Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts of a Mule Fanatic

Default Thoughts of a Mule Fanatic

So today the Mules lost to Lindenwood at the Multi. This is the third home loss this year the same total that the team lost all last year at home. This year's opening home game was a loss the first opening game loss in more than a decade you can look it up in the archives like over 20 years. After the loss today I looked up coach Anderson's first 4 year win total and came up with 78-40 with two NCAA tournament appearances as of today coach K has a record of 74-35 and should have 10 conference games and a tournament left. Considering coach K was 25-7 his first year with coach Anderson's players his record is skewed and he has way under achieved. Coach Anderson's first year was 12-16 and 18-10 second year the third and fourth years records were 24-6 and 24-8. What does this tell you. That Anderson knew how to build a program and this coach inherited a national championship team full of seniors to be and quite frankly has not lived up to what Mule fans are used to or should expect. It's time for the powers that be look ahead and decide what the standard Mules fans should expect I for one am not happy with the current ones. Remaining games with Washburn, Central OK,Lindenwood in St. Charles and home and away games with Pitt.State and MO.Southern will determine the direction of this team and coach.
    Last edited by Mule4ever; 01-20-2018 at 08:30 PM.

Default Re: Thoughts of a Mule Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Mule4ever View Post
    So today the Mules lost to Lindenwood at the Multi. This is the third home loss this year the same total that the team lost all last year at home. This year's opening home game was a loss the first opening game loss in more than a decade you can look it up in the archives like over 20 years. After the loss today I looked up coach Anderson's first 4 year win total and came up with 88-40 with two NCAA tournament appearances as of today coach K has a record of 74-35 and should have 10 conference games and a tournament left. No way will 88 wins be achieved and considering coach K was 25-7 his first year with coach Anderson's players his record is skewed and he has way under achieved. Coach Anderson's first year was 12-16 and 18-10 second year the third and fourth years records were 24-6 and 24-8. What does this tell you. That Anderson knew how to build a program and this coach inherited a national championship team full of seniors to be and quite frankly has not lived up to what Mule fans are used to or should expect. It's time for the powers that be look ahead and decide what the standard mules fans should expect I for one am not happy with the current ones. Remaining games with Washburn, Central OK,Lindenwood in St. Charles and home and away games with Pitt.State and MO.Southern will determine the direction of this team and coach.
    It seems your year by year totals and overall total for Anderson's first 4 years are not equal. You said 88-40 but if you add up the year by year it is 78-40.

So today the Mules lost to Lindenwood at the Multi. This is the third home loss this year the same total that the team lost all last year at home. This year's opening home game was a loss the first opening game loss in more than a decade you can look it up in the archives like over 20 years. After the loss today I looked up coach Anderson's first 4 year win total and came up with 88-40 with two NCAA tournament appearances as of today coach K has a record of 74-35 and should have 10 conference games and a tournament left. No way will 88 wins be achieved and considering coach K was 25-7 his first year with coach Anderson's players his record is skewed and he has way under achieved. Coach Anderson's first year was 12-16 and 18-10 second year the third and fourth years records were 24-6 and 24-8. What does this tell you. That Anderson knew how to build a program and this coach inherited a national championship team full of seniors to be and quite frankly has not lived up to what Mule fans are used to or should expect. It's time for the powers that be look ahead and decide what the standard mules fans should expect I for one am not happy with the current ones. Remaining games with Washburn, Central OK,Lindenwood in St. Charles and home and away games with Pitt.State and MO.Southern will determine the direction of this team and coach.
    Perhaps the "Powers that be" like the idea of having competitive teams that reflect well on an educational institution? Look at the currant roster and compare GPA's of these student athletes to Coach A's kids. Google some of Anderson's team members and their arrest records it can be a bit of an eye opener. The game and competition have changed tremendously since Anderson's early days. I thought the NCAA had tightened transfer eligibility requirements from JUCOs in the last few years. Karelskint's guys might not be as athletic, but the effort they give their coach speaks for itself. That charge call late in the game on Lowerance could have just as well of been and and1 resulting in a 1 point game.

Funny thing about the MIAA, when you go to Northwest, the students and crowd are screaming for their team. Lindenwood, SBU, Washburn, same thing loud fans supporting their team. Coach K. was desperately trying to get the crowd to respond and give his players energy to feed off of. How did you respond? The game was within 4, at that time. Looking across the court at the reserved section there were maybe 10 people cheering.

Sorry about the math error my point is everyone said wait and see what coach K can accomplish well its not the same. Regardless of what so called character issues the wins and home court domination are not getting done. Coach K inherited a ready made program and coach A had to rebuild a decimated program of the past coach and unless things change this program is going downhill. So far this year the opening home game and today's loss should never have happened. Coach K has had 3.5 years as the head coach and has lost more home games than Coach A,lost in his final 10 years. I want results.
    Last edited by Mule4ever; 01-20-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MuleLove View Post
    Perhaps the "Powers that be" like the idea of having competitive teams that reflect well on an educational institution? Look at the currant roster and compare GPA's of these student athletes to Coach A's kids. Google some of Anderson's team members and their arrest records it can be a bit of an eye opener. The game and competition have changed tremendously since Anderson's early days. I thought the NCAA had tightened transfer eligibility requirements from JUCOs in the last few years. Karelskint's guys might not be as athletic, but the effort they give their coach speaks for itself. That charge call late in the game on Lowerance could have just as well of been and and1 resulting in a 1 point game.

Funny thing about the MIAA, when you go to Northwest, the students and crowd are screaming for their team. Lindenwood, SBU, Washburn, same thing loud fans supporting their team. Coach K. was desperately trying to get the crowd to respond and give his players energy to feed off of. How did you respond? The game was within 4, at that time. Looking across the court at the reserved section there were maybe 10 people cheering.
    Like the effort they put into rebounding being out rebounded 31-20. This is not just cherry picking a stat. The single biggest complaint heard in the stands on Saturday was rebounding. After a Mule miss there were frequently multiple Lions going for the rebound with no Mules in sight.

Now a few cherry picked stats from Saturdays box score/recap that I guess show that the fans are the reason the team lost.

Code:
    POINTS OFF TURNOVERS        1   2 - Tot
    Lindenwood..............    4   8 -  12
    Central Missouri........    2   2 -   4

POINTS IN PAINT             1   2 - Tot
    Lindenwood..............   18  16 -  34
    Central Missouri........    6  10 -  16

2ND CHANCE POINTS           1   2 - Tot
    Lindenwood..............    4   3 -   7
    Central Missouri........    2   0 -   2

FAST BREAK POINTS           1   2 - Tot
    Lindenwood..............    0   4 -   4
    Central Missouri........    0   0 -   0

BENCH POINTS                1   2 - Tot
    Lindenwood..............   12   0 -  12
    Central Missouri........    2   5 -   7

UCM wins two games this week on the road. Part of the frustration expressed is due to the inconsistent play just don't understand how a team can go on the road and beat good teams but lose at home to teams in the middle of the pack.

UCM wins two games this week on the road. Part of the frustration expressed is due to the inconsistent play just don't understand how a team can go on the road and beat good teams but lose at home to teams in the middle of the pack.
    It's a mystery for sure. I gave up on the Mules at the half and went to the gym. I was shocked when I got back and saw that the Mules had pulled off a big come from behind win. I caught about 5 minutes of the post game radio show, but I didn't get all the details on the comeback. Anyway, we'll take this big road win and see if it sparks the coach and the players to greater things.

So I get the feeling that my comments are falling on a lot of deaf ears. Anyway I want to say congratulations to the Mules for last night's home victory over Pitt. State, however how in the HECK do you go from being up 20 at the 12:40 mark to being tied and winning on a last second shot. This is why the team in my opinion will have to at least finish second and have a good MIAA tournament run to make the post season. With a home and away with MO. Southern and games in St. Charles and at Pitt. State this will be a challenge. The worm may turn after this year as far as the top dogs in the conference but the lack of post season is disheartening under the current coach.

So I get the feeling that my comments are falling on a lot of deaf ears. Anyway I want to say congratulations to the Mules for last night's home victory over Pitt. State, however how in the HECK do you go from being up 20 at the 12:40 mark to being tied and winning on a last second shot. This is why the team in my opinion will have to at least finish second and have a good MIAA tournament run to make the post season. With a home and away with MO. Southern and games in St. Charles and at Pitt. State this will be a challenge. The worm may turn after this year as far as the top dogs in the conference but the lack of post season is disheartening under the current coach.
    NW, WU and UCM are all safe to get in I think. The NSIC will have at least 3 and the GAC has a definite 1. The waters get very muddy after that for the 8th spot.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan88 View Post
    NW, WU and UCM are all safe to get in I think. The NSIC will have at least 3 and the GAC has a definite 1. The waters get very muddy after that for the 8th spot.
    Unless Southern or UCO wins the MIAA Tournament or some nobody wins the NSIC/GAC, I think UCM gets in.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatMediaStudent1 View Post
    Unless Southern or UCO wins the MIAA Tournament or some nobody wins the NSIC/GAC, I think UCM gets in.
    A lot of basketball still to play before conference tourney time. Everyone better take care of business or that may change.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepeman View Post
    A lot of basketball still to play before conference tourney time. Everyone better take care of business or that may change.
    You got that right Thepeman. I don't know about everybody else's schedule, but UCM plays 1 home game and 4 road game to finish the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Mule View Post
    You got that right Thepeman. I don't know about everybody else's schedule, but UCM plays 1 home game and 4 road game to finish the regular season.
    And they're mostly tough opponents, IMO. Central has some work to do.

14. Default Re: Thoughts of a Mule Fanatic

With Southern playing UCM twice, with the first one being tomorrow, we could definitely play the role of spoiler.

15. Default Re: Thoughts of a Mule Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by mosofan1 View Post
    With Southern playing UCM twice, with the first one being tomorrow, we could definitely play the role of spoiler.
    IMHO, the sports "spoiler" definition also would include something along the lines of "nothing else to play for". Southern is jockeying for an MIAA 3 seed or frankly could still finish second (technically even first but one would be ridiculous to think the current top 3 are all going to fall apart).

Stated another way, Southern has 4 league losses right now and it is my belief that 4 losses would at least get you a tie for second in the standings by the time we've all played our 19 conference games.

BTW, it does seem hard to believe we would win our final five MIAA games...but just making a point.

16. Default Re: Thoughts of a Mule Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post
    IMHO, the sports "spoiler" definition also would include something along the lines of "nothing else to play for". Southern is jockeying for an MIAA 3 seed or frankly could still finish second (technically even first but one would be ridiculous to think the current top 3 are all going to fall apart).

Stated another way, Southern has 4 league losses right now and it is my belief that 4 losses would at least get you a tie for second in the standings by the time we've all played our 19 conference games.

BTW, it does seem hard to believe we would win our final five MIAA games...but just making a point.
    The reason I chose to say spoiler role, is due to the popular belief on this board that Southern's only shot to advance to the regional is to win the MIAA tournament. That sounds like nothing to play for until the MIAA tournament. So, let's win 4 out of 5 and make it interesting!

17. Default Re: Thoughts of a Mule Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by mosofan1 View Post
    The reason I chose to say spoiler role, is due to the popular belief on this board that Southern's only shot to advance to the regional is to win the MIAA tournament. That sounds like nothing to play for until the MIAA tournament. So, let's win 4 out of 5 and make it interesting!
    A Lions win tomorrow afternoon would put us in a tie for third with the Mules, and at least for now we'd hold the tiebreaker.

I agree with you, a 4-1 league finish combined with a deep run in the tourney could be enough to get us in the top 8.

18. Default Re: Thoughts of a Mule Fanatic

Mssu 76. Ucm 69

19. Default Re: Thoughts of a Mule Fanatic

Mules go to MO.Southern and LOSE. Had a big scoring drought with the lead and MSSU scores 13 points and takes control of game. Not surprising that they lost as NWMSU also lost at Joplin it's just the way the Mules do things now with this coach. The team will have to get back on a winning streak as in more than a couple to secure a NCAA bid.

20. Default Re: Thoughts of a Mule Fanatic

So, I got bored this morning and went to the UCM website and read about Saturdays game at Joplin the article stated that under coach K the Mules are 21-19 on the road during his tenure. That really means they have had a losing road record during the last three years with his players,only reason he went 25-7 his first year was he didn't recruit most of the players who played on that team. He really has under achieved.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast