Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 134

Thread: Frostburg State to MEC?

  1. #101

    Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

    Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    Frostburg and Salisbury have been a sort of "package deal" in the past but I haven't heard that ref Frostburg moving to the MEC. Salisbury is pretty far from the MEC by themselves. For it to make sense, they would need to be part of a move by the MEC to 16 schools AND an additional MD (Bowie??) or perhaps PA team (Cal...Shippensburg??) joining. Couple that with two teams on the west side of the conference (Ashland? AB? Central? someone else?) and then break the conf into two divisions

    MEC East
    Fairmont
    Wesleyan
    Frostburg
    Shepherd
    Concord
    Shippensburg/Cal/AB
    Salisbury
    Bowie

    MEC West
    Notre Dame
    Urbana
    WLU
    WJ
    Glenville
    WV State
    Charleston
    Central/Ashland

    What would be the advantage for Bowie, Ship or even Cal to leave their current conference?

  2. Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

    Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    Could be true. But then the burning question is WHO is the Ohio school that has expressed interest in joining the MEC? I would think it would be a program that already sponsors the core MEC sports to include football (OR maybe one that has seriously expressed a desire to start football). I believe the GMAC faithful have discussed Ohio D3 programs interest in stepping up and joining the GMAC and as I recall, the general consensus was that there were no D3's interested in either starting football OR stepping up if they already had football. If that is the case and you also X out Central, that leaves an existing GMAC football playing school OR Ashland. So what is the consensus of the GMAC faithful on which GMAC school might have reached out to the MEC and expressed interest in joining??
    Ohio Dominican
    Last edited by UFOILERFAN; 05-16-2018 at 12:47 PM.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Indiana, Pa.
    Posts
    6,055
    Rep Power
    66563

    Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

    Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    Don't see that happening but it would certainly upset the apple cart!
    LOL .. yeah, I think they like being the 'Alabama' of D3.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    North Central WV
    Posts
    2,282
    Rep Power
    773

    Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

    Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    Could be true. But then the burning question is WHO is the Ohio school that has expressed interest in joining the MEC? I would think it would be a program that already sponsors the core MEC sports to include football (OR maybe one that has seriously expressed a desire to start football). I believe the GMAC faithful have discussed Ohio D3 programs interest in stepping up and joining the GMAC and as I recall, the general consensus was that there were no D3's interested in either starting football OR stepping up if they already had football. If that is the case and you also X out Central, that leaves an existing GMAC football playing school OR Ashland. So what is the consensus of the GMAC faithful on which GMAC school might have reached out to the MEC and expressed interest in joining??
    Which Ohio school? I have serious doubts that they would consider the move, but maybe Marietta? They are certainly in the MEC footprint and have football.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    11,485
    Rep Power
    86004

    Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

    Quote Originally Posted by ABjo View Post
    Which Ohio school? I have serious doubts that they would consider the move, but maybe Marietta? They are certainly in the MEC footprint and have football.
    From the Frostburg school paper about the MEC site visit in April. During the visit, the MEC Asst Commish said there were two WV schools and one OH school that had recently contacted the conference about joining. Seems pretty certain that one of the WV schools is AB with the other being unknown (Bethany??). The question is who is the Ohio school? Most GMAC observers in the not to distant past have ruled out any Ohio D3's being interested in jumping up to DII...Posters likewise have said that Central is "happy" with the SAC...That leaves either Ashland from the GLIAC or a current GMAC member. Question is, who?

    I note that during Ashland's Feb 2018 decision to stay in the GLIAC and not join the GMAC, the school president said:

    “We realize that competition is one of the main drivers that led to this decision. We do feel like the GLIAC keeps us in a more competitive, probably the most competitive conference within our region, so that was the main driver. We did not want to take a step back competition wise.”

    That was in Feb so it pre-dates the MEC vacancy/potential vacancy. Maybe Ashland, which obviously is considering leaving the GLIAC, looked at the MEC and it's success at the national level and decided they were a good fit "competition wise"?
    Last edited by boatcapt; 05-16-2018 at 01:33 PM.

  6. Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

    What about Cincinnati Christian? They are NAIA and offer football. The fit the current MEC membership criteria. Maybe the MEC is thinking of changing policy that you don't have to have football...think of the doors that would open for possibilities.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    11,485
    Rep Power
    86004

    Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

    Quote Originally Posted by D2 Sports Fan View Post
    What about Cincinnati Christian? They are NAIA and offer football. The fit the current MEC membership criteria. Maybe the MEC is thinking of changing policy that you don't have to have football...think of the doors that would open for possibilities.
    Ending football as a core sport...VERY doubtful. Just ended a five year long battle with WJ reference them starting a football program...doubt the MEC would suddenly end that requirement!

    CC would work for the MEC should they decide to jump up to DII...at least from a process standpoint. Don't know if they meet the other MEC expectations (core sports, similar commitment to athletics, have at least one sport that they are very good at, etc). I note their athletic site appears to have expired with the rights to it having reverted to Godaddy.com. That's not the best of signs!!
    Last edited by boatcapt; 05-16-2018 at 03:09 PM.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    10,199
    Rep Power
    45670

    Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

    Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    Ending football as a core sport...VERY doubtful. Just ended a five year long battle with WJ reference them starting a football program...doubt the MEC would suddenly end that requirement!

    CC would work for the MEC should they decide to jump up to DII...at least from a process standpoint. Don't know if they meet the other MEC expectations (core sports, similar commitment to athletics, have at least one sport that they are very good at, etc). I note their athletic site appears to have expired with the rights to it having reverted to Godaddy.com. That's not the best of signs!!
    Yeah, Cincinnati Christian would be a good fit ... for the GMAC. You think that adding a school in Cincinnati, Ohio is going to make the schools in West Virginia, particularly the Panhandle schools, very happy...
    www.facebook.com/RabsReporter
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

  9. #109
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    11,485
    Rep Power
    86004

    Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

    Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    Yeah, Cincinnati Christian would be a good fit ... for the GMAC. You think that adding a school in Cincinnati, Ohio is going to make the schools in West Virginia, particularly the Panhandle schools, very happy...
    It's not like Ohio is the other side of the continent! I don't recall any squawking from two of the "panhandle" schools...I would imagine it would be the same with additional OH schools being added. Maybe not CC in particular, but adding school(s) in OH as part of the MEC going to 16 teams. IF the MEC decided to do this it would be part of developing two divisions (East/West?) which would actually reduce driving distance.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 05-17-2018 at 10:41 AM.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Indiana, Pa.
    Posts
    6,055
    Rep Power
    66563

    Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

    Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    It's not like Ohio is the other side of the continent! I don't recall any squawking from two of the "panhandle" schools...I would imagine it would be the same with additional OH schools being added. Maybe not CC in particular, but adding school(s) in OH as part of the MEC going to 16 teams. IF the MEC decided to do this it would be part of developing two divisions (East/West?) which would actually reduce driving distance.

    Isn't that what Shepherd thinks, too?

  11. #111
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    11,485
    Rep Power
    86004

    Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Isn't that what Shepherd thinks, too?
    This is for those who believe the cost savings are ENORMOUS. As I've said, I think the savings between Shepherd in the MEC and Shepherd in the PSAC are very small. At 16 teams, you almost have to split into two divisions. As the PSAC is learning and trying to avoid by blatantly attacking the MEC, scheduling becomes very problematic above 12 and below 16. IF the MEC decided to fight fire with fire and feed on teams from other conferences, they would find the same dynamic to be true...13, 14, and 15 just don't work.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Indiana, Pa.
    Posts
    6,055
    Rep Power
    66563

    Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

    There's 0% chance of adding a PASSHE member.

    For message board sake that leaves Seton Hill, Mercyhurst and St. Thugs.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    11,485
    Rep Power
    86004

    Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    There's 0% chance of adding a PASSHE member.

    For message board sake that leaves Seton Hill, Mercyhurst and St. Thugs.
    Is their some by-law or law that restricts PASSHE schools from doing what they deem appropriate with their athletic programs? If so, did Cheyney have to get permission from the PASSHE to drop out of NCAA DII? Before that, did Mansfield have to get permission to drop football to the sprint level?

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    10,199
    Rep Power
    45670

    Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

    Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    Is their some by-law or law that restricts PASSHE schools from doing what they deem appropriate with their athletic programs? If so, did Cheyney have to get permission from the PASSHE to drop out of NCAA DII? Before that, did Mansfield have to get permission to drop football to the sprint level?
    I don't think there's anything official, but I don't think any changes have to be formally approved by PASSHE.
    www.facebook.com/RabsReporter
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Indiana, Pa.
    Posts
    6,055
    Rep Power
    66563

    Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

    Less than 0% chance they let a member of the state system join a different conference. Never happening.

  16. #116
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    11,485
    Rep Power
    86004

    Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Less than 0% chance they let a member of the state system join a different conference. Never happening.
    SOOOOO...The PSAC can expel a member OR a school can voluntarily leave, but they can NEVER join another conference.

    Aren't there PASSHE schools that are associate members in several non PSAC sports?? So I guess the secret PASSHE rules allow for teams to be associate members of another conference?

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Indiana, Pa.
    Posts
    6,055
    Rep Power
    66563

    Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

    Associate members in non-PSAC sports are quite different. We both know that much.

    As for the MEC poaching Cal ... lol. Good luck with that one.

    There's so much union b.s. within the PASSHE ... none of them are ever voluntarily joining another conference.

    The only (slim) chance of adding one would be one of the privates -- Seton Hill, Mercyhurst, UPJ or St. Thugs.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    11,485
    Rep Power
    86004

    Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Associate members in non-PSAC sports are quite different. We both know that much.

    As for the MEC poaching Cal ... lol. Good luck with that one.

    There's so much union b.s. within the PASSHE ... none of them are ever voluntarily joining another conference.

    The only (slim) chance of adding one would be one of the privates -- Seton Hill, Mercyhurst, UPJ or St. Thugs.
    What do employee unions have to do with athletic conference alignment?

    Cheyney has left the PSAC. Did the union "approve" that?? Did the PASSHE???

    Big difference between can't and won't. Can't says there is a rule or law in place...won't is a matter of choice.

  19. #119

    Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

    They didn’t leave voluntarily. They do not sponsor enough sports to remain in NCAA D2 as they have no money.

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Indiana, Pa.
    Posts
    6,055
    Rep Power
    66563

    Default Re: Frostburg State to MEC?

    Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    What do employee unions have to do with athletic conference alignment?

    Cheyney has left the PSAC. Did the union "approve" that?? Did the PASSHE???

    Big difference between can't and won't. Can't says there is a rule or law in place...won't is a matter of choice.
    Lol ... you're reaching.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •