Thread: OT: High School Brawl

Contribute to D2

Default OT: High School Brawl

http://tribhssn.triblive.com/clairto...ketball-brawl/

Kudos to the WPIAL. That's handled much better than the PSAC and it's 'triple secret probation'.

Default Re: OT: High School Brawl

Can't disagree with the penalties, though they are strong. If you're a kid with parents who work, they may never see you play a home game again.

It's difficult to see from the videos, but looks like the Clairton player threw the first punch.

WPIAL kicked the punishment down the road. Regardless if who started the fight, both sides engaged in a bench clearing maylee.

Both teams should have have lost eligbility for post season play.

The conduct is unacceptable for high school sports and both schools got off lightly.

Hold the line on player conduct, coach responsibility and sportsmanship. None of those attributes were preserved in the WPIAL decision.

Clairton has had a few episodes in recent years.

I've never seen bleachers closer to the court. Incredible.

How close the bleachers are to the court does not excuse the player conduct nor the coaches responsibility to control their players.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP Ebbs View Post
    WPIAL kicked the punishment down the road. Regardless if who started the fight, both sides engaged in a bench clearing maylee. Both teams should have have lost eligbility for post season play.
    The conduct is unacceptable for high school sports and both schools got off lightly.
    Hold the line on player conduct, coach responsibility and sportsmanship. None of those attributes were preserved in the WPIAL decision.
    Agreed. There should be stronger penalties immediately for the individuals involved. Instead, and it seems it always happens like this, the penalties end up impacting players and others in the future who had nothing to do with the incident. I didn't see the brawl. Sounds to me like there should be criminal charges filed. No?

I hesitate to go the criminal route. Unless there was premeditated intent to start the fight. Didn't see it that way. Just adolescent hotheads who lost self control and coaches who didn't exert control.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP Ebbs View Post
    How close the bleachers are to the court does not excuse the player conduct nor the coaches responsibility to control their players.
    Dang, boss, chill out a bit.

It's not the first basketball fight. It certainly won't be the last.

1 player from each school threw a punch and got in a fight.... It only turned into a brawl when the fans all came on the floor.

I think the WPIAL did the right thing on the 5 year probation because "the brawl" is on each school's community.
    Fans of Clairton, could have been parents(I don't know) were throwing punches at Monessen's #2. Video is out there on twitter.

Also, would have been fine if both got DQ'd for rest of season too.
    Remember Clairton at the end of the 2014 football championship throwing their helmets off the turf and trying to start a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Dang, boss, chill out a bit.

It's not the first basketball fight. It certainly won't be the last.
    There is nothing to chill out about. This is a personal conduct type issue. Either you condone the behavior, or you don't. I do not. I believe the conduct was unacceptable and
    should have stronger consequences than a mere 5 year probation. Future violations matter little here. The people involved in this fight need to be held accountable and bear the responsibility for their actions. Not future players.

The bleacher seating close to the court is nothing new. Plenty of games are payed without incident with close bleachers. Just another attempt to deflect responsibility and avoid repercussions. Not buying the argument, nor the "excuse".

The WPIAL decision to me says they are condoning the behavior, and are communicating to all others that you can engage in physical fights as part of the sporting event without serious repercussions. WPIAL is setting a precedent, and it is not a favorable one for the league, its players, coaches and families.

The Post-Gazette had a far better video. The fight was just the icing. It was brewing from the opening tip. Officials need to issue warnings, technicals and ejections. They let the game get way out of hand. The scene could have been prevented.

That said, those are tough towns. They aren't the suburbs. You disrespect those kids and it's on. They are wired differently and grow up differently. Of course, now they have to pay a little bit.

Look at their role models. There's fights in the NBA every week. The behavior in the NFL is embarrassing. MLB has a bench-clearing dust-ups near weekly. D1 and D2 college basketball has already had numerous similar brawls this year. There were several in WPIAL football games this year.

To me, the better question is how you prevent them from happening in the first place. The IUP/Gannon brawl this year ... never, NEVER should have happened. The PSAC's punishment ... total joke ... and, way weaker than what the WPIAL just did.

Sports brawls have been going on as long as sports have been played. They will continue to go on, too, until they can get better at putting out the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    The Post-Gazette had a far better video. The fight was just the icing. It was brewing from the opening tip. Officials need to issue warnings, technicals and ejections. They let the game get way out of hand. The scene could have been prevented.

That said, those are tough towns. They aren't the suburbs. You disrespect those kids and it's on. They are wired differently and grow up differently. Of course, now they have to pay a little bit.

Look at their role models. There's fights in the NBA every week. The behavior in the NFL is embarrassing. MLB has a bench-clearing dust-ups near weekly. D1 and D2 college basketball has already had numerous similar brawls this year. There were several in WPIAL football games this year.

To me, the better question is how you prevent them from happening in the first place. The IUP/Gannon brawl this year ... never, NEVER should have happened. The PSAC's punishment ... total joke ... and, way weaker than what the WPIAL just did.

Sports brawls have been going on as long as sports have been played. They will continue to go on, too, until they can get better at putting out the fire.
    Agree on many points.

How do you prevent is key, and where do you start to establish "right" from "wrong" behavior. Before high school would be preferable. In high school at the latest. Parents and communities play a LARGE role in shaping this.

Coming from a tough neighborhood is not justification to accept this behavior. Those players in the NFL, NBA, MLB. and other leagues are role models, as are many social media and entertainment sources. Too much physical violence inside them all and it impacts what we all view as acceptable behavior. If it glamorized or condoned (outwardly or though lack of correct), many will follow it as a trait to emulate.

We are all disrespected at some time. The key is how you respond to it. Resorting to violence because you are, or perceive to be, disrespected is not acceptable.

Don't misinterpret or twist what i am trying to say here. I support competition and aggressive play on the field, court, arena, etc. Just keep it in bounds, and as part of the game. What we witnessed in this high school basketball setting went way beyond acceptable.

Interesting comments from one of the superintendents in today's Trib.