Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Frostburg State to MEC?

Contribute to D2

Default Frostburg State to MEC?

Any other talk about this? I saw this online today. Rumors of Frosty going D2.

http://thebottomlinenews.com/fsu-ath...mountain-east/

Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

Sounds very interesting and favorable. What I found even more interesting was the comment about the MEC losing a program in w019.

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    Sounds very interesting and favorable. What I found even more interesting was the comment about the MEC losing a program in w019.
    Yes, I saw that and wondered who it was.

Ohio school??? I haven't heard anything, I'm just guessing.

This came from a Frostburg rep so its possible there w as a misunderstanding.

Frostburg would be a good replacement for either of the Ohio schools but particularly Urbana.

6. Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

Virginia Wise would be my bet if I had to place money on it. Previous talk about Urbana to the GLIAC but they are not ready to compete in either conference.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenontheHill View Post
    Virginia Wise would be my bet if I had to place money on it. Previous talk about Urbana to the GLIAC but they are not ready to compete in either conference.
    I highly doubt Wise would leave the MEC. My guess is probably Urbana leaving, maybe to the G-MAC.

More likely Urbana an/or NDC than Wise.

Like to trade Frostburg for Urbana!

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsnut View Post
    Like to trade Frostburg for Urbana!
    I think Urbana is in a better financial place now that they are a branch campus of Franklin, but that doesn't mean they are in a good place. The issues that lead them to have problems in the first place are still there.

Heads up Frostburg replacing Urbana is a no brainer. Frostburg is a much more stable university with much better financials, academics, sports facilities and sports teams. That said, I would like Urbana to stay but wouldn't be heart broken if they left.

11. Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

I don't know if it's more likely Urbana than NDC. I've been told that the GLIAC has expressed interest in both. Also, there were NDC to GMAC rumors a year or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Stea1th View Post
    I don't know if it's more likely Urbana than NDC. I've been told that the GLIAC has expressed interest in both. Also, there were NDC to GMAC rumors a year or so ago.
    If I remember correctly, most of the NDC to the GMAC rumors were from the fan level wishing it was so. Didn't the president of NDC come out and say that they had no intention of leaving the MEC and were very happy were they were at?

But as with Urbana, I'd trade Frostburg for them too. I want NDC to stay, but if they want to go, please do...pay your exit fee to the MEC and leave.

13. Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

Wow. Guess Frostburg may be willing to leave Salisbury behind in D3 after all.

Spoke to 2 different coaches at the MEC Basketball Tournament, and both told me that 4 schools are considering leaving.
    Shepherd to the PSAC, Notre Dame & Urbana to the GMAC, and Wise to the SAC. There should be something there when two different coaches from two different schools say the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by GSCfan1275 View Post
    Spoke to 2 different coaches at the MEC Basketball Tournament, and both told me that 4 schools are considering leaving.
    Shepherd to the PSAC, Notre Dame & Urbana to the GMAC, and Wise to the SAC. There should be something there when two different coaches from two different schools say the same thing.
    I've heard the NDC/Urbana to the GMAC for at least the last three years...the Shepherd interest in the PSAC has been around for a similar amount of time although it has been a while since I've heard it. The Wise to the SAC rumor is a new one.

There's a three year wait from the day a school applies to leave the MEC before they actually do. If the above four schools applied enmass today, they wouldn't actually be out of the conference until March 12, 2021.

I would say if a school was going to be out of the conference by 2019 as the statement from the Frostburg AD alleges, they would have had to applied to leave in 2016.

Given the 3 year waiting period before a team can actually leave the MEC, coupled with the inability of most people to keep a secret, I find it hard to believe the Frostburg AD's account. Maybe it was as simple as a misunderstanding about the date when the alleged defecting team would be out of the conference or maybe confusion about when Frostburg was being invited to join. Hard to believe a school, the MEC and the "new" conference could keep a pending move to another conference secret for almost two years!

Of course, we are all assuming the defecting team is joining a new conference...might be that they are just dropping or severely cutting back athletics. This is pure speculation but it could be Urbana dropping football as a cost saving measure and "dropping down" from a Full to an Associate member. In theory, this could leave a slot for a 12'th Full member that plays football...i.e. Frostburg.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 03-12-2018 at 09:41 PM.

SAC is a conference where each member is private, Christian institution. I don't think UVA-Wise fits that profile as an institution.. While they fit geographically, I don't see why the SAC would add a public institution. They don't seem to have an immediate need for another school so I don't see why they would make an exception for expansion.

I don't think the G-MAC is going to invite Urbana. I am sure they want in, but I don't see what they bring. The G-MAC is bringing in Tiffin this upcoming season. They can be a bit more selective in the expansion process. Is Urbana even church-affiliated anymore? Ashland recently turned down the G-MAC but stated that the time right now didn't work but they would re-evaluate in a couple of years.

17. Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    If I remember correctly, most of the NDC to the GMAC rumors were from the fan level wishing it was so. Didn't the president of NDC come out and say that they had no intention of leaving the MEC and were very happy were they were at?

But as with Urbana, I'd trade Frostburg for them too. I want NDC to stay, but if they want to go, please do...pay your exit fee to the MEC and leave.
    I consider rumors and fan/alumni wishes to be too completely different things. There were rumors that the there was some mutual interest between the GMAC and NDC. The president did at some point issue the standard denial and "we are proud members of the XXX conference" line which all presidents and ADs use even if they are contemplating a move. Of course, there has been fan and alumni discussion about this as well, which has no direct bearing on what the school may or may not do.

As far as administration, I have no idea what they are thinking right now. There have been rumors that the GLIAC has interest in both Urbana and NDC. While NDC once coveted an invite, I don't think it makes any sense at all now. Without the Ohio schools, I don't think administration would/should have any interest.

I do think that some are a little disheartened that the MEC did not appear to show any interest in any of the Ohio schools that eventually went to the GMAC. At the time that the GMAC was making moves, it seemed like the MEC was more interested in making sure that WJU added football.

A friend from a GMAC school and I recently had a discussion about the make up of the MEC and the GMAC. They are really the mirror opposite of each other. One is essentially a WV conference with two remote Ohio schools. The other is essentially an Ohio conference with two remote WV schools. Maybe the two conferences should consider a trade. Urbana and NDC for AB and Davis and Elkins. All four are private schools, so the GMAC's private school preference shouldn't be a hindrance, nor should the MEC desire to keep a balance between public and private. When we had the discussion, there was no talk of Frostburg, so Davis and Elkins lack of football seemed like a major hindrance. However, if you add Frostburg, the MEC stays at 12 football schools. Add another non-football school like UDC and you have a 14 team conference in WV, VA, MD and DC. That's a pretty nice footprint. The GMAC stays at whatever number it currently is and makes their future expansion easier, as you take away the need/desire for WV expansion.

The Shepherd to the PSAC rumors have been around a long time.

The PSAC will add somebody due to Cheyney (finally) dropping football. The conference now has an uneven number between the East/West.

Shepherd would certainly be the 'splash' acquisition (football-wise) and also a logical geographic fit. They would have instant geographic rivals with Shippensburg, Bloomsburg, etc., and be a tremendous addition to the conference.

There are also some other names being floated through the rumor mill.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    The Shepherd to the PSAC rumors have been around a long time.

The PSAC will add somebody due to Cheyney (finally) dropping football. The conference now has an uneven number between the East/West.

Shepherd would certainly be the 'splash' acquisition (football-wise) and also a logical geographic fit. They would have instant geographic rivals with Shippensburg, Bloomsburg, etc., and be a tremendous addition to the conference.

There are also some other names being floated through the rumor mill.
    But there is that pesky 3 year waiting period before a MEC team can leave the conf. Would the PSAC, or any other conf be willing to wait for three years on a prospective member?

Seems like the members of the MEC came up with a pretty good way to avoid conf instability by limiting the ability of schools to jump at the first "bright shinny object" other conf's might dangle in front of them.

As to weather the MEC wanted to expand beyond 12, I don't think they did (or do). Certainly if they did, the WJ football fiasco squelched that momentum. But I always got the impression that the MEC was more focused on improving the quality of play across the spectrum of sports and teams as opposed to adding just to add. There were many issues that lead to the break-up of the WVIAC but one of the major ones was an inequality in commitment to sports by member schools as well as a disagreement on weather the conference should have a focus on competing nationally or a more local within WV focus. The schools that wanted equal commitment and national focus formed the MEC and those desires were/are what drives the conf...conf that is focused on competing on a national stage with all members committing to becoming better across the spectrum of conference sponsored sports. I don't think adding members just to become big was ever in in their DNA. I think so far that has worked quite well but as stock brokers say, past performance is not a guarantee of future success.

Quote Originally Posted by Stea1th View Post
    I consider rumors and fan/alumni wishes to be too completely different things. There were rumors that the there was some mutual interest between the GMAC and NDC. The president did at some point issue the standard denial and "we are proud members of the XXX conference" line which all presidents and ADs use even if they are contemplating a move. Of course, there has been fan and alumni discussion about this as well, which has no direct bearing on what the school may or may not do.

As far as administration, I have no idea what they are thinking right now. There have been rumors that the GLIAC has interest in both Urbana and NDC. While NDC once coveted an invite, I don't think it makes any sense at all now. Without the Ohio schools, I don't think administration would/should have any interest.

I do think that some are a little disheartened that the MEC did not appear to show any interest in any of the Ohio schools that eventually went to the GMAC. At the time that the GMAC was making moves, it seemed like the MEC was more interested in making sure that WJU added football.

A friend from a GMAC school and I recently had a discussion about the make up of the MEC and the GMAC. They are really the mirror opposite of each other. One is essentially a WV conference with two remote Ohio schools. The other is essentially an Ohio conference with two remote WV schools. Maybe the two conferences should consider a trade. Urbana and NDC for AB and Davis and Elkins. All four are private schools, so the GMAC's private school preference shouldn't be a hindrance, nor should the MEC desire to keep a balance between public and private. When we had the discussion, there was no talk of Frostburg, so Davis and Elkins lack of football seemed like a major hindrance. However, if you add Frostburg, the MEC stays at 12 football schools. Add another non-football school like UDC and you have a 14 team conference in WV, VA, MD and DC. That's a pretty nice footprint. The GMAC stays at whatever number it currently is and makes their future expansion easier, as you take away the need/desire for WV expansion.
    The swap you propose just isn't going to happen. Not because of the distaste some still have for AB but because of D&E's lack of a football program and generally low commitment to athletics. D&E also falls under the size threshold for MEC membership. You also proffer UDC as a MEC member...Again, no football program but beyond that, UDC is a soup sandwich up and down the line with MAJOR financial and academic problems so numerous that I can't even begin to list them! They make Cheyney look like a well oiled machine!!! Uhhhh...thanks...pass!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast