Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT - UNK to drop baseball, men's tennis, and men's golf.

Contribute to D2

Default OT - UNK to drop baseball, men's tennis, and men's golf.

Default Re: OT - UNK to drop baseball, men's tennis, and men's golf.

Some Missouri schools could follow suit. Missouri higher education facing big budget cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan88 View Post
    Some Missouri schools could follow suit. Missouri higher education facing big budget cuts.
    Title IX to blame as well. With 34 kids on the roster and only 11.7 scholarships allowed in D2 baseball (ie, their baseball team has the equivalent of 22 kids paying to be there), I guarantee you there was a bigger "bang for the buck" savings in one of the women's sports than there is in the baseball program.

4. Default Re: OT - UNK to drop baseball, men's tennis, and men's golf.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan88 View Post
    Just a few days ago in the Kansas City Star there was a guest commentary on the editorial page and the headline was "Sacred cows: Missouri must close campuses". The piece was written by Art Jago a professor at the College of Business at the University of Missouri. It talked about the huge budget cuts to higher education proposed by Governor Eric Greitens (R) on top of a big cut made last year. The author Art Jago makes the case that with a state the size of Missouri, there is simply no justification for having 13 public (supported by state tax) four-year colleges and universities. Those would be the four campuses in the UM System: The University of Missouri (Columbia), The University of Missouri-St. Louis, The University of Missouri-Kansas City and Missouri University of Science and Technology (Rolla). Then I came up with the rest of the state supported universities: Missouri State University (Springfield), Southeast Missouri State (Cape G.), Tuman State (Kirksville), University of Central Missouri (Warrensburg), Missouri Southern State University (Joplin), Missouri Western State University (St. Joseph), Northwest Missouri State University (Maryville) and that only totals 11 so who are the other two? Is Lincoln University (Jeff City) in that group?

The same problem may exist in Kansas. With a population about half of that of Missouri's, it is quite difficult to justify it's six state-funded universities: KU, K-State, Hays, Emporia, Pitt, and that's only five, who am I leaving out? Is Washburn state supported? The author states "Perhaps the model to emulate is our northern neighbor, Iowa. With a population about the same as Kansas, it has three state-supported universities". Those would be the University of Iowa, Iowa State and I guess The University of Northern Iowa.

Since 2011, the U.S. has seen the number of public colleges and universities decline by 30. Through closure or merger, Georgia has taken the lead in this downsizing its 14 college to seven. Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and Oregon are considering similar actions. I wonder how many state supported colleges there are in Oklahoma and Nebraska that could be facing a similar situation.

The bottom line is this; not only are colleges going to lose sports programs, but we are possibly facing the future closure or merger of schools in the MIAA. I wonder if that future is closer than we realize.
    Last edited by Kiss My Ass; 02-12-2018 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss My Ass View Post
    Just a few days ago in the Kansas City Star there was a guest commentary on the editorial page and the headline was "Sacred cows: Missouri must close campuses". The piece was written by Art Jago a professor at the College of Business at the University of Missouri. It talked about the huge budget cuts to higher education proposed by Governor Eric Greitens (R) on top of a big cut made last year. The author Art Jago makes the case that with a state the size of Missouri, there is simply no justification for having 13 public (supported by state tax) four-year colleges and universities. Those would be the four campuses in the UM System: The University of Missouri (Columbia), The University of Missouri-St. Louis, The University of Missouri-Kansas City and Missouri University of Science and Technology (Rolla). Then I came up with the rest of the state supported universities: Missouri State University (Springfield), Southeast Missouri State (Cape G.), Tuman State (Kirksville), University of Central Missouri (Warrensburg), Missouri Southern State University (Joplin), Missouri Western State University (St. Joseph), Northwest Missouri State University (Maryville) and that only totals 11 so who are the other two? Is Lincoln University (Jeff City) in that group?

The same problem may exist in Kansas. With a population about half of that of Missouri's, it is quite difficult to justify it's six state-funded universities: KU, K-State, Hays, Emporia, Pitt, and that's only five, who am I leaving out? Is Washburn state supported? The author states "Perhaps the model to emulate is our northern neighbor, Iowa. With a population about the same as Kansas, it has three state-supported universities". Those would be the University of Iowa, Iowa State and I guess The University of Northern Iowa.

Since 2011, the U.S. has seen the number of public colleges and universities decline by 30. Through closure or merger, Georgia has taken the lead in this downsizing its 14 college to seven. Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and Oregon are considering similar actions. I wonder how many state supported colleges there are in Oklahoma and Nebraska that could be facing a similar situation.

The bottom line is this; not only are colleges going to lose sports programs, but we are possibly facing the future closure or merger of schools in the MIAA. I wonder if that future is closer than we realize.
    Lincoln and Harris Stowe are other 2 Missouri schools.

I agree. Let's start with the University of Missouri. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    The funny thing is, the author of that article advocates for closing other schools to give MU more funding. However, talk to legislators in Jeff City and the first (and for most the only) example they give or focus on for cutting funding is all the misuse of funds at MU.

I saw this on twitter and headed over here hoping for some clarity. First thing that came to mind was Title IX. Unfortunate, not offering college baseball seems like a huge minus to the university. Interesting discussion about the consideration of consolidating/closing campuses. Is Washburn state funded? Pitt and FH are so geographically isolated compared to Emporia (proximity to Wichita and Topeka) and Washburn (MHK, Lawrence) it’s hard to say how they’d partner?

Tough day to be a Loper. Suprised to find that UNK currently has more sports than all the other public universities in the conference.

Feel for all those athletes that will not have their sport to play here anymore. I do appreciate the university honoring their scholarships for as long as they stay at UNK though. Wish them all the best whatever they choose to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss My Ass View Post

Not the first time something like this has been proposed. It's certainly one possibility and very drastic. Missouri also needs to start looking at consolidating public school districts as well, similar to what Iowa did. It's a taboo discussion, especially NW Missouri.

Brandon's realignment may not be as far fetched as it seems.
    Last edited by CatFan88; 02-13-2018 at 07:37 AM.

11. Default Re: OT - UNK to drop baseball, men's tennis, and men's golf.

I wonder what the break down is on out of state kids attending NWMS with it being so close to Nebraska and especially Iowa. My cousin lived in Iowa and went to NW and said it was far cheaper to pay out of state tuition at NW than pay in state tuition in Iowa. This was many, many years ago, so I'm making the assumption that it still holds true (correct me if that's no longer the case). He often heard people in Iowa refer to NWMS as Southwest Iowa University and joke about all the Iowa kids going to college in Maryville.

Could someday NWMS and MO WEST be consolidated or one of them get closed up. The same could possibly happen to say UCM & UMKC or Missouri State & Mo South, I hope not, but who knows.

Would like to hear from those in Nebraska and Oklahoma and know if these same issues are in play in their areas.
    Last edited by Shanghai Mule; 02-13-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Good day to be a (Privately funded) Lindenwood Lion!

I'm just kidding.....

This sucks. Hate seeing sports cut, but sometimes it's necessary.

Honestly, I think LU would do well to dial back the amount of sports they sponsored. Currently at 25 NCAA sanctioned sports, and like 1 million student life sports. But the truth is, the multitude of sports offered at LU played a huge role in their growth over the last 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Mule View Post
    I wonder what the break down is on out of state kids attending NWMS with it being so close to Nebraska and especially Iowa. My cousin lived in Iowa and went to NW and said it was far cheaper to pay out of state tuition at NW than pay in state tuition in Iowa. He often heard people in Iowa refer to NWMS as Southwest Iowa University and joke about all the Iowa kids going to college in Maryville.

Could someday NWMS and MO WEST be consolidated or one of them get closed up. The same could possibly happen to say UCM & UMKC or Missouri State & Mo South, I hope not, but who knows.

Would like to hear from those in Nebraska and Oklahoma and know if these same issues are in play in their areas.
    There are 7 public colleges and universities in Nebraska 4 in the University system and 3 in the state college system. They are UNL, UNO, UNK, UNMC and for the state college Wayne, Chadron and Peru. UNMC is the medical college that support all of the medical disciplines for all 3 of the universities. It does not have sports and other activities like the other universities. We have a population of 1.93 million. We also have 16 private colleges and universities and 8 community colleges. I would say our market looks saturated, but as far as geographics go, if we pulled a college it would probably have to be Peru or Wayne as Kearney and Chadron serve the central and western half of our state. I did not look at specific programs offered for any of the schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Mule View Post
    I wonder what the break down is on out of state kids attending NWMS with it being so close to Nebraska and especially Iowa. My cousin lived in Iowa and went to NW and said it was far cheaper to pay out of state tuition at NW than pay in state tuition in Iowa. He often heard people in Iowa refer to NWMS as Southwest Iowa University and joke about all the Iowa kids going to college in Maryville.

loper11 reported 7 state supported colleges and universities in Nebraska and I counted about 15 state supported colleges and universities in Oklahoma.

Hate to see UNK dropping baseball, golf, and tennis, but as someone already pointed out it probably has a lot to do with Title IX requirements and shrinking budgets. But the deeper problem has also been pointed out about there maybe being to many colleges and universities for taxpayer money to support.

15. Default Re: OT - UNK to drop baseball, men's tennis, and men's golf.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsig50 View Post
    Good day to be a (Privately funded) Lindenwood Lion!

I'm just kidding.....

This sucks. Hate seeing sports cut, but sometimes it's necessary.

Honestly, I think LU would do well to dial back the amount of sports they sponsored. Currently at 25 NCAA sanctioned sports, and like 1 million student life sports. But the truth is, the multitude of sports offered at LU played a huge role in their growth over the last 20 years.

Privately funded or not, I think Lindenwood and Lincoln should somehow merge and become The L&L University Blue Lions. (chuckle..chuckle)
    Last edited by Kiss My Ass; 02-13-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

My response to the Jago commentary was published a day or two later:

Mizzou problems
    I agree with Art Jago — the University of Missouri at Columbia should be shut down. (Feb. 8, 13A, “Sacred cows: Missouri must close campuses”)

Oh, wait, that’s not exactly what he said. However, his comments make about as much sense. His argument to close other universities just because MU is sometimes seen as foundering, is, at best, unconvincing. It could more easily be maintained that the Columbia campus is in need of financial trimming, with the funds distributed to schools that are more successful.

I can appreciate that he was employed at the Columbia campus and that he has deep ties to and love for the university. However, attacking other campuses is not the way to find solutions to MU’s problems.

Stuart Bintner

I say they start by whacking UMKC and UMSL and merging Missouri S&T with MU. Then we can talk about the rest of the state supported universities. How about that, Dr. Jago.

I've always have a hard time understanding the financial situations of a University. During my time at NW the tuition literally doubled from about $84/credit hour to around $170 something a credit hour. NW should have been rolling in dough. Looks like it is $319 today. I don't get it at all. Something is rotten in Denmark. Has state funding changed that much in 20 years? Simple inflation sure is not the answer. Demand? If there is demand, why would U's need to close?

I do think easy money from the federal government by mostly easy access to virtually unlimited student loans has allowed the U's to go unchecked in their costs for tuition.

It's unfortunate that this discussion has reared its ugly head again and that higher education continues to bear the brunt of budget shortfalls. It will be interesting to see how NW and other institutions respond if the proposed budget cuts go through.

I can only imagine what the consolidation of schools impact it would have on local communities. For instance, what would happen to NW, if in fact they did merge with MoWest. Would everything then move down to St. Joe? I surely hope not. That would be a community killer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast