Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOU signing day

Contribute to D2

Default WOU signing day

http://www.wouwolves.com

Wondering about the QB position ...

Default Re: WOU signing day

The site often leaps out of this page and I can't get back to it, very odd. They need to put it on the main stories page or under football. I can no longer access it.

3. Default Re: WOU signing day

FIVE Washington kids? WOU actually might stand a chance now! hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
    FIVE Washington kids? WOU actually might stand a chance now! hahaha
    If they're as good as the dozens of small high school kids from Oregon who have made an impact in Monmouth -- Boss, Peilla, Revis, Avgi -- more power to them. So far the success rate for WOU going north of the border has been sketchy at best. A lot haven't risen up through the depth charts, and many more have left, i.e., Braxton, he of his UW dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    If they're as good as the dozens of small high school kids from Oregon who have made an impact in Monmouth -- Boss, Peilla, Revis, Avgi -- more power to them. So far the success rate for WOU going north of the border has been sketchy at best. A lot haven't risen up through the depth charts, and many more have left, i.e., Braxton, he of his UW dreams.
    Tim, I disagree. While WOU has had big name success with Oregon HS kids, they have had a lot of soldi performances form WA kids, maybe just no the big names.

OR is not big enough in HS football to only recruit there.

Quote Originally Posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    Tim, I disagree. While WOU has had big name success with Oregon HS kids, they have had a lot of soldi performances form WA kids, maybe just no the big names.

OR is not big enough in HS football to only recruit there.
    In D2, you can recruit Oregon and small parts of Washington or NorCal and be fine. Look at the all-conference selections the last 5- to 10-years and you'll see a pretty strong trend towards Oregon kids and few Washington kids.

In D2, you can recruit Oregon and small parts of Washington or NorCal and be fine. Look at the all-conference selections the last 5- to 10-years and you'll see a pretty strong trend towards Oregon kids and few Washington kids.
    2017 All GNAC First Team

CA 13
    WA 10
    OR 3
    HI 1
    IL 2

2016 All GNAC First Team
    CA 15
    WA 7
    OR 4
    HI 1
    IL 1
    Manitoba 1

As a note, Revis was first team twice in 2016 and 2017, as a WR and PR. So he alone accounts for 4 of the seven OR kids making All GNAC.

2017 All GNAC First Team

CA 13
    WA 10
    OR 3
    HI 1
    IL 2

2016 All GNAC First Team
    CA 15
    WA 7
    OR 4
    HI 1
    IL 1
    Manitoba 1

As a note, Revis was first team twice in 2016 and 2017, as a WR and PR. So he alone accounts for 4 of the seven OR kids making All GNAC.

Clarification, I was talking about all-GNACers from WOU -- not other schools, last year's 2017 WOU all-conference players:

Paul Revis -- only first-team offensive guy -- Scappoose, Oregon.
    Bo Highburger -- only first-team defensive guy -- Veneta, Oregon.
    Zach Suarez -- WR -- Cali JC/Sacramento
    Michael Klugle -- DL -- 2nd team defense, Aloha, Oregon
    Bryson Dizon -- OL -- 2nd team offense, Portland
    Tyler Johnson -- LB -- 2nd team defensive, Eugene
    Nathan Jones -- 2nd team DB defense -- big town of Scio
    Brad Christensen -- OL -- Honorable mention, Snoqualmie -- first Washingtonian checking in
    Nick Duckworth -- QB -- HM -- Arizona
    Keoni Piceno -- WR -- HM -- Hawaii

Talking about WOU guys, not CWU guys -- the formula at WOU has always been quality Oregon kids. I could keep going down these all-conferene teams for years and years and prove it to you. A few years ago I was ripped for saying they need to get into Southern Oregon more, they did so this year. I stand by my theory.
    Last edited by tsull; 02-08-2018 at 12:04 PM.

Clarification, I was talking about all-GNACers from WOU -- not other schools, last year's 2017 WOU all-conference players:

Paul Revis -- only first-team offensive guy -- Scappoose, Oregon.
    Bo Highburger -- only first-team defensive guy -- Veneta, Oregon.
    Zach Suarez -- WR -- Cali JC/Sacramento
    Michael Klugle -- DL -- 2nd team defense, Aloha, Oregon
    Bryson Dizon -- OL -- 2nd team offense, Portland
    Tyler Johnson -- LB -- 2nd team defensive, Eugene
    Nathan Jones -- 2nd team DB defense -- big town of Scio
    Brad Christensen -- OL -- Honorable mention, Snoqualmie -- first Washingtonian checking in
    Nick Duckworth -- QB -- HM -- Arizona
    Keoni Piceno -- WR -- HM -- Hawaii

Talking about WOU guys, not CWU guys -- the formula at WOU has always been quality Oregon kids. I could keep going down these all-conferene teams for years and years and prove it to you. A few years ago I was ripped for saying they need to get into Southern Oregon more, they did so this year. I stand by my theory.
    Thanks for the clarification.

I like WOU's Oregon First approach. My thoughts are that you cannot just recruit OR, and WA is a natural reach for WOU. OR has a population of a little over 4MM. WA has 7.3MM. It is just a matter of math. I know they have had some kids from WA that didn't pan out; how many OR kids don't pan out?

Thanks for the clarification.

I like WOU's Oregon First approach. My thoughts are that you cannot just recruit OR, and WA is a natural reach for WOU. OR has a population of a little over 4MM. WA has 7.3MM. It is just a matter of math. I know they have had some kids from WA that didn't pan out; how many OR kids don't pan out?
    All I know is the two NFL guys from WOU were from Oregon small towns, the best player last year and this year is from an Oregon small town; two others guys with NFL tryouts were from Grants Pass and Knappa, Oregon. The All-American linebacker prospect for next year's team is from Veneta, Oregon ... and the majority of WOU's best players over the years have been from Oregon, mostly small towns in Oregon. If this was the Pac-12, I'd say yeah, you can't do an Oregon-first/Oregon-only approach. They've had some solid players from California, Hawaii, and Washington; but the star players have been from Oregon. Of course out of 41 recruits it's not always going to be in-state, but outside of QB Bergman, I can barely remember standout Washington kids. I think they've had more success out of Hawaii than Washington. I remember some Washington DB's getting torched like no tomorrow the past couple years.

I'm sure I'll hear about my opinions, I usually do ... don't care. I can go back a decade on the all-conference teams and prove my theory is correct. I remember a Blaine Bennett assistant coach telling me at a post-game function that they wanted to get out of Oregon and start recruiting the Tri-Cities more. Uh, OK, name a great Tri-Cities player ... of course the coach was originally from the Tri-Cities. Then I heard one year, I think Bennett staff said they needed to get into the Payette/Fruitland/Weiser area of Idaho to recruit, there were a bunch of missing gems there. WRONG! I live near there and South Salem or Sprague High would beat those teams 50-10.

I like the staff, I think they do a great job ... I also believe they out-think themselves sometimes on the recruiting trail. Who can forget Mr. Malik Braxton, his dad barking about not enough scholarship money and eventually he's going to take his talents to the UW. Haven't heard a word from him since.

CWU gets the top line D2 players in Washington, WOU is often left with the guys CWU didn't want, meaning an Oregon kid might be better than those guys.

Again, I stand by my theory until proven wrong. If this year's all-GNAC team is full of WOU Washington kids, I'll correct myself.

It's yet to happen.

All I know is the two NFL guys from WOU were from Oregon small towns, the best player last year and this year is from an Oregon small town; two others guys with NFL tryouts were from Grants Pass and Knappa, Oregon. The All-American linebacker prospect for next year's team is from Veneta, Oregon ... and the majority of WOU's best players over the years have been from Oregon, mostly small towns in Oregon. If this was the Pac-12, I'd say yeah, you can't do an Oregon-first/Oregon-only approach. They've had some solid players from California, Hawaii, and Washington; but the star players have been from Oregon. Of course out of 41 recruits it's not always going to be in-state, but outside of QB Bergman, I can barely remember standout Washington kids. I think they've had more success out of Hawaii than Washington. I remember some Washington DB's getting torched like no tomorrow the past couple years.

I'm sure I'll hear about my opinions, I usually do ... don't care. I can go back a decade on the all-conference teams and prove my theory is correct. I remember a Blaine Bennett assistant coach telling me at a post-game function that they wanted to get out of Oregon and start recruiting the Tri-Cities more. Uh, OK, name a great Tri-Cities player ... of course the coach was originally from the Tri-Cities. Then I heard one year, I think Bennett staff said they needed to get into the Payette/Fruitland/Weiser area of Idaho to recruit, there were a bunch of missing gems there. WRONG! I live near there and South Salem or Sprague High would beat those teams 50-10.

I like the staff, I think they do a great job ... I also believe they out-think themselves sometimes on the recruiting trail. Who can forget Mr. Malik Braxton, his dad barking about not enough scholarship money and eventually he's going to take his talents to the UW. Haven't heard a word from him since.

CWU gets the top line D2 players in Washington, WOU is often left with the guys CWU didn't want, meaning an Oregon kid might be better than those guys.

Again, I stand by my theory until proven wrong. If this year's all-GNAC team is full of WOU Washington kids, I'll correct myself.

It's yet to happen.
    OK, I won't argue with you regarding your thoughts,and that wasn't my intent. The fact is that all GNACers have a heavy slant towards CA and WA kids. OR kids, not as much.

You provide a few scenarios that do reflect a reality. I jsut htink overall, you need to recruit both states. I know of an all GNAC LB that went to Humboldt and was a WA HS kid. What does that mean? Should Humboldt not have recruited him?

I think you are missing my point

Until you provide evidence otherwise, I stand by theory....

OK, I won't argue with you regarding your thoughts,and that wasn't my intent. The fact is that all GNACers have a heavy slant towards CA and WA kids. OR kids, not as much.

You provide a few scenarios that do reflect a reality. I jsut htink overall, you need to recruit both states. I know of an all GNAC LB that went to Humboldt and was a WA HS kid. What does that mean? Should Humboldt not have recruited him?

I think you are missing my point

Until you provide evidence otherwise, I stand by theory....
    I'm saying what works for WOU. The Washingtonians I've watched over the years have been not better -- and usually worse -- than the Oregonians on the team. I'll go back a decade of rosters if you'd like. To be honest, a lot of kids from Washington have sucked.

I'm ONLY speaking for WOU, not the GNAC, not Humboldt, not other schools. I'm not sure why that's so confusing here.

I'm saying what works for WOU. The Washingtonians I've watched over the years have been not better -- and usually worse -- than the Oregonians on the team. I'll go back a decade of rosters if you'd like. To be honest, a lot of kids from Washington have sucked.

I'm ONLY speaking for WOU, not the GNAC, not Humboldt, not other schools. I'm not sure why that's so confusing here.
    Not confusing at all.

Certainly, WOU has had some fine small school kids do well. My premise is simply that you cannot rely totally on small town kids from Oregon. There just isn't enough population.

You have based your stance on a few kids that washed out. Of the 30 or so kids that will enter WOU next year, I would be surprised if ten made it through 4/5 seasons. It is also that way at every school. To limit yourself as you state would be foolish for recruiting, especially given the location of WOU.

Don't carry such a chip on your shoulder.

Not confusing at all.

Certainly, WOU has had some fine small school kids do well. My premise is simply that you cannot rely totally on small town kids from Oregon. There just isn't enough population.

You have based your stance on a few kids that washed out. Of the 30 or so kids that will enter WOU next year, I would be surprised if ten made it through 4/5 seasons. It is also that way at every school. To limit yourself as you state would be foolish for recruiting, especially given the location of WOU.

Don't carry such a chip on your shoulder.
    It's not all small town kids, it's also Eugene, Salem, Portland, Portland suburbs, Medford/Ashland/Grants Pass areas that need to be recruiter harder and better, IMO. Also, speaking of retention, WOU has a much better retention rate with the Oregon kids than the out-of-state kids.

The Cali/Washington kids change over so much it's mind boggling.

It's not a chip on my shoulder, it's my assessment/analysis of recruiting. I know because we're so-called "small college" here that we're supposed to be all sunshine and lollipops, take what's given to us by our administration/coaches, etc., because usually the media isn't paying attention. No one not only covers WOU sports, no one even asks questions about it. Why is it wrong to question how things are done? My opinion is they spend a lot of time/energy/money on a ton of out-of-state kids who don't pan out.

If the Oregon kids didn't quit dominating all-GNAC teams for WOU, I'll change my tune. But it's like that every ... single ... year. It's such a huge trend, I'm surprised others haven't noticed it.

2016 All-GNAC, 14 Wolves named 1st/2nd or honorable mention, 3 from out of state, 11 in-state; GNAC defensive lineman of the year from Tigard, Oregon.

http://www.wouwolves.com/news/2016/1...?path=football

2015, 14 Wolves honored by the GNAC -- 10 from Oregon:

http://www.gnacsports.com/gnac/news/...ce-selections/

A serious question for you Tim, with Hermiston's move to the WIAA would you consider them in state or out of state in next year's recruiting? They will be the defending Oregon 5A champs, but in Washington. That's two state champs for the MCC, 3 in the last 2 years so it could be a brutal season.

If the Oregon kids didn't quit dominating all-GNAC teams for WOU, I'll change my tune. But it's like that every ... single ... year. It's such a huge trend, I'm surprised others haven't noticed it.
    This cherry picked quote (on my part) is like saying "I kissed the best looking cousin at the family reunion".

OR kids should be the majority of WOU's all GNAC selection, as WA kids should be the dominate all GNAC selections for CWU. I am talking about on a larger GNAC scale.

While OR should dominate the GNAC selections for WOU, the fact remains that as a whole, OR kids represent a smaller subset of the all GNAC selections, as shown in my post above. Granted, I only used first team. I did this as the selections beyond that, in my mind, become diluted because of only having 5 GNAC teams. Simply put, OR is going to produce fewer GNAC selections simply because of it being a smaller population area.

This cherry picked quote (on my part) is like saying "I kissed the best looking cousin at the family reunion".

OR kids should be the majority of WOU's all GNAC selection, as WA kids should be the dominate all GNAC selections for CWU. I am talking about on a larger GNAC scale.

While OR should dominate the GNAC selections for WOU, the fact remains that as a whole, OR kids represent a smaller subset of the all GNAC selections, as shown in my post above. Granted, I only used first team. I did this as the selections beyond that, in my mind, become diluted because of only having 5 GNAC teams. Simply put, OR is going to produce fewer GNAC selections simply because of it being a smaller population area.
    I agree with this, but in WOU's case the Washington kids have not been the top players in Monmouth. I'll keep posting all-conference selections from WOU, it's a long look, not a cherry pick. Every year their best players are from Oregon. They're not getting the best Washington kids.

If they could get a Ryan Bergman QB every year from the state of Washington, I'd do it. So far that hasn't been the case. I did like out-of-state QB's Duckworth (Arizona) and Philip (Alaska). The roster doesn't have to be 100% Oregon, but I believe, more Oregon ... we are, after all, an Oregon institution.

I might stand corrected, according to Oregon live.com (Oregonian), WOU killed it in instate recruiting. Then again, proves my point on importance of in-state recruiting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast