’t think he was that talented.

8. Default Re: Wait til next year

Sadly, I look for a repeat at USI of the past several seasons. We will beat up on some small, underfunded and undersized schools and then be relegated to the 'wait till next year' positon that we have held since the mistake from Carbondale arrived. I sat through the hard 1980's and early 90's, but our current situation is worst. Back then, USI at least saw the problem and tried to fix it!

9. Default Re: Wait til next year

BU has 3 solid recruits coming in, having Cook a full year, BU should be in great shape next year.

Quote Originally Posted by dabatl View Post
    He is good enough to help any D1 team but I find it hard to believe that Xavier would be interested in him for one season, especially when he would have to sit out a year (unless the NCAA changes the transfer rule).
    If you doubt he could play at that level, he had 12 pts, 8 rebounds, and 2 blocked shots in 26 minutes against Michigan State.

11. Default Re: Wait til next year

He is good enough to help any D1 team but I find it hard to believe that Xavier would be interested in him for one season, especially when he would have to sit out a year (unless the NCAA changes the transfer rule).
    If you doubt he could play at that level, he had 12 pts, 8 rebounds, and 2 blocked shots in 26 minutes against Michigan State.
    He definitely has talent I just don’t think he’d have same success there; mid major program would be different story. Speaking of mid majors, I bet Julius rajala now wishes he stayed at Loyola Chicago instead of transferring to USI!
    Last edited by glvcpro; 03-24-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Speaking of D2 transfers to D1, Lewis transfer Max Struss led Depaul in scoring, almost 17 per game. Pretty much the same scoring as at Lewis.

13. Default Re: Wait til next year

Rajala had no choice as he was politely told to leave. And we quickly found out why because he was terrible.

He definitely has talent I just don’t think he’d have same success there; mid major program would be different story. Speaking of mid majors, I bet Julius rajala now wishes he stayed at Loyola Chicago instead of transferring to USI!

Speaking of D2 transfers to D1, Lewis transfer Max Struss led Depaul in scoring, almost 17 per game. Pretty much the same scoring as at Lewis.
    Yep, and also like at Lewis his shooting percentages weren't that great and he had barely more assists than turnovers. He's a high volume shooter.

Unlike at Lewis, though, he now has no chance to win. Winning the GLVC at Lewis in 2016 will be last time he ever wins anything unless he plays in a rec league at the Y in a few years.
    Last edited by DUPanther; 03-24-2018 at 03:07 PM.

15. Default Re: Wait til next year

Quote Originally Posted by bkingbroker View Post
    Rajala had no choice as he was politely told to leave. And we quickly found out why because he was terrible.
    I was just saying I bet he wished he was still part of the team now. He could’ve worked harder, had a better attitude, been a better teammate, etc. and just perhaps he could be apart of what they have become.

16. Default Re: Wait til next year

Great championship game going on.

He redshirted a year, so he is probably graduating....thus, not required to sit out.

18. Default Re: Wait til next year

If Rajala were there he would have been a cancer for them too!

19. Default Re: Wait til next year

He is a nice player but he got worked over defensively by Northern's bigs. He will struggle big time at Xavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawson View Post
    He redshirted a year, so he is probably graduating....thus, not required to sit out.

20. Default Re: Wait til next year

Quote Originally Posted by WestSideMafia View Post
    If Rajala were there he would have been a cancer for them too!
    Agree...but that was his choice. He could’ve choose to not be a cancer. I’m sure he regrets his decisions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast