Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WOU signing day

Default Re: WOU signing day

Congrats to WOU and its recruiting success! Tim, your a legend as always enjoyable to see you sweep out the trash!

For level, Western Oregon football outperforms Ducks, Beavers with 2018 in-state recruiting

http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting...art_river_home

Quote Originally Posted by JackoftheGNAC View Post
    Congrats to WOU and its recruiting success! Tim, your a legend as always enjoyable to see you sweep out the trash!

For level, Western Oregon football outperforms Ducks, Beavers with 2018 in-state recruiting

http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting...art_river_home
    I'm not upset with the class, it's large 41, with I'm guessing more to come. It's interesting to analyze these things and sorry, but WOU gave me an education to question things and wonder how things work. I took a lot of classes in college that told me to question what's put in front of you, so I've done that.

Let's look at another level. I'm a WSU football fan. For awhile they decided to hit the talent-rich state of Florida for athletes, with mixed results at best. The last 3 recruits have been two talented receivers who quit with 2 years of elibility remaining (both got into trouble on the team), and a third, a touted QB, transferred out. A quick analytical study shows Florida isn't a great recruiting ground for the Cougars and I believe they didn't sign anyone from that state this year.

A quick 10-year study of WOU football players shows that around 70-80 percent of their all-GNAC selections (or even All-American choices) have been from Oregon. One can simply dismiss these truths, or look at it closer and see where they're getting the most bang for their bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    I'm not upset with the class, it's large 41, with I'm guessing more to come. It's interesting to analyze these things and sorry, but WOU gave me an education to question things and wonder how things work. I took a lot of classes in college that told me to question what's put in front of you, so I've done that.

Let's look at another level. I'm a WSU football fan. For awhile they decided to hit the talent-rich state of Florida for athletes, with mixed results at best. The last 3 recruits have been two talented receivers who quit with 2 years of elibility remaining (both got into trouble on the team), and a third, a touted QB, transferred out. A quick analytical study shows Florida isn't a great recruiting ground for the Cougars and I believe they didn't sign anyone from that state this year.

A quick 10-year study of WOU football players shows that around 70-80 percent of their all-GNAC selections (or even All-American choices) have been from Oregon. One can simply dismiss these truths, or look at it closer and see where they're getting the most bang for their bucks.
    Adding onto this about WSU, both with Leach and with Mike Price some of their top talent has come from Eastern Washington with Cody O’Connell as one the most recent example. As I was researching the draft, I saw that Cappa for HSU is a draft sleeper for many sites. I'm glad that WSU doesn't just recruit Seattle in state, as there is a lot of talent that comes from the eastern half of the state with Bledsoe as likely the best Eastern Washington kid to ever play at WSU.

I'd also love to see WOU recruit more on the east side, as the #1 5A team going into the playoffs and the state champion both came from the east side. To not take a look at them since they aren't in the Valley would be crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat Khan View Post
    Adding onto this about WSU, both with Leach and with Mike Price some of their top talent has come from Eastern Washington with Cody O’Connell as one the most recent example. As I was researching the draft, I saw that Cappa for HSU is a draft sleeper for many sites. I'm glad that WSU doesn't just recruit Seattle in state, as there is a lot of talent that comes from the eastern half of the state with Bledsoe as likely the best Eastern Washington kid to ever play at WSU.

I'd also love to see WOU recruit more on the east side, as the #1 5A team going into the playoffs and the state champion both came from the east side. To not take a look at them since they aren't in the Valley would be crazy.
    WSU has done well state-wide, in addition to consencus All-American O'Connell, several fine players have come out of Spokane, QB's Bledsoe from Walla Walla, Rosenbach from Pullman, LB Will Derting from Okanagon, and so forth.

WOU has had some excellent players from Eastern and Central Oregon over the years. Schwartzlender of Burns, Oregon, was an all-conference d-lineman recently, very good.

Wouldn't this make sense statistically since about 70 to 80% of their roster each year is from OR?

You don't recruit to get all GNAC selections. You recruit to win football games.

Again, I like how WOU runs their program. My point is that I don't think you can solely recruit the state of OR and be as successful.

The reason I used the larger sample size of all schools in the GNAC as far as all GNAC selections is that you can easily see that the majority of the top players overwhelmingly come from WA and CA. That should be a telling fact. How you tailor your recruiting to ft that talent is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    Wouldn't this make sense statistically since about 70 to 80% of their roster each year is from OR?

You don't recruit to get all GNAC selections. You recruit to win football games.

Again, I like how WOU runs their program. My point is that I don't think you can solely recruit the state of OR and be as successful.

The reason I used the larger sample size of all schools in the GNAC as far as all GNAC selections is that you can easily see that the majority of the top players overwhelmingly come from WA and CA. That should be a telling fact. How you tailor your recruiting to ft that talent is the key.
    Roster is about 55% Oregon kids. Of course you don't recruit just all-GNAC kids, but that's a barometer of who one's best players are. The best WOU players -- and sorry, you need all-league kids to win -- are from Oregon, year after year. When you don't have all-league kids, you aren't good. In the Pac-12, guess who hardly had any all-league kids? Oregon State.

Roster is about 55% Oregon kids. Of course you don't recruit just all-GNAC kids, but that's a barometer of who one's best players are. The best WOU players -- and sorry, you need all-league kids to win -- are from Oregon, year after year. When you don't have all-league kids, you aren't good. In the Pac-12, guess who hardly had any all-league kids? Oregon State.
    If the majority of the kids are from OR, I would always expect the majority of their all GNAC selections to be OR kids.

I think where WOU struggles in recruiting outside of OR is which kids they go after. That seems pretty obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    If the majority of the kids are from OR, I would always expect the majority of their all GNAC selections to be OR kids.

I think where WOU struggles in recruiting outside of OR is which kids they go after. That seems pretty obvious.
    I disagree. One Salem recruit in this year's class, school is 15 miles away from the town that has 170,000 people and decent prep football talent. I'll let you guys worry about Prosser and Sunnyside; I'll worry about Salem.

I disagree. One Salem recruit in this year's class, school is 15 miles away from the town that has 170,000 people and decent prep football talent. I'll let you guys worry about Prosser and Sunnyside; I'll worry about Salem.
    Well, our state 4A player of the year chose the Naval Academy. Good for him! If he plays football for them, I know who'd I'd root for in the Army/Navy game beyond my uncle having served, my step sister having served, and my step brother currently serving in the Navy.

So now it's said WOU isn't getting the right in-state guys. So how are they supposed to lure a kid out of EWU or CWU? So basically the theory is: Only state of Washington kids are good players in the GNAC and you have to get the ones CWU (and EWU) are getting or you're sunk.

The all-conference guys from Oregon from WOU? They're just lucky and there aren't enough Washington kids on the WOU roster to make all-league ... uh, yeah, right. WOU has had more than enough kids from Washington to have their shot at all-conference; I'm not sure anyone from the state of Washington while playing for WOU has made first team all-GNAC. Maybe Bergman. And now I'm being told my stats are wrong. Uh, OK ... recruit 100 Washington kids on the WOU roster (which they can't afford) and let's see how this ends. A just above .500 program would quickly turn to SFU status.

11. Default Re: WOU signing day

So now it's said WOU isn't getting the right in-state guys. So how are they supposed to lure a kid out of EWU or CWU? So basically the theory is: Only state of Washington kids are good players in the GNAC and you have to get the ones CWU (and EWU) are getting or you're sunk.

The all-conference guys from Oregon from WOU? They're just lucky and there aren't enough Washington kids on the WOU roster to make all-league ... uh, yeah, right. WOU has had more than enough kids from Washington to have their shot at all-conference; I'm not sure anyone from the state of Washington while playing for WOU has made first team all-GNAC. Maybe Bergman. And now I'm being told my stats are wrong. Uh, OK ... recruit 100 Washington kids on the WOU roster (which they can't afford) and let's see how this ends. A just above .500 program would quickly turn to SFU status.
    SFU status. Really. You sure have a chip on your shoulder. When was the last time Western Oregon won a GNAC Conference Championship? When was the last time Western Oregon made the playoffs?

Sure SFU has struggled the last few years in football. But we sure are excelling in other Sports. The University is fully behind our coach Thomas Ford and his program. Which can't be said for some of the Universities in the GNAC. It's only a matter of time that your beloved Western Oregon team will no longer be able to pad their stats by leaving their starters in through the 4th quarter. At least Central Washington University and Azusa Pacific pulled their starters out after the first series in the third quarter.

Maybe you're worried about the success that Simon Fraser could achieve in football. How long has Western Oregon been playing NCAA D2 football? Like a poster said. " Simon Fraser is a sleeping giant. "

Since I've already used the reference Wanker. I'll call you Eeyore from the children's book Winnie the Pooh.

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Grill View Post
    SFU status. Really. You sure have a chip on your shoulder. When was the last time Western Oregon won a GNAC Conference Championship? When was the last time Western Oregon made the playoffs?

Sure SFU has struggled the last few years in football. But we sure are excelling in other Sports. The University is fully behind our coach Thomas Ford and his program. Which can't be said for some of the Universities in the GNAC. It's only a matter of time that your beloved Western Oregon team will no longer be able to pad their stats by leaving their starters in through the 4th quarter. At least Central Washington University and Azusa Pacific pulled their starters out after the first series in the third quarter.

Maybe you're worried about the success that Simon Fraser could achieve in football. How long has Western Oregon been playing NCAA D2 football? Like a poster said. " Simon Fraser is a sleeping giant. "

Since I've already used the reference Wanker. I'll call you Eeyore from the children's book Winnie the Pooh.
    You were already riled up so I figured I'd drop that. SFU status means going 0-18 the last two years and 0-24 the last 3, I believe. That's pretty awful, that's what SFU status is.

That said, I do like the hire ... but right now they're a very poor football program and Ford needs time to turn it around. SFU status means winless for multiple seasons.

13. Default Re: WOU signing day

You were already riled up so I figured I'd drop that. SFU status means going 0-18 the last two years and 0-24 the last 3, I believe. That's pretty awful, that's what SFU status is.

That said, I do like the hire ... but right now they're a very poor football program and Ford needs time to turn it around. SFU status means winless for multiple seasons.
    0-24 you are correct those are struggles. I'll take those struggles for a program on the rise. That has full support of the University and will become competitive and win at GNAC Conference title.

I most definitely will take those struggles. Rather then a team that has been stuck at best in mediocrity like Western Oregon. You are awful arrogant for an individual whose program has done nothing. Maybe it's the unknown that you're worried about I guess it'll sting when SFU Wins a Conference title before Western Oregon.

0-24 you are correct those are struggles. I'll take those struggles for a program on the rise. That has full support of the University and will become competitive and win at GNAC Conference title.

I most definitely will take those struggles. Rather then a team that has been stuck at best in mediocrity like Western Oregon. You are awful arrogant for an individual whose program has done nothing. Maybe it's the unknown that you're worried about I guess it'll sting when SFU Wins a Conference title before Western Oregon.
    We're not dominant but I believe 7 winning seasons in 10 years, which is solid. When SFU racks this up, get back to me. You should be flat-out ashamed of 0-24 before talking smack about what's mediocre and not. That's one of the worst marks in the history of collegiate football. Western Oregon is not Alabama, but has never, ever, ever been 0-24 in 100 years of sponsoring football. Try winning one game ... one single, stupid game, before talking GNAC titles.

15. Default Re: WOU signing day

We're not dominant but I believe 7 winning seasons in 10 years, which is solid. When SFU racks this up, get back to me. You should be flat-out ashamed of 0-24 before talking smack about what's mediocre and not. That's one of the worst marks in the history of collegiate football. Western Oregon is not Alabama, but has never, ever, ever been 0-24 in 100 years of sponsoring football. Try winning one game ... one single, stupid game, before talking GNAC titles.
    SFU has been a NCAA member since 2012 the transition has been positive across the board for athletics. Football has struggled with the transition and probably in hindsight should have hired a Thomas Ford candidate right away in 2012. How long has Western Oregon been a member? We almost got that win against your Western Oregon team losing 24 to 21. There will be drastic improvement this upcoming season.

There is not a University that can even compete with our academics and opportunities that we can provide for future recruits. And will become a focal point in recruiting.

I will take our struggles because eventually our program will get over that mountain. And won't be stuck in mediocrity like Western Oregon football. You might want to try and be more humble with that type of program and less arrogant.
    Last edited by Highway Grill; 02-14-2018 at 04:57 PM.

SFU has been a NCAA member since 2012 the transition has been positive across the board for athletics. Football has struggled with the transition and probably in hindsight should have hired a Thomas Ford candidate right away in 2012. How long has Western Oregon been a member? We almost got that win against your Western Oregon team losing 24 to 21. There will be drastic improvement this upcoming season.

There is not a University that can even compete with our academics and opportunities that we can provide for future recruits. And will become a focal point in recruiting.

I will take our struggles because eventually our program will get over that mountain. And won't be stuck in mediocrity like Western Oregon football. You might want to try and be more humble with that type of program and less arrogant.
    OK, point taken, the SFU remark shouldn't have happened. I apologize. I do applaud the Thomas Ford hire. Linfield pedigree is a positive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12